Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Two Disneyland Attractions on the Chopping Block

My brother informed me last night that, according to a Disney parks podcast, two attractions at Disneyland will be "temporarily closed" once the park reopens, but will actually go to Yesterland.

These attractions are Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage and Star Tours - The Adventures Continue.

The reasons:

* For both, Disney can easily justify "temporarily" closing both by saying they're cramped spaces with no way to social distance
    * For Nemo, management apparently loathes the attraction and has been trying to find an excuse to kill it since the first dry rehab
    * For Star Tours, there's a serious lack of replacement parts due to using 1980s flight simulator technology; that, and I assume Galaxy's Edge makes its presence in Tomorrowland redundant (same with Launch Bay, Hyperspace Mountain, Path of the Jedi, and Jedi Training Academy, come to think of it)

Do note that this is just a rumor, and one that doesn't have much to back it up since I can't find ANYTHING online about it.
    Disney visits over the years:
    • Disneyland, December 2000 (plus Legoland)
    • Disneyland, Summer 2003 (plus Legoland, SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, and Knott's Berry Farm)
    • Disneyland, December 26, 2004-January 2, 2005 (mom's 40th birthday at Plaza Inn; New Year's at Disneyland)
    • Disneyland, July 2005 (Pre-Disney Cruise visit)
    • Walt Disney World, December 15-25, 2006 (plus Kennedy Space Center)
    • Disneyland, August 2007
    • Disneyland, July 1-4, 2009
    • Disneyland, July 2011 (plus Universal Studios)
    • Disneyland, November 2011 (dad's 50th birthday)
    • Disneyland, June 2013
    • Walt Disney World, July-August 2013 (plus Universal CityWalk)
    • Disneyland, June 7-8 2014
    • Disneyland, December 27-31 2014 (mom's 50th birthday; my tenth visit)
    • Disneyland, Summer 2015 (plus Universal Studios)

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage? Yes. I can see that.

Star Tours... I'm having a hard time believing it. I do think it will be closed for the time being, but it's too popular for its own good, and easy to update. Also, the same technology was used in 2016 for the Iron Man Experience at Hong Kong Disneyland. I don't think parts are an issue.

Comment

Nemo makes sense for the cost of the ride...Star Tours....i guess but werid

To be fair the entire land needs to be chnaged, even Space mountain needs to be up updated a good deal
      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I agree. I can see the subs closing, but I really have a hard time seeing Star Tours going.

I don't enjoy the subs and never have, but I admit that the visual of the subs in the water is charming and I would miss that were it to go.
        "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

I like the subs. I don't particularly care for Nemo. The yellow submarines circling the lagoon is really the biggest selling point for the ride. If they axe this ride then they had better come up with something noteworthy to fill the space.

My daughter really likes Star Tours, so that's good enough for me even though I wouldn't be sad if it were gone.

Comment

I agree with everyone posts so far.

FNSV has been rumored to be on the chopping block multiple times in the past, including its questionable 'extended refurb' which some supected to be a way of quietly shutting the ride down. It doesn't help that, it was considered to be a location for Galaxy's Edge or the fact that the ride has a horrible max RPH (Riders Per Hour).

Star Tours closing, I'm more skeptical on. I don't buy the 'can't get parts', as the ride is in 3 other locations worldwide, making it a non unique ride. However, I could see them retheming the ride to Iron Man, similar to the ToT into GotGMB retheme.

Comment

The thing with Star Tours is the technology that makes the attraction move is based on flight training simulators used by the airlines. The only thing that matters by age is the computers that control it and they can be modernized as well. A machinest could rememnufacture any of the simulator parts. I think the death of Star Tour is Galaxies Edge. Star Tours can be converted into any number of new attractions.
              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Nemo, no question is gone. Too much money to maintain. But Star Tours is a wildly popular attraction and serves a lot of guests every hour. I, and many others, enjoy it far more than Smugglers Run. It would be really stupid of Disney to get rid of it. Nor do I buy the line about not being able to get parts for it. Some people want Star Tours gone for thematic purposes and that is probably where this rumor comes from. But I do not see Disneyland spending any money to reimagine anything now or in the near future. Disney is in a terrible position right now financially and will probably be that way for several years to come. Disney has never been known for spending its way out of tight times and I don't see any reason that would change now. Especially with the cheapskate they currently have running the company. I see lots of cuts coming but no additions for years to come unless they are already fully funded.

Comment

As much as I enjoy Star Tours, it really does feel weird to have Star Wars attractions in Tomorrowland now that Galaxy's Edge is open. In a strange way, it almost takes away from the magic of Galaxy's Edge, making GE feel less "real." Perhaps when RotR is finally operating like a normal attraction and is actually reliable, it would be a good time to finally remove Star Wars from Tomorrowland.

