Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Making Disneyland Treats at Home - Mint Juleps and Mickey beignets

Hopefully everyone is holding up okay in these crazy times. Yes, it's been months since we've been able to go to Disneyland but we've been keeping ourselves entertained every weekend. Theresa and I have been getting really into baking and making lots of different foods at home.

We're kicking off yet another series today. Disneyland Treats at Home! First we're going to make Mint Juleps.
    When I think of Mint Juleps, I immediately think of Disneyland. And if you're already in New Orleans Square at the Mint Julep Bar, why not go ahead and get a sack of Mickey beignets too?

Using the Disneyland inspired recipe for Mint Juleps from SimplyInspiredMeals.com we are going to need lemonade, lime-ade, and a Mint Simple Syrup.
    I grabbed a bag of limes while I was doing the weekly shopping. We're going to making this lime-ade and lemonade ourselves.

These limes are really juicy!

Alli helped squeeze the limes too.

Time to make the Mint Simple Syrup. And guess who happens to have Mint growing in the front yard!

Ian and Alli will regularly grab a mint leaf and chew on it when they're playing in the front yard. For today's recipe, we're going to need a small bowl full of mint leaves.

After washing the leaves off, I added them to a sauce pan with half a cup of sugar and half a cup of water. I mashed up the leaves as best as I could to release the oils and brought the whole thing to a boil. Now it just needs to simmer for 10 minutes.

Alli and Ian both like helping in the kitchen. They're good helpers. I see you back there Alli, waiting your turn to stir.

After straining it a couple times, we've got this tasty mint syrup.

Now it's time to get beignets ready. I'm using Paula Deen's beignet recipe for the batter.

After mixing and then letting the dough rise and rest for 2 hours, it's time to fry them up! And if we're going to imitate Disneyland they've got to be Mickey shaped! I've got a couple size cutters, so we're going to make both. First I used the sandwich bread sized cutter. Those turned out pretty good.

But these mini Mickey heads are adorable.

So cute with all those Mickey's floating in that hot oil.

Naked beignets.

Bam! Hit them with a little powdered sugar!

You got the right idea Alli! Time to combine the Lime-ade, Lemonade, and Mint Syrup all together.

Add a sprig of fresh mint and it's a beauty!

Time to eat them!

This little boy is wasting no time.

Alli wanted honey for hers. And then after she got the honey, she wanted powdered sugar too. After dipping the beignet into honey, the powdered sugar sticks much better.

Oh wow, this Mint Julep is so tasty! The Mint Syrup turned out really good.

And I wasn't the only one who thought so. Chi was so amazed at the flavor of the Mint Julep. She's loving all these new creations that Theresa and I are coming up with now.

Wow. He ate all those and even wanted more... No more right now buddy, I think we've ruined your dinner already.

I'm glad we were able to bring just a little bit of Disneyland home. We'll have to see what all we can come up with in this Disneyland Treats at Home series.
    Visit my blog at http://flowerstales.blogspot.com/

I stayed overnight in the Disneyland Dream Suite! Read all about it here!
    Joe's Epic Overnight Disneyland Dream Suite Trip Report

Treats at Home - Mint Juleps and Mickey beignets

Sound like a winner ........in my Book
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Impressive!! I'm looking forward to more from this series. I hope you try the dole whip recipe they published about a month ago. I wanted to try making an orange-pineapple whip, but my grocery store was out of vanilla ice cream. weird.
      "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
        Treats at Home - Mint Juleps and Mickey beignets

Sound like a winner ........in my Book
        They're tasty indeed!

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
        Impressive!! I'm looking forward to more from this series. I hope you try the dole whip recipe they published about a month ago. I wanted to try making an orange-pineapple whip, but my grocery store was out of vanilla ice cream. weird.
        I saw that recipe for Dole Whip that Disney published, but since it contained dairy, I know it can't be the real thing. Perhaps I'll find a copycat version from online and compare it to the Disney released version. See what I like best.
        Orange and Pineapple would be tasty I'm sure!

I'm still trying to decide what to try next. Snacks are always popular at my house. Perhaps something from Pooh Corner, like a marshmallow wand, or a homemade Churro. We'll see!

Comment

Awesome! Very positive and fun!
          I love the great family photos, too. Adorable kiddos!

Comment

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Nice! Really nice. The kids are adorable. Did you use spearmint or peppermint in the mint julip? It looks like spearmint. Am I right?

Comment

Thank you for sharing this! It put a smile on my face! Will try to copy soon!
                ―George Darling

It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Toad View Post
                  Awesome! Very positive and fun!
                  I love the great family photos, too. Adorable kiddos!
                  Originally posted by Gamedog View Post
                  Very cool, thanks for sharing!
                  Originally posted by Mom kissed Walt View Post
                  Thank you for sharing this! It put a smile on my face! Will try to copy soon!
                  Thanks all! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Originally posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post
                  Nice! Really nice. The kids are adorable. Did you use spearmint or peppermint in the mint julip? It looks like spearmint. Am I right?
                  I actually don't know which plant species it is. I don't think it's peppermint because I'm not getting a strong menthol flavor, so you might just be right in your spearmint deduction.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X