Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Disney’s Developing a SPACE MOUNTAIN Live-Action Film

'Space Mountain' Movie in the Works With 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' Writer (Exclusive)
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...iter-exclusive

The venerable ride is getting the movie treatment, with the studio hiring Joby Harold, who has worked a range of movies from Zack Snyder’s upcoming Army of the Dead to Warner’s King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, to write the script for what is to be a live-action adaptation.

Logline details are being kept hidden amidst the rings of Saturn but it is described as a family adventure.

The project, which is in the early stages, is intended for theatrical release.

My reaction (live):

Click image for larger version  Name:	skynews-drew-scanlon-blinking-white-guy_4786055.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	8627245

Comment

(Michael Eisner reading the news)

Eisner: "Now why didn't I think about that?!"

Either Chapek never rode the ride, and doesn't know there is only a flimsy story with the ride

OR

Chapek is demanding that more "Disney" needs to be added to Disney products and Disney IPs

By the way, when is the Big Thunder TV Show going to premiere again?

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	double-facepalm-because-one-facepalm-just-isnt-enough.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	8627255
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Hmmmm. The vague storyline from Space Station 77 isn't the problem... IMO, it's the possibility that characters will invade à la POTC. although, I can't see this happening any time soon.
          As part of a Public Service Announcement...
          Guardians Of The Galaxy
          Mission: Breakout
          ...is abbreviated like this
          GOTG M:B
          The colon is placed after the "M", not before it.
          That is all. 😉

Comment

I was soooooo close!!!!!

Monorail - The Motion Picture
            https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/disney-theme-park-news-and-discussion/disneyland-resort/8627023-monorail-the-motion-picture

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
              Click image for larger version Name:	double-facepalm-because-one-facepalm-just-isnt-enough.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	8627255
              Add Another "FACEPALM" to list
              and more EYE's Rolling
              Disney IPs?
              "SPACE MOUNTAIN" Movie = spare me...........((()))............... !
              Last edited by Eagleman; 10-09-2020, 09:44 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by JayRomy View Post
                Hmmmm. The vague storyline from Space Station 77 isn't the problem... IMO, it's the possibility that characters will invade à la POTC. although, I can't see this happening any time soon.
                Only and only if the movie actually comes to fruition and doesn't bomb at the box office.

Comment

Why ?
                  I have this bad feeling , this Space Mountain Movie
                  going be another "TOMORROWLAND"...Movie........? lol

"IMO and my Prediction"

Last edited by Eagleman; 10-09-2020, 08:24 PM.
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Of course this needs to feature Eddie Murphy reprising Pluto Nash.

Comment

Wait... no Chevy Chase?

Click image for larger version

Name:	picture-6.png
Views:	626
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	8627269

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Max Landis had a go at Space Mountain back in 2012. I’m doing a copy/paste from another article which has an interview from Landis discussing the project. Hopefully I’m not breaking any forum rules by doing this. If so, that wasn’t my intention. See below:

Screenwriter Max Landis sold a script to Disney back in 2012 for a Space Mountain film. Unfortunately, Disney halted production on the film when they purchased Lucasfilm and started filming “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”instead.

Landis, known for writing films like “Chronicle” and “Victor Frankenstein,” recently shared some information about his Space Mountain script.

“My Space Mountain movie was cool. It was a ’50s retro future movie,” Landis said. “They had rocket ships and ray guns but no cell phones and internet.”

Landis actually planned to keep the film very close to the concept of the attraction, with the characters using rocket ships on rollercoaster tracks to travel at light speed.

“Another cool thing was the idea that when you come back from light speed, you’re nine and a half grams lighter but you seem normal. Then slowly over the course of a day, it turns out that the human soul can’t travel at light speed,” Landis said. “So whole ships come back with people with no souls who seem normal but then turn into horrible monsters.”