Comment

Works for me...both are outdated and really cant remember when I even actually rode any of those rides. Would be nice if it were true, that these "temp ride closures" lead to them being demolished for Tron...(slightly scaled down if need be) because I know it needs a lot of real estate

Comment

Considering that Star Tours went through a significant update only 9 years ago, The thought that they are now running low on parts sounds fishy to me.

The stories about maintenance woes on the Subs however are not new and I can sadly see some truth in that one.

I also can see the logic in both of these attractions staying closed initially due to the tight spaces guests would be in during the pandemic.

Personally, I hope the long term part of this rumor is false. I love both of these attractions and without them, all Tomorrowland would have left is Buzz, Autopia, the Monorail, and Space Mtn (Sounds like a lot, but really the only ride that would draw me there at all in that case would be Space Mtn).
                      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                      Walt Disney World
                      Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                      1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                      2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Loved the original Submarine Voyage, not a fan of Nemo. However, I appreciate the halo effect the subs bring to Tomorrowland and Disneyland. You lose those, you're left with an empty lagoon with nothing happening in it, further diminishing Disneyland into just another theme park, and Tomorrowland into a static wasteland. Busch Gardens has lagoons; Disneyland has a lagoon you can explore.

Not to mention the rich history that will be lost if the subs are binned.

Star Tours is my least favorite ride at Disneyland, but if its closed, nothing is going to replace it for a very long time, and Disneyland needs RIDES.

Just bad news all around, if true.

Comment

but if the Subs go, then eventually Autopia goes as well...although the Subs are not an opening day attraction, they certainly have been a long time attraction...as a young boy, I loved waiting in line for a Sub to come around, and listen to the motors of the Autopia cars and listening for the horn of the Monorail coming over the lagoon, and occasionally hearing screams coming from the Matterhorn...it was such a splendid immersion of sounds and sights and feelings converging at the Submarine queue...
                          I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Don't underestimate the fact that Star Tours is the only place the original movies and characters exist in the park, and the crowd pressure that the popularity of it takes off from its neighbor Space Mtn, and the rides in SWGE.
                            "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

IMO
                              I feel because of social distancing on the attractions.......
                              They be "temporarily closed"

Now what future has is another question?

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I am always skeptical of a post that starts with something like, "my brother informed me......". Not starting an argument, just my opinion.

But yes, I see the subs going. Rode them just before the park closed just because there was no line, and hadn't ridden them in years.

Star Tours. No way this is going. Social distancing, if still around, can easily be achieved by putting people in every other row every other seat if needed. This ride is too popular with FP filling up and consistently having a line all day.
                                "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "‚Äč This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

It seems that if there were technical difficulties with Star Tours it would have manifested itself in extended downtimes for individual simulators or, in an extreme case, one simulator being closed and gutted for parts for the others, but I'm not aware of any of that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                                    The thing with Star Tours is the technology that makes the attraction move is based on flight training simulators used by the airlines. The only thing that matters by age is the computers that control it and they can be modernized as well. A machinest could rememnufacture any of the simulator parts. I think the death of Star Tour is Galaxies Edge. Star Tours can be converted into any number of new attractions.
                                    This is true.

As a person who has been known to 'modernize' machinery once in a while and manufacture parts in a machine shop, it'd be pretty easy to bring Star Tours up to any modern standard.

If I remember, the Tiki Room was once controlled by computers using punched tape for a program and they replaced these computers with modern (at the time.....) PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers) and it still works as well as it always has.

The PLC panel very likely takes up about 10% of the room that the old system did.

Comment

It may be worth noting that any decent overhaul of Tomorrowland will practically require axing one if not both of those rides, as they are thematically completely incompatible with each other.

I don't know that I'd miss either one if they did go away. FNSV is a poor substitute for the surreal glory that was the original Submarine Voyage Thru Liquid Space. As for Star Tours...they robbed me of my favorite ride (at the time) to put it in and as far as I'm concerned it's overstayed its welcome, especially now that the fanboys have an entire LARP-land to play in.

In an alternate universe where SWGE was built adjacent to Tomorrowland, it would have been fascinating to have Star Tours exit into the new area, as if the ride had literally transported you there. In the universe we're stuck with, it's redundant.
                                      Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post

This is true.

As a person who has been known to 'modernize' machinery once in a while and manufacture parts in a machine shop, it'd be pretty easy to bring Star Tours up to any modern standard.

If I remember, the Tiki Room was once controlled by computers using punched tape for a program and they replaced these computers with modern (at the time.....) PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers) and it still works as well as it always has.

The PLC panel very likely takes up about 10% of the room that the old system did.
                                        Your Right.....about Tiki Room
                                        and Disney did update there system ,as they have with all there computers.
                                        Geee think of the PC we have at home now ,from what it was years ago.......IT's AMAZING
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X