Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oceanbreeze77 View Post

I think this gives them an easy out on both coasts.
    I'm fairly confident that they want to reopen their cash cow resorts ASAP

Comment

Some cast members have been protesting:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN23Y0WN

Comment

Originally posted by CASurfer65 View Post
        But sadly we're also seeing a non-surprising spike with all the protest data coming in. Strange though how they were quick to blame the Memorial Day revelers for that previous spike. But somehow, the panics that are now ensuing over this spike have nary a word about the protesters or their impact. Puzzling.
        There has been very little correlation between the protests and virus outbreaks. Reasons that have been cited include wearing of masks by protestors and the outdoor nature of the activity.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/...sible-reasons/

Comment

Originally posted by Rammikin View Post

There has been very little correlation between the protests and virus outbreaks. Reasons that have been cited include wearing of masks by protestors and the outdoor nature of the activity.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/...sible-reasons/
          Hmmm,,,an outdoor protest with thousands of empathetic people wearing masks or an indoor bar where you're shoulder-to-shoulder with people not wearing masks and drinking as if COVID was eradicated. Yeah, the protests are more dangerous

It's as if we forgot all about the anti-mask protests a month ago and demands for a swift re-opening. Yet there hasn't been protests around me for nearly a month and the bars & restaraunts are still packed to the brim with maskless folks. Social distancing, be damned.
          Last edited by jacob555; 06-28-2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckboyone View Post
            I see the hysteria and fear-mongering is still alive and well on this site. The mortality rate is nowhere near 11%. The CDC's best guess of the IFR, which is that actual number based on the number of being who are likely infected, is 0.26%. And when you take into account that more than half of those are people older than the current age of life expectancy, than the actual danger to those in the workforce and student population plummets.

We've gone about this thing the wrong way. We've obliterated our economy unnecessarily. We should have been targeting the more vulnerable from the beginning. Facemasks and social distancing should have been the only thing we prescribed for everyone else. The lockdown is going to cause more deaths than the virus.

iceberg.jpg
            I thought I was at a disney site and was reading about a post on Disneyland delaying their opening. Instead I'm subjected to your opinion on Covid. Fun Times!!! /sarcasm
            Ryborg

Comment

Orange County had a record 779 cases today. DL made the right choice.

Comment

Originally posted by ryborg View Post

I thought I was at a disney site and was reading about a post on Disneyland delaying their opening. Instead I'm subjected to your opinion on Covid. Fun Times!!! /sarcasm
                Did you miss the whole thread? There are plenty of opinions about it. I'm only responding to earlier ones.

Comment

We've obliterated our economy unnecessarily. We should have been targeting the more vulnerable from the beginning. Facemasks and social distancing should have been the only thing we prescribed for everyone else. The lockdown is going to cause more deaths than the virus.
                  Ugh, this take again

Dare I say, a self-righteous take
                  Last edited by jacob555; 07-01-2020, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob555 View Post

Ugh, this take again

Dare I say, a self-righteous take
                    Explain how it is self-righteous. Is it self-righteous that I'm giving information about the actual data, and not spreading fear with false mortality rates? Or self-righteous that I'm worried that more people will die because of the overreaction?

Comment

If I were Disneyland, I would take the rest of the year off and do things that couldn't be done if the park was opened. Now would be a good time to remove the Rocket Rod tracks because there's no way it's reusable now. It's so out of code now.

Comment

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                        If I were Disneyland, I would take the rest of the year off and do things that couldn't be done if the park was opened. Now would be a good time to remove the Rocket Rod tracks because there's no way it's reusable now. It's so out of code now.
                        also its just going to be pointless to open up this year. With this huge spike the next time it'll be "ready" is right at the start of flu season. With the expected combination of influx from covid AND the flu, its best to just wait, do the work that needs to be done, and allow the numbers to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbreeze77 View Post

also its just going to be pointless to open up this year. With this huge spike the next time it'll be "ready" is right at the start of flu season. With the expected combination of influx from covid AND the flu, its best to just wait, do the work that needs to be done, and allow the numbers to improve.
                          It would be best if Disneyland and California Adventure both remained shut down until a vaccine is discovered and developed. Just like the protests and riots going on, theme parks are a great place for the Coronavirus to spread itself. It's not going away anytime soon.

Comment

Is it self-righteous that I'm giving information about the actual data, and not spreading fear with false mortality rates? Or self-righteous that I'm worried that more people will die because of the overreaction?
                            When you put it in both ways, it absolutely is

Comment

I'm not sure the rise in cases can be blamed on the mass protests at all. Many cities where some of the largest protests happened are not seeing a corresponding rise in cases. The places with the greatest increases in infections are mostly in areas that relaxed restrictions the earliest or are comprised of populations who never took the restrictions seriously in the first place.

