Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland Ranked 11th in TripAdvisor Top 25, Why?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disneyland Ranked 11th in TripAdvisor Top 25, Why?

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Traveler...sementParks-g1

    Tripadvisor ranked Disneyland 11th in their Top 25, this ranking is based on reviews left on the site about amusement parks. It even falls under Universal Studios Hollywood and Florida and various other parks. Why all the hate for Disneyland? I would have thought it would at least be in the top 5, I’m guessing the guest experience has just not been up to par.

  • #2
    Who knows the reasoning for TripAdvisors rankings or their "algorithms" ... But what I do know, is that this place was/is top notch and way better then Hollywood Universal Studios.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think that outside of MC and local fans, Disney’s Magic Kingdom seems to be the preferred Disney Park (it ranks 1 on the linked list). Outside, it feels like the original Disney park is a second thought. Disney world is bigger and often that is perceived as better by the general public. Most of it’s size is unrelated to the Magic Kingdom itself but nevertheless, it gets more attention as a result.

      Since Universal is located near it, I think it feeds of this same energy. Not to mention trip advisor might get a wider arrange of tastes. Ultimately, despite the truth to the contrary, the larger public seems to relate Disney being for kids. Thus, ironically It gets a boost from families with young kids, but it hurts with families with older kids. Perception wise.

      As for Hollywood’s Universal..Well it’s in Hollywood. In my experience I have seen more foreigners there than Disneyland for this allure. Movies may not be filmed there as much but it still is the epicenter. I am not a fan of the newer elements of the tram tour, but the tour itself is still legit. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood used 5 points Texas (the western lot). Thus, it’s still a tour of a working studio of new films. This is something that Disneyland cannot provide. I feel like this is draw for many people. That and it has Potter which seems more popular internationally than Star Wars*

      *Based on the fact that Star Wars OT wasn’t even released in some large countries until recently (and it didn’t do well)...And just anecdotally using my international coworkers who stated as such.
      Last edited by Jesser-pie; 07-29-2020, 05:08 PM. Reason: I didn’t want to turn this into another debate re JKR/Potter
      APs
      Burning Cabin
      Splash Mountain
      Star Wars
      Fantasy Faire
      Smoking
      Pirates
      Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

      Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

      Comment


      • #4
        There's something really odd about that list, since it doesn't mention the Disney parks in Japan, which are seemingly universally acclaimed. I can see why a big segment of the general population might not tolerate well the crowds and expense at DL, but the list seems off, so I won't even ponder it too much.

        Comment


        • #5
          It could very easily be that apple in general have finally had enough of corporate management seeing DL as nothing more than a means to a huge bonus. In my opinion, they have been charging more and more while giving guests less and less.

          Maybe it has finally caught up to them........

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by micromind View Post
            It could very easily be that apple in general have finally had enough of corporate management seeing DL as nothing more than a means to a huge bonus. In my opinion, they have been charging more and more while giving guests less and less.

            Maybe it has finally caught up to them........
            Could well be.

            It wouldn't be too surprising if there turned out to be a connection between the underlying causes of the TripAdvisor rating and last year's tepid response to Star Wars Land.

            Whether or not the TripAdviser numbers are valid is moot; they're automatically rejected as invalid by Disney and its fans (unless, of course, they're positive numbers for Disney).
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

            - Walt Disney

            "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

            "It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

            Comment


            • #7
              Anecdotally I can tell you that lots of families and friends up here in western Canada don’t really plan for Disneyland trips much anymore, and if they do it’s to WDW instead. If people go to California now many are choosing San Diego many of these people are prime demographic with younger kids too. Lots of times it’s cited as 1) Cost isn’t providing bang for buck 2) Crowds are just too much now.

              while crowds are not fun in WDW there is a resort feel to the pace and I think people feel they get more bang for their buck there. Disneyland still has that “you gotta take the kids once” Mythos to it which keeps attendance up. But lots of people I know that aren’t “fans” don’t rank DLR very highly as they felt it was too crowded and too expensive compared to lots of other attractions. They go once to appease the kids then go to other places

