Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to have Disney in Quarintine

Hello Fellow Mice! I hope you're all fairing well in this uncertain time. I have a bit of a problem I think only fellow Disney Fans can give me advice on. I have a few underlying conditions and have been confined to my house since March, only going out for walks/ to get Drive-thru food. That's all fine and dandy, but what's killing me is the fact that I can't be in my favorite places in the world- the Disney Parks! I bet we've all missed trips during this time, and it sucks. I've tried a lot of ways to keep the parks in my life, such as making the food, burning the magic candles, even playing on the Park's Minecraft server (which is very fun, by the way!) but I still feel that ping of Disney sadness So, any tips on how to fill the Disney void? Activities, recipes, videos... all is welcome! I think we all need some Disney in these weird times, but sadly, 'tis unattainable.

I have been doing Disney jigsaw puzzles. That's fun and some are very nostalgic.

You could listen to music from the parks. If you enjoy crafts, I'm sure you could figure out something or google for ideas . When I was young I used to make simple embellishments for my candles. I don't know what the magic candles look like, but maybe you could embellish them somehow to be even more Disney, if that appeals to you. I saw some very creative displays of tsum tsums and other Disney souvenirs at the LA County Fair last year. That's another project you could work on, if you haven't already.
    "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Oh, and if you haven't watched The Imagineering Story on Disney+, do that.
      "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

It's a good time to go through photographs, if you're that old, and scan them. You can share them so we can all discuss the magic.
        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
          Oh, and if you haven't watched The Imagineering Story on Disney+, do that.
          I love it so much! I made my boyfriend sit through it with me

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
            It's a good time to go through photographs, if you're that old, and scan them. You can share them so we can all discuss the magic.
            Awwww, that's a sweet idea! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
              I have been doing Disney jigsaw puzzles. That's fun and some are very nostalgic.

You could listen to music from the parks. If you enjoy crafts, I'm sure you could figure out something or google for ideas . When I was young I used to make simple embellishments for my candles. I don't know what the magic candles look like, but maybe you could embellish them somehow to be even more Disney, if that appeals to you. I saw some very creative displays of tsum tsums and other Disney souvenirs at the LA County Fair last year. That's another project you could work on, if you haven't already.
              I love listening to the parks music! It's been blasting since March! I like the merch idea, thank you!

Comment

One of the things that I’ve done to bring the parks home is build my own custom Haunted Mansion animatronics and special effects for Halloween.

So far, I’ve built the hitchhiking ghosts and the singing busts. I’ve also made some foux brick pillars and wrought iron fencing that matches the exterior.

Next I’ve been considering building the scared caretaker and his dog, along with possibly the cemetery gates.

It’s been a very fun and satisfying hobby, and when Halloween comes around it’s pretty cool to have my own haunted mansion in my front yard.
                Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                Walt Disney World
                Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

If you haven’t already seen it, take a trip to yesterland.com to visit old Disney rides. The author has a fun way of writing articles: the first part details the attraction as if it is still around and the second part goes into the history.

If you are more of a video fan, YouTube is also good for looking at old (and current) attractions. I prefer Defunctland; I especially like how he finds a Disney connection to other, non-Disney theme parks and attractions like the video about the Ferris wheel.

I often like to play Carthay’s music while I make and enjoy similar drinks such as Old Fashioneds and double pear martinis (but with variations for ease). Trader’s Sam’s soundtrack is also on YouTube so I recommend that with a tiki drink (virgin or otherwise). Pirates queue music also works really well as a background while drinking and eating.
                  Your false dichotomy bores me.

Comment

Videos, Podcasts and epscially books/audio books about the parks.
                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
                      Pirates queue music also works really well as a background while drinking and eating.
                      I love to listen to this while doing housework, it's very calming and helps me stay focused. Nice on a hot day too, I can imagine the ambience of the loading area of the ride.