Downtown Disney should delay its opening until the parks open. DTD businesses were already going to make little to no money by opening up without the parks. With today's announced restrictions it will be impossible for any of those businesses to be successful for weeks or even months before the parks come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Circle Tour View Post

Downtown Disney should delay its opening until the parks open. DTD businesses were already going to make little to no money by opening up without the parks. With today's announced restrictions it will be impossible for any of those businesses to be successful for weeks or even months before the parks come back.
                                And with newsoms new guidelines, it hardly makes sense for DTD to open

Comment

I'm not sure the rise in cases can be blamed on the mass protests at all. Many cities where some of the largest protests happened are not seeing a corresponding rise in cases.
                                  Ah hem...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cit...k-lives-matter
                                  “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                                  so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                                  WDW Trips: '81
                                  EPCOT Trips: '93
                                  Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

I'm not sure the rise in cases can be blamed on the mass protests at all. Many cities where some of the largest protests happened are not seeing a corresponding rise in cases. The places with the greatest increases in infections are mostly in areas that relaxed restrictions the earliest or are comprised of populations who never took the restrictions seriously in the first place.
                                    That's correct. Unfortunately, some news outlets continue to push the White House's false claim that mass protests are responsible for a rise in cases. Here are the facts:

Forbes: Researchers Say Protests Didn't Increase Covid-19 Spread—But Republicans Are Still Blaming Them

Scientific American: How to Evaluate Coronavirus Risks from Black Lives Matter Protests

NPR: Parties — Not Protests — Are Causing Spikes In Coronavirus

Wall Street Journal: Early Data Show No Uptick in Covid-19 Transmission From Protests

The Economist: Black Lives Matter protests did not cause an uptick in covid-19 cases

CNN: Black Lives Matter protests have not led to a spike in coronavirus cases, research says

New York Magazine: There’s No Evidence That Protests Have Caused a Coronavirus Surge

MedicalXpress: Study shows no correlation between protests and general population COVID-19 case increase

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

One thing like some have hinted on that needs to be realized so it is not a shock when it occurs, this 1st wave secondary mega spike is happening. It's too late to avoid it, we can only try to flatten it back down and even if we all banded together and those that caused it "pulled their heads out of their own self interest" we would still need 2-3 months to get back to where we were prior to the second spike which allowed us to attempt late phase 2 openings. This is now very problematic as we have always been expecting a 2nd wave to coincide with cold/flu season in the Fall starting in October. This means that if all goes correctly we could finally get things under control in CA just in time to see the 2nd wave occur meaning realistically the only real proven course of action is to go into phase 1 again, get back to low levels of infected and then stay in early phase 2 as we go into the the second wave of Covid and then possible return back to phase 1 through the holiday cold/flu season.

I know a certain subset has been fed false info leading them to believe the lack of economy is more fatal then the Covid virus but this is a not only false but puts a very morbid price on human life and rationalizes a massive death toll to lower the financial burden for the very few. I feel it needs to be repeated... no economy will come back regardless of what is done if mass casualties and hospital overruns are occurring.

In short, I for one feel my original assumption back in March/April still stands... Disney will likely not open until 2021. ( I hope I am wrong but it's looking more likely I am not. )
                                      Last edited by Starcade; 07-07-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Mass demonstrations having not resulted in any rise in cases would be an incredible development. It would indicate quarantine is unnecessary against outdoor group activities, and social distancing unnecessary in that environment.

If this is indeed the case, it’d be a reasonably strong argument for the reopening of DTD and the parks, at least partially, assuming customers abide the mask rules, just as demonstrators did.
                                        Last edited by J. Thaddeus Toad; 07-06-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
                                          Mass demonstrations having not resulted in any rise in cases would be an incredible development. It would indicate quarantine is unnecessary against outdoor group activities, and social distancing unnecessary in that environment.

If this is indeed the case, it’d be a reasonably strong argument for the reopening of DTD and the parks, at least partially, assuming customers abide the mask rules, just as demonstrators did.
                                          The research indeed indicates that the overwhelming number of participants in protest demonstrations have worn masks. Unfortunately, reports from other outdoor venues, including currently open amusement and water parks, indicate that mask wearing is ignored by many customers.

For theme parks, there is the additional problem of virus transmission via long-presence aerosols in indoor areas like shops and rides.

It's an open question whether Disney will be able to enforce its mask wearing rules when WDW opens July 11. Unfortunately, Florida is a state that is having an enormous spike in COVID cases -- and has a government and population that is notorious for refusing to follow the advice of public health experts on mask wearing.
                                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X