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm sorry I have an AP to Universal but it's because the lines are short/single rider is easy to use....but come on Disneyland is better then any other park in CA. Hands down, even if your not a fan of the time zone of the ST land its still a work of art, its detailed and has a Modern day E ticket
                Happy Halloween!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                  Whether or not the TripAdviser numbers are valid is moot; they're automatically rejected as invalid by Disney and its fans (unless, of course, they're positive numbers for Disney).
                  Yep...the proof is in the pudding just two posts down from yours.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                    Yep...the proof is in the pudding just two posts down from yours.
                    Eh, let people enjoy what they enjoy. They are entitled to their opinions as much as someone like you, Wiggins or TripAdvisor is. There's literally nothing wrong with Jerrod's post or the way he (or other Disney fans who agree or disagree) feel. Even if a park were near universally-decried, those few who do like it would still be entitled to their opinion to enjoy it if they wanted to and shouldn't have to face belittlement from others just because they've got a differing opinion (especially over something like a theme park).

                    JerrodDRagon; I was in a similar boat when I had a Universal pass but it was mostly about affordability. I'll definitely agree that on the whole, Disney is still "top dog" of theme park experiences here in SoCal (though it definitely has some questionable folks calling the shots and changes being made time and again) but I'd usually find myself with a pass to Universal or Knott's in my back pocket because they were like.. 60 to 149 dollars at the time. Seemed fair to me because they were parks I felt like popping into for a couple of hours to grab a bite to eat and ride a ride or two (if the lines were short) before taking off. Disneyland on the other hand, was definitely something that commanded an entire day if not even from a quality standpoint but from a quantity and crowd level sort of way. The sheer number of things to do (plus quality of many of them), places to eat, shop, crowd levels, etc. will always feel more substantial to me than the 4 or 5 attractions Universal Studios Hollywood is packing (though, admittedly, their attractions are mostly quality).

                    Disneyland and Universal Studios Hollywood are still my top 2 in SoCal.. without thinking too hard, Knotts might be the 3rd. I'd be tempted to rate DCA higher because there's a handful of attractions I still enjoy and the food is awesome but I have to admit that it's just nostalgic memories that make something "off the shelf" like Goofy's Sky School special to me over there.

                    Any of these parks can be special to someone for whatever reason. But what's probably more important than the parks is the time you spend with folks you care about in them. Disneyland, Universal, Knotts, Legoland, SeaWorld, whatever. They're all special to me in some way because I have fond memories of spending time with those I love in each and every one of 'em. -and I'll be damned if I need something like TripAdvisor to validate the way I feel about any one specific park I enjoy visiting. I can't even imagine needing that kind of validation to enjoy this kind of stuff in life.
                    Last edited by Blurr; 07-30-2020, 06:57 AM.
                    "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                      Could well be.

                      It wouldn't be too surprising if there turned out to be a connection between the underlying causes of the TripAdvisor rating and last year's tepid response to Star Wars Land.

                      Whether or not the TripAdviser numbers are valid is moot; they're automatically rejected as invalid by Disney and its fans (unless, of course, they're positive numbers for Disney).
                      Well, is it an arbitrary ranking that was produced by whatever mythical algorithm TripAdvisor put together, so it is worth questioning if we even care that much. (But what else do we have to talk about? )

                      But, taking a step back, I doubt it has anything to do with corporate management and value - I believe TDO's operation of MK is much more an egregious example of milking a park for all it's worth than TDA and Disneyland. Again, because the list is arbitrary, it leaves its methodology open for speculation.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That ranking is based on reviews. People are much more likely to complain (ie post negative reviews) than positive ones which will affect the rankings. I always take Tripadvisor 'rankings' with a grain of salt.

