Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on TomorrowLand space??!!

How about redoing TomorrowLand into “YesterLand”? Put in “America Sings”, “Flying Saucers”, “Rocket to the Moon”, “Inter-Space”, and “PeopleMover”. Move “StarTours” to Galaxies Edge. Rework “Submarine”. Put 50’s and 60’s bands on the “YesterLand” stage. Thoughts?

Like the enthusiasm, but I dont see how or why the cooperate bean counters would be on board for a multi million re-design for stuff thats old/archaic and already had a foot print. Not feeling the urge to rush back to the parks and ride the Flying Saucers and the People Mover. I would rather they scrap everything on this list to put in the Tron coaster. Just my 2 cents

Comment

I thought of the bean counters, but was thinking what to do with all that wasted space. “TomorrowLand” is not a viable concept and the Tron rollercoaster would be better in COA. That being said, your 2 cents are very valuable!!!

Comment

It's hard to imagine many people outside of Disney superfans wanting to go back and see defunct attractions.

Comment

I don't see this in the realm of possibility, but it's fun to dream! The land is desperate for some love, though.

Comment

Tomorrow Land needs lots ,lots, TLC !
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

While I’m not sure about a return of all the yesterland attractions, I do think that a full re-embrace of the mid-century futuristic style from TL ‘67 is long overdue. I believe that style evokes a feeling of the future in everyone, whether it’s a realistic or a fantastical one.

The style might be retro, but it’s still one that looks beyond.
              Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
              Walt Disney World
              Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
              1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
              2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
                While I’m not sure about a return of all the yesterland attractions, I do think that a full re-embrace of the mid-century futuristic style from TL ‘67 is long overdue. I believe that style evokes a feeling of the future in everyone, whether it’s a realistic or a fantastical one.

Spot on! Although the OP's idea would get an instant thumbs down from Disney's current marketing-dominated management (even if there were no pandemic), the place where the idea comes from -- placing the guest experience over brand synergy -- is commendable. It's the same attitude that gave rise to Disneyland in the first place, and drove the waves of groundbreaking improvements during the Park's first quarter century.
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

For the last 30 years "the place where the idea comes from",(TomorrowLand), we've had one building that used to be an attraction used as a walking exhibit of movie props (cool, but hardly groundbreaking), an attraction that became a "Pizza Port" with hardly ever people eating in it, a music stage used for little kids to be Luke Skywalker, one ride moved to the entrance of TL (basically causing a traffic jam-it was more exciting up in the air), RocketRods, PeopleMover track still in place (it's been there since I was a kid-I'll be 65 in October). My point is there are no ideas coming from the Disney people. Just sticking a roller coaster in TL (like every amusement park has) is not "imagineering"! I remember the first time I saw the new TL in 1967, it was amazing! Now TL reminds me of an amusement park that's seen better days. Don't get me stated on what a waste of real estate CA Adventure is. It was better as a parking lot...

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
                    It's hard to imagine many people outside of Disney superfans wanting to go back and see defunct attractions.
                    What about the newer generations that never saw those attractions? I’d be interested in knowing what they would have to say. To them ..... it would be the other way around - Star Tours .... been there, done that. Oh .... a ride where I get miniaturised to see the atom of a snowflake? That will be new to me!

One by one .... those attractions were met with inferior replacements - a lackluster exhibit hall to a revolving theater presentation with one of the largest future city models upstairs? A pizza joint to a trip into our solar system? A hunk a junk Observatron to a 90 foot high twirling set of jets to ride? Is a plywood shooting gallery with a cartoon space man that big of improvement over a film presentation that literally surrounds you? Is a Skyway better that than Nowhereway? Is an empty Peoplemover track better empty?

Bring on the retro land PLEASE!

Now .... reality talk. Some of those attractions may not have a second go around .... but let’s talk about the architecture of the land. Since the “Jetsons” styled Tomorrowland of 1967 ..... we went into a more “squared off” style for the seventies. WDWs Tomorrowland. To the pastel shade inspired EPCOT. To abandoning future designs and looking back - Jules Verne inspired metallic colours - DLP’s Discoveryland. More of the same with Port Discovery at DisneySea. To WDW’s 1920’s Sci Fi look remodel with lots of color and neon at night. To Tokyo Disneyland’s googie inspired cartoon look. To Disneyland’s cheap version of Discoveryland by just painting it shades of brown.

