Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Princesses and the Frog log ride: Speculation Central , Expectation Central...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Princesses and the Frog log ride: Speculation Central , Expectation Central...

(Transformation Central, Reformation Central, Transmogrification Central...)

Please Read: I would like for thread to focus on the upcoming ride and NOT whether SM should or should not get rethemed. ( There are other threads). Disney has already confirmed the retheme using Princesses and the Frog.

What are your speculations and expectations for the Princesses and the Frog log ride?
    What are your thoughts on it taking place after their kiss? Will they not be frogs?
    At what section of the ride do you think each song will be at?
    Will the ride be considered part of New Orleans Square or Critter Country?
    Do you want them to keep the America Sings AA’s? Which characters should they keep? Will they be altered? Reskined?
    Do you want Dr. Facilier to return?
    What are your thoughts on the concept art?

Do you want the surrounding area to change? How can they change the surrounding area.

From Micechat.
    The story of the new attraction will pick up after the movie’s final kiss. The all-new adventure takes place as Tiana and Luis are preparing for the Mardi Gras celebration and the obstacles they encounter on their way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Princess-and-the-Frog-Mountain-Cover.jpg Views:	1 Size:	842.1 KB ID:	8621944
    Last edited by mondo; 06-30-2020, 10:40 PM.

My thoughts are that the interiors will not need to change drastically, and that the story will take advantage of the existing set pieces and many of the America Sings AAs. I even think the riverboat at the end will remain with only little changes.

Im even willing to believe that the Br’er Bear AAs will end up being reused for Louis in some way.
    Last edited by Mike_M; 06-30-2020, 02:03 PM.
    Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
    Walt Disney World
    Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
    1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
    2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Definitely want Dr. Facilier.

Multiple chatters have previously discussed that he would be perfect for the dramatic final drop. I actually just watched PATF and seeing his shadow act as his sidekick, it feels like the setup is already there (since Splash already uses a shadow effect for the villain in the finale).

Comment

Rewatched the film last night and generally have to agree it's a perfect fit for the area. Aside from taking place in/around New Orleans, most of the film is "Critter"-centric with a heavy emphasis on water. Seems like a no-brainer to me! Now, to your questions..

What are your speculations and expectations for the Princesses and the Frog log ride?
        I've said this before but I would like the name of the attraction to remain, Splash Mountain. I think it is ambiguous enough to work with any theme inside the mountain at the time and is frankly even further away from Song of the South than the already heavily foot-noted animated scenes with Brer Rabbit, Fox and Bear. I don't think too many people would complain or be offended. "Splash Mountain shares a name with an attraction that once vaguely shared some bits of source material from a film that some people find offensive from the 1940's" feels like a stretch to me.

I am worried about budget. I don't want Disney to cheap out on this one but I know they're hurting for money right now. The rumors I've read so far do not inspire hope.. but I will reserve judgement for when I see it in person.

What are your thoughts on it taking place after their kiss? Will they not be frogs?
        I find this to be an odd thing to say so far in advance. Saying it takes place "after the kiss" means Ray is dead and will be excluded from the attraction. Though, I'm sure the fireflies will be included somehow. Frankly, I'm not thinking too much into this one. Disney has a habit of pretending things haven't happened in their parks.. seriously, Rapunzel doesn't have her hair anymore but kids can still meet her pre-haircut. I would not be surprised to see them as frogs at some point or even Dr. Facilier if we were to venture to "the other side" on our journey.

An instrumental version of "Down in New Orleans" for the surrounding area and early parts of the attraction (passing the drop) replacing the "Sure as ya born" instrumental that fills the area currently. "When we're human" sung by the cast of former America Sings characters, likely after the first drop/runout. The second drop is a little trickier.. it's either got to be "Goin' down the Bayou" which drops us directly into a field of fireflies replacing the bees from before or take a more ominous turn and have us drop into "the other side". I would personally like to see the entire laughing place become a "Friends on the Other Side" sequence with shadow wall projections chasing the logs in the dark. I know some others have mentioned "Dig a Little Deeper" as the final climb but I'd maintain the dark and scary atmosphere all the way up the climb with (of course) "Are ya ready?" sung to Guests as they climb the final lift. A new song or "Dig a Little Deeper" for the finale showboat scene. Small request.. I would like this scene to be changed to night time, if at all possible, to showcase Evangeline and Ray projection mapped to the wall behind the showboat.

