Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is DL at the point where new attractions require closing an old one?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is DL at the point where new attractions require closing an old one?

Now that SWGE had take up a good chuck of land left that hadn’t been developed (and some backstage area), has Disneyland run out of room to expand and that the only way to build new attractions is to close old attractions?
    sigpic
    Be check out my movie review blog at:

Mastermind Film Productions

Originally posted by RforFilm View Post
    Now that SWGE had take up a good chuck of land left that hadn’t been developed (and some backstage area), has Disneyland run out of room to expand and that the only way to build new attractions is to close old attractions?
    There still is room inside and close-outside the berm to build new attractions. The main obstacle to building new attractions without losing the old ones is the management philosophy, entrenched since Eisner's day, of "build one, lose one" -- or even better, as was demonstrated by Rocket Rods, "build one, lose two". This allows Disney to use the new attraction to entice more people into the park (and to justify increasing ticket prices), while saving the cost of staffing and maintenance for the closed attraction.

An additional benefit in the minds of Disney's marketing-dominated management is that the closed attractions are frequently non-IPs, or reference dated IPs, while the new attractions and overlays nearly always promote current Disney brands. As the pre-and post-Eisner comparison lists show, IP-based attractions were in the minority during Disneyland's first 30 years, but gained the majority under Eisner and his brand-marketing management team.
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	829B480A-5E72-4C84-816A-7F8C49B5F49E.png
Views:	839
Size:	8.48 MB
ID:	8622857

I’m not sure what’s back here, but there might be a little space between Space Mountain and Main Street still.

It’s technically removing something, but the old America Sings building isn’t doing anything useful anymore and could go away to make room for something as well.
      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
      Walt Disney World
      Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
      1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
      2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

Name:	829B480A-5E72-4C84-816A-7F8C49B5F49E.png
Views:	839
Size:	8.48 MB
ID:	8622857

I’m not sure what’s back here, but there might be a little space between Space Mountain and Main Street still.

It’s technically removing something, but the old America Sings building isn’t doing anything useful anymore and could go away to make room for something as well.
        Ditto the Motorboat Cruise and the WonderBra Theater.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

There still is room inside and close-outside the berm to build new attractions. The main obstacle to building new attractions without losing the old ones is the management philosophy, entrenched since Eisner's day, of "build one, lose one" -- or even better, as was demonstrated by Rocket Rods, "build one, lose two". This allows Disney to use the new attraction to entice more people into the park (and to justify increasing ticket prices), while saving the cost of staffing and maintenance for the closed attraction.

An additional benefit in the minds of Disney's marketing-dominated management is that the closed attractions are frequently non-IPs, or reference dated IPs, while the new attractions and overlays nearly always promote current Disney brands. As the pre-and post-Eisner comparison lists show, IP-based attractions were in the minority during Disneyland's first 30 years, but gained the majority under Eisner and his brand-marketing management team.
          Sound like a Bingo - I Agree
          For sure Today Disney Parks is being use, for Billboard/Advertisement
          and yes building new attractions without losing the old ones is the management philosophy, entrenched since Eisner's day!
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Galaxy's Edge has room for a possible expansion east of the land.

I wonder if they will knock down the TDA building and move administration offices to another location nearby(like the old Carousel Inn location). Even if the plot of land is at an odd angle, they could move other backstage facilities to that spot and free up other spaces in the park.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
              ...I wonder if they will knock down the TDA building and move administration offices to another location nearby(like the old Carousel Inn location). Even if the plot of land is at an odd angle, they could move other backstage facilities to that spot and free up other spaces in the park.
              Excellent idea. It's not like TDA's cubizens take advantage of being near the Park as part of their jobs -- most of them avoid the hoi polloi.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

This makes me sad.

Comment

Tear down Galaxy's Edge and build this:

Name:	frontierland-mine-train-bobcat.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	8622890

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post

Get My "VOTE"
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post

Boo....

ha ha
                      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                      Walt Disney World
                      Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

Along the lines of what Eisner/Pressler did during the '98 overhaul. At least in Tomorrowland it would make sense to expand to a "second level" of the land, not necessarily limited to the Peoplemover track but also spaces like the upper level of the Carousel Theater. Additionally, although unlikely with the current management is you could always move dining and retail around to gain space back for attractions. For example if you stuck in Tomorrowland, you could remove Redd Rocket's/Pizza Planet and gain that whole space that was once Mission to Mars and maybe combine that with the Magic Eye Theater for a decent sized pad. You could then upgrade a location like Edelweiss Snacks to a full counterservice and take over the Motorboat cruise area to make up for the lost dining.
                        "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
                        "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

Originally posted by TFN5459 View Post
                          Along the lines of what Eisner/Pressler did during the '98 overhaul. At least in Tomorrowland it would make sense to expand to a "second level" of the land, not necessarily limited to the Peoplemover track but also spaces like the upper level of the Carousel Theater. Additionally, although unlikely with the current management is you could always move dining and retail around to gain space back for attractions. For example if you stuck in Tomorrowland, you could remove Redd Rocket's/Pizza Planet and gain that whole space that was once Mission to Mars and maybe combine that with the Magic Eye Theater for a decent sized pad. You could then upgrade a location like Edelweiss Snacks to a full counterservice and take over the Motorboat cruise area to make up for the lost dining.
                          Exactly. You can bet that WDI has been pitching those kinds of ideas to management for years -- and getting stalled by each management regime, which kicks the can down the road to the next regime.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

There is still the whole backstage area that wraps around the western side park from the Indy show building all the way up to GE.

I know, I know. It's used for all kinds essential backstage areas, costume department, staff dining halls, etc.

BUT, if all of that could be moved somewhere else a little more off site then there would be plenty of room for expansions.

(Not to mention that the north-eastern edge of the park that currently only houses the subs and Autopia takes up a huge amount of land that in my opinion could be used for something more interesting.)

Comment

Ah, I'd love to have an expansion without a demo day. With the space between Main Street/ TL, that's probably never gonna be a good place since that's where the parade likes to park. I think the only way it could truly expand is with a third gate- and seeing as Disney is land locked unless it buys the stuff around it, is pretty unlikely. it sucks because I think there are no more areas of DLR to demo without it causing a stink. The only one I can really think of is Hollywood land, but Disney freaks like us would still freak out!

Comment

The only area in Disneyland that could be used for a new attraction without removing a current one is the area between Casey Jr. and Toontown. The old Fantasyland Theatre is no longer in use. This is a decent sized area that is best suited for a Fantasyland expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by TorTuGA Mickey View Post
                                  The only area in Disneyland that could be used for a new attraction without removing a current one is the area between Casey Jr. and Toontown. The old Fantasyland Theatre has not been used and is not in use. This is a decent sized area that is best suited for a Fantasyland expansion.
                                  The theater is actually in use with a current show.
                                  https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ent...y-magical-map/

Even so, I’d love to see it replaced with a ride instead.
                                  Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                                  Walt Disney World
                                  Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

Thanks for the link. I thought the show was retired last year. It will be interesting to see if it comes back or becomes a budget cut.

The theater is actually in use with a current show.
                                    https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ent...y-magical-map/

Comment

IMO-Fantasyland Theatre area , I think it would be Fantasyland Expansion area =down the road.
                                      Sense Disney Leadership , is not into having any stage show.........
                                      and wants to cut down on Entertainment in the the parks.
                                      Again it just My Opinion
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X