                        I do find TA reviews to be generally helpful, but when you read the actual review you can sort the wheat from the chaff and/or focus on the factors that are important to you. You can't do that with just numbers.

                        It does make me 🙄 when someone posts a 1 star review because of the weather, it took 'too long' to drive there, or another factor that a facility has absolutely no control over. I'd bet willing to be that a lot of DLR's 'not so good' reviews are due to crowds (duh!) and a people who didn't get an unreasonable demand met.
                        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Outside of the Disney fan/fanatic bubble, Disneyland is often viewed as overpriced, too small and just not worth the hassle. Disney World is seen as having more bang for the buck with far greater options on pricing and provides much more activities for the entire family.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                            Outside of the Disney fan/fanatic bubble, Disneyland is often viewed as overpriced, too small and just not worth the hassle. Disney World is seen as having more bang for the buck with far greater options on pricing and provides much more activities for the entire family.
                            This is so true. While I much prefer DLR most of the people I know like WDW more now. Bang for buck is usually the number one reason. Can go for 7-10 days and pay only marginally more than a 5 day DLR trip. There’s more to do, and for a comparatively cheap price you can stay in a moderate with a great pool and four parks close by. Unless you’re dropping mega bucks you are staying in reasonable good neighbor for the same price with far fewer amenities in California.

                            While I found WDW more crowded you can avoid crowds a little easier and the pre planning (which i am not a huge fan of but it’s growing on me) means you are at least guaranteed a few quick waits after the morning. The reservation system is much more in your face than DLRs was and continues to be with maxpass and other options so people may not fully understand the fast pass system and miss out in DLR. combine that with the crowds and I can easily see why people are less than enthused.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'll also admit I was shocked to see the difference in prices in regards to hotel stays between DL and WDW. I understand the logistics of it.. there's more Disney Hotels in WDW so there's more rooms than would be available out here in Anaheim. But seriously, in some cases the price of a night or two at DL could have afforded me a week in WDW (again, at some hotels). Cast Member discounts also didn't apply as heavily to DL hotels as they did to WDW, causing an even further difference in price for me at the time.
                              "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Blurr View Post

                                Eh, let people enjoy what they enjoy. They are entitled to their opinions as much as someone like you, Wiggins or TripAdvisor is. There's literally nothing wrong with Jerrod's post or the way he (or other Disney fans who agree or disagree) feel. Even if a park were near universally-decried, those few who do like it would still be entitled to their opinion to enjoy it if they wanted to and shouldn't have to face belittlement from others just because they've got a differing opinion (especially over something like a theme park).

                                JerrodDRagon; I was in a similar boat when I had a Universal pass but it was mostly about affordability. I'll definitely agree that on the whole, Disney is still "top dog" of theme park experiences here in SoCal (though it definitely has some questionable folks calling the shots and changes being made time and again) but I'd usually find myself with a pass to Universal or Knott's in my back pocket because they were like.. 60 to 149 dollars at the time. Seemed fair to me because they were parks I felt like popping into for a couple of hours to grab a bite to eat and ride a ride or two (if the lines were short) before taking off. Disneyland on the other hand, was definitely something that commanded an entire day if not even from a quality standpoint but from a quantity and crowd level sort of way. The sheer number of things to do (plus quality of many of them), places to eat, shop, crowd levels, etc. will always feel more substantial to me than the 4 or 5 attractions Universal Studios Hollywood is packing (though, admittedly, their attractions are mostly quality).

                                Disneyland and Universal Studios Hollywood are still my top 2 in SoCal.. without thinking too hard, Knotts might be the 3rd. I'd be tempted to rate DCA higher because there's a handful of attractions I still enjoy and the food is awesome but I have to admit that it's just nostalgic memories that make something "off the shelf" like Goofy's Sky School special to me over there.

