Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On this day - exactly 53 years ago: "A World On The Move" begins 'moving' guests!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] On this day - exactly 53 years ago: "A World On The Move" begins 'moving' guests!

HAPPY 53rd Anniversary
    to

TOMORROWLAND II
    "A World On The Move"

May the balloons be released ...........

Click image for larger version  Name:	ceremonies.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.0 KB ID:	8622072
    Offer us a speech Mickey!

Cut the ribbon, please ..............
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ceremonies2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.3 KB ID:	8622073

And now .... come on in folks, and enjoy!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TL entrance.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.0 KB ID:	8622074

Disneyland's ambassador narrates this video...........

And one in 1968 (Tomorrowland is towards the end of the video)

Now ... a little déjà vu.......

When the park opened July 17th 1955 ... and guests entered Tomorrowland ... they would find the doors to the right building were closed. Hall of Chemistry was incomplete. It would be another week or so that was ready. And TWA: Rocket To The Moon would also be shut .. and not ready till July 22nd.

Here again on July 2, 1967 .... while America The Beautiful opened a bit early (June 25), the doors to that building on the right of the entrance, AGAIN, would be closed. Adventure Thru Inner Space would not be ready until August 5th. And about that next version of that trip to the moon - Flight To The Moon was also shut for the second unveiling of TL, as it wasn't ready until August 12th. That left only CoP, Circle-Vision, Peoplemover, and Rocket Jets ready for guests those first few weeks.

So, though, those 2 attractions would wait ... you have to look at the speed in which it took for the whole project. From closing date Sept 5,1966 to July 2,1967. That's only 9 months! Incredible! I think
    Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters alone took that long, if not more! Plus ... remember, DL use to be shut on Mondays and Tuesdays in the Off Season ... so that helped.

Anyway folks ........ some of you know of a similar topic I did on TL II's debut in 2016. Rather than post ever pic again ... just a click here, and you get that amazing spread of Tomorrowland pictures .. all from it's first year in operation -

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...ve-july-2-1967

Enjoy :-)
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-02-2020, 07:10 AM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

I love this video and I want these to all come to Disney+.

Comment

In the words of Honoré Lachaille from Gigi, "I remember it well."

If you think about it, what an accomplishment. Next to the "Manhattan Project" and Kennedy proclaiming, "...before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth." Walt Disney and his team of Imagineers achieved some pretty amazing things, all within the span of a few years.

Think of all the technology that had to be conceptualized, invented, and built to withstand the day to day throngs of guests. Ford's Magic Skyway at the 1964 New York World's Fair (the prelude to the Peoplemover) only hit paper in 1960.

In a story told by Bob Gurr, Walt returned to California after meeting with the Ford Company, telling him: “OK, Bobby, you’re gonna work on the Ford ride. I told them you’re gonna use the booster brakes, so get started.”

The "booster brakes" were being used on the Matterhorn to regulate the speed of the Bobsleds, which Bob worked on with Arrow Development.

“I worked continuously from July 1961 to April 1964 to get this monster to work,” Gurr said. “It eventually took almost twice as long to develop as it took to build all of Disneyland!”

Eventually the "booster brakes" would be the genesis of the Omnimover.

Then there is the Carousel Theater and Mark II Monorail to think of. So basically from 1960-1967 the accomplishments are bind blowing.

Happy Birthday Tomorrowland 1967.
      “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
      so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
      WDW Trips: '81
      EPCOT Trips: '93
      Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Now THAT's the Tomorrowland I love and remember!!! A Land of movement and energy with plenty to do. Nowadays it's just a Land to walk thru to get to SM or the Monorail.
        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

For your enjoyment

“Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13

Comment

On a related note...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Magic Skyway 1C.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	8622199
            Click image for larger version  Name:	A-2-FirstFloorPlan (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	386.1 KB ID:	8622197Click image for larger version  Name:	A-9-ExteriorElevations (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	287.3 KB ID:	8622198

Comment

Tomorrowland_1967 I have a PeopleMover question for you. When it debuted in 1967, it went through the Carousel show building which housed Walt’s Epcot Model. I’m guessing it must have been removed in 1974 to debut with COP at Disneyworld and didn’t get another show scene until the Superspeed Tunnel in 1977. My question is from 1974-1976, was there anything in that showroom or was it just a dark room?

