Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mansion Refurb idea's

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mansion Refurb idea's

    Hey everyone...I know Im jumping the gun here, but I just have to talk/think about "Post Covid" life for a minute. What specifics do we know about what updates/refreshes that DL is planning for the Mansion? This is def one of my top 3 attractions at the park and I was wondering what the Imagneers have planned for my beloved attraction. I also hope that because of our current "normal" that Disney decides to give the Holiday Make over a break this year and let us enjoy any updates that they have planned that dont involve freakin Christmas. Thanks and I hope everyone is ok and staying safe!

  • #2
    If anyone year was to break for it...it would be this one.

    To me Indy and HM are both the best rides that could use some plussing to make them 2020 E tickets.
    HM could use some projection effects in the attic scene to make it that room finally feel complete. Also I so badly want a Holographic ghost that "follows" you throw a few of the rooms Along with the ending effect in the mirrors to be upgraded
    Happy Halloween!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Yea I totally agree with Indy and Mansion!
      I would love to see the technology/lighting updated throughout the entire ride..especially when you see this in full display with "newer rides" like in Shanghai and what they did with Pirates. I would love to see them really update the loading area (Doom Buggies) and even the Graveyard scene...shoot, the whole ride actually. It would be cool if they could add a low lying fog effect in the Graveyard

      Comment


      • #4
        Disney better not come within ten feet of those mirrors. Just sayin’

        Comment


        • #5
          LOL...exactly!! It would also be cool if they could introduce some sort of interactive line queue mechanisms like they have in Florida

          Comment


          • #6
            This is a great topic. Thanks for posting.

            I agree that Indy and HM are the two e-tickets most in need of "plussing."

            Indy's "plussing" should in part be a return to greater realism, with a lot less emphasis on blacklight / florescent paint (which is looking really cheesy, not up to Disney standards for an e-ticket), something to replace the the "rats on a log" scene (e.g., the "smoke explosion" from Tokyo), and perhaps replacing the painted skeletons in the dart room with dimensional ones (that's one of the cheesiest "blacklight" moments, I think, along with the way-too-florescent snake).

            As for Haunted Mansion...

            I think the biggest "plus" would actually be an addition to the foyer. The WDW and TDL foyer scenes have the "aging portrait," and the new DLP foyer scene has some amazing projection effects along with a "backwards-aging-portrait." Since DL's HM is already the shortest version of the ride, I think that making the foyer into a true show scene would go a long way, because it would essentially add a show scene to the experience. However, to accomplish this, they would need to add a little more to the "shutters" that block out the light in front of the entrance door, because the foyer would need to be a little darker.

            What do people think of these?

            PS As some other posters mentioned, it would be great if they could also add some more theming / interesting elements to the outdoor switchback queue (even if they're not "interactive")...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by md6379a View Post
              This is a great topic. Thanks for posting.

              I agree that Indy and HM are the two e-tickets most in need of "plussing."

              Indy's "plussing" should in part be a return to greater realism, with a lot less emphasis on blacklight / florescent paint (which is looking really cheesy, not up to Disney standards for an e-ticket), something to replace the the "rats on a log" scene (e.g., the "smoke explosion" from Tokyo), and perhaps replacing the painted skeletons in the dart room with dimensional ones (that's one of the cheesiest "blacklight" moments, I think, along with the way-too-florescent snake).

              As for Haunted Mansion...

              I think the biggest "plus" would actually be an addition to the foyer. The WDW and TDL foyer scenes have the "aging portrait," and the new DLP foyer scene has some amazing projection effects along with a "backwards-aging-portrait." Since DL's HM is already the shortest version of the ride, I think that making the foyer into a true show scene would go a long way, because it would essentially add a show scene to the experience. However, to accomplish this, they would need to add a little more to the "shutters" that block out the light in front of the entrance door, because the foyer would need to be a little darker.

              What do people think of these?

              PS As some other posters mentioned, it would be great if they could also add some more theming / interesting elements to the outdoor switchback queue (even if they're not "interactive")...
              Thanks md6379a!!!

              Yea I didnt add the whole Indy element because thats a whole other topic in itself. But great idea's based on what we have to work with.

              Im good with all of the idea's thus far for Mansion. But how cool would it also be, if they added (and on random days/events) a CM in that Knight suit in the hallway of doors area?
              Man that would be awesome!!! and just one other thing that could really take you by surprise and really add that one "creepy" element to this beloved ride, that would always work and wouldnt have to rely on technology and updates

              Comment


              • #8
                I think all HM needs is a little updating to some of the effects. Most of it is just fine as-is.

                I like the idea of the bride in the attic, but the execution has always looked a little off. I’d love to see that improved for sure. Maybe use a different projection method or a better AA. Seeing the source video recently made me think that could be so much better with a little tweaking.

