• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference Cliff Notes

Via Laughing Place
    With that, the presentation is over.

9/22/2020 10:28 AM Pacific Time

"We are ready, and more importantly... it is time" - Josh D'Amaro, Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products.

9/22/2020 10:27 AM Pacific Time

Talking to government officials, he asks that they treat theme parks as they do other sectors. The longer we wait, the more devistating the impact will be.

9/22/2020 10:27 AM Pacific Time

He also shares his appreciation to the cast, crew and Imagineers.

9/22/2020 10:26 AM Pacific Time

The Disney Institute has put together a 3 part course called "Operating During Turbulent Times" and will share with the community.

9/22/2020 10:26 AM Pacific Time

"80,000 jobs rely on Disneyland's operations."

9/22/2020 10:24 AM Pacific Time

"Disney is an important part of the economy."

9/22/2020 10:24 AM Pacific Time

Now, it goes to Josh D'Amaro who is alone at Disney California Adventure.

9/22/2020 10:23 AM Pacific Time

"We are ready, and we can't wait to welcome guests back to the Disneyland Resort"

9/22/2020 10:23 AM Pacific Time

He says that they are eager to open Avengers Campus.

9/22/2020 10:22 AM Pacific Time

Disney is announcing a plan to provide COVID testing in their communities and will announce details soon.

9/22/2020 10:22 AM Pacific Time

Disneyland will be expanding mobile order and contactless payments upon reopening.

9/22/2020 10:21 AM Pacific Time

Disneyland is ready to open the theme park reservation system used at other parks while they have already experience with other procedures.

9/22/2020 10:21 AM Pacific Time

Disney hopes to have guidance from the state soon.

9/22/2020 10:20 AM Pacific Time

None of California's tiers address theme parks, but Disneyland has been in conversation with the governor.

9/22/2020 10:20 AM Pacific Time

He mentions that Orange County is currently at California's red "substantial" tier.

9/22/2020 10:19 AM Pacific Time

They also use a mobile waitlist when lines reach a certain threshold.

9/22/2020 10:19 AM Pacific Time

Disney monitors incoming traffic and pauses entry when required.

9/22/2020 10:18 AM Pacific Time

Patrick is at the Downtown Disney District, which is the one part of the Disneyland Resort which is open.

Now it is turned over to Patrick Finnegan, VP of DCA and Downtown Disney.

"These times we are in, will not last forever."

9/22/2020 10:17 AM Pacific Time

She brings up the MLS and NBA bubbles and Disney's role in bringing back professional sports.

They are on their 3rd generation of cast masks.

She also talks about "pixie dust masks" which were designed for cast members.

9/22/2020 10:16 AM Pacific Time

She mentions the Incredicrew who promote and enforce the new guidelines.

9/22/2020 10:16 AM Pacific Time

In order to make testing easy, Disney has worked with the authorities to create a testing site on property for the cast and the public.

9/22/2020 10:15 AM Pacific Time

Each recalled cast member are given a "cast care" kit to promote health & wellness.

9/22/2020 10:14 AM Pacific Time

Disney is giving furloughed employees health insurance and other resources.

She said it was "heartbreaking" to close in March.

Elizabeth Mullins, VP of Hotels and Resorts, takes over to talk about cast members.

The parks across the globe are sharing what they have learned with each other.

9/22/2020 10:13 AM Pacific Time

For the holidays, they are celebrating "in a whole new way"

Some musical acts, such as the Jamminators, have been put in venues that allow for physical distancing.

While they have halted some entertainment offerings, they have developed 26 new entertainment offerings including those at unannounced times.

9/22/2020 10:12 AM Pacific Time

Melissa says now is a great time to experience the parks.

9/22/2020 10:12 AM Pacific Time

They are now sharing a montage of guest testimonials.

9/22/2020 10:11 AM Pacific Time

Guests are experiencing more attractions due to lower wait times.

9/22/2020 10:11 AM Pacific Time

She also points out the relaxation stations where guests may remove their masks.

9/22/2020 10:10 AM Pacific Time

Many guests applaud Disney's enforcement of their face covering policy.

8 of 10 guests feel the safety measures are "just right"

"The guests love seeing the smiles behind the masks of our cast members"

9/22/2020 10:09 AM Pacific Time

Now it is turned over to Melissa Valiquette the VP of EPCOT.

Industrial engineers have determined the park capacity, but they do not share numbers.

To manage attendance, Disney created the Disney Park Pass system so they know how many guests will be in the park on each day.

9/22/2020 10:08 AM Pacific Time

Djuan is now going to take a deeper dive in attendance limits.

Djuan says the focus at the moment is on local travelers, but as conditions improve, they will broaden their reach.

He also mentions that guests have to be stationary to eat or drink.

