Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEAConnect Theme Park Attendance Report for 2019 Released

For anyone interested, this is, I guess, considered the definitive resource to see how the various parks and attractions did over the previous year. It is usually released around late May/early June. I'm sure the delay had something to do with the current health crisis. One thing to note: remember how "dead" the Summer was, and how Galaxy's Edge didn't seem to be drawing the crowds they were expecting? Well it looks like the attendance for Disneyland last year was exactly what it was for 2018. 18,666,000 both years. DCA was also the same. Of course, admission prices were higher in 2019, but anyway, here's a link to the report:
    http://www.teaconnect.org/images/fil...224_585154.pdf

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
    For anyone interested, this is, I guess, considered the definitive resource to see how the various parks and attractions did over the previous year. It is usually released around late May/early June. I'm sure the delay had something to do with the current health crisis. One thing to note: remember how "dead" the Summer was, and how Galaxy's Edge didn't seem to be drawing the crowds they were expecting? Well it looks like the attendance for Disneyland last year was exactly what it was for 2018. 18,666,000 both years. DCA was also the same. Of course, admission prices were higher in 2019, but anyway, here's a link to the report:
    http://www.teaconnect.org/images/fil...224_585154.pdf
    So much for the clamor to SWGE. Looks like the Guests weren't buying what Disney was shoveling.

“Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
    so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Some more relevant notes:

-All 6 North America Disney parks landed in the top 8 for Theme parks in America.
      Domestic Rankings
      1.Magic Kingdom (Highest attended park in North America, for its' 19th consecutive year!)
      2. Disneyland
      3. Animal Kingdom
      4. Epcot
      5. Disney Hollywood Studios
      8. Disney California Adventure

-Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach ranked #1 and #2 Water parks respectively in North America, and #2 and #3 worldwide.

Hong Kong Disneyland was not the least attended park in 2018, but rather Walt Disney Studios in Paris, which ranked 23rd worldwide.
      Worldwide Rankings
      1. Magic Kingdom (Highest attended in the world, for its 13th consecutive year!)
      2. Disneyland
      3. Tokyo Disneyland
      4. Toyko DisneySea
      6. Animal Kingdom
      7. Epcot
      9. Disney's Hollywood Studios(WDW)
      10. Shanghai Disneyland
      13. Disney California Adventure
      14. Disneyland Paris
      21. Hong Kong Disneyland
      23. Walt Disney Studios (Paris)

And finally whether attendance increased, decreased or no change.
      Disney's Hollywood Studios(WDW) +2%
      Animal Kingdom +1%
      Magic Kingdom +0.5%
      Disneyland 0%
      Tokyo Disneyland 0%
      Toyko DisneySea 0%
      Epcot 0%
      Disney California Adventure 0%
      Disneyland Paris -1%
      Walt Disney Studios (Paris) -1%
      Shanghai Disneyland -5%
      Hong Kong Disneyland -15%

Comment

It makes sense. If you have a pass that doesn’t allow you in the summer why not wait until you can go to GE? One of the main rides isn’t open anyways. Same if Disney is special trip; why pay all that money and miss something that is coming soon after your visit. I saw people mention this on Star Wars message boards.

Couple that with the fact that everyone assumed it would be busy, it’s no wonder it was business as usual. History repeats itself: people stayed away from WDW because they didn’t want to deal with anticipated crowds.

The so-called “failure” of GE is really just another way for people to whine they don’t like a movie.
        APs
        Burning Cabin
        Splash Mountain
        Star Wars
        Fantasy Faire
        Smoking
        Pirates
        Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

I am very curious to see this report next year. I think it will be very eye opening.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
            Couple that with the fact that everyone assumed it would be busy, it’s no wonder it was business as usual. History repeats itself: people stayed away from WDW because they didn’t want to deal with anticipated crowds.
            Except, WDW's numbers are up. As I mentioned in my last post, all parks except Epcot (which remained flat) were up. DHS had the most significant increase, by 2%.

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
            I am very curious to see this report next year. I think it will be very eye opening.
            I think all theme parks in the world will be hit significantly. I think this years park numbers will either remain flat or decrease overall. There is also a chance that a few competitor parks could steal up some Disney spots, as Disney remain closed longer. Universal Studios Japan was the highest non-Disney park worldwide in 2019, with it ranking 5th in attendance worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
              Except, WDW's numbers are up. As I mentioned in my last post, all parks except Epcot (which remained flat) were up. DHS had the most significant increase, by 2%.

