Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World of Disney at Downtown Disney Now Open

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • World of Disney at Downtown Disney Now Open

    Here is a video from Dustysage that talks about today's opening. It was crazy.

    https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...video_explicit

  • #2
    I saw the pictures on Twitter of people not following social distancing guidelines.

    Surprised? No... Also, I don't understand the hype around Downtown Disney of all things?

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't think it's just about Downtown Disney. I think it's mainly about a longing to return to normalcy, coupled with the fact that so many people don't have jobs, but they still have a decent income (with UI and the $600 extra).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
        I don't think it's just about Downtown Disney. I think it's mainly about a longing to return to normalcy, coupled with the fact that so many people don't have jobs, but they still have a decent income (with UI and the $600 extra).
        True... I just would have never expected a long line outside security, and the shopping center to be crowded for, you know... Downtown Disney. Maybe I'm a little bias because I rarely ever step into Downtown Disney territory. I almost expected a reaction like this on the day of the parks reopening.

        Comment


        • #5
          That was a really good video. I like how Starbucks has a little pickup cart for mobile orders. DTD mostly looks fine and safe outside, but it's the going inside bit that worries me. Also the walkways are so much more spacious than inside DL itself. Looking forward to the WDW videos. I can't believe they're really opening in 2 days.
          "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

          Comment


          • #6
            It’s about all of the resellers whose Disney merch have run dry. Here’s a peek inside of WoD.
            https://www.reddit.com/r/Disneyland/...tm_name=iossmf

            Comment


            • #8
              With Downtown Disney reopening, this means the Disneyland Resort has technically reopened as well!!!

              For those who've been wondering, DTD was closed for 114 Days, with the last date open, was back on March 16th.
              [Fun Fact: I was there that day]

              I'm glad they opened DTD before the parks, so they can perfectly fine tune & adjust safety protocols. Please be safe out there everyone!

              Originally posted by Zanadros View Post
              It’s about all of the resellers whose Disney merch have run dry.
              Who wants to bet that Disney will eventually put a limit on ALL merchandise for each customer? The Orange County Register has a guest quoted that they bought "20 Minnie Ears". Remind me why you needed so many?

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by whoever View Post
                From what I've seen the Ebay resellers have been starving for merch because there's pics of people carrying garbage bags full of merch out of WOD.
                Hopefully, they'll be dealt with like this:
                https://insidethemagic.net/2018/12/b...lers/comments/
                And this was in late 2018, so they've have over a year and a half to improve the system to track them.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                  The Orange County Register has a guest quoted that they bought "20 Minnie Ears". Remind me why you needed so many?
                  Because they have a lot of friends? Lol...

                  I wasn't expecting the place to be so busy, but I forgot about the merch flipping biz...Hopefully the traffic subsides a bit in a few weeks. I wouldn't mind going over to grab lunch and enjoy a little Disney ambience, but not if I have to wait in line an hour to get herded through the gift shop like a sheep.
                  Still doesn't look as bad as IKEA though. I went to one a couple weeks ago and what a mistake that was.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                    Hopefully, they'll be dealt with like this:
                    https://insidethemagic.net/2018/12/b...lers/comments/
                    And this was in late 2018, so they've have over a year and a half to improve the system to track them.
                    Amen!!!
                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                    designed to appeal to everyone."

                    - Walt Disney

                    "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                    - Michael Eisner

                    "It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                      Who wants to bet that Disney will eventually put a limit on ALL merchandise for each customer? The Orange County Register has a guest quoted that they bought "20 Minnie Ears". Remind me why you needed so many?
                      It's a scientific fact that Ebay resellers have 20 heads. They bud on various parts of their bodies, like yeast -- pinch one off and it just grows back. I know, I know, you laugh. But I swear it's fer-real. Here's a link to an actual video of one of them being busted by a pair of Disney security guys.
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

                      - Walt Disney

                      "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

                      "It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Everyone can relax about opening day at Downtown Disney. There was an early rush, yes, but that was made up of resellers, bloggers, and people starving for ANY Disney experience. The truth is it was not very busy by mid-afternoon. With most of the dining options closed DTD just doesn't have enough to draw a consistent flow of guests on its own. This weekend may be relatively busy but with the heat and everyone being forced to be outside I doubt many will stay very long. Next week's attendance will tell the true story. After the initial surge will people want to come back? The restaurants that are open are offering limited menus with jacked up prices. There's very little that's appealing about Downtown Disney right now.

