Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you see Disneyland reducing their prices?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jish5555
    replied
    The economy basically. If the parks aren't getting enough revenue to keep up with costs, and laying off employees doesn't work either, they'll start cutting prices little by little until they start seeing enough revenue return. Once they feel comfortable enough, they'll go back to increasing prices. Another reason is if they raise prices to a state people are refusing to pay that forces Disney to go back down, and with how the economies been the last decade, Disney's reaching a point that they're outpricing what most can afford, and that in turn will push Disney to start reducing prices so as to keep up with the masses.

Leave a comment:

• Bubu
    replied
    In a word. "no". They have stockholders to make happy.

Leave a comment:

• pattimarie
    replied
    The one thing I'm really sure of, is if we ever go back to "normal" and have a vaccine and they go back to full 100% operations (entertainment and all)--they will definitely raise prices. Maybe a lot. At that point I'm not sure I can blame them--they need to make up for a lot of losses. I do blame them for how they're handling it now--the missing refunds for people who paid full price, lack of spots for APers in WDW, etc. Not cool.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Benny View Post
    Like 2001, if demand drops, they'll lower the prices to entice people in... but this covid is an entirely different animal. Only if the demand is down. I can als also see them going up in price if they have less capacity but high demand.

I've been an avid DL theme park fan for years... but with two little ones I have absolutely no interest in taking them... even to the reopened WDW until this virus is under control with vaccines. My kids aren't worth the risk of trading their security for fun.
    I agree with your wisdom -
    But....... would say I not for ,risking of trading security for any one......for fun.
    There are needs-and there are wants......IMO = Theme Parks are wants -not needs.......

I also feel once Disneyland Resort opens......(When ever the date is )
    Disney will rise the price ,on all admission !
    Last edited by Eagleman; 10-10-2020, 08:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Like 2001, if demand drops, they'll lower the prices to entice people in... but this covid is an entirely different animal. Only if the demand is down. I can als also see them going up in price if they have less capacity but high demand.

I've been an avid DL theme park fan for years... but with two little ones I have absolutely no interest in taking them... even to the reopened WDW until this virus is under control with vaccines. My kids aren't worth the risk of trading their security for fun.

Leave a comment:

• tarheelalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr_IvanStark View Post
    For awhile I thought they were raising prices because of corporate greed. Then I thought it was to try to avoid over crowding. I don’t really now anymore.
    It was always greed. AP price increases make crowding much worse. People go more to justify the price to get their moneys worth.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_IvanStark
    replied
    For awhile I thought they were raising prices because of corporate greed. Then I thought it was to try to avoid over crowding. I don’t really now anymore.

Leave a comment:

• pattimarie
    replied
    Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
    I think they may offer deals if these restrictions continue well into 2021. Especially if they have trouble filling the park to whatever their state imposed capacity is with APs in the summer. But if restrictions of any kind continue long-term into 2022 they will eventually start getting hammered in the press for their prices which could be a problem. But I don't think Disney has ever reduced prices, but then again, they have never been closed this long either.
    They reduced price passes in 2001--after 9/11. I think it extended into 2002. They lowered the pass I was getting about 200 dollars as I recall--that's pretty significant. I was a lot poorer in 2001, so it was a blessing. I believe day ticket prices went down too. I still felt that the park was as busy as before when I went, but apparently the out-of-state and out-of-country visitors became scarce. Similar to now, the ones who had to fly hesitated after what happened. Disney also would have known how many cancelled future bookings, so it scared them into lower prices. It points out why having a large base of local supporters is important. I think after 2001 was when the pass program bumped up a bit--and by 2005 the park became (over)crowded again. Maybe 9/11 taught them that they needed locals. As far as passes go, it's the only time I've seen them lower prices without it being some kind of deal. You'd think a pandemic and opening with less value to the experience might bring on lower prices--but this time I don't see it happening. Whole different management now, and the lingering effects of when the park was family run and businesses were in general "nicer"--when the magic really seemed to live there, are long gone. If business concerns dictate it, then prices might be lowered--but I wouldn't count on it. As some have said, today's Disney steps over a dollar to get a dime. I would expect deals of some kind, but no straight price drop--at least not at Disneyland where there are a lot of locals who I believe will show up if it opens. At least in the beginning.

Leave a comment:

• rld275501
    replied
    If this isn't true, what world am I living in when airlines reduce fees, and DISNEY increases them?

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied
    Good question, Captain Andy! And the response of Disney executives to your question appears at exactly on minute into this video linked below, though watching the first minute will make it clearer. Note the entrance of Francis--arguably the best entrance of any character in the history of film. (Congrats to the costume designer--initials monogramed onto a slightly tight jumpsuit!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfeLsPRl3so

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    IMO
    Disney parks
    It's going be a matter of worth.................price increase in all area.....
    and reducing offerings ...... No Reduced Prices!

