Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Disneyland & DCA Reopening date predictions

As we begin to enter the last quarter of the year, it's time for a new reopening prediction poll. The options are for, October, November, December, January or February/Later. Keep in mind you are voting on when the parks will reopen, not when you would reopen them.

Please respect the wishes of this forum, and do NOT bring up Political opinions in this thread. If you wished to debate politics, please use the Debate Lounge.
    October 2020
    5.36%
    November 2020
    37.50%
    December 2020
    5.36%
    January 2021
    16.07%
    February 2021 or later
    35.71%

I will make the 1st prediction. I predict that a compromise will be made with the state. And the parks will begin to reopen late October.

Comment

I feel like disneyland wont open until 2021. and itll be WAY different due to cutbacks

Comment

I voted November. Disney is pushing so hard because they don’t want to miss out on the holidays. Namely, I think their aggression to open soon will work. I think it was headed in that direction anyways, but not fast enough for them.
        APs
        Burning Cabin
        Splash Mountain
        Star Wars
        Fantasy Faire
        Smoking
        Pirates
        Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

The longer they're closed, the more I believe that they will reopen in 2021. There's just a lot going on right now.

Also, what's the turnaround time for reopening? Is it six weeks after guidelines are released? I remember the initial announcement slated five weeks for preparation, so late October seems very unlikely at this point.

Comment

I voted for November. I believe that was my vote in the very first poll as well. I do think Disney will make a compromise so they can open for the holidays.
            "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

I suspect that if they open before the holidays, they'll have to shut down again within a month to six weeks. The reality of how the COVID spread is increasing in the U.S. as a whole (especially in the West), combined with the continued lack of a national program of rapid-result testing and rigorous contact tracing, does not bode well for theme parks.

Twenty-one states are reporting increased Covid-19 cases as experts warn of a fall surge

"Almost half the US is reporting increased numbers of new Covid-19 cases as health experts warn of a potential coronavirus surge in the fall and winter.

As of Sunday, the number of new coronavirus cases has increased by at least 10% or more compared to the week before in 21 states, most of them in the West, according to a CNN analysis of data from Johns Hopkins University.

Cases are rising in Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington state, Wisconsin and Wyoming....

The US could see an explosion of Covid-19 cases in the fall and winter as people exercise less caution and spend more time indoors, where there is a greater likelihood of transmission, according to Dr. Chris Murray, director of the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME).

Murray says the IHME model shows a 'huge surge' expected to take off in October 'and accelerate in November and December.' The IHME model indicates that the country is currently seeing about 765 daily deaths from Covid-19, but that number could jump to 3,000 daily deaths by late December...."

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-30-2020, 05:12 PM.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

With the layoffs that just happened, it seems they're planning for a much longer shut down than even they predicted. Also with the surges happening all around as well as flu season about to kick in hardcore, we may very well see a shut down suddenly happen again for even longer than before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                  I voted for November. I believe that was my vote in the very first poll as well. I do think Disney will make a compromise so they can open for the holidays.
                  I voted for November also. The 28,000 workers, if I am reading various articles correctly, accounts for a portion of the over 100,000 employees employed in various areas of the Disney company. The OC Register stated, "Disney parks boss Josh D’Amaro announced the layoffs at the company’s theme parks, cruise lines, travel planning and consumer products division on Tuesday, Sept. 29 in a statement and a letter to cast members, Disney parlance for employees."

In addition, "About two-thirds of the 28,000 laid off employees are part-time workers. D’Amaro said Disney will look for opportunities to bring back the laid off employees at a later date."

If the park is not going to operate at full capacity, there is no need to keep so many workers on. I feel bad for these workers. BUT, let's remember, their union also fought to keep the park closed and did nothing to help get it back open. They could have easily worked with the Disneyland corporate to encourage the Governor to reopen the parks, just like Florida is open.

There appears, from the limited amount of pictures we can get, that preparations are being made to reopen the park. I'm sure soon we will hear soon from those who didn't get laid off. A co-workers wife who works in the Grand Californian has not been laid off so I am hopeful. And YES, I will be there the first day if I can get a reservation.
                  "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

I'm not a pessimist but by this time next year Disneyland and DCA will be ready for opening...
                    I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by TacAlert View Post
                      They could have easily worked with the Disneyland corporate to encourage the Governor to reopen the parks, just like Florida is open.
                      Comparing CA to FL is not reasonable. They might as well be on different planets when it comes to governance. This is not a political statement. It's a fact. Here are 4 words that undeniably support that fact: Reedy Creek Improvement District.