I am a crafty person, so I've made all kinds of cute stuff to wear on future visits. Brooches/pins, ears, jewelry, etc. Mickey and Minnie head silhouettes are a nice easy shape that can be adapted into almost any craft project. I also decorated my office bulletin board at work with some nice Disney postcards I've collected over the years.

Comment

I have a MICKEY
                        Pie-Eye picture in my bedroom........that always makes me smile
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Make a "Visit to Disneyland" audio track. It's a project that can be as simple or obsessive as you like (be warned, it can be easier than you think to get trapped in the latter).

v1.0: Collect all the DL attraction soundtracks and area background music you can find for the era of DL that you want to visit. Using a free video-to-audio converter and playlist editor, edit them in the order you would hear them during a visit. Play the mix as a loop on a portable device on earbuds, or on speakers in a room in your home

v1.1: Remix to add crowd ambience to the BG music.

v1.2: Remix to add ambient sound effects (Main Street vehicles, shooting galleries, Mark Twain steam whistle in the distance, etc.).

v.2.0: Mine the internet to upgrade your source tracks for completeness and audio quality. Get serious about your file-naming and-storage protocols; reorganize your library as needed. Remix to replace old material with new material.

v.2.1: Create ride-to-ride and land-to-land transitions. Here you can get as realistic as your source material, editing skills, audio app, and obsession allow. (Warning: at this stage you may feel the need to move up to a more full-featured audio editing app.)

v.2.2: Improve the audio quality by replacing all your mp3 tracks with lossless formats (WAV, AIFF, FLAC). Re-convert your original video sources to save the audio in lossless format. (Warning: at this stage you may feel the need to upgrade your audio components.)

v.2.3. Improve the realism by doing a full remix to tweak the balance and EQ.

v.3.0: Extend the ambience to other rooms of your home with Bluetooth. (Warning: at this stage you may feel the need to spend some serious money on remote speakers. An understanding family will be helpful.)

v.3.1: Extend the ambience to areas Bluetooth can't cover, like your yard, with FM. (Warning: the more you hear your mix, the more you will find areas to remix.)

v.3.2: Once a year, re-mine the internet for new and/or better-quality replacement source material. Remix as necessary.

v.4.0: Repeat v.1.0 through 2.3 for a "Christmas at Disneyland" remix. (Warning: at this stage, living with a DL-obsessed partner or family is necessary.)
                          Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-07-2020, 03:49 AM.
                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

You can play some Disney/Disneyland themed board games

Attached Files
                            Disney Jungle Cruise Adventure Game is currently at $0.00. Compare prices for the Disney Jungle Cruise Adventure Game board game across 12 board game online retailers like Amazon, Miniature Market and Cool Stuff Inc.
                            "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

Comment

daughter and I go to YouTube and visit all the Disney parks around the world...we discuss what's the same and what's different with the parks, try to check out the restaurants and hotels, and people watch...I also stick in some education when we do this, like talk about the currency used in the different parks, who might be the president or leader of the country, maybe listen to the languages spoken and see how well we could speak that language, and so on...
                              I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

I mostly listen to park soundtracks when I'm feeling the absence too keenly. If I need something a little more hands-on, I have the Disney Castle and Disney Train LEGO sets.
                                Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
                                  Re-reading all my old TRs (And getting ready to start/finish so many more I never published) is getting me so excited for Disney....

I am, too!

Your house is so amazing, It's fun just to look at it! One thing I'm gonna copy -- the "Neat & ready" sign. So much said in so few words!
                                  Thanks for sharing your home with MC.

Comment

Oh, and on topic, what I'm doing to "live Disneyland" while in a stay-at-home mode....I've been listening to a park soundtrack and watching Disney+, but my favorite activity has been working on scrapbooking prior trips. The project is long overdue and so many happy memories are coming back. And I'm spending so much less staying home all the time that I don't feel guilty ordering a billion scrapbook stickers. Fun, fun, fun!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X