Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you see Disneyland reducing their prices?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Would you see Disneyland reducing their prices?

I recently read an article that among those laid off in Anaheim are Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel character cast members, entertainment managers, security guards, as well as animal handlers. I immediately assumed that the price for the Disneyland experience of yesterday is nowhere equal to the Disneyland experience of tomorrow (whenever that is).

When Disneyland reopens, do you see them reducing their prices within the year? I can't imagine that even if capacity continues to grow that the park itself will return to "normal." I don't see anyone paying for a one-day ticket, or even an annual pass, and telling themselves it's worth the price, especially when a lot of the magic is clearly going to be taken away for a long while.

I don't think WDW lowered their prices for the experience being offered now, right? If that is anything to go off of, then I doubt we'll see the entry price reduced at all.
    "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
      I don't think WDW lowered their prices for the experience being offered now, right? If that is anything to go off of, then I doubt we'll see the entry price reduced at all.
      I think the difference between Disneyland and WDW is now vastly apparent, especially now that Florida is pushing capacity and letting their entertainment and tourism sectors have at it. I don't see Disneyland getting the same treatment.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a price drop. I'm just mentally preparing myself for the worst so that I can't be disappointed, hah.
        "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

While it would make sense for the consumer to pay less because they get less, I don’t think Disney will:

If they lower the price, then that limits their ability to makeup for their losses (which is looking worse since the holiday season is upon us). Lowering a price is to attract more people/money, but since there is a limit to attendance, there are only so many people they need to attract. Disney knows their demand due to their guest surveys*. I have taken a few post closure. Namely, they were gauging my interest as an AP regarding going to the park in a post COVID world. I don’t think they are worried that they will not have guests, which is the only reason they would lower price from a business perspective. Do I see them lowering the price to be fair to the consumer? Considering how difficult it is to get a refund for an AP, I don’t think so.

*Namely, I think there are plenty of people who would go in spite reduced offerings.

EDIT:

However, if Disney does have an issue attracting guests for a length of time, they might resort to other options than simply a price cut. For example, in the past they would offer special deals where you could visit Disneyland one day and get free ticket for DCA to visit another day. This might attract guests who see their dollar go farther. and Disney ensures the guest pays full value for their ticket. More importantly, this gets guest to come back and spend more money on food/drink. Thus, I think this option would be more attractive to Disney. If that doesn’t work, then I could see a price cut. I just don’t think we would see it relatively soon because it would not likely be their first solution.
          Last edited by Jesser-pie; 10-07-2020, 03:01 PM.
          APs
          Burning Cabin
          Splash Mountain
          Star Wars
          Fantasy Faire
          Smoking
          Pirates
          Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

No. No price reduction.

Comment

There's not a chance in heck that gate prices will be lowered. They haven't had to cut admission prices in Florida but have offered better than usual discounts to Florida residents. Also a couple weeks ago you had this happen with just Downtown Disney open: https://twitter.com/DisneylandToday/...01635808890882

Four minutes after the parking lot opened the DLToday twitter account announced that the lot was already full.

Personally I have no doubt that the parks will be full to whatever capacity is allowed once they get the ok.

Comment

They’re screwing current AP holders by not letting them change their mind from an extension to a refund. They’re also not giving refunds to those who requested them even though their pass expired months ago. No chance a company that behaves like that is going to reduce admission. They are trying to keep as much money as possible.

Comment

I don't think they will lower ticket prices either. I think they will be a mostly APers park for quite some time so they may actually raise food and drink prices to compensate for less ticket sales. I think they will have no problem filling their daily allowable entries, whether it's 25% or 80% so no price drop is needed. Unfortunately, I also think annual passes will cap at Flex so they can control attendance and wipe out free parking.
                  "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

I don't see Disney lowering their prices........ ever.

One word......Greed.

On the other hand, if lower prices meant larger executive bonuses, admission would be free in about a minute.........

Comment

Given that Disneyland would have limited capacity, and given that people are very likely going to climb the walls to get in, there is no need for Disney to lower prices.

Heck, I would expect a price increase.