Leave a comment:

• Sun Bonnet
    replied
    Originally posted by pattimarie View Post

If they wipe out free parking for good, I'm gone. I think it would not be smart on their part--it encourages more Signature pass sales, and more visits--therefore more food, drink and merchandise sales. This adds up if most visitors are APers, as some have predicted most guests will be at Disneyland. I also don't think discouraging visits by APers does anything to make more hotel guests come, especially since attendance will be limited so overcrowding should not be an issue. I know Simba is free now, but I don't know when that will change, or when M and F will open again.

I guess every idea is on the table until they open and make final decisions. I just really don't like eliminating free parking. I think they will give a lot of discounts, which I believe they did in WDW, but not really reduce the prices. I've also read here they they are going to limit passes, but I don't know if that was rumor or fact.
    Oh, I'm with you. I love the free parking and it was good for them because we went every week without having to worry about parking. We always ate there so they made money anyway, but we felt we were getting better value. I'm just bitter over my missing refund so I guess I predicted something I perceive as extra greedy. You are probably right that they'd not be that foolish. Like you, we wouldn't re-up our passes without parking.

Leave a comment:

• tarheelalum
    replied
    I think they may offer deals if these restrictions continue well into 2021. Especially if they have trouble filling the park to whatever their state imposed capacity is with APs in the summer. But if restrictions of any kind continue long-term into 2022 they will eventually start getting hammered in the press for their prices which could be a problem. But I don't think Disney has ever reduced prices, but then again, they have never been closed this long either.

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied
    Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
    I kind of laughed at the idea of them lowering prices, but then, according to the official WDW site, prices are $120 a day for 2020, and $109 for 2021??!! And they hint that park hopping may return in late March. Maybe someone else can check the link to see if I'm missing something:
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/admission/tickets/
    Yup, you're missing something. WDW's ticket prices vary greatly from day to day and season to season, much more than DL's 'tiers' do. Right now they're in 'peak season' (and will be for the rest of the year) so the 'cheapest' 2020 price currently available is $120.00 for 1 day. The '$109 for 2021' is giving the price for the cheapest 'off season' day, which is actually the same price as the cheapest 'off season' ticket was in 2020. So there's no actual decrease for 2021, there are just no tickets currently available at the 'off season' price since we're in peak season through the end of December. Clear as mud?

As far as DL reducing ticket prices, never in a 1000 years. They'd see it as a slippery slope in which many people might 'put off' buying tickets or planning vacations hoping (or demanding) the prices will go down, just as now people hop online and buy tickets/APs when there are rumors of a price increase. I can't see them increasing prices right away once they're able to open due to potential bad PR but I think we'll see much higher increases over the next 3-5 years as they try to 'recoup' long term.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    I think they'll continue to maximize profits by raising prices, reducing offerings and shortchanging AP refunds -- effectively trading short-term profits for the long-term risk of making the DLR brand synonymous with "bad value."
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-08-2020, 07:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pattimarie
    replied
    Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
    I don't think they will lower ticket prices either. I think they will be a mostly APers park for quite some time so they may actually raise food and drink prices to compensate for less ticket sales. I think they will have no problem filling their daily allowable entries, whether it's 25% or 80% so no price drop is needed. Unfortunately, I also think annual passes will cap at Flex so they can control attendance and wipe out free parking.
    If they wipe out free parking for good, I'm gone. I think it would not be smart on their part--it encourages more Signature pass sales, and more visits--therefore more food, drink and merchandise sales. This adds up if most visitors are APers, as some have predicted most guests will be at Disneyland. I also don't think discouraging visits by APers does anything to make more hotel guests come, especially since attendance will be limited so overcrowding should not be an issue. I know Simba is free now, but I don't know when that will change, or when M and F will open again.

I guess every idea is on the table until they open and make final decisions. I just really don't like eliminating free parking. I think they will give a lot of discounts, which I believe they did in WDW, but not really reduce the prices. I've also read here they they are going to limit passes, but I don't know if that was rumor or fact.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
    I kind of laughed at the idea of them lowering prices, but then, according to the official WDW site, prices are $120 a day for 2020, and $109 for 2021??!! And they hint that park hopping may return in late March. Maybe someone else can check the link to see if I'm missing something:
    It came to me in a dream. You're welcome.

I'm kidding, of course, but today I was having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around Disney practically scamming their customers, especially in California. @Jesser-pie's mention of deals makes the most sense. I just don't see Disney getting by with their current prices without intense scrutiny, or backlash. Even now we're all baffled that Disney is trying to open as semi-operational just to keep their prices as high as they are.

How long could they actually keep these prices up? A lot of families don't have the money to visit anymore, and if they did, why would they want to visit a theme park without the full Disney experience? I predict their prices are going to be tested. There's nowhere to go but down at this point.

Of course, this is my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if the prices didn't change, but I would quietly judge from afar.

Leave a comment:

• 9oldmen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    ~~~~~NO~~~~~I don't see Disney lowering their prices
    I do see them ......... raising -Price Admission - as well Food & Drinks
    as well store Items .......also Parking..........IMO

Leave a comment:

• Lighthope
    replied
    Given that Disneyland would have limited capacity, and given that people are very likely going to climb the walls to get in, there is no need for Disney to lower prices.

Heck, I would expect a price increase.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X