Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reddit user recreates Soarin' Over California in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jedi Stitch
    replied
    I so miss the original and that was so Awesome ..it didn't help..... made me want it more

Leave a comment:

• GwenRowan
    replied
    soaring over california... was the best!
    I wanted to see it while it was back in the park...

that is marvelous!

both the music and "soaring" were wonderfully evocative in a way "world" did not attain...

thank you, it was wonderful video... I swear, I could smell the ocean at that segment
    Last edited by GwenRowan; 09-18-2020, 07:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mrmeseeks
    replied
    Vr recreation in playstation program dreams as well. https://youtu.be/DV28ImE-J98

Leave a comment:

• AhpalovestheDuck
    replied
    Thank you for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• Magic1
    replied
    Lovely! New but nostalgic at the same time. Thanks, Fog!

I particularly enjoyed anticipating what was coming next and then being surprised by the compromises (e.g. passenger jet instead of fighter jet, small plane for hang glider, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    love - Soarin' Over California

make me feel and soar like a EAGLE !

Leave a comment:

• TikiTime
    replied
    Boredom + dedication + nostalgia can produce some damn fine things. Thanks for sharing this, Fog.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyWorld
    replied
    I have always loved the original version of Soarin’. I get very nostalgic when I think back on the early days of the park. I still miss those big, iconic letters spread out in front. Behind them, palm trees and the largest ceramic mural in the world. Peaking out behind the turnstiles, a replica of the Golden Gate Bridge. C A L I F O R N I A. It felt like an adventure awaited you. Like in Marry Poppins but instead of a chalk drawing, you were walking into a post card. I thought the theming was brilliant. I could understand why people found it to be a little redundant, being in the state of California and all. But as a visitor from the state of Arizona, it didn’t bother me one bit. I loved it. When we would go to Disneyland, we only had a few days and didn’t get to see much of the rest of the state. Going to the park felt like getting a condensed, idealized version of California. If anything, it made me want to see more of California. That’s what made Soarin’ so special to me. It was like a magic carpet ride around the state but it felt real. Tangible in a weird, technological kind of way. My senses enthralled with smells of oranges and pine. Wind in my face. Slight movements syncing up with the mammoth screen in front of me. It felt like magic. A breakthrough in Disney tech. When it came to the retheming of Condor Flats into Grizzly Peak Airfield I was mostly happy with how it turned out. I followed that project so closely. I can still remember the excitement on here and on Twitter when the pine trees started arriving in wooden boxes. Those were the days when Mint Crocodile would post weekly updates. Between those and Dateline Disneyland, I remember being so excited for Soarin’ Over The World. With all the money, time and imagination that was put into the project, I think I let my expectations get a little too high. I was looking for realism and I was left underwhelmed. The excessive CGI (computer generated imagery) took away from the magic of it all for me. It felt overproduced and lacked the charm of the original. I thought that between higher film resolution and new film projectors, the experience would be heightened. The format doesn’t lend itself well to the architecture they chose to showcase. The first time I saw it the angle I was at made the warping extremely noticeable. That’s not to say the new film didn’t have its moments. It just wasn’t as good as the original. I was lucky enough to visit the park in 2001 when it opened and for me and my dad, Soarin' was easily the biggest takeaway from those early days of the park. When the film and effects were new the illusion was magic. The film just degraded over the years and I guess it was very expensive to replace them so they didn’t do it often and it showed. Several years back when they switched to digital I was pretty impressed with the quality compared to what it had been. I would have loved for them to refilm the original for the upcoming 20th anniversary of DCA. With all the technology available now (drones and so forth) it doesn't seem like it would cost very much. We're only a few months away from the anniversary so I know that's unrealistic but I hope they do something before the 25th anniversary.

Leave a comment:

• MrGoat
    replied
    Wow! Goosebumps, my eyes are even welling up. I had no idea how much I missed this! Thanks for sharing it, Fog.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Andy
    replied
    I can smell the orange groves! Thank you so much for this, Fog. <3

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Goosebump time!

Leave a comment:

• Karalora
    replied
    Absolutely delightful! People recreating theme park experiences using pre-existing assets (video games, LEGOs, etc.) is always impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied
    OMG, that is just too cool! Actually brought a lump to my throat. But a big smile to my face, so it's OK.

Leave a comment:

• Patty Paulson
    replied
    Thank you. This was really needed now. Bless you, Fog.

Leave a comment:

• Jar.Jar.Abrams
    replied
    Good find. That was very enjoyable. Brought back some good memories. Thanks 👍

Leave a comment:

• Reddit user recreates Soarin' Over California in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

I just came across this on the Disneyland Reddit forum and had to share it here for all of you.

Reddit user "FoxyBaker" uploaded this video yesterday of their recreation of the ride video for Soarin' Over California using the recently released Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 video game.

I don't know if it was the music or seeing the scenery (or both) but I got the feels watching the video and a bit teary eyed.

Please enjoy.

Soarin' Over California Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X