Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Viewliner Train

Came across this video on the "precursor" to the Monorail. I honestly never even knew about this one.

"Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Thanks
    Park History is very interesting........

My fist trip to Disneyland was not to 1959
    after the Monorail open......
    so never saw the "precursor" Viewliner !
    Good clip and History .......
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Cool little video. I like that Santa Fe was a sponsor.

Even on a project that was only meant as a placeholder attraction, Disney spared no expense when it came to details. The conductors on the Viewliner, just like their counterparts on the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad, had custom hat badges featuring the SF&D herald, and SF&D RY initials. Instead of "Conductor" spelled out along he bottom, it said "VIEWLINER."

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
        Cool little video. I like that Santa Fe was a sponsor.

Even on a project that was only meant as a placeholder attraction, Disney spared no expense when it came to details. The conductors on the Viewliner, just like their counterparts on the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad, had custom hat badges featuring the SF&D herald, and SF&D RY initials. Instead of "Conductor" spelled out along he bottom, it said "VIEWLINER."
        Like wise
        In 1966 ,as a kid........
        I went back east and back , on Santa Fe The El Capitan !
        There something Santa Fe logo.......
        But like Walt.....I love Trains !
        "ALBOARD"
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Isn't the viewliner station still around? I believe it was moved to Tomorrowland and is now the Disneyland railroad station there.

Comment

Disneyland is the ultimate train set for Walt and I am just glad he invited us all along to enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfn View Post
              Isn't the viewliner station still around? I believe it was moved to Tomorrowland and is now the Disneyland railroad station there.
              That's a common misconception. There are photos where you can see both the Viewliner station and Tomorrowland Station, in the same view. They were basically identical, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                That's a common misconception. There are photos where you can see both the Viewliner station and Tomorrowland Station, in the same view. They were basically identical, however.
                Yep! Both stations are visible in a couple of the photos on Daveland's Viewliner page.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

That seems cool..but for sure think the three rides we got in the same space was worth it's short life.
                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

as a young boy, I saw a picture of the Viewliner...so, naturally, I looked for it on our next visit, which was way beyond it's removal...imagine my surprise and embarrassment when Dad explained to me what had happen...
                    I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

The design and style of the Viewliner reminds me of the early Monorails.

Comment

Nice video. Thanks

Comment

This is so cool! What a great history lesson! Thanks!
                          ―George Darling

It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

A cute piece of trivia: The Fantasyland Viewliner had cars named after cartoon characters (Pinocchio, Cinderella, Bambi, Alice and Tinkerbelle); the Tomorrowland train had cars named after the planets (Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, Mars and Saturn). One studio wag suggested calling a spare car "Pluto," so it could be used with either train. However, the cars were permanently coupled, and a spare car couldn't easily be added.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X