Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] DLH DVC Tower

https://www.dailybulletin.com/2020/0...e-share-tower/

Article has picture of a model of the way the DLH will look with the new DVC tower. Apparently a meeting was held with Walnut St residents to provide them with information about the proposed construction.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

I'm honestly surprised that this hasn't been delayed or shelved from the Coronavirus epidemic.The tiered balconies and private pool were not in the original plan. I wonder if the spa was canned in favor of the pool.

The tiered balconies sound interesting, but it's bizarre that they placed them facing away from the hotel, instead of facing inward. There's not much of an appealing westward view, to be considered enticing.

Comment

I guess (from the article) that the 'tiered backside' is to make it easier to obscure the building with trees so the Walnut St homes aren't facing a huge tower.

Although (as usual) the 'final product' may bear no resemblance whatsoever to the first 'drafts'.
      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Not surprised at all that this is not paused. DVC represents a great value for Disney, ongoing cash for maintenance fees on contracts that are almost impossible to get out of. Timeshares are always generally a poor value at best, someone did the math once, you’d need to stay at a Disney resort every year for something like 30 years to break even on most DVC contracts. Smart on Disney’s part as it guarantees people will vacation on property, and if that’s what people want to do hey it may work for them.

As for the tiers my guess is not only does it break up the tower visually but it MAY also mean more larger villas, which again makes more money.

Take a studio vs one bedroom, one bedroom sleeps one more person but costs double the points. So Disney gets double the cash without needing to construct nearly as much. That extrapolates upward to the grand villas, where the cost vs square footage means Disney gets way more $$ for an area way smaller than an equivalent number of studio rooms would be. Most DVC properties have one maybe two grand villas, they may be killing two birds with one stone here; fixing the sight lines while also adding a larger number of lucrative grand villa rooms with large balconies as selling points.

I don’t mind it, DVC properties can be easily rented from owners often at rates far far lower than hotel rack rates. We’ve gotten GCH one bedrooms at a $700-800 savings over the same week in a hotel room, so DVC additions don’t necessarily mean more stock only for DVC members. Maybe this will even take pressure off the GCH stock, one can hope!

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post
          Not surprised at all that this is not paused. DVC represents a great value for Disney, ongoing cash for maintenance fees on contracts that are almost impossible to get out of. Timeshares are always generally a poor value at best, someone did the math once, you’d need to stay at a Disney resort every year for something like 30 years to break even on most DVC contracts. Smart on Disney’s part as it guarantees people will vacation on property, and if that’s what people want to do hey it may work for them.
          However, will the demand still be there after the epidemic lifts?

Post 9/11, Construction on WDW's Pop Century was delayed and eventually the western portion was abandoned mid-construction. The unfinished rooms weren't even completed for about a decade, where they were later re-branded as the Art of Animation Resort.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
            However, will the demand still be there after the epidemic lifts?

Post 9/11, Construction on WDW's Pop Century was delayed and eventually the western portion was abandoned mid-construction. The unfinished rooms weren't even completed for about a decade, where they were later re-branded as the Art of Animation Resort.
            The....optimist? In me hopes that they struggle which would then drive down room prices to a more reasonable rate. However.....the low number of rooms ,approx 3500, in DLR overall means there will likely always be enough people to fill them. The well off casual Disney family will want to stay on property.

The fact that they are DVC makes it a bit murkier. Timeshare purchases tend to TANK in economic downturns. The resale market usually booms because people who need money try to get out of contracts and recoup Furthermore, because real estate price tend to plummet, see Arizona in 2008, people look to buy those instead of timeshares.

That being said, Disney has combatted the former by effectively making second market DVC purchasers second class citizens in terms of perks. Disney vacations also represent a different value than most timeshares, but their high cost also means the demographic looking to purchase them is also the demographic that would be in the market for a vacation home.

edit to also add in, totally agree about possibility of downturn that you mentioned. However, Disney market now is very different than 9/11 era, it exploded after the 50th and has now hit a status where nothing seems to curb popularity. It is a trend, largely driven by the nostalgia trend in pop culture right now, it will die down like everything else. People always forget these things...grunge 90s was completely the antithesis of Disney and lots of tweens, teens, and twenties would not have been caught dead enjoying Disney. For now though I think there will definitely be a downturn but not as big as 9/11

Comment

food, clothing and shelter over DVC any day...
              I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

With the worst unemployment in generations I can't see this working out well. The white collar layoffs will start soon once the quarterly reports start coming in with little to no profit and lots of businesses are going to close down and a lot more layoffs to come. A time share with a sky high price is a terrible idea in this economy. Give it five to ten years.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X