I have absolutely NO IDEA how any of the above suggestions work into the narrative Disney released of "on our way to a Mardi Gras" celebration but hey, it's their job to make it work. Not mine!

Bleh.. both? It's the perfect transition and fits both lands perfectly. As I said, it's a critter heavy movie based in the South so Critter Country works and also takes place in New Orleans. I don't think Disney will invest the money to alter the surrounding area of Critter Country, at least not right away. Until that time comes, it will probably be listed as offically in "Critter Country" in order to pad that area's attractions out and not claim it to be simply and only "Winnie the Pooh".

Do you want them to keep the America Sings AA’s? Which characters should they keep? Will they be altered? Reskined?
        I do. Find a way to keep them all. Re-dress them or undress them if you have to. The animals in the film they come into contact with aren't dressed at all, even in Mama Odie's big number. If you can't, preserve them. If you can't go that far.. use their skeletons for fun stuff a la the Star Tours queue. Galaxy's Edge could use some droid kinetic energy at various points. Strip a few ones that are harder to find parts for down and spread them across the land/shops after some small alterations?

Yes. Just because he's dead/on the other side doesn't mean we couldn't pop in to see him there.

The one officially released by Disney looks great. Assuming it can be done justice. I didn't bother looking too much at the "concept art" from the CM who released it on twitter because as far as I could tell, it was just concept art from the film production itself, not for an attraction.

Do you want the surrounding area to change? How can they change the surrounding area?
        Sure, but I don't think it will yet. I think it should be made to match, eventually. Theme it to a bayou, thus becoming a more "wild" extension of New Orleans Square. New attraction replacing Pooh or an updated Country Bear Jamboree. Bayous have an otherworldly feel to them, too and invokes the feeling of Dagobah from Star Wars. Which makes the transition into the wild area outpost in Galaxy's Edge even more smooth.
        Last edited by Blurr; 06-30-2020, 02:37 PM.
        "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Any thoughts on when this might happen?

Comment

Originally posted by duckboyone View Post
            Any thoughts on when this might happen?
            No idea! But assuming the parks are eventually open and firing on enough cylinders to fund the overhaul, I would guess the attraction shuts down sometime 2022 in Disney World. Ours would probably be just before that or during the same time. I make this guess because it is my assumption they would want Splash Mountain operational during WDW's 50th anniversary in Oct. of 2021.
            "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

I'll address the first question, regarding expectations.
              I am expecting a very atmospheric and cool inclusion of Mama Odie and her well-stocked voodoo shack. And a wonderfully starlit sky. And a very lively party at the end. I would like to see both Tiana and Charlotte La Bouff in their ballgowns, as they are both beautiful in them.
              That'll do for me.

Comment

This video convinced me that it would work and made me good with it. This was made before the announcement. I hope the actual ride would follow the song placement for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post

No idea! But assuming the parks are eventually open and firing on enough cylinders to fund the overhaul, I would guess the attraction shuts down sometime 2022 in Disney World. Ours would probably be just before that or during the same time. I make this guess because it is my assumption they would want Splash Mountain operational during WDW's 50th anniversary in Oct. of 2021.
                  That would be great news! We're going next summer, and I'd like to get one more chance to go on it the way it is now.

Comment

Considering how much of a beloved and iconic attraction Splash is, my expectations are extremely high.
                    This is a case where a budget Pixar Pier job is just not going to cut it.
                    Princess and the Frog is the last traditionally animated film put out by Disney, and its art and visual quality is one of its greatest strengths. I want to see that reflected in the ride through beautiful and detailed sets, and a fully immersive environment. I think if they spend the money needed to make this a great attraction on its own and not just a quick budget overlay, it will pay off for them both in attracting guests to the park and boosting merchandise sales.
                    As for the surrounding area, I'll be honest and say that I really dislike the Pooh ride that is there, and I wouldn't be sorry to see that eventually replaced by something else. After Country Bears closed, "Critter Country" just felt to me like Splash Mountain and not much else, so if they can add some more to do and explore in that area I'm okay with some changes in the overall theme.

