Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Under -rated IPs

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by mraymond View Post

    you hear "pull the lever, kronk" at the top of the lift hill. As you descend you here "wrong leveeeeeer"
    yes please!

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Kikdenn View Post
      Humphrey the Bear is a family favorite! We think Humphrey and the Park Ranger would be great additions to Grizzly River Run. It would bring some animatronic life and humor to the ride. GRR, feels “off the shelf” to us in its current state. We’ve ridden very similar raft rides at different amusement parks over the years. Some Humphrey humor would really elevate this attraction to something special.
      I also think we should find a little spot, even if it's just a meet and greet, for Bongo the bear. One of my favorite Disney bears!

      Comment


      • #23
        Is it possible to just draw some inspiration from past Disney IP? Pieces and parts of Silly Symphonies? Or come up with an original idea that would BECOME an IP? Like Pirates of the Caribbean? I say let's go in the opposite direction make the "It's a Small World" movie. Or "The Enchanted Tiki Room" movie! My idea for the Mary Poppins ride is finally coming true (although shelved for the time being) after being told that it was "a dead property" over 30 years ago- these things take time. A 101 Dalmatians ride would also suit me just fine. Lots of cute puppies, dogs, a crazy villain, scenes of London...

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Bubu View Post
          Is it possible . A 101 Dalmatians ride would also suit me just fine. Lots of cute puppies, dogs, a crazy villain, scenes of London...

          101 Dalmatians ride
          Possible ,
          Seeing Black "SPOT's" - coming off that Attraction....
          I sure do ,watching that movie
          ............ LL............

          Soaring like an EAGLE !

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Bubu View Post
            Is it possible to just draw some inspiration from past Disney IP? Pieces and parts of Silly Symphonies? Or come up with an original idea that would BECOME an IP? Like Pirates of the Caribbean? I say let's go in the opposite direction make the "It's a Small World" movie. Or "The Enchanted Tiki Room" movie! My idea for the Mary Poppins ride is finally coming true (although shelved for the time being) after being told that it was "a dead property" over 30 years ago- these things take time. A 101 Dalmatians ride would also suit me just fine. Lots of cute puppies, dogs, a crazy villain, scenes of London...
            Ah, I'd love a Dalmatians ride!!! I also think a small world movie could be cute- maybe like "Around the World in 80 days?"

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Kikdenn View Post
              Humphrey the Bear
              is a family favorite! We think Humphrey and the Park Ranger would be great additions to Grizzly River Run.
              That a Bingo in my book !

              Soaring like an EAGLE !

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

                That a Bingo in my book !
                Ditto!

                Humphrey the Bear & J. Audubon Woodlore: "In the Bag" (1956)

                Jack Hannah's direction and George Bruns' music at their classic Disney shorts best! (And of historical note, BG layouts were by Yale Gracey, who would later become one of the top Gen-1 Imagineers.)
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

                - Walt Disney

                "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

                "It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                  I don't know about rides, I'd have to think about it, but I had always wanted a Lady and the Tramp themed pasta house that served spaghetti and meatballs.
                  Since the early '90s, WDW's MK has had Tony's Town Square Cafe on Main St., which is all themed to Lady & the Tramp. Food is not very good, but it is fun to do at least once. I used to like their breakfast there in the '90s.


                  For me, I would say the two IPs that really would be great to see utilized more in the parks would be Bambi (maybe in Critter Country) and Robin Hood. Robin Hood is my favorite Disney animated cartoon and I wish it was featured somewhere in the parks more prominently. Still find it hard to believe Bambi has never really had much presence in the parks save for Thumper and Flower walking around as characters to meet & greet.

