Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
    It’s all very sad . Praying for a dues ex machina. We can all pull together and slow the spread, but there’s no stopping it until a vaccine arrives. We COULD stop it with herd immunity, but that would require the majority of us to get infected. I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t seem like a wonderful proposition. Although if we agreed to infect ourselves, Disneyland would be ordered to reopen! 😂

If a vaccine never arrives or takes decades - aside from the massive loss in human life (according to John Hopkins around half a million in this country alone) - the affect this will have on Disneyland is unthinkable. Truly, truly devastating potential, here.
    We could squash the pandemic if everyone took the necessary precautions it would take to do so. But there's a substantial segment of the population that acts likes toddlers and refuses to do what it they're told. We can either stay closed until the pandemic dies out or we can crush it with universally followed precautions. There is no middle ground that isn't catastrophic. America's response to this pandemic will be studied for generations for its abject failure.

Comment

Hysteria and paranoia triumph over fact and reason. The Orwellian nightmare continues.

Comment

Hello!! 7,000 cases in one day! Imagine opening California theme parks ... and watch 7,000 in one day seem like nothing!

It will be Autumn at best when it’s safe enough to go to theme parks! And if things don’t get under control .... I would just write off this whole year without theme parks.
        MY SIGNATURE:
        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Bummer
          --
          http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Circle Tour View Post

We could squash the pandemic if everyone took the necessary precautions it would take to do so. But there's a substantial segment of the population that acts likes toddlers and refuses to do what it they're told. We can either stay closed until the pandemic dies out or we can crush it with universally followed precautions. There is no middle ground that isn't catastrophic. America's response to this pandemic will be studied for generations for its abject failure.
            I agree 1000%. It's all about a combination of personal responsibility and care and concern for your fellow citizens. Neither of which seems to be very much in evidence these days. Instead we have "I'm alright, Jack!". I'm classed as 'vulnerable' and I haven't changed a darn thing about what I'm doing to protect myself (and others) since the first day of shutdown regardless of what 'stage' we're in. Why? Because there are too many out there not giving a rat's patootie about anything other than doing what they want to do.

DLR has made the correct decision, or I guess the State of California has on behalf of the citizenry.

My son and DiL are in the Fla Keys, I guess it's wide open down there with not a whole lot of people wearing masks or even taking the simplest of precautions.
            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

Would you agree that New Zealand handled the virus as well as any country could?

If so, please see this - https://www.worldometers.info/corona...y/new-zealand/

The mortality rate among known, completed cases is 1.46 percent. Is that low? I'm not asking to argue, I'm only asking to find out what you consider to be "low".

Consider South Korea - https://www.worldometers.info/corona...y/south-korea/

They are often considered an example of a country that did practically everything right.

Their mortality rate among all known, completed cases is 2.5 percent. Is that low?
              I don't know anything about New Zealand's response to the virus so I cannot say. The most recent article I've read about the death rate suggests .5 to 1%. I do believe it is lower than that, due to a lack of effective testing. I also believe mortality is greatly dependent on age, comorbidities and ethnicity, just like our seasonal influenza. Here is a good article.

How deadly is the coronavirus? Scientists are close to an answer
              https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01738-2

I also think the death rate of all other conditions, that haven't recieved treatment due to covid19, is much, much higher than covid19 highest estimates. But the media and others have placed a far greater importance on covid19 than far more deadly conditions like heart attack, strokes, cancer, domestic violence, drug abuse and depression. All of which have a much greater mortality rate than covid19 by anyone's estimate. But we don't hear any estimates or modeling studies of the number of those deaths in the media or academia and those people's lives are just as important and the death toll is very likely far higher.
              Last edited by tarheelalum; 06-25-2020, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

I agree 1000%. It's all about a combination of personal responsibility and care and concern for your fellow citizens. Neither of which seems to be very much in evidence these days. Instead we have "I'm alright, Jack!". I'm classed as 'vulnerable' and I haven't changed a darn thing about what I'm doing to protect myself (and others) since the first day of shutdown regardless of what 'stage' we're in. Why? Because there are too many out there not giving a rat's patootie about anything other than doing what they want to do.

DLR has made the correct decision, or I guess the State of California has on behalf of the citizenry.

