Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bob Chapek really the "bad guy" that we envisioned him to be?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Bob Chapek really the "bad guy" that we envisioned him to be?

    Bob Chapek took over earlier this year, and in that time we have seen progressive and smart moves on his part due to the failure of Star Wars in the cinemas and the albiet amazing lands with lackluster wow factor of Smugglers run and the huge down time of Rise of the Resistance. He brought back Lucas, and even a few key producers/directors that have a huge heart for star wars.

    What are your thoughts? Was Chapek a sheep in wolf's clothing? Is he a CEO that can really bring Disney back to being a show stopping powerhouse? Was he being constrained by Iger? Do you think he may or may not be a renaissance in the making? Now, for the question of questions... What If Chapek had a huge love for the parks from the beginning of his presidency...only to be held back by the board and Iger. Time will tell, or my insanity will reighn supreme.

  • #2
    I'm usually the one with the optimist view of management, but even I am skeptical of what Chapek might try and do over the next few years.

    The Main St. Cinema experiment was very telling of where his head is...
    Mike_M

    Disneyland Trips
    Walt Disney World
    Disneyland Paris

    1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
    1990, 1992, 1993

    2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
    2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019
    2020

    Comment


    • #3
      When it comes to creativity, Bob Chapek is cancer. He really is a bad guy. Very bad.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
        When it comes to creativity, Bob Chapek is cancer. He really is a bad guy. Very bad.
        Bad Guy for Disney !
        X 2
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

        Comment


        • #5
          Kevin Purjer's Defunctland Season 27 will detail in a couple of decades the rise and fall of Bob Chapek much like Michael Eisner lol

          Total Tender Rides: 20
          Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
          Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
          Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by L4rgo1229 View Post
            ...What are your thoughts? Was Chapek a sheep in wolf's clothing? Is he a CEO that can really bring Disney back to being a show stopping powerhouse? Was he being constrained by Iger? Do you think he may or may not be a renaissance in the making? Now, for the question of questions... What If Chapek had a huge love for the parks from the beginning of his presidency...only to be held back by the board and Iger. Time will tell, or my insanity will reighn supreme.
            None of the above. Chapek is an example of corporate natural selection: His decades-long track record as a top brand-marketer/merchandiser and merciless budget-slasher made him a perfect fit for what Iger and the BoD want in a CEO.

            For anyone who wonders what Disney values in Chapek, you need look no further than his resumè and this video.
            Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-07-2020, 05:25 PM.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

            - Walt Disney

            "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

            "It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

            Comment


            • #7
              Is he morally bad? No, I don't think so. Has he allegedly* made bad decisions....well....

              If we exclude the online chatter for the moment, his principles are very similar to Iger, in regards of pushing in 'Brand'. Or in others 'Characters, Franchises, and IPs'. He also ran the merchandise sales department, so he know how 'close the sale', in a matter of speaking.

              How Chapek ran the parks...yikes. Allegedly* he has done the following:

              -Shoehorned Guardians quickly into ToT.

              -Pushed for the Pixar retheme of Paradise Pier and came up with some ideas for Pixar Pier (Including Incredicoaster's name) and cut the budget in the process.

              -Cut walk around entertainment out of Galaxy's Edge. AND cut the fine dining restaurant that was planned for Galaxy's Edge. He also went the 'cheap' route with RotR, by contracting a less expensive company to build the trackless portion of the ride...and it led to problems during construction.

              -He delayed the planned Avengers ride, at least twice, because he wasn't satisfied with the ride.

              -Promoted Rebecca Campbell to DLR president, despite not having any experience in the parks...like himself. Campbell was promoted out of the job after only 8 months, and replaced with the more 'experienced' Ken Potrock.

              -Chewed out the Imagineer over the length of their development process.

              -Pushed for more characters themed rooms or offerings at WDW hotels, by tying a franchise to each location(Incredibles for the Contemporary, Moana for the Polynesian, Beauty and the Beast for the Grand Floridian).

