Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you more of a fan of the parks or the movies?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Are you more of a fan of the parks or the movies?

What really drives your Disney fandom?

Probably for most of us there is a lot of overlap and we love all things Disney, but is there one part that you like more than the others?

Or is it too close to call?
    Parks
    88.64%
    Movies
    2.27%
    Both equally - Too close to call
    9.09%
    Other (Disney Channel, ESPN, etc.)
    0%

For me, it's probably 80% parks. I grew up watching the movies and visiting the parks, but as I've gotten older I mainly think about the parks.

I have two young kids now, so I see a lot of the movies these days and we watch a lot of Disney+, but the reason I'm a Disney fan is for the parks.

Comment

Love Disneyland. Love the old movies. Have absolutely no interest in the stuff they are putting out currently.

Comment

The parks 1000%. I love a lot of the old movies (classic animation, '60s films) but it's the parks that are my 'happy place'.
        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I usually like the Disney movies, especially the classics, but there are no words to describe my love for the parks.
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Parks only. I don't care for the movies they make nor do not like any of their TV networks. But the Mandolorian (sp?) has been pretty good. And when I was a little kid on Sunday evenings Walt Disney reruns were always on TV and I liked them a lot.
            Last edited by tarheelalum; 09-30-2020, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxwellSmart View Post
              Love Disneyland. Love the old movies. Have absolutely no interest in the stuff they are putting out currently.
              Same here.

The older movies were done by actual artists and became famous in and of themselves. The newer stuff seems to be more like riding on the coattails of something already famous........nowhere near as enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxwellSmart View Post
                Originally posted by micromind View Post

Same here.

The older movies were done by actual artists and became famous in and of themselves. The newer stuff seems to be more like riding on the coattails of something already famous........nowhere near as enjoyable.
                Ditto.
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

The parks. I like many of the animated movies and of course the older shorts but they are a bonus on top of the parks. I am not a fan of the live action remakes.
                  "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

I'M
                    Both equally -
                    It depends how I feel.........and what kind of time I have ,also what the weather.......the day brings !

There time
                    I get out and walk and do things........such as the parks ,or just take a drive
                    and there other times ,to sit down and relax ,and to be entertain !!

I do not really....specially in my age ,like doing same thing over and over......
                    Just there more to life !
                    Last edited by Eagleman; 09-27-2020, 04:26 PM.
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Majority parks for me.

Growing up, I didn’t see too many Disney films or shorts outside of the park. The Disney films of my youth were during the period of the 70’s and 80’s which just weren’t all that memorable (to me at least). Weekday afternoon cartoons were G.I. Joe and Transformers. Saturday Morning cartoons were Warner Bros. I also didn’t see many of the Disney classics until later in my life. As a result, I have a stronger impression of many Disney classics from Fantasyland attractions than the films they were based on.
                      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                      Walt Disney World
                      Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                      1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                      2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

@Mike_M, I guess we grew up about the same time. Mom took sister and I to the re-releases whenever we could go, and that got me hooked on animation, but as soon as I was going to movies on my own, Disney was pumping out (what i thought was) garbage, so I lost my 'faith.' Wasn't until many years later that I visited DL, but I was sold from the moment I walked in. I'm torn between the movies and the park, but I suppose it depends on the movie

Comment

I do love the movies but not with the same passion I do the parks. Really, the movies are inextricably linked to the parks anyway. I just have so many wonderful memories there. I miss them so much. I hope they can recover.
                          ―George Darling

It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

While I really, really like the movies and content....the parks are Disney at it's finest. They take the imagination of their content and bring them to life with Imagineering magic.

Comment

I love the parks the tiniest bit more, but they wouldn't be as great without that touch of movie magic. When I was young, the highlight was always meeting the princesses or going on the dark rides- I learned to appreciate the original rides with age, but the fun characters always made the park for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGoat View Post
                                @Mike_M, I guess we grew up about the same time. Mom took sister and I to the re-releases whenever we could go, and that got me hooked on animation, but as soon as I was going to movies on my own, Disney was pumping out (what i thought was) garbage, so I lost my 'faith.' Wasn't until many years later that I visited DL, but I was sold from the moment I walked in. I'm torn between the movies and the park, but I suppose it depends on the movie
                                I'm in that same time frame as well. During childhood, I loved the Disney movies that were coming out, but looking back, they're not Disney's finest. Although it originally aired long before I was born, the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood would occasionally air Fantasia and my dad would take me to see it. It was my favorite - and his. I remember when Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video came out, they did a double feature of "Thriller" and "Fantasia". Most people left after "Thriller"
                                "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

The parks. Big fan of both the old and new films; however, I am here because of the parks. I think my interest personally has to do with being a local; better access helped feed my interest so to speak. Since I was able to go more often since childhood, I had more opportunities to learn about the park and appreciate it beyond just rides. I have been a few times to WDW and once to Tokyo and while I keep tabs on their happenings, I always am more interested in Disneyland. I think it’s because I know that is the one I can visit most readily. While their histories are interesting, I am more fascinated in the park with which I am more familiar.

However, you don’t need to be a local to be more of a park fan than a film fan. It’s because you are at the parks for a longer period than a film and the park reaches more of your senses than a film that I think it creates such a level of devotion from its fans (former and current).
                                  APs
                                  Burning Cabin
                                  Splash Mountain
                                  Star Wars
                                  Fantasy Faire
                                  Smoking
                                  Pirates
                                  Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

Disneyland and California Adventure, 100%.

Comment

I enjoy some of the movies, but the parks are just a place that feels like you're in a new world. I mean hell, only Disney Theme parks can get you to fork over hundreds to thousands of dollars to visit before even buying merch and food.

Comment

For me it's mostly movies with the parks as a (huge) bonus. I love the parks, but I've never had an annual pass so the parks aren't as big a part of my life as somebody who goes to Disneyland every week.
                                        Disney movies and cartoons were a huge part of my childhood. Snow White was the first movie I saw in a theater, my family went to the theatrical re-releases whenever we could and we had all the tapes in the big old plastic clamshell boxes. I never get tired of watching the animated classics, they are works of art that never get old. If I'm feeling down or stressed out, I can put on Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella and relax and enjoy the magic. While it took me a while to warm up to the current style of CG animation, I can appreciate the level of detail it is capable of, and I have some new favorites like Frozen and Tangled as well.
                                        I could do without the live action remakes though...to me they started off weak and got progressively worse with each installment. "If it's not Baroque, don't fix it" - Cogsworth

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X