Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not more subterranean attractions/show buildings/ dining locations?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm no expert, but "digging down" seems to be a bit more logistically difficult than building up. You need a wide buffer zone around the excavation for safety, and in a park as hemmed-in as Disneyland, that means closing a lot more than just the area immediately under construction. And that's not even getting into the issues with earthquake-safety regulations and the like.
    Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
      I'm no expert, but "digging down" seems to be a bit more logistically difficult than building up. You need a wide buffer zone around the excavation for safety, and in a park as hemmed-in as Disneyland, that means closing a lot more than just the area immediately under construction. And that's not even getting into the issues with earthquake-safety regulations and the like.
      The expense is indeed an issue.

Some related discussions from the last several years:

Could an Underground "Land" Work in the Landlocked Disneyland Resort?

Disneyland Underground

Are Utilidors Being Built Beneath the Disneyland Resort?

Disneyland Underworld

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

^Agreed with above posts. Disneyland is in Earthquake country, making this idea hard to do.

And while WDW has the Utilidors, they didn't dig into the ground to make them. They built them on ground level, then built the park over them.

Some newer projects have require some significant digging, though. The Little Mermaid ride was dug slightly deeper, to illustrate the diving underwater effect. The DVC wing at the Grand California was built with a minor basement parking garage.

Comment

Agreed. Here in the San Francisco Peninsula where every inch is premium, they often mandate costly out-of-sight underground parking in some towns. Expensive, but land is more valuable at Disneyland. I would take it a step further in tomorrowland and have both underground show rooms and a second story for attraction entrances/ques and dinning rooms with views(that people enter on the first floor with shops). Disneyland needs to be going vertical and stacking experiences.

Comment

Hard to say what kind of utilities or infrastructure might already be located in some areas that would need to be worked around or moved.

Comment

I like the idea of going 2 levels to stack rides and attractions. Look at the building for the new Mickey RR. Imagine they dug down 8 - 10 feet for Mickey, then used a second level for a different ride, say a Chip n Dale ride. The building still would be no more than 20' high, and not affect sightlines.
              "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

The northern third of Orange County actually sits on top of a vast ground water table. In many areas you will hit water in less than 15 feet. A lot of work and money would have to go into making sure the ground is dry and stable enough.

Fortunately Walt learned this lesson early on. When they poured water into the Rivers of America for the first time the water quickly sank into the soil and disappeared. He quickly realized he needed to line it with concrete to prevent this from happening.

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                  I like the idea of going 2 levels to stack rides and attractions. Look at the building for the new Mickey RR. Imagine they dug down 8 - 10 feet for Mickey, then used a second level for a different ride, say a Chip n Dale ride. The building still would be no more than 20' high, and not affect sightlines.
                  While this idea would probably never happen (sadly), I would love to see stuff like this! The park is so small, and it's land-locked, this would really be the only way to expand without having to get rid of something else. I think they could make it fit in some places- I think TL could have two stories, it goes with the vibe. It's the dream to see a big expansion...

Comment

Price and im assuming extra crazy costs/regulations in CA now days compared to back when HM and Pirates were made.
                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                      Price and im assuming extra crazy costs/regulations in CA now days compared to back when HM and Pirates were made.
                      Or better yet, Splash Mountain, where the track layout alone, would be rejected today. Just from how interwoven the flume and train trestle are.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowTugStrap View Post

I think TL could have two stories, it goes with the vibe. It's the dream to see a big expansion...
                        I always felt
                        that main steak way into Tomorrow Land
                        can always be two stories as expansion goes .

So I Agree with your dream.....

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

There is actually at least one tunnel in DL, but it does seem to have been built and then landscaped over. For the sake of discretion and not spoiling anyone's fantasies, I won't say where the ends are, but I've been through it as a guest. So if it works in this small way in DL, and it works in WDW, what's to stop them? Maybe they could do more of that?

Thinking more about it, maybe space in the park is limited enough that they couldn't build a new hill without making it too steep for OSHA or more likely, the disabled? I mean, if you build a hill that's 10' tall but whose slope is greater than about 15 degrees, ...that might take up more space than it creates. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                            The northern third of Orange County actually sits on top of a vast ground water table. In many areas you will hit water in less than 15 feet. A lot of work and money would have to go into making sure the ground is dry and stable enough.

Fortunately Walt learned this lesson early on. When they poured water into the Rivers of America for the first time the water quickly sank into the soil and disappeared. He quickly realized he needed to line it with concrete to prevent this from happening.
                            This is what I always heard about doing utilidors/underground dev't at DL, that the water table was too high for it to be practical.
                            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

Or better yet, Splash Mountain, where the track layout alone, would be rejected today. Just from how interwoven the flume and train trestle are.
                              I hate stupid laws.....nothing has ever gone wrong from that layout but some jerk who has never lifted a hammer in his life is going to tell others what they can and can't build and tax it as much as he can.

Disneyland was built at such a good time even ten years later would have killed the project because of the costs and risks it was taking, hell from the book I'm reading right now Walt ran out of funds over 5 times before the park was done being built so its a miracle it was ever made.
                              Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

it's been done at least once, going vertical, with the Subs and Autopia...doesn't seem they quite want to do that again...
                                I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Alice is mostly above Toad. The Rocket Jets were over the PeopleMover loading platform, which was itself on a second floor.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X