9/22/2020 10:07 AM Pacific Time

Djuan mentions they have adapted their procedures as they gained more information, for example, they exclueded gaiters after data showed they were not effective.

9/22/2020 10:07 AM Pacific Time

Disney has limited attendance, required face coverings, imposed physical distancing, added hand washing and sanitizing stations, among other efforts.

9/22/2020 10:06 AM Pacific Time

The presentation turns to Djuan Rivers, the VP of Disney's Animal Kingdom.

9/22/2020 10:05 AM Pacific Time

In Florida, the cases have fallen since WDW has reopened. They will continue to monitor the landscape closely.

9/22/2020 10:05 AM Pacific Time

Disney has used their 65 years of experience operating theme parks to reinvent the way they operate.

9/22/2020 10:04 AM Pacific Time

They talked about the phased reopening of Shanghai Disneyland which recently reintroduced parades and nighttime spectaculars.

9/22/2020 10:03 AM Pacific Time

They begin talking about the company's history of resiliance by showing Steamboat Willie.

9/22/2020 10:03 AM Pacific Time

The presentation is starting.

9/22/2020 10:02 AM Pacific Time

Closing remarks will be given by Josh D'Amaro, Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products.

9/22/2020 9:53 AM Pacific Time

Participants are Djuan Rivers, VP of Disney's Animal Kingdom, Melissa Valiquette VP of EPCOT, Elizabeth Millins, VP of WDW Hotels and Resorts, and Patrick Finnegan, VP of DCA and Downtown Disney.

9/22/2020 9:53 AM Pacific Time

Disney leaders will provide an update on how they are making the magic while continuing to promote health and safety for both cast members and guests.

9/22/2020 9:52 AM Pacific Time

At 10am PT, Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products will be presenting an update on Disney Parks' approach to operating during the pandemic.

9/22/2020 9:51 AM Pacific Time

So It seems like Micechat's article about Disney reaching a deal with Newsom is false. Entire purpose of this meeting seemed to be them basically saying "Newsom, we've been operating around the rest of the world safely, where you at?"

Comment

so, a whole lotta nothing

Comment

Thanks for posting it.
        "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Thank you for these footnotes, nickdean707! Despite there being no groundbreaking news, these are rather insightful.

Comment

So seems like the parks wont be open until after Halloween at this rate
            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
              So I guess this is not going to happen, is it?

Click image for larger version  Name:	7mguvs0wbro51.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	8626513

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                I'm still betting on post holidays.

Comment

This whole year , sure have felt ,that the world have been hanging ,on a CLIFF ......
                  imo
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

My guess is Newsom will cave and Disney will be allowed to reopen no later than 10/15. If Disneyland is still closed after that date I would be shocked.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbreeze77 View Post

I'm still betting on post holidays.
                      I don't know...i used to think that but seems like pressure is mounting and don't think he has much love from many citizens keeping the parks closed when other places can be open (not saying i support it but many seem to just want things to be normal)
                      So i think before thanksgiving now makes sense, also its weeks after the election as well
                      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Djuan says the focus at the moment is on local travelers, but as conditions improve, they will broaden their reach.

Sounds like the parks will open before the 3 hotels do. Although I don't know how they expect to 'focus' on local travelers when people from all over can and do stay offsite. I'm 400+ miles away and can easily drive down & stay with family for a few days.
                        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

What concerns me as a pass holder is that Disney will try to make Disneyland fit into the pattern of Disneyworld. I understand the need to make safety modifications in the short term, but I worry those surveys won’t have much weight when this is over. Honestly, I don’t think we will come out of this until after the holidays because Christmas and New Year’s are always a big deal. Even without entertainment, people are so starved to get back that it may get ugly with people all trying to get reservations. WDW adjusted pretty well because their biggest group are out of state/ international individuals, so they can flex to make room for the passholders. Disneyland’s biggest demographic are passholders.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

Sounds like the parks will open before the 3 hotels do. Although I don't know how they expect to 'focus' on local travelers when people from all over can and do stay offsite. I'm 400+ miles away and can easily drive down & stay with family for a few days.
                            Not every AP is local, but if you limited access to the park to only APs that would still largely limit the park to locals. I don’t think they would do that (at the expense of the pricey one day ticket), but it is not entirely out of the realm of possibility. APs are a crutch that Disney has leaned on before.

They could also demand to see a local ID if you buy a ticket. When they have local-only tickets specials, how did they ensure only locals get the deal? I feel this could work the same way.

