Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances that they'll widen the Splash Mountain track to accommodate two seater logs?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances that they'll widen the Splash Mountain track to accommodate two seater logs?

On the right side of the track there's a lot of flat surface throughout the ride, I'm guessing for maintenance access and evacuation, but if a few inches of that could be sacrificed they could theoretically widen it to the right without destroying too much of the surrounding rock work.

I don't think it will happen as it's probably too costly for a system that works fine, but I do kind of wish that they would.

What are your thoughts?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 18.02.21.png Views:	0 Size:	687.9 KB ID:	8621447

I really hope they do, it would really boost the ride's capacity. However, this would probably triple the time it would take to refurbish everything, and cost a fortune. I imagine the new Animatronics and the retheme are going to be what they focus on most, since they'll probably be short on cash due to Covid. Fans would probably be more upset if the track was widened but the retheme was cheap. But then again- IT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!!!!

Comment

This topic has come up time after time on boards like these. It's not going to happen. Even though it looks like they could widen the flume in some places, there's plenty of other places where it wouldn't be possible, such as the curve the logs make right after the final drop. From what I understand, they would pretty much have to tear down and re-build the whole ride, which, again, will not happen. Remember, they would have to widen the flume for the entire ride.
      The changes will strictly involve show elements. The ride system itself will not change.

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
        This topic has come up time after time on boards like these. It's not going to happen. Even though it looks like they could widen the flume in some places, there's plenty of other places where it wouldn't be possible, such as the curve the logs make right after the final drop. From what I understand, they would pretty much have to tear down and re-build the whole ride, which, again, will not happen. Remember, they would have to widen the flume for the entire ride.
        The changes will strictly involve show elements. The ride system itself will not change.
        ^This

In addition, they would have to rip out and replace all the lifts hills and drops, which they already spent capital on to fix the Final lift hill/Big Drop. They also have to keep a path alongside the flume for matinence and to evacuate guests during breakdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by DLcub View Post
          On the right side of the track there's a lot of flat surface throughout the ride, I'm guessing for maintenance access and evacuation, but if a few inches of that could be sacrificed they could theoretically widen it to the right without destroying too much of the surrounding rock work.

I don't think it will happen as it's probably too costly for a system that works fine, but I do kind of wish that they would.

What are your thoughts?

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 18.02.21.png Views:	0 Size:	687.9 KB ID:	8621447
          OSHA would have a field day, and thus just further delay whatever change/modifications that they want to make

Comment

Originally posted by DLcub View Post

What are your thoughts?

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 18.02.21.png Views:	0 Size:	687.9 KB ID:	8621447
            The fact that an extensive refurb means OSHA compliance rules that did not exist when the attraction was originally built would need to be addressed means it's likely the structural elements of the ride will be left alone as best they can. It could honestly come down to timing, Disney isn't exactly flush with cash right now, and if there is pressure to close Splash and refurb sooner than later I don't think it will happen. The whole walkway in the picture is also a path for emergency exits, cutting it down would mean cutting out more of the attraction wall to include a path that would be required.

Comment

No chance.
              "We wants the redhead!"

Comment

I agree, not going to happen. I think Disney's going to 'cost save' on every project for a long, long time to make up for 'lost revenue' due to Covid. I can't see them undertaking any kind of major structural changes.
                "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Slim to none and slim just walked out the door.

Comment

They might, they have to redo most of the ride. They have enough time for it. People will still reguardless if the ride closed for a long time. It's rare people go on Splash Mountain after 6pm, so it wont be missed. Only on hot summer days. Which we are nothing getting this year. I hope they do personally.

Comment

Talk of this has often come up every time Splash gets refurbed. The last big one they had I believe they actually replaced the flume itself. Micechat even showed pictures where they had basically broken away the sculpting of the rockwork to redo or refinish the flume (picture below).

Unfortunately it looks like every spare inch of the sides along the flume is used for whenever evacuations need to occur. This video shows one in process and you actually get a look at the innards of the ride. From the looks of things, quarters are so tight that I think the only way we get the double-wide flume is if a catastrophic earthquake knocks down the ride and Disney rebuilds it with their insurance money.

It really would be nice to have double the capacity. It reminds me of WDW's Space Mountain, which has just the single row of roller coaster seats like the Matterhorn, while ours gets side-by-side seating for 6 rows.

