Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas how to do this?

So, we had our big trip over the summer to come back and take our son for his senior trip all planned out for over a year...Everyone knows how that went! So now we are trying to plan something for Thanksgiving. My wife is CONSTANTLY on line getting updates (putting out the matts, head of DLand parks spotted at Disneyland, on and on...yes, i get a complete update every day!) The problem is, if we make a reservation at a hotel (yes, will make sure we can cancel w/o penalty for sure), we are worried about the park ticket problem. If they open at a certain capacity, has anyone heard how they will decide who gets in and gains entrance? (i guess the sticky part is we don't want to fly down, spend money on a hotel, and find out we can only get in 1 or 2 days or possibly not even get in if that makes sense?) Any ideas/comments? I know i am trying to predict the future, but we want to be more proactive as i believe it looks like things are going to be opening up soon-thx in advance for any advice or "predictions"!
    jp

I think your planing for this trip is kind of a long shot that you and your family can just buy tickets for whatever day and expect that to happen...unfortunately I dont think thats going to happen until next yr sometime...as the parks havent even got the Green light to open. So I think your really tempting fate by going right now or even in Nov.

Comment

I wouldn't even attempt a visit until Q4 of next year. Even once they reopen, there's going to be no guarantee of access, diminished experience, etc. If they were smart, they would only guarantee access for onsite guests and only with X amount of days. Even then, the chance of being stopped at the turnstiles waiting for people to leave before you can enter is going to be a constant issue. I would just forget about 2020.
      Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Originally posted by 66stang View Post
        So, we had our big trip over the summer to come back and take our son for his senior trip all planned out for over a year...Everyone knows how that went! So now we are trying to plan something for Thanksgiving. My wife is CONSTANTLY on line getting updates (putting out the matts, head of DLand parks spotted at Disneyland, on and on...yes, i get a complete update every day!) The problem is, if we make a reservation at a hotel (yes, will make sure we can cancel w/o penalty for sure), we are worried about the park ticket problem. If they open at a certain capacity, has anyone heard how they will decide who gets in and gains entrance? (i guess the sticky part is we don't want to fly down, spend money on a hotel, and find out we can only get in 1 or 2 days or possibly not even get in if that makes sense?) Any ideas/comments? I know i am trying to predict the future, but we want to be more proactive as i believe it looks like things are going to be opening up soon-thx in advance for any advice or "predictions"!
        jp
        At Disney World you have to make a reservation for each day you visit the parks. There are no more park hoppers. I have no idea if this is how they'll implement this at Disneyland, but they already have some kind of template to make sure that people aren't locked out once they arrive. You can go to the WDW website and see how it works.

Comment

My best advice is to put off your trip until late next year. It's just not worth the headache right now. It doesn't seem like Disneyland has a plan of who gets "priority" access when they open. You have to consider not only the guests staying in the hotels, but the MANY annual passholders who are still paying for their passes. It really is a mess right now. I'm sure Disneyland will come up with some sort of solution, but it's going to affect everyone regardless.

Plus you will only be getting half of the experience once they open... if they follow the same guidelines as WDW.
          "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comment

Unless you are prone to FOMO, I wouldn't even contemplate a Disneyland trip until things get back to a somewhat normal state.
            “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
            so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
            WDW Trips: '81
            EPCOT Trips: '93
            Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Reservations are made in advance. You wouldn't wait to make reservations after you get there. And they will already have capacity determined and will allow no more than that number of reservations, so there'll be virtually no chance of a 'surprise' gate closure due to capacity. If you have a valid reservation for XX day, you are already included in their capacity count for the day. I can't see them 'overbooking' like the airlines do.

I'd suggest you check the WDW park reservation web pages. It'll give you an idea of how reservations work there and MAY work at DL. I suspect DL will use the same system with a tweak or two. WDW has 3 reservation 'buckets'. The first (and I understand the 'biggest' bucket') is for onsite guests, the second is for 'general ticket holders', the third is for APs. This may be different for DL as there aren't nearly as many onsite guests as at WDW and a TON more APs. The procedure (very simplified!!) is 1-check the park availability calendar, 2-buy your ticket if your days are available, 3-schedule your park reservation. You cannot make a reservation without a valid ticket.

We're going back to WDW next spring. We already have our tickets AND our park reservations. We're staying onsite and WDW is allowing onsite guests to make park reservations through IIRC September 2021. I don't know what the window is for general ticket holders. I do know that the window for WDW APs is more restricted.

IF DL uses the same system AND if you have your tickets already on the DL app you'll most likely be able to make reservations for your visit as soon as the reservation system goes 'live' if you're talking about this November. What is NOT known is what the demand will be and how DL's 'buckets' will be allocated. I'd be willing to bet the 3 buckets will be the same which will mean that general ticket holders will NOT be competing with APs for reservations from one bucket. How DL will allocate availability for general ticket holders vs APs, I have no idea. But if they follow the WDW model, they'll each be pulling out of their own 'buckets'. PURE SPECULATION: Since there are so many less onsite guests than at WDW, I wouldn't be surprised if onsite guests are guaranteed admission with their room reservations similar to the way they had guaranteed admission to SWGE when it first opened.

I think the thing is that flexibility will be important. I wouldn't book anything 'hard and fast' until I knew I had tickets AND reservations. Planning for me would be tickets & reservations first, then book hotel and travel. And before I started I'd have a couple of tentative dates to work with.

Also unknown is how DL will handle hopping. Right now there is no hopping at WDW. It wouldn't surprise me if DL did the same, hoping to 'split' the demand for each park.
              Last edited by Stormy; 09-18-2020, 01:18 PM.
              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Thanks Stomy-awesome info and exactly what we were looking for. Yeah, i think we kind of blew it because when we had our reservation at the PP w/tics for mid June, & when the rona hit we moved it back to mid august (knowing that it would still probably be a no go). Then instead of canceling all together we probably should have just kept moving it back to dates we could go instead of canceling all together. Then we would have actually had tix and been ready to jump on the reservation days

Comment

Well, just keep checking the news for reopening and then DL's website for the start up of ticket sales. Since tickets retain their monetary value if you're unable to get reservations for your Nov trip you'll be able to use them (or get credit for the purchase price) at a future date.

We do a WDW onsite package and kept 'haunting' the WDW website daily until the packages for our dates in 2021 were released, then I grabbed one right away. The nice thing about a package is that it's totally refundable, including the tickets, up to 30 days before check in whereas separately purchased tickets are non-refundable. Caveat is that onsite at DL is a lot more expensive than WDW because WDW has a lower price range of hotels.

Good luck and I hope you're able to go in Nov.
                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X