                                Any of these parks can be special to someone for whatever reason. But what's probably more important than the parks is the time you spend with folks you care about in them. Disneyland, Universal, Knotts, Legoland, SeaWorld, whatever. They're all special to me in some way because I have fond memories of spending time with those I love in each and every one of 'em. -and I'll be damned if I need something like TripAdvisor to validate the way I feel about any one specific park I enjoy visiting. I can't even imagine needing that kind of validation to enjoy this kind of stuff in life.
                                For sure same with me, Heck Universal dropped the highest pass with comes with one free front of the line pass per visit.

                                I;m thinking about getting that once Nintendoland opens so I never have to wait in line for Mario Kart.

                                Knotts is also great too but if you charged Disney prices you would not see the same kinda attendance, which to me is why Disney is top dog it has the newest and best tech on this coast and people are willing to deal with sooo many negatives like crowds, long lines, prices and even not getting to go on the new E ticket after traveling so far....its just the number one theme park attraction right now here and I'd even say in America until WDW finishes it's new rides/lands coming in the future
                                Happy Halloween!!!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                                  Outside of the Disney fan/fanatic bubble, Disneyland is often viewed as overpriced, too small and just not worth the hassle. Disney World is seen as having more bang for the buck with far greater options on pricing and provides much more activities for the entire family.
                                  Very true. We spend 9 days at Ft W (campsite) + 6 park days (no hop, not really needed at WDW) and even adding in the fuel to pull our trailer to FLA from CA it's still cheaper than 6 nights at the Grand + 5 day hopper at DL.

                                  I wish DL had its own moderate resorts (and I'd KILL for a DLR campground), but I guess I get why they don't. No need with so many off-sites available.
                                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                    Very true. We spend 9 days at Ft W (campsite) + 6 park days (no hop, not really needed at WDW) and even adding in the fuel to pull our trailer to FLA from CA it's still cheaper than 6 nights at the Grand + 5 day hopper at DL.

                                    I wish DL had its own moderate resorts (and I'd KILL for a DLR campground), but I guess I get why they don't. No need with so many off-sites available.
                                    R.I.P. Vacationland -- "The Recreational Vehicle Park across from Disneyland."
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

                                    - Walt Disney

                                    "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

                                    "It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Stormy View Post

                                      Very true. We spend 9 days at Ft W (campsite) + 6 park days (no hop, not really needed at WDW) and even adding in the fuel to pull our trailer to FLA from CA it's still cheaper than 6 nights at the Grand + 5 day hopper at DL.

                                      I wish DL had its own moderate resorts (and I'd KILL for a DLR campground), but I guess I get why they don't. No need with so many off-sites available.
                                      Maybe it’s the on site hotel cost which put it lower on the list.

                                      I have never stayed at any of the Disney owned hotels in Anaheim. I just don't see the value. I spend half (or less) at a hotel on Harbor or Katella and have always been satisfied with the choice. Honesty, I doubt I’ll ever choose to stay at the DLH or GC because of the cost.

                                      The last time I compared prices between WDW and DLR, it was significantly cheaper to stay with DLR over WDW primarily due to lodging costs staying off site. That may have changed in the last couple years, but I’ve always felt like DL was the better value if you don’t need to stay on site.
                                      Mike_M

                                      Disneyland Trips
                                      Walt Disney World
                                      Disneyland Paris

                                      1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                                      1990, 1992, 1993

                                      2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                                      2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019
                                      2020

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Stormy View Post

                                        Very true. We spend 9 days at Ft W (campsite) + 6 park days (no hop, not really needed at WDW) and even adding in the fuel to pull our trailer to FLA from CA it's still cheaper than 6 nights at the Grand + 5 day hopper at DL.

                                        I wish DL had its own moderate resorts (and I'd KILL for a DLR campground), but I guess I get why they don't. No need with so many off-sites available.
                                        I'm not sure it's fair to compare the cost of the Grand to a campground.

                                        But anyway, it looks like there are at least 2 RV parks by Disneyland - Anaheim RV Park, and Anaheim Harbor RV Park. Right across the 5 with shuttle service and pools.
                                        "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X