After 45 years ..... what’s the shift? Seems those “griddier” darker coloured designs haven’t held up so great! So who’s the dated design after all??? And what looks more futuristic?

Have a look at what’s happening at WDW’s TL lately? Seems their original 1971 look is making a return.

Who’s next?!
                    MY SIGNATURE:
                    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

What about the newer generations that never saw those attractions? I’d be interested in knowing what they would have to say. To them ..... it would be the other way around - Star Tours .... been there, done that. Oh .... a ride where I get miniaturised to see the atom of a snowflake? That will be new to me!
                      Unfortunately the same thing could be said of any current attraction. People experience the attraction and it falls in the been there done that category and people want something new. Just because they want a new attraction doesn't mean that they want a new version of an old attraction.

One by one .... those attractions were met with inferior replacements - a lackluster exhibit hall to a revolving theater presentation with one of the largest future city models upstairs? A pizza joint to a trip into our solar system? A hunk a junk Observatron to a 90 foot high twirling set of jets to ride? Is a plywood shooting gallery with a cartoon space man that big of improvement over a film presentation that literally surrounds you? Is a Skyway better that than Nowhereway? Is an empty Peoplemover track better empty?

Bring on the retro land PLEASE!
                      I would be very surprised that most Disneyland visitors would prefer to bring back ATIS over a brand new attraction and uses modern technology. I could see using the concept of ATIS with an updated story and ride experience, but bringing it back in its original form sounds regressive. The only exception I see to this is to the Peoplemover, which is great because of its simplicity. I see it as the Tomorrowland version of Mark Twain. It doesn't need elaborate effects or story. Just get nice elevated views of the land.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
                        I would be very surprised that most Disneyland visitors would prefer to bring back ATIS over a brand new attraction and uses modern technology. I could see using the concept of ATIS with an updated story and ride experience, but bringing it back in its original form sounds regressive. The only exception I see to this is to the Peoplemover, which is great because of its simplicity. I see it as the Tomorrowland version of Mark Twain. It doesn't need elaborate effects or story. Just get nice elevated views of the land.
                        I may sound like a broken record with this topic, but I don’t think that ATIS (or some of the other older concepts) would resonate with modern guests the way it did back in its prime; even if it was updated with modern tech. This is coming from someone who has ridden ATIS back in the day and did enjoy it. I’ve used this other example before as well, but Body Wars at Epcot was the spiritual successor to ATIS. It updated the idea with modern tech and story (using the motion simulators from Star Tours if you aren’t familiar), but it just didn’t resonate with me and I suspect others as well which is why it was retired.

Technology and futurism have a very different place in today’s culture vs. 1967 when the promise of technology was infinite and our optimism around it showed no bounds. Tomorrowland was meant to represent the distant future of 1986, and as we all know, 1986 ended up looking nothing like the vision Presented in Tomorrowland.

The fantasy of the future is much more interesting and enjoyable than the reality of it, which is why I’ve been in favor of a Tomorrowland that isn’t based so much in realistic expectations of the future, but instead in the fantastical yet unlikely fictional representations of the future.

Star Tours and Space Mountain are symbols of staying power in Tomorrowland. Both are as popular if not more so than when they first opened, and have distant space travel as their main story function. If we took that theme further, making Tomorrowland into a Futuristic spaceport with the TL 67 look at its core, it opens up doors to ideas that I think would show longevity. Some classic attractions could still fit into this direction. Restoring The Peoplemover (possibly with some design/story changes) and restoring the Rocket Jets to their place above it I believe would fit quite nicely. Even the Subs and the Monorail would continue to fit into the theme well since transportation would once again be a key story point throughout the land.

The biggest changes for my idea would be the removal of the old rotating theater, to be replaced with something that would take better advantage of the space and theme, and retiring Buzz to be replaced with something else as well. Possibly another Omnimover based attraction.