                  The Black Cauldron would be fun to see too, though I know it's not popular at all in the slightest. Speaking of the Black Cauldron, the MK in WDW has a small walk-up snack spot in Fantasy Land called Friar's Nook. It was originally called Lancer's Inn, but was re-themed to the Black Cauldron and called Gurgi's Munchies & Crunchies in 1986. However, that only lasted about 6 years and it eventually was re-themed again to Beauty & the Beast as Lumiere's Kitchen in early '93. Then there was Tokyo Disneyland's Castle Mystery Tour which unfortunately closed about 15 years ago, too.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                    Ditto!

                    Humphrey the Bear & J. Audubon Woodlore: "In the Bag" (1956)

                    Jack Hannah's direction and George Bruns' music at their classic Disney shorts best! (And of historical note, BG layouts were by Yale Gracey, who would later become one of the top Gen-1 Imagineers.)

                    Good info
                    I enjoy our National Park and State PARKS
                    Just another subject - long with History, that I get into .
                    So it's a little MIX of Parks and Disney
                    with theHumphrey the Bear
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

                    Comment


                    • #31
                      I wholeheartedly agree about Treasure Planet, one of the few Disney IPs that would actually make sense in Tomorrowland (Star Wars, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, and Tron, delightful as they may be, are clearly not set in the future).

                      I'll second the call for a Robin Hood attraction in Fantasyland (yes, it's often referred to as "sticks and stones" animation, which essentially means that its setting is too indistinct to base an attraction on, but I want it anyway). I'd also like to see more of a Pocahontas presence (Frontierland, perhaps).

                      But what I'd like most is some smaller attractions representing the anthology films from the 1940s. Bumble Boogie would fit nicely in either New Orleans Square or Fantasyland (interesting fact: no merchandise has ever been made featuring Bumble the bee, which is a shame, because he's adorable). Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet, while perhaps not enough to justify a ride, could easily be featured on Main Street somehow. And I wouldn't mind the addition of a singing animatronic Willie the Whale to the Main Street Opera House.

                      Comment


                      • #32
                        Part of the problem I have with questions like this is that what makes for an enjoyable (and perhaps underrated) movie is not necessarily the same thing that makes for a good theme park attraction. Especially since the start of the Disney Renaissance, the movies tend to be all about fascinating characters, whereas the best rides are about settings or experiences, because the "characters" that really matter are the guests. There needs to be a sense of participation for the guests, and rides that just try to replicate the major beats of a film in third-person perspective (because look! It's your favorite characters!) aren't going to provide that.
                        Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

                        Comment


                        • #33
                          Originally posted by Karalora View Post
                          Part of the problem I have with questions like this is that what makes for an enjoyable (and perhaps underrated) movie is not necessarily the same thing that makes for a good theme park attraction. Especially since the start of the Disney Renaissance, the movies tend to be all about fascinating characters, whereas the best rides are about settings or experiences, because the "characters" that really matter are the guests. There needs to be a sense of participation for the guests, and rides that just try to replicate the major beats of a film in third-person perspective (because look! It's your favorite characters!) aren't going to provide that.
                          Spot on. That's why Fantasyland's original dark rides deliberately did not include Cinderella, even though it was the Studio's biggest hit in the decade before the opening of Disneyland. The first dark ride to be added after the Park opened was Alice in Wonderland, based on a film that was an under-performer at the box office. During the first 30 years of Disneyland's history, Imagineers followed Walt's philosophy that theme park attractions are an entirely different medium from film, and that IP adaptations must be done accordingly.
                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

                          - Walt Disney

                          "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

                          "It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

                          Comment


                          • #34
                            Originally posted by Karalora View Post
                            Part of the problem I have with questions like this is that what makes for an enjoyable (and perhaps underrated) movie is not necessarily the same thing that makes for a good theme park attraction. Especially since the start of the Disney Renaissance, the movies tend to be all about fascinating characters, whereas the best rides are about settings or experiences, because the "characters" that really matter are the guests. There needs to be a sense of participation for the guests, and rides that just try to replicate the major beats of a film in third-person perspective (because look! It's your favorite characters!) aren't going to provide that.
                            So true. I think you talked about the Little Mermaid ride in another thread? I loved the movie. I must have watched it every day for close to a year after getting the VHS tape. But the ride... the best part is going underwater. I don't want to see Ariel in every room. I grew up on the Snow White ride and am used to being in the lead character's footsteps.It would be so much more fun to experience Flotsam and Jetsum upsetting our boat along the river than watching the kiss scene.
                            "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

