Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for taking our young granddaughter

I will be retiring in June and we’re looking at taking the family to Disneyland the week after Christmas next year. We will have seven adults and our 1 ½ -year -old granddaughter. It’s been a long time since we had young children at Disneyland, and we never took anyone as young as our granddaughter will be. Between parents, aunts and uncles and grandparents, there will be plenty of us willing to “sacrifice” sitting out a ride or two to stay with Stella, but I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks, ideas for navigating the parks with such a little one. I’m not even sure which rides she will be able to go on. Any advice from you experts will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hey! I have a lot of younger cousins who I have to take around the parks. If you know where to go, I'm sure your granddaughter and whoever's watching her can have fun together! I suggest doing a lot of the kiddie rides. Most of these, you can just have her in your lap. The Casey Jr. Circus train, Story Book land boats, and Monsters Inc. are all favorites of the younger ones in my family. I also suggest you do some of the smaller shows with her. The little ones in my family love turtle talk with crush, and they also like to dance with the bands who play around the parks. I'd advise for you not to take the baby to the fireworks, but the parades are always fun for little kids. Also, I'd say anything that spins too fast the Dumbo, the Astro orbiter, or the Teacups can scare kids who are really little. Have a great trip, and get lots of pictures with the cute baby!!!

Comment

I've taken my young kids to the parks many times. All kids are different and enjoy different things, so you never know what your kid might like.

I took them on the shorter Fantasyland dark rides to see how they'd do before going on longer rides like Pirates or Haunted Mansion. If they don't like the shorter rides then it's only 2 minutes and then you've learned your lesson. It could be pretty tough for everyone if they start getting afraid halfway through Pirates.

I also always made sure to take my kids to places like Toontown, Tom Sawyer Island, or the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail where they could run around. 1 1/2 is when they are reaching their peak of uncontrolled mobility, so too much time stuck in lines will be tough for the kiddo and you as the adult trying to corral them.

Comment

I started taking my daughter when she was 14 months old, and I'd say that about six of those trips are in the top ten happiest days of my life. Others are also in the top 25.

She loved the Pooh ride and (to a lesser extent) Dumbo. If your granddaughter loves a ride and you're with just her (or another person who is up for it), go on an attraction three times in a row if she wants to.

Use the kiddie toilets at the baby/child care center at the end of Man Street, and the ones in DCA.

My daughter had no fears of anything in Disneyland till she was four. The Haunted Mansion & Pirates amazed her. Then she entered a year of fear when even the storm in the Tiki room frightened her during this (thankfully brief) phase.

Don't wait in long lines to get an autograph & photo with a character. But if the lines are short, when it's your turn consider just telling the character, "We don't want a photo or autograph -- she just wants to meet you." When I did this, they would often spend a whole minute or more playing with her in character. The characters are bored out of their minds posing and signing all day and most welcomed a chance to act.

When she was just three (she was tall, so might have looked a year older) she was picked for Jedi training. I told her Darth Vador was really nice and when she walked up to him with a big smile, the two of then just playfully hit swords together while the Jedi master paced behind them, pretending to be frustrated. He said, "Hello, Darth, remember? The DARK SIDE?!" My daughter got a huge applause as she walked away from him, and after the show she told me, "Darth Vador is really nice!" She did Jedi Training about ten more times over the next decade and was picked EVERY time because she held a sign (on an unfolded manilla file folder): "I want to be a JEDI, not a princess!" The one time she wasn't picked was when she let her friend hold the sign & her friend as picked.

Some of our favorite moments came when we stopped to hear the many live musicians around the parks. Most of them really like kids and seemed enjoy it when my toddler danced in front of them.

When she fell asleep in her stroller, I liked to push her into the lobby of the Grand Californian. I read and enjoyed a beverage (usually a soft drink I brought from home) while she slept. When she woke in the lobby of the hotel she seemed interested in the location. A couple of nights we listened to the story teller by the fireplace of the Grand Californian.

--Tom Sinsky
        Last edited by jcruise86; Yesterday, 10:02 AM.

Comment

The week after Christmas is the most crowded time of the entire year. The only thing I can say is bring a whole lot of patience with you.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X