Focusing Tomorrowland into a place where you are transported to far away amazing places, which are nowhere in the realm of current or perceived future tech, would give it a solid concept, and one that could finally pass the test of time that has been so problematic there for so long.
                        Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                        Walt Disney World
                        Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

Technology and futurism have a very different place in today’s culture vs. 1967 when the promise of technology was infinite and our optimism around it showed no bounds. ... The fantasy of the future is much more interesting and enjoyable than the reality of it, which is why I’ve been in favor of a Tomorrowland that isn’t based so much in realistic expectations of the future, but instead in the fantastical yet unlikely fictional representations of the future. ... Focusing Tomorrowland into a place where you are transported to far away amazing places, which are nowhere in the realm of current or perceived future tech, would give it a solid concept, and one that could finally pass the test of time that has been so problematic there for so long.
                          Well said!

The most enduring and beloved-as-ever attraction in Tomorrowland, Space Mountain, is not about a specific, realistic technology - it's an abstract representation of the promise and excitement of space travel. That's why it's as relevant today as it was in 1977.

If the rest of Tomorrowland followed Space Mountain's framework, it could remain an incredibly exciting and inspiring place... for a long time to come.

Comment

I don’t think anyone needs to worry about such ancient old irrelevant prehistoric relics from coming back. Has Disney ever shown any interest in reviving old attractions? So stop worrying about it.
                            MY SIGNATURE:
                            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

I agree with this, but with a little tweak.
                              The big thing, IMHO, that Tomorrowland is lacking is that it doesn’t feel like a lived-in community. All of the other lands have the impression that these are places where people live. You can see it in the second-story windows on Main Street, and New Orleans Square, with music and even dialogue coming out. The little animal houses in Critter Country. Frontierland is made specifically to look like a western town, complete with saloon, and so on. Tomorrowland comes off as little more than a collection of rides loosely connected by a science-fictionIsh theme.

If I could make it happen, I’d make it look like a futuristic city where people LIVED. I would take the aesthetic of the 67 Tomorrowland, and maybe add a little bit of “The Jetsons” and “Meet the Robinsons” for some whimsy.

I would put in a People Mover, but this version would show guests a tour of the “real Tomorrowland community,” utilizing animatronic scenes of people’s homes and work, making parts of it almost like a dark ride.

An Autopia-type attraction could have futuristic style vehicles that went through scenes of futuristic architecture, robots, etc.

Put Astro Orbiter up high, but the structure could look like a futuristic building, representing the land’s “City Hall.”

The upper levels of the land could have windows where guests can see inside the “apartments” of the residents. Maybe even an animatronic character or two like the snowman that used to be on the roof in Fantasyland.

The city’s entertainment district could be represented by an animatronic show in the vein of Country Bears or Tiki Room, but with a futuristic theme to it. I’m pretty sure Disney already played around with this idea before.

And while I’m spouting off, they could add a couple of attractions that are not copies of attractions from other Disney parks, and aren’t some type of roller coaster. They can be a little bit creative!

Anyway, you get the idea.
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I don’t think anyone needs to worry about such ancient old irrelevant prehistoric relics from coming back. Has Disney ever shown any interest in reviving old attractions? So stop worrying about it.
                                You’re mostly right. It is unlikely. The removal of the French fries and the restoration of some TL 67 design elements at the entrance to TL, definitely got us all wondering what could be next. I for one believe that more of these design elements will slowly creep back into the land.

We each have a ‘perfect’ version of TL in our heads that would fit our individual ideas. We may not all agree on what that is, but we do all agree that what it became is not as good as what it was. It’s easy to see all the effort that has gone into the other lands while TL has remained in a semi-permenant stalled state. Oh to be a fly on the wall during WDI meetings around TL and to understand why progress hasn’t been faster.

