Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy anniversary AMERICA SINGS!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Review] Happy anniversary AMERICA SINGS!

    46 years ago today AMERICA SINGS debuted ......... so it's time to clap our hands .... as we make 5 turns on this virtual carousel theater!

    Click image for larger version  Name:	000a.jpg Views:	3 Size:	115.9 KB ID:	8621700


    Here we are - It's June 29, 1974 ....... and it's time to celebrate the opening of Disneyland's most patriotic attraction..............

    Click image for larger version  Name:	0001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	731.6 KB ID:	8621709



    Click image for larger version  Name:	001.jpg Views:	3 Size:	457.2 KB ID:	8621703

    Click image for larger version  Name:	americasings1.jpg Views:	3 Size:	137.7 KB ID:	8621704

    Come on in .......... get your "E" ticket ready, please

    Click image for larger version  Name:	come in.jpg Views:	3 Size:	38.7 KB ID:	8621705Click image for larger version

Name:	e ticket.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	8621714

    Come fill up our theater, we got 240 seats waiting for you!

    Click image for larger version  Name:	america sings -empty theater.jpg Views:	3 Size:	700.6 KB ID:	8621706


    Welcome to America Sings ladies and gentlemen. Come take your seat. Just a reminder ... please no drink, food, or flash pictures ... and remain seated while the theater is in motion. Thank you and enjoy the show!

    Click image for larger version  Name:	welcome.jpg Views:	3 Size:	32.5 KB ID:	8621707


    .............. more to come later :-)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 06-29-2020, 08:59 AM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

  • #2
    AWESOME! Happy Birthday, America sings!

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, it belonged in Tomorrowland. It was an elaborate show -- performed by robots!

      Comment


      • #4
        I have only seen America Sings through home video and Youtube. I like how most of the animals were saved and moved to Splash Mountain. I hope most are kept for the Princess and the Frog ride. I really like the geese, gators, the porcupine, the racoon,frogs, the wolves with kittens and the vultures.
        Last edited by mondo; 06-30-2020, 11:46 PM.
        *

        Comment


        • #5
          I have to say, even though Carousel of Progress was removed and America Sings took its place, as disappointed I was, AS was a well done Attraction. In fact I almost miss CoP and AS equally, but CoP edges AS just a bit.
          Last edited by stovk; 06-29-2020, 02:29 PM.
          “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
          so many years of our own lives.”


          DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
          WDW Trips: '81
          EPCOT Trips: '93
          Tokyo DL Trips: '86

          Comment


          • #6
            America Sings is not extinct; as long as we have videos to remember it by.

            Comment


            • #7
              "Pop goes the weasel (giddy chuckle)!"

              Comment


              • #8
                I can't get enough of Sam Eagle and Ollie the Owl singing "Yankee Doodle Dandee..."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Happy Birthday!!! This was my favorite attraction as a little kid! I was devastated when my family went on our annual summer DL trip in '88 and found out it was closed and was not coming back. I remember a CM told us they were building a new mountain over by the Haunted Mansion and re-using all the animals for that. I was quite the skeptical 9-yr-old that I could ever replace my dear America Sings, but I was curious. Fast forward over a year later and Splash Mtn opened and THAT became my new favorite! FF to today and now Splash is being taken away lol I guess it's just not in the cards for my favorites to survive at DL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don’t see why not. The America Sings AAs have absolutely no connection to Song of the South. So I see them redressing and reprogramming them. That’s of course Disney goes through with the change. The company notorious for changing their minds on MANY things.
                    MY SIGNATURE:
                    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                      I don’t see why not. The America Sings AAs have absolutely no connection to Song of the South. So I see them redressing and reprogramming them. That’s of course Disney goes through with the change. The company notorious for changing their minds on MANY things.
                      Well, not much of Splash Mountain has any connection to Song of the South either, other then using a few characters. But there's more characters from America Sings. I always thought of it as an extension of Country Bears Jamboree/America Sings, but im white so.....im wrong.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It used to be that no matter what time of day we watched America Sings (usually during the hot afternoon hours), for the hour-long car ride home around midnight, this soundtrack was always the ear worm I would get. Even as I type this I can hear it as clearly as if I was actually listening to a recording of it.