Comment

The beginning of the glory days of Tomorrowland, catapulting it into arguably the best land in the park.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC1986 View Post
                  Tomorrowland_1967 I have a PeopleMover question for you. When it debuted in 1967, it went through the Carousel show building which housed Walt’s Epcot Model. I’m guessing it must have been removed in 1974 to debut with COP at Disneyworld and didn’t get another show scene until the Superspeed Tunnel in 1977. My question is from 1974-1976, was there anything in that showroom or was it just a dark room?
                  sorry for the delay Mac ........

Take a look at these two CGI recreations of the second floor of CoP:

That short wall between the third row in the back, and the Peoplemover track. Just draw a visual picture in your mind of that wall going to the ceiling. Throw in several backlit "bus stop" size photos of America Sings scenes .... with the Del Monte symbol in. That was pretty much it. And pretty on the knocker what they did during Rocket Rods days. Except with windows.

It would have been similar to the Peoplemover's approach to Circle-Vision. Just before the windows looking into the waiting room ... there were picture scenes of what to see in America The Beautiful.

So during those first few years of AS 1974-76 ... just about all of the 2nd floor was offices. Super Speed tunnel reduced it to 2/3rds of the top floor space.
                  MY SIGNATURE:
                  Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                    On a related note...

Name:	Magic Skyway 1C.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	8622199
                    Click image for larger version Name:	A-2-FirstFloorPlan (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	386.1 KB ID:	8622197Click image for larger version Name:	A-9-ExteriorElevations (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	287.3 KB ID:	8622198
                    I wouldn't doubt Walt entertained the idea of putting this in Tomorrowland for at least a few minutes. It's just SEVEN acres large. That's all!
                    MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

sorry for the delay Mac ........

Take a look at these two CGI recreations of the second floor of CoP:

That short wall between the third row in the back, and the Peoplemover track. Just draw a visual picture in your mind of that wall going to the ceiling. Throw in several backlit "bus stop" size photos of America Sings scenes .... with the Del Monte symbol in. That was pretty much it. And pretty on the knocker what they did during Rocket Rods days. Except with windows.

It would have been similar to the Peoplemover's approach to Circle-Vision. Just before the windows looking into the waiting room ... there were picture scenes of what to see in America The Beautiful.

So during those first few years of AS 1974-76 ... just about all of the 2nd floor was offices. Super Speed tunnel reduced it to 2/3rds of the top floor space.

That sounds very lackluster, and this room never returned to its former glory that It had during its inaugural carousel of progress run which only lasted six years and now the building is 53 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC1986 View Post

That sounds very lackluster, and this room never returned to its former glory that It had during its inaugural carousel of progress run which only lasted six years and now the building is 53 years old.
                        Lackluster for sure. But they did have a plan while America Sings was in development. Since the entire top floor was available they were going to put a dark ride in there. A laser tag ride of sorts shooting at UFO targets .... the working title was The UFO Show.

Name:	43712A9C-0125-4F66-B91D-756E79203BFA.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	8624129

And of course we can see what this developed into over in the former circle vision building.

More on that ride for the carousel theater’s second floor here....

http://tomorrowlounge.blogspot.com/2...ss-to.html?m=1
                        MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Delete
                          MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Delete! Pain in the bum trying to do this on my phone! 🤨
                            MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

BEST TOMORROWLAND 1967- I miss it
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Mitsuo Natsume: The Forgotten Imagineer

Name:	flight_to_the_moon_model_small.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	8624743

Name:	flight_to_the_moon_small.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	8624744

Name:	flight_to_the_moon_model2_small.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	8624745

Name:	flight_to_the_moon2_small.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	8624746

Name:	tomorrowland_entrance_1967_small.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	8624747

Name:	tomorrowland_entry_facade_small.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	8624748
                                We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                                The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X