The flume-in-progress:

Evacuated off of Splash Mountain at Disneyland

Comment

I don't see them doing a demo of the whole thing $$$$ and starting over. I think that is what it would take to widen the entire track and maintain OSHA standards for emergency exists and track maintenance for staff walk ways.

Comment

There is no chance they are going to widen the waterway for the re-theme.
                          --
                          http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

9.8%

Comment

Honestly, if they can just solve the problem of getting drenched at the base of the big drop, the single row logs would be fine. In the cooler months, the ride is nearly walk on because no one wants soggy pants when it’s not 90 out.
                              Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                              Walt Disney World
                              Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                              1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                              2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Not only will it not happen due to budget, space availability and OSHA issues but people are forgetting a double wide log will mean double the weight of what they are dealing with now. To redesign the water flume width and depth for the new displacement as well as the need for an entire new fleet of logs puts this idea in the not gonna happen category.

Comment

Yeah, I'm on the side of not practical it'd be a totally demolition/rebuild to get the flume bigger and I just don't see that $$$ being spent.

I'd be more curious to see them demolish large portions of the queue and better integrate fastpass if at all possible and I even mostly doubt that. Unless you'll all surprise me with a change that's already happened... I'll admit I haven't been back to the parks since 2012. I'd planned to be visiting in July waaaaaay back before this year started to become what it's been.
                                  "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

0%. For all the reasons people have already noted. The ride was not designed for it and they need that extra space for evacs. And the amount of money it would cost to reconfigure the canal would probably be $25-50 million alone.

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
                                    Honestly, if they can just solve the problem of getting drenched at the base of the big drop, the single row logs would be fine. In the cooler months, the ride is nearly walk on because no one wants soggy pants when it’s not 90 out.
                                    I hardly ever get that wet on the final drop. It's the one in the dark that drenches me all the time! Almost a guarantee if you are in the first 3 or 4 rows. But I hope they don't lessen the water, that is what makes the attraction so fun.

I think they actually raise and lower the water levels to make the amount of splashes and the sizes. I notice the water level is usually really low in cold winter months and very high on extreme heat days. Also, usually in winter when there is nobody going on it you usually get a log to yourself in which case you are seated in the back or middle and the log is not heavy and does not make giant waves or splashes so you barely get a misting usually.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post
                                      I hardly ever get that wet on the final drop. It's the one in the dark that drenches me all the time! Almost a guarantee if you are in the first 3 or 4 rows. But I hope they don't lessen the water, that is what makes the attraction so fun.

I think they actually raise and lower the water levels to make the amount of splashes and the sizes. I notice the water level is usually really low in cold winter months and very high on extreme heat days. Also, usually in winter when there is nobody going on it you usually get a log to yourself in which case you are seated in the back or middle and the log is not heavy and does not make giant waves or splashes so you barely get a misting usually.
                                      For the last few years, I’ve constantly had the effect where after making the big plunge, the water creates a wave that returns back to the log and submerges the first 3 spots of it at least. I mean, it’s fun, but for the next hour I’m trying to decide if I need to return to the hotel and change my soggy pants or buy a pair of sweats to wear instead. I could use to loose a few pounds, but I’m not grossly overweight so it shouldn’t be just a big guy in the front situation. I usually go in the late fall or winter months so it’s not warm enough outside to air dry.

Honestly, that aspect drives how often I’ve ridden Splash Mountain in the last 15 years more than any other thing. In the summer it’s great, but any other time, I consider or actually skip it purely on the basis of how wet I can live with being. I think this is part of why I’m not heartbroken over changing the theme. I just don’t ride it to the same frequency as POTC, HM or even FL dark rides. It’s been a once per trip max attraction for a long time.

If they made it so I got only a little more wet than on POTC’s drop, it would be worth it to ride more often, but as it currently is, if they don’t fix the drenching, it doesn’t matter what theme it has, I’ll still only ride it a minimum amount.
                                      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                                      Walt Disney World
                                      Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                                      1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                                      2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post
                                        0%. For all the reasons people have already noted. The ride was not designed for it and they need that extra space for evacs. And the amount of money it would cost to reconfigure the canal would probably be $25-50 million alone.

I agree it's not the big drop that drenches you, it's the sections in the dark and other interior spots where the log almost submerges that causes wash over and if your in rows 1-3 you could literally have a bucket of water poured into your lap from either side. They need to add a lip on theology which could easily be done if they where willing to spend the money. This lip or wicker bill of sorts would act as a barrier not blocking the spaces but the over wash that is the what drenches people.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X