Disney controls FL. What Disney wants in FL, Disney gets. Politicians in FL might as well wear Disney nametags.

CA does not care what Disney wants. Even Anaheim can overrule Disney when it comes to operations in CA.

These statements are not political. They are just facts. CA and FL are on complete opposite ends of every possible spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

Comparing CA to FL is not reasonable. They might as well be on different planets when it comes to governance. This is not a political statement. It's a fact. Here are 4 words that undeniably support that fact: Reedy Creek Improvement District.

Disney controls FL. What Disney wants in FL, Disney gets. Politicians in FL might as well wear Disney nametags.

CA does not care what Disney wants. Even Anaheim can overrule Disney when it comes to operations in CA.

These statements are not political. They are just facts. CA and FL are on complete opposite ends of every possible spectrum.
                        Too funny. When you say it is not political, you are making it political. At least my post where I put nothing political, but one member said it was, was clearly not political. But the easy out was to move the entire thread to the debate lounge to avoid the harassment that was directed at me in that post.

I will publicly say this again. I respect your passion for the virus and how you take it so seriously. That's fine. It is your right. But I am asking you to please be fair with the rules here and apply them evenly to everyone.

You and I will never agree on the virus and what we see as serious about it. I am OK with that. But you need to let us voice our opinions as well without us being abused by one member here on the board.

As always, take care. Try to enjoy life. Don't get so caught up in all the media hype and frenzy. And as always, would love to meet you in person one day at Disneyland.
                        "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                          The longer they're closed, the more I believe that they will reopen in 2021. There's just a lot going on right now.

Also, what's the turnaround time for reopening? Is it six weeks after guidelines are released? I remember the initial announcement slated five weeks for preparation, so late October seems very unlikely at this point.
                          Good question. Seems like everything changes everyday in the state, counties, and cities. The guidelines are so confusing. Guess we are just stuck in a holding pattern.

Comment

If the predictions on opening requirements are true per today's Fresh Baked YouTube channel, it will be a very long time before Disneyland is open and when it does open it will be a SoCal residents park only for quite some time. Sometime later in 2021 is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                              If the predictions on opening requirements are true per today's Fresh Baked YouTube channel, it will be a very long time before Disneyland is open and when it does open it will be a SoCal residents park only for quite some time. Sometime later in 2021 is my guess.
                              Isn't it already a SoCal residents park?

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                                Funny this was mentioned. Logged into the Mattercam briefly this morning and learned about the 120 mile rumor, haha!

Comment

At this point I'll be happy if we can go back in October 2021.

Comment

I think we'll get our answer soon (or not) –

California to issue theme park reopening guidelines this week, state officials say
                                    https://www.ocregister.com/2020/10/01/california-to-issue-theme-park-reopening-guidelines-this-week-state-officials-say/

California plans to issue reopening guidelines this week that will allow Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood and other theme parks in the state to resume operations after more than six months of coronavirus closures, according to state officials.

Reopening guidelines for California theme parks will be issued this week, according to Jesse Melgar, press secretary for Gov. Gavin Newsom. Theme park reopening guidelines may vary by county, according to Melgar.

Theme park reopening guidelines will be issued by the California Department of Public Health, according to California Health and Human Services spokesperson Rodger Butler.“ Theme park guidance is expected to come from CDPH this week,” Butler said via email. “Theme parks will be incorporated into the Blueprint for a Safer Economy similar to other sectors.”

Besides what was reported on Fresh Baked, additional tips include:
                                    • Requiring advanced ticket sales
                                    • 25% park occupancy
                                    • Face coverings
                                    • Admission limited to people residing within a certain distance of the parks (this falls in line with the 120 miles rumor)
                                    *** Gentle reminder: Please no political opinions! Just reporting the news, folks.

Comment

What if I buy a ticket for me and my brother who lives in Texas. Will they still let him in provided I am with him and I bought the tickets? I guess they’ll have to check IDs at the turnstiles but they would let me him and he’d have to stay behind? I could see this situation being a mess.

Comment

Honestly I won't believe it until it comes from official channels (the governor himself), but I can understand the distance rumor as it makes some sense. Opening up the parks invites people from lower tier counties to come in and it could cause an issue. We've already seen this with San Diego county being open and at a higher Tier than OC, and now they are close to slipping back to the lowest tier possible. As far as requiring Tier 4, this seems a bit high but also a very safe measure as the difference between Tier 3 and Tier 4 for Orange County is roughly a difference of 94 new cases per day average.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X