Comment

~~~~~NO~~~~~I don't see Disney lowering their prices
                        I do see them ......... raising -Price Admission - as well Food & Drinks
                        as well store Items .......also Parking..........IMO
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I kind of laughed at the idea of them lowering prices, but then, according to the official WDW site, prices are $120 a day for 2020, and $109 for 2021??!! And they hint that park hopping may return in late March. Maybe someone else can check the link to see if I'm missing something:
                          https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/admission/tickets/

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                            I kind of laughed at the idea of them lowering prices, but then, according to the official WDW site, prices are $120 a day for 2020, and $109 for 2021??!! And they hint that park hopping may return in late March. Maybe someone else can check the link to see if I'm missing something:
                            It came to me in a dream. You're welcome.

I'm kidding, of course, but today I was having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around Disney practically scamming their customers, especially in California. @Jesser-pie's mention of deals makes the most sense. I just don't see Disney getting by with their current prices without intense scrutiny, or backlash. Even now we're all baffled that Disney is trying to open as semi-operational just to keep their prices as high as they are.

How long could they actually keep these prices up? A lot of families don't have the money to visit anymore, and if they did, why would they want to visit a theme park without the full Disney experience? I predict their prices are going to be tested. There's nowhere to go but down at this point.

Of course, this is my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if the prices didn't change, but I would quietly judge from afar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                              I don't think they will lower ticket prices either. I think they will be a mostly APers park for quite some time so they may actually raise food and drink prices to compensate for less ticket sales. I think they will have no problem filling their daily allowable entries, whether it's 25% or 80% so no price drop is needed. Unfortunately, I also think annual passes will cap at Flex so they can control attendance and wipe out free parking.
                              If they wipe out free parking for good, I'm gone. I think it would not be smart on their part--it encourages more Signature pass sales, and more visits--therefore more food, drink and merchandise sales. This adds up if most visitors are APers, as some have predicted most guests will be at Disneyland. I also don't think discouraging visits by APers does anything to make more hotel guests come, especially since attendance will be limited so overcrowding should not be an issue. I know Simba is free now, but I don't know when that will change, or when M and F will open again.

I guess every idea is on the table until they open and make final decisions. I just really don't like eliminating free parking. I think they will give a lot of discounts, which I believe they did in WDW, but not really reduce the prices. I've also read here they they are going to limit passes, but I don't know if that was rumor or fact.

Comment

I think they'll continue to maximize profits by raising prices, reducing offerings and shortchanging AP refunds -- effectively trading short-term profits for the long-term risk of making the DLR brand synonymous with "bad value."
                                Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-08-2020, 07:34 AM.
                                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                                  Yup, you're missing something. WDW's ticket prices vary greatly from day to day and season to season, much more than DL's 'tiers' do. Right now they're in 'peak season' (and will be for the rest of the year) so the 'cheapest' 2020 price currently available is $120.00 for 1 day. The '$109 for 2021' is giving the price for the cheapest 'off season' day, which is actually the same price as the cheapest 'off season' ticket was in 2020. So there's no actual decrease for 2021, there are just no tickets currently available at the 'off season' price since we're in peak season through the end of December. Clear as mud?

As far as DL reducing ticket prices, never in a 1000 years. They'd see it as a slippery slope in which many people might 'put off' buying tickets or planning vacations hoping (or demanding) the prices will go down, just as now people hop online and buy tickets/APs when there are rumors of a price increase. I can't see them increasing prices right away once they're able to open due to potential bad PR but I think we'll see much higher increases over the next 3-5 years as they try to 'recoup' long term.
                                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I think they may offer deals if these restrictions continue well into 2021. Especially if they have trouble filling the park to whatever their state imposed capacity is with APs in the summer. But if restrictions of any kind continue long-term into 2022 they will eventually start getting hammered in the press for their prices which could be a problem. But I don't think Disney has ever reduced prices, but then again, they have never been closed this long either.

Comment

Originally posted by pattimarie View Post

If they wipe out free parking for good, I'm gone. I think it would not be smart on their part--it encourages more Signature pass sales, and more visits--therefore more food, drink and merchandise sales. This adds up if most visitors are APers, as some have predicted most guests will be at Disneyland. I also don't think discouraging visits by APers does anything to make more hotel guests come, especially since attendance will be limited so overcrowding should not be an issue. I know Simba is free now, but I don't know when that will change, or when M and F will open again.

I guess every idea is on the table until they open and make final decisions. I just really don't like eliminating free parking. I think they will give a lot of discounts, which I believe they did in WDW, but not really reduce the prices. I've also read here they they are going to limit passes, but I don't know if that was rumor or fact.
                                      Oh, I'm with you. I love the free parking and it was good for them because we went every week without having to worry about parking. We always ate there so they made money anyway, but we felt we were getting better value. I'm just bitter over my missing refund so I guess I predicted something I perceive as extra greedy. You are probably right that they'd not be that foolish. Like you, we wouldn't re-up our passes without parking.
                                      "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

IMO
                                        Disney parks
                                        It's going be a matter of worth.................price increase in all area.....
                                        and reducing offerings ...... No Reduced Prices!
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X