Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toon Town

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Toon Town

    Hey everyone! I just had a thought... with Mickey's Runaway Railway being the hit it is and coming to Disneyland's toon town, I'm curious if this will affect the land as a whole. More people are going to be making the trek to the back of the park with it's new E-ticket, I don't think it's out of the question that the land may be receiving some TLC it never got before.

    If you agree, what do you think they'd do? I think it would be in Disney's best interest to plus the houses up a bit. They used to be pretty fun and interactive, but now they're pretty lame, even for kids. Maybe adding some technology/ interactivity/ little games? I think Toon Town is a really creative and charming land, but it has the potential to be something really fun when this new ride comes in. Thoughts?

  • #2
    I would hope that at the very least they freshen the paint on everything including the background skyscape which has been faded for a while. This is definately the time to get everything fixed and freshened. Donald's boat and Chip & Dales treehouse need SOMETHING done with them or rip them out and put in something better.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
      I would hope that at the very least they freshen the paint on everything including the background skyscape which has been faded for a while. This is definately the time to get everything fixed and freshened. Donald's boat and Chip & Dales treehouse need SOMETHING done with them or rip them out and put in something better.
      Agree
      almost a New Toon Town ,a New fresh look .
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

      Comment


      • #4
        I think they need some real food in there. What is there is quite sad.
        "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
          I think they need some real food in there. What is there is quite sad.
          Good Point -I agree.......
          little windows place's......not my desire places to eat .....
          • Daisy's Diner
          • Pluto's Dog House
          • Clarabelle's Frozen Yogurt
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

          Comment


          • #6
            What I'd like to see

            Ducktales themed Restaurant
            Donald Duck themed Coaster (use toon park as the entrance and have the Q go on the side of Goofy's house and into Donald's Boat, which will also be the loading station)
            Basically make this coaster a longer version of what we have now, but add a few fun things like going behind water fall and some toon caves and one inside section with a Donald animatroic housed in the area that used to be the loading station for Gadgets coaster
            Make Goofy's house into paint and play like in Japan
            Lastly have Roger walking around
            Happy Halloween!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              I haven't been to TT in years. Since my sons are grown, there's no real reason for me to go. I think the MMRR is really going to bring a lot of people to that corner of the park.

              TBH, if there were more trees back there I'd probably go for RRCS, but that whole land just gets too hot.
              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                I haven't been to TT in years. Since my sons are grown, there's no real reason for me to go. I think the MMRR is really going to bring a lot of people to that corner of the park.

                TBH, if there were more trees back there I'd probably go for RRCS, but that whole land just gets too hot.
                Truth. I'm looking forward to Runaway Railway as a reason to go back. I don't really go on Roger Rabbit because the line always feels like its longer than its worth. I know that some people love it, but I've never found the spinning to be fast enough to make it fun. I get going around a lot faster in the Tea Cups.

                Comment


                • #9
                  We only go on Roger Rabbit if we can get a maxpass. The wait is long, hot, and stinky otherwise.
                  "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                    We only go on Roger Rabbit if we can get a maxpass. The wait is long, hot, and stinky otherwise.
                    It’s one of my favorite queues so I’m ok with the standby line when the wait isn’t too crazy. The walk through the dark back alleys of Toon Town is done really well and has lots of cool moments from WFRR.

                    The rest of TT looks cool, but is too focused on younger kids to do much other than a short walk around in. I’d love to see Ratchet’s Go Coaster replaced or at least rethemed with something like Goofy’s Sky School which would be better for the land than the last remaining obscure Disney Afternoon reference in the park.
                    Mike_M

                    Disneyland Trips
                    Walt Disney World
                    Disneyland Paris

                    1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                    1990, 1992, 1993

                    2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                    2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019
                    2020

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I see a lot of comments in this thread about the land being hot, and I completely agree. I always end up in TT on my trips because I like meeting Mickey at his house, and my younger cousin who tags along sometimes really likes the Go-Coaster. I occasionally go on RRCS, but I usually just end up waiting in the line and waiting for my family at the exit because I get spin sick. I usually have to take my younger family members alone or just go by myself, because my older family members see it as a hot, sticky kiddie land with nothing to do. in this regard, I can only compare the land to Bug's Land in the sense that, while it was a kiddie land, it's play areas were shaded with places to sit and more rides the parents could enjoy as well. I think this is the main reason this land needs some love, because for a park who's mission statement is parents and kids having fun together, this land seems completely excluded from this atmosphere. While adults can't fit into the children's play areas, there's nowhere shady or comfy to sit in the hot California sun. The example that comes to mind is Chip n' Dale's house, where you're basically sitting on hot, green asphalt while your kid spends two minutes in a house they're not enjoying either. While Donald's house has some shady space, that seems to be the exception. More trees and Shade in general would really boost land attendance, and keep me from having to babysit.