                I also think that finally changing the loading area from a smoky ethereal limbo to something more like what we have in Phantom Manor would give that room more meaning. A grand staircase or perhaps a picture window overlooking the graveyard. I think that room is the most under developed park of the attraction.
                Mike_M

                Disneyland Trips
                Walt Disney World
                Disneyland Paris

                1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                1990, 1992, 1993

                2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019
                2020

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

                  I also think that finally changing the loading area from a smoky ethereal limbo to something more like what we have in Phantom Manor would give that room more meaning. A grand staircase or perhaps a picture window overlooking the graveyard. I think that room is the most under developed park of the attraction.
                  DESPERATELY want to see something for the loading area. I understand the DL is tradition, bit virtually all other iterations of the ride have seen some form of addition to this area that improves. I don't expect a grand stair case, as it might require too much work. But...as much as screens aren't preferred, this would probably be a perfect space to place a really detailed, moody, projected grand window effect. At least with projections, if it doesn't work, they could be removed and replaced with a detailed mural.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    They should just do a projection with movement based on the original Coats artwork planned for the loading area. Seems like a pretty simple and inexpensive thing to try out.
                    Last edited by greenalfonzo; 05-21-2020, 12:46 AM.
                    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                      They should just do a projection with movement based on the original artwork planned for the loading area. Seems like a pretty simple and inexpensive thing to try out.
                      Like, legitimately, it doesn't have to be permanent. Put up a wall length scrim and put up projections for potential ideas and scenes. Ask people at the end whether they liked it, tweak it. If it doesn't work, then we call it a day and stick with the blank wall.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Here's my 5 cents on what I'd like to see in the refurb: the return of a scrapped portrait (I guess this is what the photo box is for), the ballroom animatronics updated like the ones at phantom manor was, maybe fix some lighting in some areas, update the loading scene and I also hope that they (hot take) rehaul the attic- Constance, I dont know how to sugar coat this, looks terrible, her effect looks really, really bad. I don't know why they haven't updated her or just given her an animatronic.

                        I'd love to see one of the old beating heart brides return, or them just come up with a new bride altogether (with some semblance of a story but is still ambiguous) to keep the concept or cycle of rotating brides going. I know it's unlikely, but I'd love to see It!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Yesnomaybeso View Post
                          Here's my 5 cents on what I'd like to see in the refurb: the return of a scrapped portrait (I guess this is what the photo box is for), the ballroom animatronics updated like the ones at phantom manor was, maybe fix some lighting in some areas, update the loading scene and I also hope that they (hot take) rehaul the attic- Constance, I dont know how to sugar coat this, looks terrible, her effect looks really, really bad. I don't know why they haven't updated her or just given her an animatronic.

                          I'd love to see one of the old beating heart brides return, or them just come up with a new bride altogether (with some semblance of a story but is still ambiguous) to keep the concept or cycle of rotating brides going. I know it's unlikely, but I'd love to see It!
                          Yes, I think that hits upon everything.
                          1. A changing portrait in the Foyer would make that room into an actual "show scene" (as mentioned above) and thus help DL's HM to become a "more complete experience" (as I've seen WDW's HM described). I really hope this is what the "photo box" is for...
                          2. The "blank space" concept no longer works for the loading area, now that they've made the lights in that room brighter (apparently). Turning that into an actual scene with more to look at could definitely be an improvement. They should also slightly reduce the brightness of the "moving walkway" warning light, because it's currently at a brightness-level designed to make it visible in a bright room rather than in a dark room.
                          3. Yes, yes, YES re Constance. That effect is an embarrassment. I don't understand how they've allowed it to remain that way for so long.
                          Working on these issues could make one of DL's greatest attractions even greater (and help it continue to impress riders for decades to come).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Yesnomaybeso View Post
                            Here's my 5 cents on what I'd like to see in the refurb: the return of a scrapped portrait (I guess this is what the photo box is for), the ballroom animatronics updated like the ones at phantom manor was, maybe fix some lighting in some areas, update the loading scene and I also hope that they (hot take) rehaul the attic- Constance, I dont know how to sugar coat this, looks terrible, her effect looks really, really bad. I don't know why they haven't updated her or just given her an animatronic.

                            I'd love to see one of the old beating heart brides return, or them just come up with a new bride altogether (with some semblance of a story but is still ambiguous) to keep the concept or cycle of rotating brides going. I know it's unlikely, but I'd love to see It!
                            The attic scene as it currently is, its something of a mess. As has been pointed out in numerous LFHM threads, the original intention was for the whole mansion to be filled with "grim grinning ghosts" that played more like jokes and gags, with the attic being the one place that was supposed to be "actually scary" thanks to the bride. But with Cadence, it's kind of become more cheesy? Which is ironic, because other elements of the previous attic iterations , like the pop up ghosts, were called cheesy for not fitting in with the silvery Spector, midnight black, or beating heart brides.