Disney knows it has a problem with TL. I believe that means that anything is on the table for what to do about it, even reviving older attractions and concepts in new ways. Time will tell, but I choose to remain optimistic.
                                Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                                Walt Disney World
                                Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

...We each have a ‘perfect’ version of TL in our heads that would fit our individual ideas. We may not all agree on what that is, but we do all agree that what it became is not as good as what it was. It’s easy to see all the effort that has gone into the other lands while TL has remained in a semi-permenant stalled state. Oh to be a fly on the wall during WDI meetings around TL and to understand why progress hasn’t been faster.

Disney knows it has a problem with TL. I believe that means that anything is on the table for what to do about it, even reviving older attractions and concepts in new ways. Time will tell, but I choose to remain optimistic.
                                  Sadly, the reason progress hasn't been faster is that for generations of Disney Parks' top management, the current Tomorrowland is not defined as a problem: It doesn't prevent DLR from being packed with return customers and it doesn't hurt profits.

It's a problem for Disneyland connoisseurs -- but they're a tiny minority of the customer base. The number of them who don't return because of a shabby Tomorrowland is even tinier, and those are easily replaceable. And it's a problem for WDI creatives -- but they're an even tinier minority, and are just as replaceable.
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

I've said before that the problem with TL is that in today's world 'tomorrow' rapidly becomes 'yesterday'. Technology and exploration just moves too fast for TL to keep up with it. "Back in my day" (my kids HATE that phrase lol) the amount of time between a scientific or technological concept and it's actual 'debut' as reality for the general population would be years. Now, it's months. Disney can't complete with that.

The only concept for TL that would stay 'tomorrow' for more than a handful of years would be space colonization. SM would fit in because it's a 'space ride'. But ST and Buzz would need to go. I can see some type of dark ride taking you inside a space colony and scenes of life on a different planet. And maybe a new version of 'Rocket to Mars' highlighting the journey. But that's as far as my limited imagineering takes me.
                                    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                                      The big thing, IMHO, that Tomorrowland is lacking is that it doesn’t feel like a lived-in community. All of the other lands have the impression that these are places where people live.
                                      This is a good observation. I would amend it slightly to say "live and work." The old Tomorrowland had a sense of people living their lives in optimism, and with it there was a sense that the "people" working there were creating that brighter future. Think Mission to Mars, ATIS, even the old version of the Rocket Jets, which felt more like a "mission" because you had to board it by going up the launchpad elevator. I don't think there's much like that in Tomorrowland now. The closest is probably the view of the control center in Space Mountain just before you turn out of the boarding area (and that's being charitable). Star Tours has a sense of people moving around in a space port -- at least when the screens in the queue are working -- but it's completely detached from anything else in the land. Restoring some cohesion to that "lived in and worked in" concept would be a positive step, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake View Post

This is a good observation. I would amend it slightly to say "live and work." The old Tomorrowland had a sense of people living their lives in optimism, and with it there was a sense that the "people" working there were creating that brighter future. Think Mission to Mars, ATIS, even the old version of the Rocket Jets, which felt more like a "mission" because you had to board it by going up the launchpad elevator. I don't think there's much like that in Tomorrowland now. The closest is probably the view of the control center in Space Mountain just before you turn out of the boarding area (and that's being charitable). Star Tours has a sense of people moving around in a space port -- at least when the screens in the queue are working -- but it's completely detached from anything else in the land. Restoring some cohesion to that "lived in and worked in" concept would be a positive step, I think.
                                        This is a very important point. The other lands all feel like communities in a sense. Even Fantasyland, which I would say has the worst of it after Tomorrowland, at least looks convincingly like an old European village enclosed within castle walls. Tomorrowland has neither architectural cohesion nor thematic cohesion between its attractions.

I think the best thing to do for Tomorrowland would be to redesign it from the ground up as a whimsical "city of the future"...the arbitrarily far future. Don't try to anticipate real-world developments, just imagine what the world could be like if science-fiction came true. Maybe we'd make contact with aliens. Maybe we'd colonize other planets. Maybe we'd conduct all our business in VR cyberspace. Maybe we'd invent superpowers. It offers room to play with science-fiction concepts--and hence IP that explore those concepts--without trying to tie everything to a real end-date that will inevitably disappoint.
                                        Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X