My son and DiL are in the Fla Keys, I guess it's wide open down there with not a whole lot of people wearing masks or even taking the simplest of precautions.
                Yeah, until people in Orange County and L.A. start to really buckle down again and social distance and wear face masks all the time, we are going to continue to see a spike in infections and I don't see how Disneyland can reopen in that kind of environment.

Another issue is that come the Fall, we may see another wave of COVID-19 come then. Feels like 2020 may not be a good year for Disneyland to reopen, but who knows? Maybe infections go down and they can try to reopen later in the year. But people need to be disciplined for that to happen and not sure people want to do that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

I don’t know yet. The language is very California specific, and it sounds more like they don’t have enough time to make it happen rather than an actual desire to stay closed.

For now, my money is on WDW keeping to the schedule.
                  Yea because its in FL...and apparently taking the advise from Medical Professionals doesnt matter

Comment

I'm happy for the cast members. I know they had a big push to go back later due to California's rising numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post

I don't know anything about New Zealand's response to the virus so I cannot say. The most recent article I've read about the death rate suggests .5 to 1%. I do believe it is lower than that, due to a lack of effective testing. I also believe mortality is greatly dependent on age, comorbidities and ethnicity, just like our seasonal influenza. Here is a good article.

How deadly is the coronavirus? Scientists are close to an answer
                      https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01738-2

I also think the death rate of all other conditions, that haven't recieved treatment due to covid19, is much, much higher than covid19 highest estimates. But the media and others have placed a far greater importance on covid19 than far more deadly conditions like heart attack, strokes, cancer, domestic violence, drug abuse and depression. All of which have a much greater mortality rate than covid19 by anyone's estimate. But we don't hear any estimates or modeling studies of the number of those deaths in the media or academia and those people's lives are just as important and the death toll is very likely far higher.

I just don't get the obsession with the mortality numbers. Isn't it enough that it could have a lifelong effect on quality of life?
                      L + L = R

Comment

Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post

Yea because its in FL...and apparently taking the advise from Medical Professionals doesnt matter
                        But herein lies a real problem. And if I may play devil's advocate for a moment. What are medical professions saying today? And what were they saying yesterday? A month ago? Two weeks from now? It's ever-changing.

One minute you don't have to wear a mask, the next day you do. One day you have to scour every counter top three times a day. The following week you hear that it doesn't live on surfaces for long. If at all.

We have so many mixed messages coming from the medical professionals and it changes day to day.

Is this understandable? Sure. There is a lot we don't know about this particular virus strain. But just admit it. Otherwise, people will become skeptical. And skepticism leads to doubt and/or disbelief in many people.

Interestingly though, there is also the argument out there that notes that since there are so many people out there who have it (or had it), and don't even know they have it (or had it), that can skew the numbers big time too.

We can certainly take the number of people who we know have been diagnosed with it, then figure in the deaths, and come up with a percentage. But if you were to plug in all those people who have it, or have had it, and don't know it.....then plug in the deaths, it will drop that mortality percentage down even more.

And add to that......the lack of reliability in the tests. No one seems to know their elbow from their knee.

That being said, am I glad Disneyland is remaining closed? Yes. Because even though we don't know the actual numbers, we do see spikes when people gather together, such as with all these protests in recent weeks. And seeing as we do live in a country that, while a great country indeed, is full of entitled people, that doesn't help matters. There are a lot of Americans here in the USA who are just not that responsible. Give them an inch, they'll take the ruler.

And this is why this virus isn't going to be contained as quickly as it was in many countries. IMO, this virus is not political. It is about a mental state of mind and how you take responsibility for caring for yourselves and others. And irresponsible people who thumb their noses at masks, or thumb their noses at authority in general (spring break in Florida, e.g.) are a growing problem we see in this country, and it is not defined by politics. Because there are plenty of people on all sides of the spectrum who don't always choose the most responsible paths. It is a national mentality that has settled into this country. As a teacher, I've seen it accelerating with each passing year. The last decade has been especially bad.

Disneyland will have to continue to suffer for a while. Sadly. For quite a while, I fear.

All my opinion of course.

Comment

Originally posted by skoolpsyk View Post

I just don't get the obsession with the mortality numbers. Isn't it enough that it could have a lifelong effect on quality of life?
                          You could be in a horrible car crash this week which would effect your quality of life for the remainder of your days but you still have to live your life. Try to focus on things you can control like your physical fitness, diet, supplements and sleep. Those things have a tremendous effect on how your immune system responds to the virus.