                            As you had said, it could be vastly improved by even basic additions like an actual animatronic figure for cadence. If we were forced to have a new bride, I might suggest a sort of hybrid of cadence and the previous iterations or at least their tropes? The most "scary" part of the current bride seems to be the implication that, unlike the other ghosts who literally manifest as spectorial forms and dance freely around the ballroom and the grave yard, Cadence appears bound to her wedding dress and/or the mannequin that wears it. Why not roll with that idea and combine it with that mysterious and possibly sinister angle of the previous brides? Turn off the constant projection and wind affect, slow the buggys as they enter the attic, and slightly obscure Cadence so you can only see her as your buggy passes infront of her. Bring back the heartbeat sound effect that plays in time with the wedding March, and have it get progressively louder until you're right infront of the bride. And as for actual bride herself, have her be an actual mannequin from the Victorian era, with lots of wear and tear, but when you finally get the full view of her, you see the return of the beating heart effect under the fabric of the mannequin's chest, and glowing yellow eyes on its face. Maybe add little movements to the mannequin in the form of twitching arms or the neck (though yes, I am aware that "dress forms" of the time usually didn't have arms or even heads, but not everything has to be perfect for the time period). If imagineers want to be REALLY creative, maybe have the projected face of Cadence "emerge" from the head of the mannequin every once in a while to utter her current voice lines, but have it be a "sometimes" thing, instead of trying to get the effect to work for every single ride vehicle while the mansion is running at it's current faster pace it's been in since around 2015.
                            Last edited by SkunkID; 06-05-2020, 11:52 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I pretty much agree with you SkunkID and I like your ideas! (still kind of curious why they don't update her-they have the tree bride who actually looks fantastic and could easily be in her place ) but I think they could always do a compromise of sorts with the bride- make it an AA animatronic that appears to morph (via lighting effects)? ((This is based on an old Marc Davis concept of the ghost bride) so she appears as the melancholic original bride, but morphs into a more corpse like sinister version of Constance that doesn't talk (I feel like the puns just don't fit her??) And they just work to make the scene a bit more ambigious with hidden clues as to who she is.
                              pretty much any update to Constance and the attic at this point would be an improvement- especially when she's so far outclassed by her neighbor Hatty.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Yesnomaybeso View Post
                                I pretty much agree with you SkunkID and I like your ideas! (still kind of curious why they don't update her-they have the tree bride who actually looks fantastic and could easily be in her place ) but I think they could always do a compromise of sorts with the bride- make it an AA animatronic that appears to morph (via lighting effects)? ((This is based on an old Marc Davis concept of the ghost bride) so she appears as the melancholic original bride, but morphs into a more corpse like sinister version of Constance that doesn't talk (I feel like the puns just don't fit her??) And they just work to make the scene a bit more ambigious with hidden clues as to who she is.
                                pretty much any update to Constance and the attic at this point would be an improvement- especially when she's so far outclassed by her neighbor Hatty.
                                Tree Bride? What are you referring to?

                                I tend to agree the Constance effect at DL is essentially a bust. She hasn't looked good in more than a decade. And it's clear that they've fussed with her in that time, so someone with power must not be happy with her either.

                                When it was first rumored they were making a change to a more sinister, effects-laden Attic Bride I expected something much more in the vein of The Hatbox Ghost - a new Animatronic that was plussed up with some projection technology and some sort of old school illusioneering. Smooth movements, a little more dynamic than the figure she was replacing, and with a cool practical effect that turned her candle into an axe. When she finally debuted I did think what we got was cool . . . until I saw it in person. She looked flat, weird, too bright, and totally unbelievable. Meanwhile The Hatbox Ghost has the complete opposite effect - dark, creepy, sculpturally rich, and with an impressive magic trick. If we got a new Bride that lived up to him I'd be one happy camper.

                                Constance has been in the Attic for almost 15 years, I'm ready for a new take. They can keep the wedding portraits if they want, I can live with the story, but the Bride deserves to be an impressive figure like The Hatbox Ghost.
                                www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

                                https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

                                "The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
                                -X. Atencio


                                "Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
                                ~Alice Davis



                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  yensidtlaw1969 can I just say you're a very eloquent person? I really liked your description of Hatty 😁
                                  and I was talking about this Marc Davis portrait- I was just making stuff up about the light part- since I've seen them pull of an effect like this in POC with captain Barbossa, where thanks to the lighting he goes from looking relatively human to ghastly.


                                  Attached Files

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    I might be missing something but wasn't the HM simply a refurb and there wasn't any indication of any plussing happening? I thought there was a thread that basically said that the refurb was just to repair the damage caused by the holiday overlay and to clean the scrims in the graveyard seen and give the attraction a much needed deep cleaning?

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      The attic could use some deep cleaning, (but it's all wishful thinking)
                                      but I've seen a youtube video theorize that an addition of a photo box in a pre-existing wall, and some 'sort of lights?' Would be coming. I don't know what it's exactly for but it's pretty interesting.
                                       

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Yesnomaybeso View Post
                                        The attic could use some deep cleaning, (but it's all wishful thinking)
                                        but I've seen a youtube video theorize that an addition of a photo box in a pre-existing wall, and some 'sort of lights?' Would be coming. I don't know what it's exactly for but it's pretty interesting.
                                        The "photo box" in the preexisting wall (which is described in the permits, apparently) is what made me (optimistically) guess that they could finally be adding the "aging portrait" to the foyer. If you haven't seen this in WDW's foyer, you can watch the effect here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRp4CiUnuWY That effect makes WDW's foyer a true show scene.

                                        Unfortunately, the foyer is shaped differently in DL, so the portrait would probably need be on the north wall of the room, or else be smaller and squeezed between the two stretching room entrance doors.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X