              How he will affect the other departments(Film, TV, publishing, etc.) is too early too tell. But it will most likely be......interesting.


              *Allegedly, because I rather not be sued for past online gossip that may or may not be true...even though it seems legitimate.
              Last edited by Spongeocto4; 09-07-2020, 06:25 PM. Reason: Posted too early

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                None of the above. Chapek is an example of corporate natural selection: His decades-long track record as a top brand-marketer/merchandiser and merciless budget-slasher made him a perfect fit for what Iger and the BoD want in a CEO.
                For anyone who wonders what Disney values in Chapek, you need look no further than his resumè and this video.


                Chapek values ,is all on the Video
                Marketer/merchandiser and merciless budget-slasher !
                I Agree

                "It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek
                Last edited by Eagleman; 09-07-2020, 08:08 PM.
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think he will be a rather horrible CEO, a lot like his two predecessors. I also think he is not the actual CEO, Iger is still in control and Chapek simply does what he is told.

                  Further, I think that when Disney goes even lower, Chapek will be the fall guy.

                  The covid is simply delaying the inevitable........

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by micromind View Post
                    I think he will be a rather horrible CEO, a lot like his two predecessors. I also think he is not the actual CEO, Iger is still in control and Chapek simply does what he is told.

                    Further, I think that when Disney goes even lower, Chapek will be the fall guy.

                    The covid is simply delaying the inevitable........
                    You got that Right..... Chapek will be the fall guy (((
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                      Is he morally bad? No, I don't think so. Has he allegedly* made bad decisions....well....

                      If we exclude the online chatter for the moment, his principles are very similar to Iger, in regards of pushing in 'Brand'. Or in others 'Characters, Franchises, and IPs'. He also ran the merchandise sales department, so he know how 'close the sale', in a matter of speaking.

                      How Chapek ran the parks...yikes. Allegedly* he has done the following:

                      -Shoehorned Guardians quickly into ToT.

                      -Pushed for the Pixar retheme of Paradise Pier and came up with some ideas for Pixar Pier (Including Incredicoaster's name) and cut the budget in the process.

                      -Cut walk around entertainment out of Galaxy's Edge. AND cut the fine dining restaurant that was planned for Galaxy's Edge. He also went the 'cheap' route with RotR, by contracting a less expensive company to build the trackless portion of the ride...and it led to problems during construction.

                      -He delayed the planned Avengers ride, at least twice, because he wasn't satisfied with the ride.

                      -Promoted Rebecca Campbell to DLR president, despite not having any experience in the parks...like himself. Campbell was promoted out of the job after only 8 months, and replaced with the more 'experienced' Ken Potrock.

                      -Chewed out the Imagineer over the length of their development process.

                      -Pushed for more characters themed rooms or offerings at WDW hotels, by tying a franchise to each location(Incredibles for the Contemporary, Moana for the Polynesian, Beauty and the Beast for the Grand Floridian).

                      How he will affect the other departments(Film, TV, publishing, etc.) is too early too tell. But it will most likely be......interesting.


                      *Allegedly, because I rather not be sued for past online gossip that may or may not be true...even though it seems legitimate.
                      Let's be honest, some of this stuff actually worked really well. Credit where credit is due:

                      Guardians retheme is great. ToT was fine for what it is, but the Guardians was well done and doesn't feel shoehorned one bit. I like when different parks have different rides.
                      Pixar Pier had some issues (done too quickly), but by and large, the retheme is great and gave some cohesiveness to a garbage land.
                      Delaying a ride because it's below expectations isn't bad is it?

                      As for the rest....yeah....lol

                      Also, I don't know where all this hotel retheme stuff is coming from. Nobody said they were retheming the hotels, but adding some level of motifs. Enchanted Rose was an expanded bar that was MUCH MUCH needed (vs a mens shop) and was well done. It has changed the rest of the GF "theme" absolutely zero. Moana motif is a good call. Lilo and Stitch has existed on the DVC side for a while and nobody's said anything. All this hoopla is silly.

                      Comment

                      Get Away Today Footer

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X