I have not seen any study which suggest the majority of people who get this virus have lifelong disabilities as a result of it. On the contrary its in the minority of cases. Some people who get this do not even know they have it. This virus, although serious, is not the end of the world. Its just another thing we have to deal with and focusing on how we can best prepare ourselves for it is a more effective approach than worrying about what it can do to us.

Comment

People already know the importance of taking care of their minds and bodies. The things that we should be focusing our efforts on now are public policy and social measures to fight the spread of a dangerous disease. Quibbling over the fatality rate makes no sense when it's the other half of the equation, the infection rate, that makes this such a danger. It's the effect on our society of having overflowing hospitals that makes it so dangerous. It's the effect on the economy of having large numbers of people seriously ill that makes it so dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Rammikin View Post
                              People already know the importance of taking care of their minds and bodies. The things that we should be focusing our efforts on now are public policy and social measures to fight the spread of a dangerous disease. Quibbling over the fatality rate makes no sense when it's the other half of the equation, the infection rate, that makes this such a danger. It's the effect on our society of having overflowing hospitals that makes it so dangerous. It's the effect on the economy of having large numbers of people seriously ill that makes it so dangerous.
                              In our free society you cannot control anyone's behavior any more than the state can to any degree that would successfully reduce the infection rate. Just look at all the protests in our country. Our country too large and mistrustful of government for any such measures to work and complete compliance would be required for any of it to work. The only thing people can do is take personal responsibility for their behavior and health.

And knowing what to do and actually putting it into practice are completely different things. If people truly took responsibility for their health in this country obesity, heart disease and type 2 diabetes would be virtually wiped out instead of killing a significant amount of our population annually.

But most importantly, if everyone took a step back and took inventory of all they have in life, they would spend less time worrying about this virus and more time feeling gratitude. And gratitude can change a person's life in countless ways.

Comment

The courts in Orange County, Floriduh, are going back to Phase 1. Yes, it's Floriduh, but it's relevant to this thread in that this could be the beginning of a delay in FL theme park openings.

Comment

Wait and see how fast the Unions' position flips on a dime if the $600 bonus weekly unemployment benefit does not get extended past July 30th...

Comment

Since there is such a rejection of Walt Disney from current operators, maybe they should just stay closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Circle Tour View Post

Your so right. I used to live in California, but now live in British Columbia, and people here took it seriously early on, as did the provincial government and it worked we got hospitalizations down to under 20 people now, only 7 in ICU, averaging around 10 new cases a day now, and we are now entering phase 3 of reopening which is the last phase and we saw no big spike in the first 1 1/2 months of phase 2 reopening, people wear masks, and for the most part keep distance from one another.

The US is just making things worse and making it take longer to recover by doing so little and being so stubborn.

It never had to get this bad in the US.

Comment

Considering how insane people are these days, and the knee-jerk reactions we are witnessing, I honestly can say I could careless if it ever opened again. Disneyland had a good run. Let's just leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmith11618 View Post

Your so right. I used to live in California, but now live in British Columbia, and people here took it seriously early on, as did the provincial government and it worked we got hospitalizations down to under 20 people now, only 7 in ICU, averaging around 10 new cases a day now, and we are now entering phase 3 of reopening which is the last phase and we saw no big spike in the first 1 1/2 months of phase 2 reopening, people wear masks, and for the most part keep distance from one another.

The US is just making things worse and making it take longer to recover by doing so little and being so stubborn.

It never had to get this bad in the US.
                                          And yet when you divide the deaths in Canada, overall, by the population (which is far smaller than the USA), the mortality % is pretty darned close.

BC might be doing okay, but so was Orange Country for a very long time. In fact, CA was doing better than a lot of places for quite a while. L.A. had the biggest chunk. Remove their numbers and CA looked great.

Now should the CA governor have started moving through the phases as quickly as he did, while NY is only now going into phase 2? Maybe not.

But sadly we're also seeing a non-surprising spike with all the protest data coming in. Strange though how they were quick to blame the Memorial Day revelers for that previous spike. But somehow, the panics that are now ensuing over this spike have nary a word about the protesters or their impact. Puzzling.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X