But these options would imply Disney doesn’t want any non-local travelers whatsoever. A “Focus” on locals doesn’t mean no other travelers period. A reservation system that allows a ratio of more APs to single/multi day tickets would also put more of a focus on locals in general.
                            APs
                            Burning Cabin
                            Splash Mountain
                            Star Wars
                            Fantasy Faire
                            Smoking
                            Pirates
                            Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post

Not every AP is local, but if you limited access to the park to only APs that would still largely limit the park to locals. I don’t think they would do that (at the expense of the pricey one day ticket), but it is not entirely out of the realm of possibility. APs are a crutch that Disney has leaned on before.

They could also demand to see a local ID if you buy a ticket. When they have local-only tickets specials, how did they ensure only locals get the deal? I feel this could work the same way.

But these options would imply Disney doesn’t want any non-local travelers whatsoever. A “Focus” on locals doesn’t mean no other travelers period. A reservation system that allows a ratio of more APs to single/multi day tickets would also put more of a focus on locals in general.
                              Refusing out of state customers would be bad PR for Disney. Also, it would be bad in profit.

Yes, APs are reliable in the long run, but not in immediate earnings. Out of State will likely drop more money at once (from multi-day vacations), compare to an AP, who will likely spend less per day/visit.

The reservation system would be off if it favored APs, over out of state. APs have traditionally spent less time in the parks compared to tourists. This could lead to multiple APs to enter & leave early, causing the parks to be dead from no guests.

I'm not trying to offend APs, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post

Very valid points!

It would be interesting to know the ratio of local to non-local APs. I consider a 'local' AP as Bakersfield south to the border. It's a bit of a drive from Bakersfield, but it's doable for a lot of people. I was a non-local Deluxe at one time but they jacked the price up and put in so many blockout dates that it made it impractical.

I think they did request proof of So Cal residence for those tickets. But I agree I don't think they'd sell only So Cal resident's tickets, but we're in such uncharted territory that who really knows.

WDW weighted their allocation in favor of ticket purchasers. But I can honestly see DL doing the opposite and giving a bigger slice of the pie to APs. I think they're a guaranteed 'sell out' vs the WDW APs who I've heard aren't booking out all their available slots.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

Refusing out of state customers would be bad PR for Disney. Also, it would be bad in profit.

Yes, APs are reliable in the long run, but not in immediate earnings. Out of State will likely drop more money at once (from multi-day vacations), compare to an AP, who will likely spend less per day/visit.

The reservation system would be off if it favored APs, over out of state. APs have traditionally spent less time in the parks compared to tourists. This could lead to multiple APs to enter & leave early, causing the parks to be dead from no guests.

I'm not trying to offend APs, BTW.
                                  No offense taken as an AP.

APs spend less time but they come at different times. Some prefer the first half of the day and others the second half. APs who leave for the day usually will be replaced by APs just coming in.

As far as the spend per day, that is the age old debate on MiceChat. APs spend less per visit but they spend more overall in their year as an AP and guarantee a certain amount of revenue. The fact that so much merch is geared to APs proves that APs spend money. After all they have a local park they can wear all that gear. Where else can you really make use of your collection of overpriced ears?

I also think the money spent by out-of-state is exaggerated; many out-of-state visitors stay off site. That is big chunk of a vacation cost that Disney does not profit from if the guest is not spending the night in their hotels. It further decreases revenue because if a guest is off-site, then they have easier access to off site food. This is why WDW is setup the way it is: it is much harder to leave their property. They even pick you up form the airport so that you can spend every scent in their resort from the moment you arrive. Without their hotels open, Disneyland has less financial incentive to reach for the out-of-state tourist.

However, just a note: I am not the one who said that Disneyland was focusing on locals. That is apparently what they said per the discussion. I was just making guesses to how they would theoretically do that. Although, I do not think it would be bad PR to focus on locals considering they are getting bad PR for simply considering opening (there is mockery of the poor rich little corporation). I think that focusing on locals is really just a way to appease the state (that park will be as safe as it can be, relatively speaking). Whether that would actually help or not is another matter.
                                  APs
                                  Burning Cabin
                                  Splash Mountain
                                  Star Wars
                                  Fantasy Faire
                                  Smoking
                                  Pirates
                                  Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

It's possible Newsom is the one hoping to discourage tourism and focusing on locals is a compromise they've been working on.

I have purchased local discount tickets before and you must show proof of residency - a bill addressed to you or a Driver's license.
                                    "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                                      It's possible Newsom is the one hoping to discourage tourism and focusing on locals is a compromise they've been working on.

You may have a point there. I can see Newsom (and CA Dept of Health) not wanting to have people from one area traveling to another area. Especially if they're traveling from a 'hot' area to an area with lower/lowering infection rates. Look at Sturgis and other large gatherings that have resulted in spikes and outbreaks in areas other than where the event was held.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

So I guess this is not going to happen, is it?

Click image for larger version Name:	7mguvs0wbro51.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	8626513

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
                                        Love this!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X