                      Sun Bonnet , You're 10000% Correct. The food needs a plus. I kind of like the vibe of the cute little stands that feature some characters used less in the land, but the food is very middle of the road, and again, nowhere to eat it but in the sun. I think this land could really benefit from a little indoor quick-service restaurant that serves food that little kids can eat, but also has that Disney quality. Kinda like Andy's Lunch Box and their Grilled Cheese (which I made at home btw, yum!!!) A bit of Armchair imagineering, this is an idea I've had since I was a kid, but I always thought it would be really cool to have a real life House of Mouse. It can be as in depth as you want, but basically, they play Mickey mouse shorts for you while you eat. Easy as that. Maybe even have some character dining in their too. Just a fun, indoor place to eat, that's unique enough to make the land special.

                      JerrodDRagon I really like this idea! Especially with the new cartoon bringing a lot of old Disney Afternoon characters back for new fans. I hear Gadget and the rescue rangers are going to appear in the show anyways, so a Ducktales coaster wouldn't even have to say goodbye to those characters. I think the Go-Coaster is in need of a re-theme, because while it's a great kiddie coaster the little kids love, it lacks good attendance numbers, and the strong Disney theming. Even just adding a little tunnel sequence like the mine train to make it unique and more enjoyable for older people would do wonders. Also yes please on the paint and play! There NEEDS to be more stuff to do in the houses, the kids are getting bored!!!

                      I'd also like to mention that I feel like the land has lost some of it's magic from over the years. There used to be so many little hidden details and moving parts that have been shut off. I think this is one of the main selling points of the land, because it's fun for kids to run around and find the fun play things, and it adds this hint of life and exploration (and from what we've seen from SWGE, that sells!) that the land now lacks. Just little things like the crank on the Go-Coaster, the Button's on Donald's boat, and the water fountains no longer making goofy noises made it loose a little something. When I took my boyfriend down in November (he had never been to DLR), I was intent in showing him everything. We ended up spending the least time in TT, because after riding the rides and having a lot of fun messing around in the "Town" area (pulling on the scary door, the post office, setting of the fireworks) there was really nothing to do. Which, for a land that's about to get more foot traffic, shouldn't be the case. Also, the gift shop sucks.

                      Wow, this post got long. If you couldn't tell, arm chair imagineering and thinking on how to fix TT are two of my favorite pastimes , sorry if this rant took up too much of your time! Any thoughts?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think the #1 thing they have to do ASAP is fix the terrible sightlines from TT to GE.

                        The exposed steel behind GE rockwork is clearly visible from several parts of TT. That's well below Disney standards, and especially unacceptable for a land that going to be the center of attention soon.

                        It's an easy fix, too: Simply add some cartoon "trees"/"hills" to the area behind Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse, and it's mostly problem-solved.

                        EDIT: For reference, here is an image from bioreconstruct on Twitter, but IMO it looks even worse in person: https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/s...826752/photo/1
                        Last edited by md6379a; 08-19-2020, 11:46 AM. Reason: to add an image

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by md6379a View Post
                          EDIT: For reference, here is an image from bioreconstruct on Twitter, but IMO it looks even worse in person: https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/s...826752/photo/1
                          Yikes! That's hideously bad show.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think Roger Rabbit will get rethemed eventually, as RR is no longer in the public eye. Zootopia themed?

                            They could remove all of the counter service windows and replace it with 1 indoor/outdoor counter service eatery.

                            The land can be redeveloped to allow a toon version of Fantasy Faire(AKA Goofy, Pluto, Donald & Daisy), with the characters being animated', instead of stoic.

                            Play areas get upgrade with new tech. Motion controls, projections, etc.

                            DO SOMETHING WITH JOLLY TROLLEY TRACK. To this day, I still don't understand why it was shut down, even though the Main Street Trolley and Buena Vista Trolley are still in the park.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

                              DO SOMETHING WITH JOLLY TROLLEY TRACK. To this day, I still don't understand why it was shut down, even though the Main Street Trolley and Buena Vista Trolley are still in the park.
                              imo
                              JOLLY TROLLEY was a joke ,,,,,,,,
                              =less get rid of the track=

                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                ...DO SOMETHING WITH JOLLY TROLLEY TRACK. To this day, I still don't understand why it was shut down, even though the Main Street Trolley and Buena Vista Trolley are still in the park.
                                I seem to recall an article years ago on MiceChat (might have been an Al Lutz piece) that Disney Legal decided it was too dangerous with all the small kids running around -- parents viewed the land as a playground and let their kids run around unsupervised.

                                EDIT: I can't find Al's article, but here's a thread from 2010 about the defunct Jolly Trolly.

