Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Candle Company scents

Just got my first order in from them yesterday after hearing them mentioned as sponsors on Youtube for years. Got a set of 4 wax melts: Splash, Pirate Life, Haunted and Pineapple Whip.

I'll preface by saying they do smell good, though my girlfriend isn't a fan of the Haunted scent, but I am a bit..confused. Even outside of the sponsorships on Youtube, I often see them really talked up, like people saying "OMG it actually smells like you're riding Pirates" and I just..don't get it. Like, it smells good and maybe I get a little hint of it, but between Splash yesterday and Pirate Life today, neither actually smells like the water or anything on the ride at all to me, at least not enough that I feel like I am sitting in the log or boat or anything like that. The Pineapple Whip is much closer, but I figure that's kind of a given, not exactly hard to recreate that sort of smell.

Is this like an Emperor's new clothes sorta thing and I'm just not in on it or what?

It's not just you. The reviews are definitely mixed...

Which company sells the best Disney scented candles?

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

I feel there way a company a few years ago selling a "dark ride" inspired most that many people said was spot on for pirates. What happened to it? Haven't heard anything since this new company popped up

Comment

Agreed. I bought Pirates Life and Haunted candles and although they smell good with just a hint of the attractions, it really isn't like the rides. It's more like a nod to the scents in the ride instead of the actual smell.
        "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main ... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life."
        -Walt Disney

Comment

I got Haunted, Pirate Water, and Pineapple Whip. The Whip one is super accurate. Smells like delicious Dole Whip. The Pirate Water, while it still smells very good, it doesn't really have the Bromine-y water scent from the ride. It reminded me more of the Jungle Cruise, really. The Haunted one smells good, it's just not what I'd imagine a mansion smelling like. It has some cedar in there I believe, and it smells very woodsy. They may not smell like Disneyland, but they're still very good candles I've been burning constantly. Also, their hand sanitizers work very well and smell nice!

Comment

Originally posted by NGW View Post
            Just got my first order in from them yesterday after hearing them mentioned as sponsors on Youtube for years. Got a set of 4 wax melts: Splash, Pirate Life, Haunted and Pineapple Whip.

I'll preface by saying they do smell good, though my girlfriend isn't a fan of the Haunted scent, but I am a bit..confused. Even outside of the sponsorships on Youtube, I often see them really talked up, like people saying "OMG it actually smells like you're riding Pirates" and I just..don't get it. Like, it smells good and maybe I get a little hint of it, but between Splash yesterday and Pirate Life today, neither actually smells like the water or anything on the ride at all to me, at least not enough that I feel like I am sitting in the log or boat or anything like that. The Pineapple Whip is much closer, but I figure that's kind of a given, not exactly hard to recreate that sort of smell.

Is this like an Emperor's new clothes sorta thing and I'm just not in on it or what?
            My wife has all of their candles but sadly, you bought 4 of their worst scents. Some of the best are the Contemporary, Polynesian, Japan, Christmas Tree, the Haunted Holiday and Pinocchios Village. If your thinking of buying any more, ask me first. Some of them are great but some of them clearly are not.
            Last edited by tarheelalum; 06-12-2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

This is what has always stopped me from buying their candles. Nothing wrong with using the parks as inspiration only, but it wasn’t what I wanted. I do agree it is a bit like Emperor’s new clothes because it is heavily implied in their slogan that these scents are recreation of your vacation.

I did end up trying some scents from Spireside and while lovely (I even repurchased some), they too were not the Disney-at-home I was looking for. The Forbidden Temple has lovely smoky scent and while I would agree that it is evocative of the ride’s mood, it is not that same hard-to-describe musk I smell on Indy.
              Your false dichotomy bores me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
                This is what has always stopped me from buying their candles. Nothing wrong with using the parks as inspiration only, but it wasn’t what I wanted. I do agree it is a bit like Emperor’s new clothes because it is heavily implied in their slogan that these scents are recreation of your vacation.

I did end up trying some scents from Spireside and while lovely (I even repurchased some), they too were not the Disney-at-home I was looking for. The Forbidden Temple has lovely smoky scent and while I would agree that it is evocative of the ride’s mood, it is not that same hard-to-describe musk I smell on Indy.
                Here ,I though you love the Pirate Water,smell / scent
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

Here ,I though you love the Pirate Water,smell / scent
                  I don’t get FOMO with the festivals, fancy churros, special magnets, but the one thing I feel like I am missing out on at Disneyland is the POTC scent. I can’t smell it and don’t get what others are talking about.