                            Comment


                            • #35
                              Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	C7A41CFB-5888-4CA7-80B4-624F1904A685.jpeg
Views:	505
Size:	976.6 KB
ID:	8625873
                              While not AA, Humphrey was there for a short time a couple years ago.
                              I can't even look at his face without laughing. Classic Disney character.

                              Comment


                              • #36
                                Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

                                So true. I think you talked about the Little Mermaid ride in another thread? I loved the movie. I must have watched it every day for close to a year after getting the VHS tape. But the ride... the best part is going underwater. I don't want to see Ariel in every room. I grew up on the Snow White ride and am used to being in the lead character's footsteps.It would be so much more fun to experience Flotsam and Jetsum upsetting our boat along the river than watching the kiss scene.
                                Oh yeah...the focus on "Look! It's Ariel!" isn't the only thing wrong with that ride, but it's a big one. You never really get a chance to settle into the scenes because it's always yanking your attention to what the cute redhead is doing. I don't know that you could do Mermaid as a traditional style dark ride, because it's soooo character-driven. The undersea kingdom is potentially a fascinating setting, but the film doesn't explore it much, so while you could build a ride that did, it wouldn't feel authentic to the movie. By contrast, Alice in Wonderland is perfect dark ride material because the movie is all about Alice wandering through a weird setting. The easiest way to make a traditional dark ride out of a Disney movie is to pick one where the story is about the character(s) traveling through a cool setting.
                                Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

                                Comment


                                • #37
                                  Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                                  So true. I think you talked about the Little Mermaid ride in another thread? I loved the movie. I must have watched it every day for close to a year after getting the VHS tape. But the ride... the best part is going underwater. I don't want to see Ariel in every room. I grew up on the Snow White ride and am used to being in the lead character's footsteps.It would be so much more fun to experience Flotsam and Jetsum upsetting our boat along the river than watching the kiss scene.
                                  Bingo. Sadly, that problem was designed into the ride. Concerns about it being one straight-from-the-movie-Ariel-scene after another were posted on MiceChat when the concept art was released. The lack of audience involvement was obvious from the artwork, and confirmed when the ride opened.
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

                                  - Walt Disney

                                  "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

                                  "It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

                                  Comment


                                  • #38
                                    I'd like them to start mashing up IPs and making attractions that do this well. For example, an attraction that combines the animals from Robin Hood, Jungle Book and Lion King. Create a brand new story that pits the heroes against the villains. This has already been done for shows (Fantasmic! is probably the best example of this), but I think it could also work for a dark ride.

                                    Comment


                                    • #39
                                      Originally posted by Grand Gibson View Post
                                      I'd like them to start mashing up IPs and making attractions that do this well. For example, an attraction that combines the animals from Robin Hood, Jungle Book and Lion King. Create a brand new story that pits the heroes against the villains. This has already been done for shows (Fantasmic! is probably the best example of this), but I think it could also work for a dark ride.
                                      I thought
                                      I was only one Enjoy Robin Hood...which was done 1973
                                      and was same year, that Walt Disney Company turn 50......
                                      By looking at the other post's
                                      There was many other's did too !
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                      Comment


                                      • #40
                                        I would love to see a sequel to the Sword in the Stone that covered adult King Arthur. The Arthur legend is probably my favorite piece of fantasy mythology and recent adaptations are generally too gritty for my taste. I'm not looking for a Game of Thrones-like version. This is definitely an example of where just the right amount of Disney touch could make something really special.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X