Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expect worse Rise of the Resistance reliability post shutdown

Greetings from Florida!

There was previously some wishful thinking and hopeful speculation that Disney would make use of the downtime to improve the reliability of Rise of the Resistance.

I'm sorry to disabuse you all of this notion. In fact, I was told by several Cast Members (after being rescued from the ride, the second time I'd attempted to ride it yesterday), that the reliability is worse post shutdown.

Apparently, according to these Cast Members, the ride was not being run at all during the shutdown because of the furloughs, and apparently things degraded somehow due to the inactivity. The implication being that it might take some time for things to even return to pre-shutdown levels of reliability.

We eventually did ride all the way through, on the third attempt, but this cost us a couple of hours of our day. That, with the shortened opening hours, meant that we didn't experience everything we'd hoped in the park. And the shows/streetscape weren't running, either. I know a lot of you will be dying to get back into the park ASAP and ride the big attractions, and I don't blame you, but don't expect things to go smoothly. I do somewhat regret having burned a ticket on this park for a reduced experience, but at least we were local, so it wasn't that big an investment.
    Last edited by whiteness; 09-13-2020, 04:09 PM.
    Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

I see this being part of a big problem with all the Attractions. Anyone familiar with preventative maintenance, especially with electronics and mechanical equipment, daily and weekly maintenance is a must. You can't just shut equipment down and then expect to come back six months later turn it on and expect it to be working just as it was when you left it.

In addition Attractions where water is part of the theme, that moisture wreaks havoc unless you're doing stringent preventive maintenance, not just on the electronics but even all the little cogs and wheels.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the audio animatronics in It's a Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean aren't fully functionable unless Disney has been performing their maintenance.
    Last edited by stovk; 09-13-2020, 01:17 PM.
    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
    so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
      So, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the audio animatronics in It's a Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean aren't fully functionable unless Disney has been performing their maintenance.
      As a technician, I wondered about this myself. As Disney realized the pandemic wasn't going to end in a few weeks, and might go into months, did they take preventative measures on attractions? POTC, IASM and Splash should have been drained, AC systems can be switched to higher temps but also work as dehumidifiers. A preventative maintenance schedule of limited, routine operation will keep seals and parts lubricated, etc. Did Disney do any of that?
      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
        As a technician, I wondered about this myself. As Disney realized the pandemic wasn't going to end in a few weeks, and might go into months, did they take preventative measures on attractions? POTC, IASM and Splash should have been drained, AC systems can be switched to higher temps but also work as dehumidifiers. A preventative maintenance schedule of limited, routine operation will keep seals and parts lubricated, etc. Did Disney do any of that?
        It would be amazing if Maintenance didn't recommend it. But did management greenlight the funds?
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

It would be amazing if Maintenance didn't recommend it. But did management greenlight the funds?
          You can bet that Maintenance highly recommended it but since Disney management has absolutely no clue about anything electronic or mechanical, you can also bet they figured that once shut down, all rides would simply start back up again with no issues........

As noted above, complex machinery does not do well being idled. Not well at all........

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post

As noted above, complex machinery does not do well being idled. Not well at all........
            You Got That Right !
            Just Items in your home......That does not get use all year............
            Machinery does not do well being idled.
            There going a lots of Issue ,on the rides and attraction in the park !
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

This is one of the reasons that I won’t be heading back to the park right away, even after we have a vaccine.

I love the park, but if I’m going to be spending time and money on a trip, I’m only going to do it once they get past the re-opening bugs.
              Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
              Walt Disney World
              Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
              1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
              2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

And then we have this News today:

Disney World's Splash Mountain evacuated after ride breaks down.

Walt Disney World visitors were reportedly evacuated from the iconic Splash Mountain ride over the weekend, after the aquatic attraction suddenly broke down.

The famous log flume ride at Magic Kingdom experienced some technical difficulties on Sunday and guests aboard the ride at the Orlando, Fla., theme park had to abandon their vehicles, fan site Inside the Magic reports.

“Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                WDW Trips: '81
                EPCOT Trips: '93
                Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

You would think they could start the ball rolling on maintenance now with things improving. Of course that would cost them money and since there is no revenue in California parks right now I am sure they aren't interested in being proactive.
                  These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                  My company had a special night at the park
                  WdW trip report with WWoHP
                  NYE 2011 trip report
                  Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                  Leap year 24 hour report
                  New DCA trip report
                  NYE 2012
                  HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                    You would think they could start the ball rolling on maintenance now with things improving. Of course that would cost them money and since there is no revenue in California parks right now I am sure they aren't interested in being proactive.
                    At this point
                    I sure Disney not going spend money on any maintenance's
                    or any thing else ,to they know when the parks is fully open
                    Again There going be lots of Issue !
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I am most concerned about cars.

Comment

Slow news day if they are reporting people were evacuated from a ride. Don't they do this all the time when the rides go down?
                        "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by TacAlert View Post
                          Slow news day if they are reporting people were evacuated from a ride. Don't they do this all the time when the rides go down?
                          These were my thoughts too. This is a typical day at a Disney park. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the shut down vs maintenance. And considering it was Splash, even more typical.
                          As part of a Public Service Announcement...
                          Guardians Of The Galaxy
                          Mission: Breakout
                          ...is abbreviated like this
                          GOTG M:B
                          The colon is placed after the "M", not before it.
                          That is all. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by JayRomy View Post

These were my thoughts too. This is a typical day at a Disney park. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the shut down vs maintenance. And considering it was Splash, even more typical.
                            Right. Nothing to see here really.

The aerials reported throughout the shutdown showed crews in various places throughout the park. Of course we can't really see what's happening inside the attractions, but it'd blow my mind if budgets were allocated to maintain the basic maintenance of exterior appearances but not keep but the expensive machinery indoors. There were reports that they were constantly cycling attractions, no?

Comment

Originally posted by denyuntilcaught View Post

There were reports that they were constantly cycling attractions, no?
                              That's what I heard. They had a skeleton crew on both coasts for various departments. One of them had to be maintenance. I know Disney can be cheap, but I'm pretty sure they didn't abandon attractions and let them just gather dust, lol. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot. They're going to protect all of their assets.

Billions of dollars worth of attractions??? Meh, put a tarp on them and just walk away!! 😂

As part of a Public Service Announcement...
                              Guardians Of The Galaxy
                              Mission: Breakout
                              ...is abbreviated like this
                              GOTG M:B
                              The colon is placed after the "M", not before it.
                              That is all. 😉

Comment

Rise of the Resistance at DL has been cycling every day since the original reopening date was announced back in July. It shouldn’t have any more issues thank it did when it first opened in January (which is not saying much.)
                                As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

Comment

Aw nuts, that sucks! I wouldn't be surprised if this happened to more rides though, like the water rides and some of the more technical ones. I know Disney doesn't shut off the ambient noises when the park closes, I wonder if they did when everything closed?

Comment

Originally posted by JayRomy View Post

That's what I heard. They had a skeleton crew on both coasts for various departments. One of them had to be maintenance. I know Disney can be cheap, but I'm pretty sure they didn't abandon attractions and let them just gather dust, lol. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot. They're going to protect all of their assets.

Billions of dollars worth of attractions??? Meh, put a tarp on them and just walk away!! 😂
                                    Today while watching the Mattercam, I saw that the Matterhorn was cycling its bobsleds. I also believe a couple of nights ago, the ferris wheel was lit up and getting some action. It's not a daily thing, but it seems they have people on the property making sure the rides don't rust.

Comment

As someone who lives practically next to SFMM, I will tell you they will have a problem when they reopen, in addition to the 100s they already have with their rides. In the almost 7 months they have been closed, not one ride has cycled. For someone who can see the park from their home, I would know if I saw a roller coaster cycling.
                                      "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

I fear there going be a lots of reduced experience
                                        when the Parks open........at a higher price Admission
                                        IMO
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X