Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Monte Cristo Sandwich at any Disney World Park?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] No Monte Cristo Sandwich at any Disney World Park?

Up until now, I just assumed that I could still get most of my favorite treats at Disney World.

Monte Cristo Sandwiches, for example, must be there. I mean, they are a Disney classic. A bit heavy (basically, a meat and cheese filled donut), but that's part of the appeal for those who crave it. Seemed obvious that you could also get them at Disney World.

However, a casual search revealed that this might not be the case. It looks like one might be able to get something called "Monte Cristo Sandwich" at an on property hotel. But I wasn't able to find anyplace selling them at a Disney World park.

Is that true?

In order to prepare myself in advance, what other "must have" DLR Park treats are not currently available at a Disney World Park?
    Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

According to https://chipandco.com/the-monte-cris...d%20delicious., you can find it at WDW at the new Riviera resort.

Comment

At the Riviera Resort. Very tasty. You’ll find WDW is very different than Disneyland and so is the food.

Comment

Or, make your own.

Ingredients

1 egg
        1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons water
        1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
        1/4 teaspoon salt
        1 teaspoon baking powder
        8 slices egg bread (challah works well), sliced 1/2-inch thick
        8 thin slices ham
        8 thin slices turkey
        8 thin slices Swiss cheese
        3 cups canola oil
        Confectioners sugar
        Blackberry preserves

Preparation

Line a cookie sheet with paper towels; set aside. Whisk the egg and water together in a mixing bowl. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and whisk thoroughly for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth, sc sides of bowl. On one slice of bread, arrange 2 slices of ham, turkey, and cheese, covering the bread evenly. Place another slice of bread on top and slice each sandwich in half diagonally.

Heat oil to between 365 degrees F and 375 degrees F in a 10-inch pan. Do not let the oil reach a higher temperature than this; if the oil starts to smoke, turn the heat down. Dip half of the sandwich into the batter, allowing excess to drain, and very carefully place into the oil. Repeat with the other sandwich half. Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Place the cooked sandwich on the prepared cookie sheet in a warm oven until ready to serve. Repeat with the other three sandwiches.

Cook one at a time, and allow the oil to reach the desired temperature between each. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve with blackberry preserves on the side.
        “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
        so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
        WDW Trips: '81
        EPCOT Trips: '93
        Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Thanks everyone! I will definitely check out the Riviera Resort. And I might even try making my own!

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
            Or, make your own.

Ingredients

1 egg
            1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons water
            1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
            1/4 teaspoon salt
            1 teaspoon baking powder
            8 slices egg bread (challah works well), sliced 1/2-inch thick
            8 thin slices ham
            8 thin slices turkey
            8 thin slices Swiss cheese
            3 cups canola oil
            Confectioners sugar
            Blackberry preserves

Preparation

Line a cookie sheet with paper towels; set aside. Whisk the egg and water together in a mixing bowl. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and whisk thoroughly for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth, sc sides of bowl. On one slice of bread, arrange 2 slices of ham, turkey, and cheese, covering the bread evenly. Place another slice of bread on top and slice each sandwich in half diagonally.

Heat oil to between 365 degrees F and 375 degrees F in a 10-inch pan. Do not let the oil reach a higher temperature than this; if the oil starts to smoke, turn the heat down. Dip half of the sandwich into the batter, allowing excess to drain, and very carefully place into the oil. Repeat with the other sandwich half. Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Place the cooked sandwich on the prepared cookie sheet in a warm oven until ready to serve. Repeat with the other three sandwiches.

Cook one at a time, and allow the oil to reach the desired temperature between each. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve with blackberry preserves on the side.

* droooool... *

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Wash it down with a MINT JULEP

This iconic Disneyland beverage was also sold on the Mark Twain.

Makes 2 quarts

2 cups granulated sugar
              6 cups water
              1 1/4 ounces pure lime juice concentrate
              8 1/2 ounces lemonade concentrate
              24 ounces creme de menthe syrup (non-alcoholic)

Combine sugar and water in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in lime juice and lemonade concentrate.

Add crème de menthe syrup and mix well.

Over medium-high heat, bring to 185 degrees F. Do not boil.

Remove from heat and refrigerate until well chilled.

To make juleps, use 1 part syrup to 5 parts chilled water.

For the adult version, substitute parts bourbon for parts water to taste.
              We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
              The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post
                Wash it down with a MINT JULEP

This iconic Disneyland beverage was also sold on the Mark Twain.

Makes 2 quarts

2 cups granulated sugar
                6 cups water
                1 1/4 ounces pure lime juice concentrate
                8 1/2 ounces lemonade concentrate
                24 ounces creme de menthe syrup (non-alcoholic)

Combine sugar and water in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in lime juice and lemonade concentrate.

Add crème de menthe syrup and mix well.

Over medium-high heat, bring to 185 degrees F. Do not boil.

Remove from heat and refrigerate until well chilled.

To make juleps, use 1 part syrup to 5 parts chilled water.

For the adult version, substitute parts bourbon for parts water to taste.
                Please tell me I can get this in Magic Kingdom!

Comment

The absence of New Orleans Square at Magic Kingdom feels strange, but I'm glad that park is so different from Disneyland because it makes our little original that much more special.
                  Since the Riviera just opened, I wonder if Monte Cristos were offered anywhere else on property before that. I would have thought Port Orleans Resort.

Facebook me!
                  Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X