                        definitely one of Disney’s best ever.
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                        No matter where you go, there you are.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This was one of my favorites as a kid too. I had the record and to this day I could sing and recite the entire thing. Love love loved it!
                          "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                            It used to be that no matter what time of day we watched America Sings (usually during the hot afternoon hours), for the hour-long car ride home around midnight, this soundtrack was always the ear worm I would get. Even as I type this I can hear it as clearly as if I was actually listening to a recording of it.

                            definitely one of Disney’s best ever.
                            As long as you can find the soundtrack to America Sings or any other extinct Disneyland attraction, it will never be "fully" gone.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              America Sings was a "controversial" attraction too. In 1974 when the attraction opened, the dog that sang "Who Shot the Hole in my Sombrero" was replaced because the original accent was deemed "offensive" at the time.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                                America Sings was a "controversial" attraction too. In 1974 when the attraction opened, the dog that sang "Who Shot the Hole in my Sombrero" was replaced because the original accent was deemed "offensive" at the time.
                                If you're trying to draw an equivalence between America Sings and the current Splash Mountain controversy, sorry; it won't work. Historical fact check: The attraction itself was not controversial; only the "Who Shot the Hole in My Sombrero" song was. Shortly after the attraction opened, the voice was changed from the racist stereotype "Frito Bandito" to a western cowboy, and the lyric "Was it Pancho from the rancho? You think he's still mad 'cuz I kiss his wife?" was changed to "I can't figure who pulled the trigger; You don't suppose my ex-wife is in town?" Disney was rightfully criticized at the time as being tone-deaf to what had happened three years earlier, when Frito-Lay had ended the use of the racially insensitive, offensive Frito Bandito character.
                                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

                                - Walt Disney

                                "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

                                "It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                                  America Sings was a "controversial" attraction too. In 1974 when the attraction opened, the dog that sang "Who Shot the Hole in my Sombrero" was replaced because the original accent was deemed "offensive" at the time.
                                  Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                  If you're trying to draw an equivalence between America Sings and the current Splash Mountain controversy, sorry; it won't work. Historical fact check: The attraction itself was not controversial; only the "Who Shot the Hole in My Sombrero" song was. Shortly after the attraction opened, the voice was changed from the racist stereotype "Frito Bandito" to a western cowboy, and the lyric "Was it Pancho from the rancho? You think he's still mad 'cuz I kiss his wife?" was changed to "I can't figure who pulled the trigger; You don't suppose my ex-wife is in town?" Disney was rightfully criticized at the time as being tone-deaf to what had happened three years earlier, when Frito-Lay had ended the use of the racially insensitive, offensive Frito Bandito character.
                                  Ay-ay-ay (Palm on forehead)

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Would love to see another elaborate musical audio animatronic show again like CBJ or AS. Maybe some movie will come along that will lend itself well to it-

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                                      If you're trying to draw an equivalence between America Sings and the current Splash Mountain controversy, sorry; it won't work. Historical fact check: The attraction itself was not controversial; only the "Who Shot the Hole in My Sombrero" song was. Shortly after the attraction opened, the voice was changed from the racist stereotype "Frito Bandito" to a western cowboy, and the lyric "Was it Pancho from the rancho? You think he's still mad 'cuz I kiss his wife?" was changed to "I can't figure who pulled the trigger; You don't suppose my ex-wife is in town?" Disney was rightfully criticized at the time as being tone-deaf to what had happened three years earlier, when Frito-Lay had ended the use of the racially insensitive, offensive Frito Bandito character.
                                      I was using America Sings as another example of political correctness. Nowadays it would be considered as entirely "politically incorrect" because it celebrates the greatness in America.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                                        I was using America Sings as another example of political correctness. Nowadays it would be considered as entirely "politically incorrect" because it celebrates the greatness in America.
                                        That's false on two accounts. First, the revision to the voice and lyrics of "Who Shot That Hole in My Sombrero" was directly connected to, and the belated result of, a previous decade of historical social change outside of Disneyland -- specifically, a rejection of the use of racist Hispanic stereotypes in advertising and elsewhere. Second, your disparaging use of "political correctness" and "political incorrectness," and your reference to "celebrating the greatness in America," are obvious attempts to denigrate social change. (Hint: your politics are showing.)
                                        Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-01-2020, 12:34 PM.
                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

                                        - Walt Disney

                                        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

                                        "It's very symbiotic."
                                        - Bob Chapek

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X