Comment

Have bought a few of them. Like many said, none of them smelled anything like what they are saying it is. All they are is candles with “Disney wrap” trying to make you think you’re getting something special. End of the day just candles. Smell nice! But they totally take advantage of the fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post

I don’t get FOMO with the festivals, fancy churros, special magnets, but the one thing I feel like I am missing out on at Disneyland is the POTC scent. I can’t smell it and don’t get what others are talking about.
                      Pirate Water,smell / scent
                      I not really a FOMO person myself.......
                      But ,I think it a smell of running water in a building/indoor, with A/C on ........a musky smell !
                      That OK ,you not missing a lot ,if you can not smell it
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

Pirate Water,smell / scent
                        I not really a FOMO person myself.......
                        But ,I think it a smell of running water in a building/indoor, with A/C on ........a musky smell !
                        That OK ,you not missing a lot ,if you can not smell it
                        I would agree with this.

It’s not that the smell of Pirate Water is necessarily a pleasant scent, it’s more the uniqueness of it for me. It hits me every time I cross the threshold into the building so over time, it’s made a memory association for the experience with the scent in my head which is the pleasant experience.

That specific scent has only crossed my path away from the ride a couple times at most, which has helped keep its association with Pirates intact.

It’s by no means required to enjoy the ride. Lol
                        Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                        Walt Disney World
                        Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                        1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                        2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

I would agree with this.

It’s not that the smell of Pirate Water is necessarily a pleasant scent, it’s more the uniqueness of it for me. It hits me every time I cross the threshold into the building so over time, it’s made a memory association for the experience with the scent in my head which is the pleasant experience.

That specific scent has only crossed my path away from the ride a couple times at most, which has helped keep its association with Pirates intact.

It’s by no means required to enjoy the ride. Lol
                          Pirate Water does not bug me.......
                          But Pirates of the Caribbean, does have it own smell because of the water......IMO
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by NGW View Post
                            TBH, I have ordered from many companies in search of a genuine scent that referenced Disney attractions. A lot of them miss the mark. Especially when it comes to POTC, TOT an HM. Those IMO are very difficult to recreate. And TRUST me, I've spent a pretty penny searching far and wide for scents from those rides.

I try to leave positive reviews (don't want to sound like I'm bashing the company) just to give potential buyers a heads up not to get their hopes up on the scent. Like you mentioned, the pineapple whip and stuff like churros smells close to the actual thing, those are not difficult to create. Many companies make scents like those that "smell like Disney". But, you put the name Disney on any scented candle, wax oil etc. etc. and your mind will automatically try to assume its from there.

Comment

I would think someone could recreate the vanilla like confectionary scent coming from the sweet store on MS. From what I understand this is pumped out by Disney. However, I have only ever seen the bakery as a scent option from that area of the park.

I would also love lived in coffee smell from the original Market House. I just don’t get that in the new Starbucks or any coffee place for that matter. The only similar place I recall that scent was an old Gloria Jeans that is long gone in a dead mall.

Comment

I have tried several of the candles and oils. And the scents can vary between the atomizer oils, and the candles and wax melts. People's physiology and interpretation of smells can vary widely. Some people feel "wow, that's amazing! I feel like I'm right there!" while I feel: "OK, umm... what is this smell again?"

The "food" scents are easier to replicate, of course. But the attractions can be difficult, because what exactly IS IT your are smelling and sensing?

Well, for the water rides (Pirates, Splash, Small World, etc) it's the chemical bromine (instead of chlorine) to sanitize the water. But you can't stick that in a candle, so there are other "hints" of salt, must, airy breeze, etc. in the oil/candle/melt that try to take its place. While it REMINDS ME VAGUELY of a watery type environment, simply does NOT tell my brain that I'm on Pirates of the Caribbean.

The WDW hotel scents are all the same candle. It is a very light and almost sweet, floral, clean smell in the candle that (again), does NOT scream to my nose that I have just stepped into a WDW hotel lobby. I enjoy it very much, but the BEST I can come up with is that it reminds me of coming form the Contemporary Resort outdoor pool and walking into the BACK lobby entrance with the large glass sliding doors. The interface/connection there is where I get a hint of the hotel aroma from the candle.

The best/closest I have encountered is "Rome Burns" candle, from the Spaceship Earth attraction at Epcot. The scene where your time travel vehicle slowly moves past the burning pillars of a Roman temple; that fireplace/firepit smoke smell... they NAILED the scent/imagery with the candle.

Comment

On a related note, Spireside candles raised their prices today about 37%....

Comment

If you want that PotC smell, get some Bromine.
                                    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                                    so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                                    WDW Trips: '81
                                    EPCOT Trips: '93
                                    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X