                                And a thread from 2005: "Toontown: What a Sad Land."
                                Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-19-2020, 09:42 PM.
                                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

                                - Walt Disney

                                "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

                                "It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

                                  Truth. I'm looking forward to Runaway Railway as a reason to go back. I don't really go on Roger Rabbit because the line always feels like its longer than its worth. I know that some people love it, but I've never found the spinning to be fast enough to make it fun. I get going around a lot faster in the Tea Cups.
                                  Well, I get motion sickness so no spinning for me!!! And I agree about the ride not being worth the wait.
                                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Toon Town definitely needs some love and I am pretty hopeful Mickey's Runaway Railway will help see that come true. I miss when the Jolly Trolley was still running as that added a lot more interaction and ambiance to the area. Also, like others mentioned, TT really needs a proper sit-down or quick service restaurant. Though I am concerned about that since Disney management felt Galaxy's Edge didn't need one and we know that was a mistake. More areas to escape the heat and intense sun on summer days would also be very welcome in TT. I think the footprint is certainly there to build upon and turn it into something really worthwhile that will make people want to visit and re-visit. Roger Rabbit is the best part of Toon Town right now and is sort of underrated and overlooked IMO because the rest of the land is sort of not worth the time for most people. But I think MMRR will help alleviate that issue over time once it opens.

                                    I think the 2 areas of DL that need the most attention are Tomorrowland and then Toon Town. TT seems to finally be getting some, hopefully TL will in the next 10 years as well.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                                      I seem to recall an article years ago on MiceChat (might have been an Al Lutz piece) that Disney Legal decided it was too dangerous with all the small kids running around -- parents viewed the land as a playground and let their kids run around unsupervised.
                                      This I guess is what always makes TT a mostly avoidable area for me. Most of Tom Sawyer Island could be considered a playground too, but it’s still something that can appeal to kids and adults. TT has lacked a universal appeal since its debut. RRCS (which I love and rarely skip) is truly the only reason I even step foot in TT since my kids got older. It’s the only place in DL where I can say the Eastern half is better than the Western Half.

                                      Finding Universal Appeal in this land is getting more important if you ask me. I see more and more individual adults and childless couples in the park than ever before. For this land to not go the way of A Bugs Land, they not only need to have rides that appeal to older kids and adults, (M&MRR is a good step in this direction), but they need to modify the neighborhood houses to have something we can all enjoy as well. Add some shaded rest areas, an indoor dining room at a minimum, and perhaps even something more adult like the Ink and Paint Club from WFRR. The land was after all based on a pretty adult vision of TT.

                                      I guess what I’m saying is that I’d love to have it be another place that brings out the kid in me, rather than point out that I’m too old for a majority of the attractions there.
                                      Mike_M

                                      Disneyland Trips
                                      Walt Disney World
                                      Disneyland Paris

                                      1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                                      1990, 1992, 1993

                                      2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                                      2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019
                                      2020

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
                                        This I guess is what always makes TT a mostly avoidable area for me. Most of Tom Sawyer Island could be considered a playground too, but it’s still something that can appeal to kids and adults. TT has lacked a universal appeal since its debut. RRCS (which I love and rarely skip) is truly the only reason I even step foot in TT since my kids got older. It’s the only place in DL where I can say the Eastern half is better than the Western Half.

                                        Finding Universal Appeal in this land is getting more important if you ask me. I see more and more individual adults and childless couples in the park than ever before. For this land to not go the way of A Bugs Land, they not only need to have rides that appeal to older kids and adults, (M&MRR is a good step in this direction), but they need to modify the neighborhood houses to have something we can all enjoy as well. Add some shaded rest areas, an indoor dining room at a minimum, and perhaps even something more adult like the Ink and Paint Club from WFRR. The land was after all based on a pretty adult vision of TT.

                                        I guess what I’m saying is that I’d love to have it be another place that brings out the kid in me, rather than point out that I’m too old for a majority of the attractions there.
                                        Man oh man is that ever spot-on! WDI tried to make Toontown as charming as possible, but could not (and dared not) dodge the core reason for its existence, which was kiddie-demographic marketing. Toontown came from the same set of Michael marching orders that gave birth to Disney TV Animation, dumbed-down the Pooh franchise from a general-audience brand to kiddies, trashed the approach to Small World with the embarrassing "Disney Afternoon Avenue" event, littered the Motorboat Cruise with bad plywood cutouts of the Gummi Bears for the "Gummi Glen" overlay, and later turned the general-audience Bug's Life brand into kiddieland.

                                        All of it was the result of Michael flaunting his "I Know Better Than Walt; Kartoons are for Kiddies" executive ego, as a former head of ABC Children's programming. And if you wanted to stay around, you did not contradict Michael and his Suit Brigade by quoting Walt.


                                        "You're dead if you aim only for kids.
                                        Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

                                        - Walt Disney

                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

                                        - Walt Disney

                                        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

                                        "It's very symbiotic."
                                        - Bob Chapek

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X