Comment

Originally posted by ChipmunkCheeks View Post
                      Princess and the Frog is the last traditionally animated film put out by Disney,
                      Almost. The last one was technically the 2011 "Winnie the Pooh". I always forget that one too.

Comment

I'm really hoping Disney doesn't skimp on this. Especially any bayou scenes and then what I expect to be the Mardi Gras final scene.

No frogs. It says 'Tiana's journey through the bayou to invite friends to her Mardi Gras celebration'. So I expect lots and lots of critters, plus Mama Odie & Naveen.

No idea. I definitely need to rewatch the move. Problem is I cry so hard at Ray's death.

If TPTB are smart, they'll retheme into 'Bayou Country' then the whole area will sort of 'meld' together. But I think they'll just keep it Critter Country with perhaps a few new 'touches' that are more 'bayou' and less 'pine tree/mountain theme'. Unless they get rid or move Pooh. Which they won't.

Sure, I'm all about recycling. They'll keep any creature that 'fits' in the bayou and remove or reskin anything that is 'too identifiable' from SM

Honestly, I don't think I do. First off, he's dead. But mostly because I want it to be more of a happy, joyous ride rather than a traditional 'villain scares us then happy ending' ride. They could find some other way to 'story tell' the drop. Maybe we magically ascend to the skies to invite the fireflies then (safely) fall back to earth for the big party.

Quite beautiful. I but I always try to remember that concept does not always equal reality. In fact it very rarely even comes close.

Do you want the surrounding area to change? How can they change the surrounding area.
                        Bayou, all the way. With a great cajun fiddle/zydeco music loop. Move Pooh elsewhere (like ToonTown, now that M & M will be there it's more Disney cartoon-centric). Figure something else for that space. I'd say to re-do it a la BOG at WDW and make it a 'fancy' restaurant serving Louisiana and Creole cuisine. But with HB being so close, I don't know if they'd do that. Plus it might be a bit redundant with BB in NOS.

Naturally my first thought for the Pooh space is "Bring back CBJ". But that wouldn't really fit the bayou either. They could make a Cajun/Zydeco/NO jazz version with Louis leading an all swamp creatures band; "Louis' Louisiana Fais-do-do".
                        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I'm OK with a new story, but "after the kiss" seems an odd place to start. That being said, I don't like the Little Mermaid ride because it's just a re-tread of the movie. I'm also curious if they'll be frogs, and if not, how Louis, Ray, and Facilier will fit. They're all great characters.

I LOVE the music from the movie, but I'm not sure it would fit in a post-kiss story, sadly. I just hope that whatever it is, is as memorable and sing-able as "How d'ya do?" and "Zip A Dee Doo Dah".

My hopes are high, but my expectations... not so much. I'm not a fan of projections in rides. Animatronics and 3D is immensely more immersive. But projections are probably much cheaper and easier to maintain, so there ya go, that's what I expect. Who knows, though.

Maybe they'll turn Critter Country into a "bayou" part of NOS? What else might fit in the bayou? Could be fun. (Last-minute idea: take out Pooh and the shop, and turn the whole part of the area between Splash and GE into a 'bayou' that you can only cross by boat, that runs between the mountain and GE? A bit like the ferry to Tom Sawyer's Island...?).

Comment

Well we all know, if we dig a little deeper, that there's going to be be SOME type of name change to this attraction. Disney is all about branding and merchandising. They will want to incorporate Tiana into the title, somehow. My best bets are:
                            1) Tiana's Bayou Splash
                            2) Tiana's Big Bayou Splash
                            3) Splash Mountain at Tiana's Place
                            4) Tiana's Bayou Adventure
                            5) Splash Mountain: The World of the Bayou
                            6) Tiana's Mardi Gras Splash
                            7) Tiana's New Orleans Splash
                            8) Tiana's River Splash Adventure
                            9) Tiana's Bayou River Adventure

They could keep "How do'ya do" and "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Da" in the ride, either as instrumental segueways/ transitions, OR by having Tiana/ Louis hum or sing the songs.

Comment

Wow, it's been quite some time since I was active on this forum, hasn't it? Hello, my name is Karalora, and I'm into Disneyland and stuff.