Comment

I really don't know what to think of this. The ride itself has such little story, so there's a lot they can do, but Disney's live action track record hasn't been to good recently. I hope they won't alter the ride too much with movie stuff when it's all done.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowTugStrap View Post
                            I really don't know what to think of this. The ride itself has such little story, so there's a lot they can do, but Disney's live action track record hasn't been to good recently. I hope they won't alter the ride too much with movie stuff when it's all done.
                            IMHO, Disney's live action features* never had a good track record, ever. Disney main studios' forte was and will remain, animation. Even the live action features that were successful, relied on animation in some capacity, like Mary Poppins or Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

*Films that were not made with another studio, like Lucasfilm or Marvel

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                              IMHO, Disney's live action features* never had a good track record, ever. Disney main studios' forte was and will remain, animation. Even the live action features that were successful, relied on animation in some capacity, like Mary Poppins or Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

That's definitely true of the post-Walt live action features. But Walt-era films like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, The Absent-Minded Professor and Parent Trap were hits in their day. Even B-movies like Darby O'Gill and the Little People and Third Man on the Mountain did well at the box office.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Disney-Today-Leadership
                                Has "NO" Imagination !..............Live Action Features

All they doing is Branding = like a cattle drive , and just stepping into Cow Pies
                                IMO
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

But don't all of Disney live action films rely on animation in some capacity since [insert year here]?? If using POTC as an example or the Depp version of Alice, "ever" is pretty extreme. However, if you mean traditional animation, I'd have to agree.
                                  As part of a Public Service Announcement...
                                  Guardians Of The Galaxy
                                  Mission: Breakout
                                  ...is abbreviated like this
                                  GOTG M:B
                                  The colon is placed after the "M", not before it.
                                  That is all. 😉

Comment

Cosign. Aside from a few of the Robert Stevenson projects and maybe a couple others, the studio never made great live action films ... a poor record that continues to this day.

As far as Space Mountain The Movie, my initial gut reaction is the same as anyone else here: stomach churns and eye rolls. But upon further reflection, a successful IP is probably the only way the Chapek regime would even consider a new Tomorrowland, so..... maybe this could be the catalyst? Tomorrowland (the movie) bombed, so a Space Mountain movie may be our last hope for a revamped land within a decade. Because of how bad the land has gotten, and will continue to devolve if the subs leave, that's a deal with the devil I would maybe take.

Comment

I'd rather see Disney make films based on rides with little or no storyline than to have them rewrite/rework/undermine a ride with a strong storyline and chance wrecking it with a potentially bad film. Pirates is the exception. The films are fun and for the most part they introduction of the movie characters has not destroyed the ride thet were based on. But I seriously doubt Disney would be so successful adapting any other attraction with a strong, established storyline. I don't want to see another Haunted Mansion movie, I have zero interest in seeing the Jungle Cruise film, however a film based around Space Mountain could be interesting.

(Hey, if Disney did a live-action film of Adventure Thru Inner Space could I have my favorite ride back?)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                        That's definitely true of the post-Walt live action features. But Walt-era films like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, The Absent-Minded Professor and Parent Trap were hits in their day. Even B-movies like Darby O'Gill and the Little People and Third Man on the Mountain did well at the box office.
                                        True, it's only once the late 60s and the ratings board appeared and Disney insisted on sticking to G-rated movies that they lost mainstream relevance in live-action filmmaking, essentially until Touchstone/Splash in the mid-80s, despite their attempts at making PG-rated movies in the early 80s.

​​​​
                                        Originally posted by moviemike View Post
                                        “Another cool thing was the idea that when you come back from light speed, you’re nine and a half grams lighter but you seem normal. Then slowly over the course of a day, it turns out that the human soul can’t travel at light speed,” Landis said. “So whole ships come back with people with no souls who seem normal but then turn into horrible monsters."
                                        So a Disney ride turns people into "horrible monsters." This could go a long way to explaining bad behavior in the parks...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X