                        If the parks don't have an opening date by the end of the month then I predict all of Downtown Disney will shut down again. There's a reason some places didn't open and Patina only opted to open two of their six locations. Downtown Disney can not survive on its own without the parks for more than a couple of weeks. Operating a business there is very expensive and if there are few guests then the open businesses will lose a lot of money. They should have kept Downtown Disney closed until the parks are ready to open.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          I'm curious about these online resellers. Isn't all this merchandise already available online directly from Disney?

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            It's a little sad to see people not following the guidelines, but someone in the thread said it calmed down very quickly. As long as the cast members are safe, that's fine. I just hope they're stricter when the parks reopen.

                            Comment


                            • #16
                              Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                              I don't think it's just about Downtown Disney. I think it's mainly about a longing to return to normalcy, coupled with the fact that so many people don't have jobs, but they still have a decent income (with UI and the $600 extra).
                              I think you are Right........longing to return to normalcy
                              and somewhat I can understand .
                              But at this time as for me ....-I can wait-
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

                              Comment


                              • #17
                                Originally posted by Rammikin View Post
                                I'm curious about these online resellers. Isn't all this merchandise already available online directly from Disney?
                                They fulfill two markets....

                                1) They buy parks exclusive merchandise and then resell it on ebay or through other means at a markup so people who cannot travel to the park can purchase it. I will fully admit living in Canada we have made use of these once or twice to get some sealed food items at christmas.

                                2) The more nefarious IMHO buy massive quantities of limited edition or limited time merchandise and sell them for huge markups on eBay. They will often use bot accounts to buy multiple items or gain access to the site when there is a high quantity of traffic. Notice how the second the Splash remodel was announced all of the splash merchandise disappeared and a ton ended up on ebay for massive markups, reseller vultures were circling.

                                Comment


                                • #18
                                  Meanwhile...

                                  Coronavirus rages in Orange County, but don’t tell that to Disney fans

                                  "The theme parks are still closed, but Disney’s retail center, Downtown Disney, reopened this week to huge crowds and immediately became a flashpoint for the larger debate about whether California is reopening too quickly even as it sees record numbers of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations and rising death tolls. Orange County has been hit particularly hard, with hospitalizations increasing nearly 100% in three weeks.

                                  At the same time, the county remains a hotbed of the coronavirus resistance. Cities sued to keep beaches open. Politicians openly scoffed at the suggestions of health officials that residents wear masks in public places. Residents hectored the county’s chief health officer into resigning...."


                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

                                  - Walt Disney

                                  "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

                                  "It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

                                  Comment


                                  • #19
                                    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                    Meanwhile...

                                    Coronavirus rages in Orange County, but don’t tell that to Disney fans

                                    "The theme parks are still closed, but Disney’s retail center, Downtown Disney, reopened this week to huge crowds and immediately became a flashpoint for the larger debate about whether California is reopening too quickly even as it sees record numbers of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations and rising death tolls. Orange County has been hit particularly hard, with hospitalizations increasing nearly 100% in three weeks.

                                    At the same time, the county remains a hotbed of the coronavirus resistance. Cities sued to keep beaches open. Politicians openly scoffed at the suggestions of health officials that residents wear masks in public places. Residents hectored the county’s chief health officer into resigning...."

                                    "Amazing"....( I do not mean that, in a nice way )
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                    Comment


                                    • #20
                                      I've seen rumors if the cases don't go down within two weeks LA could be back to a phase one lockdown again....Doubt Orange will follow but could happen if cases just keep going up.
                                      All this before we send kids back to school and most likely spread it even more. While Disneyland should be open by now it can't and wont be because some people are just really screwing it up for the rest of us.
                                      Happy Halloween!!!

                                      Comment

                                      Get Away Today Footer

                                      Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X