Originally posted by MrGoat View Post
                              I'm OK with a new story, but "after the kiss" seems an odd place to start.
                              I'm certain this is so Tiana and Naveen will be human throughout the ride. The purpose is twofold: 1) it gives priority to the heavily marketed image of "Princess Tiana" as seen on all the merchandise, and 2) it avoids a misstep for which Disney was rightly criticized about the film itself, which was that their ballyhooed protagonists of color were transformed into animals for the bulk of the story. (This is something the studio was especially bad about in the 2000s, with no less than three examples.)

I have bad misgivings about the premise, i.e. "prepping for Mardi Gras." We all know what happened the last time Disney reskinned a flume ride with a climactic drop as a tie-in to a Princess movie and framed it as a sequel to the movie where the characters are celebrating a holiday. The infrastructure of Splash Mountain was very carefully designed to fit the story of Splash Mountain, with its (literally!) rising and falling action. If they try to keep the new ride as fluffy and conflict-free as these early write-ups suggest (a bad habit with Princess tie-ins), it's not going to fit. There needs to be some kind of structure so that the big drop makes sense as a plot beat as well as a kinetic thrill, and given the decision to set it after the action of the movie is already over, it's hard to speculate on what they might use.

Rides based on movies are in a weird place lately. Disney characters have gotten more complex and "protagonist-y" over the decades, and people fall in love with them and want to see them in rides, and Marketing wants to promote them because that's how you sell toys, but that hurts the rides themselves because they become more passive, third-person experiences. Splash Mountain manages to square the circle by coupling the guest experience of the ride (going up hills and down drops) to the character-based story that you can witness while riding. So I hope they can find that same rhythm for the Princess and the Frog.
                              Last edited by Karalora; 07-01-2020, 09:11 AM.
                              Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

If Tiana and Naveen will be human throughout the ride, that would be awesome! They can use the technology they've prepared for the Beauty and the Beast animatronics- and make something really beautiful. I think they'll make use of some, if not all of the America Sings AA's. I think the movie's music will suit the ride well if places in the correct spots, though I do think Zip-a-dee-doo-dah will be in there somewhere... I'm just curious on three things: Will the name change? Will there be a hidden tribute to SM (a la The mounted heads in Whinnie the Pooh?)? Will the music in the line change? I really like the operatic voice in the line....

Comment

I said this under someone's YouTube video about the change over. They're gutting the interior of Splash. They're not going to reuse the dated tech outside of the ride system and its layout. I imagine a little bit of that 4-D style for the Mickey and Minnie ride coupled with whatever they're doing in Japan with Beauty and the Beast.

Comment

For songs, I hope the riverboat finale is set to the Down in New Orleans finale that Tiana sings. The trumpets absolutely pop in this song and it's a perfect way to include Louis. The tune has the best energy to end the ride with and would be the most comparable to zip-a-dee-doo-dah. They should also include plenty of Zydeco (Ray's theme) and maybe include some new New Orleans style piano music. They don't need everything to come directly from the movie.

I hope that the America Sings AAs are given their final farewell when Splash Mountain closes. They've had their time. We shouldn't keep them just for nostalgia's sake.

Last edited by Co Foo; 07-01-2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
                                      If they try to keep the new ride as fluffy and conflict-free as these early write-ups suggest (a bad habit with Princess tie-ins), it's not going to fit. There needs to be some kind of structure so that the big drop makes sense as a plot beat as well as a kinetic thrill, and given the decision to set it after the action of the movie is already over, it's hard to speculate on what they might use.
                                      This is my biggest beef with the Little Mermaid ride. You go straight from Kiss the Girl to the final scene where all of the conflict has been resolved with Ursula dying in the background. There is no climax in the attraction, it just ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
                                        Wow, it's been quite some time since I was active on this forum, hasn't it? Hello, my name is Karalora, and I'm into Disneyland and stuff.

We all know what happened the last time Disney reskinned a flume ride with a climactic drop as a tie-in to a Princess movie and framed it as a sequel to the movie where the characters are celebrating a holiday.
                                        Welcome back, Karalora! I don't think I know the ride you're talking about here, and I am very curious! I didn't know Disney had any other flume rides aside from Splash, and maybe Pirates (if that counts as a flume ride).

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X