I think all theme parks in the world will be hit significantly. I think this years park numbers will either remain flat or decrease overall. There is also a chance that a few competitor parks could steal up some Disney spots, as Disney remain closed longer. Universal Studios Japan was the highest non-Disney park worldwide in 2019, with it ranking 5th in attendance worldwide.
              I meant opening day at WDW was light.
              APs
              Burning Cabin
              Splash Mountain
              Star Wars
              Fantasy Faire
              Smoking
              Pirates
              Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

I think next years report will show significant drops of 30% or more and I am curious to see which parks have the biggest hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                  I think next years report will show significant drops of 30% or more and I am curious to see which parks have the biggest hit.
                  Hong Kong Disneyland for sure. Disneyland and DCA will likely drop ranks. At the moment, I think Shanghai Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Toyko Disneyland & DisneySea will do the best out of the Disney parks, . DHS is a dark horse, simply based on the eventual reopening RotR.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

So much for the clamor to SWGE. Looks like the Guests weren't buying what Disney was shoveling.
                    Just proves how Disney botched the whole thing.

Comment

The report says that Knott's went up 3%.

I'll repeat and elaborate: Knott's managed a 3% increase with no major new attraction and with their world-class competitor five miles away adding its biggest addition in at least a generation. HangTime was a 2018 addition but I doubt its residual drawing power was strong enough to manage that 3%. They did have a Summer festival with live bands everywhere and costumed "wacky relatives" which was probably a "Hail Mary pass" against SWGE more than anything, but something worked.

Even Magic Mountain managed a 0.5% uptick in attendance with their newest roller coaster being 4 years old (Twisted Colossus) and their hoped-for-2019 roller coaster a no-show (West Coast Racers opened in January of 2020).

Universal Hollywood was flat, but at least didn't take a hit up against SWGE.

Doesn't surprise me, really. I spent last Summer and Fall/Halloween at Knott's, and am still unsure why I felt no pressing need to visit SWGE. Other than the possible fact that Knott's was an infinitely better deal (including how massively awesome unlimited drinks for $30/year was, including Haunt, still boggles my mind). But I could have taken at least one splurgey trip to Disneyland, even this year after RotR opened, but didn't for one reason or another.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post
                        The report says that Knott's went up 3%.

I'll repeat and elaborate: Knott's managed a 3% increase with no major new attraction and with their world-class competitor five miles away adding its biggest addition in at least a generation. HangTime was a 2018 addition but I doubt its residual drawing power was strong enough to manage that 3%. They did have a Summer festival with live bands everywhere and costumed "wacky relatives" which was probably a "Hail Mary pass" against SWGE more than anything, but something worked.

Even Magic Mountain managed a 0.5% uptick in attendance with their newest roller coaster being 4 years old (Twisted Colossus) and their hoped-for-2019 roller coaster a no-show (West Coast Racers opened in January of 2020).

Universal Hollywood was flat, but at least didn't take a hit up against SWGE.

Doesn't surprise me, really. I spent last Summer and Fall/Halloween at Knott's, and am still unsure why I felt no pressing need to visit SWGE. Other than the possible fact that Knott's was an infinitely better deal (including how massively awesome unlimited drinks for $30/year was, including Haunt, still boggles my mind). But I could have taken at least one splurgey trip to Disneyland, even this year after RotR opened, but didn't for one reason or another.
                        A 3% increase is great, I am happy for Knotts. However, 3% increase of a comparatively smaller number isn't as hard to manage as a 3% increase of the kind of numbers Disney pulls in and thus, I don't feel is a far comparison.

Was Disney expecting more people last year? Obviously, yeah. But lets throw some numbers out there. These are obviously not the exact theme park statistics, but you'll get the idea.

If Disney brings in a hypothetical 100 people and Knotts only brings in 50 then what's a 3% increase for both parks? For Disney, they'd have to manage to bring in an additional 3 people for this equation while Knotts only needs to bring in 1.5. The fact of the matter is, the bigger you are, the harder it is to get those larger percentage increases. The smaller you are, the more impressive your percentages seem when they grow because you didn't really have all that much to begin with.

I'm not trying to belittle Knotts. I love 'em. -and Disney definitely was expecting an increase in attendance with Galaxy's Edge. But trying to throw around a 3% or 0.5% increase at much smaller attendance level parks in an attempt to hold them over a juggernaut of attendance numbers like the domestic Disney parks seems silly to me. There's also no question that Knotts is more affordable, as you've confirmed. So when you've got the park in Anaheim charging breaking point prices for a land missing it's star attraction and the much more affordable Knott's down the street, it's easy to see why they could grow 3% without any major additions. Which, if I'm not mistaken, isn't entirely true, either? They opened Calico River Rapids if I remember correctly. A much improved version of their previous attraction.
                        Last edited by Blurr; 07-20-2020, 06:38 PM.
                        "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X