• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Waiting in line 3 hours to get into DTD.........for ?
    I for one Don't Understand lot of things...........For many months now

Leave a comment:

• Sun Bonnet
    MiceChatter

• Sun Bonnet
    replied
    I just read today's MC Disneyland Update and seeing photos of people waiting in line 3 hours to get into DTD had me saying basically the same thing, "What? Why? Do they know they can go to shopDisney?" This weekend was HOT. Why anyone would subject themselves to that... I don't understand it.

Leave a comment:

• wingednike
    New MiceChatter

• wingednike
    replied
    Disney has built itself on nostalgia for generations and that's what keeps people going. Even if things are not the same, that whiff of comfort is enough to get people craving it.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorro View Post

Very true, but I will point out that as a millennial that I had teachers in the 1990s still showing those Jiminy Cricket educational videos on both 16mm and VHS. Those films definitely had a long shelf life.
    I sure re-call them......and they was great growing with !
    Specially at school ,which gave a break from the norm ...............

Leave a comment:

• Zorro
    Fox so cunning and free!

• Zorro
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    One of the giveaways you're a Baby Boomer is that you remember the Jiminy Cricket "I'm No Fool" song.
    Very true, but I will point out that as a millennial that I had teachers in the 1990s still showing those Jiminy Cricket educational videos on both 16mm and VHS. Those films definitely had a long shelf life.

Leave a comment:

• Spalding
    MiceChatter

• Spalding
    replied
    You could ask the same question of 'why' pre-pandemic, as the quality/value of the Disney park experience has felt like it has declined over the last decade due to a number of issues ranging from overcrowding, high prices, over commercialization, and poor creative decisions. As a Washingtonian, I am very jealous of the locals that can drop by the park casually during non-busy times and enjoy things little at a time, all through a economical AP purchase.

I'd guess nostalgia plays a big role. COVID-19 also seems to have created a bigger gap between the poor and middle/upper classes, with the service industry taking on most of the economic burden while middle and upper class type work continues to operate (a lot from home) and has accumulated a lot of savings from forgoing travel last spring/summer.

One final point as to "why" so many people at WDW are settling for a lesser experience. While the wait times have gone up and there are limited options, many people on forums/message boards/groups have provided a lot of positive reviews and that the posted wait times for attractions are misleading.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    One of the giveaways you're a Baby Boomer is that you remember the Jiminy Cricket "I'm No Fool" song.
    Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
    What better time to reboot Jiminy "I'm no fool" episodes than now for Covid safety.
    "They can show it in the parks Preview- Theatre"
    lol
    I still ,can wait............​..................

It would go well on Disney Plus........
    Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky
    Last edited by Eagleman; 10-13-2020, 10:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• J. Thaddeus Toad
    MiceChatter

• J. Thaddeus Toad
    replied
    What better time to reboot Jiminy "I'm no fool" episodes than now for Covid safety.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied

Leave a comment:

• J. Thaddeus Toad
    MiceChatter

• J. Thaddeus Toad
    replied
    Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
    Jiminy Cricket said it best for me: "I want to live to be 103".
    Love it

Leave a comment:

• pattimarie
    Zippity Doo Dah!

• pattimarie
    replied
    Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    This post is not about the pandemic, so don't make it about that.

I wanted to post this in the WDW section, but the same questions apply to DL once it opens.

Do you have the WDW app on your phone? If you do, have you checked the attraction wait times? They seem pretty high for October...any October.

Have you seen social media posts that show how long the lines are? Sure, a lot of that is because indoor queues are being eliminated. That being said, is standing outside in the direct sunlight, heat, and humidity your idea of a good time?

Have you checked the operating hours? They seem to be less than usual for October.

Have you checked the entertainment? There are no parades. There are no character meet-and-greets. There are no fireworks. The typical entertainment is not there.

Have you checked the restaurants? Are they all open? Can you get a reservation? What are the wait times to order and get your food? Are they typical, or are there more delays than usual?

Have ticket prices been reduced?

Does it cost less to park?

Are the on-property hotel rates heavily discounted because many amenities are not available?

Is the cost of a churro less than it was a year ago?

I want to go to Disneyland. I would love to go to Walt Disney World. I understand why people want to go. I really do. That being said, even if I completely ignore the pandemic, I just can't justify a trip. I mean, why would I spend the same amount of money for a vastly diminished, inferior experience? I don't get it. I honestly don't get it.

So, let's get to the title of this thread. "Why? No, really. Just...why?" Why are people willing to pay the same amount of money for a severely limited experience? I can understand if you are local and you have an AP. I get that. Your answer is, "because I paid for it." Again, forget the pandemic. This thread should not be about that.

If Disneyland opened tomorrow, and you did NOT have an AP and you could get a reservation, would you go? If so, why? What allows you to justify paying pre-pandemic prices for a pandemic-diminished experience?

Do NOT include health concerns in your reply. I simply want to know why people are willing to pay so much for so little.

When Disneyland opens I foresee outrageously large crowds, insane wait times, no entertainment, limited food availability, and a pretty miserable experience overall. Why are people so eager for this? I truly don't get it.
    Well, I'm a pass member, so I used to go often and every visit is not about rides or even entertainment. Many are, though, and I don't expect to have a good experience in that regard for a least a year. Maybe more. Let's say there was no virus. If they ran it the way they are running it now (like WDW, I mean), I could go and eat and shop and it would be like a lot of times I go. Except maybe less busy. But the thing is, I wouldn't own a pass if not for the whole experience. I wouldn't pay for a full priced ticket. So I see why passholders are going, and I guess those who are paying the premium price are just people who have a lot of FOMO. Sometimes you splurge even when you shouldn't.

pattimarie
    Zippity Doo Dah!
    Last edited by pattimarie; 10-13-2020, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
    Jiminy Cricket said it best for me: "I want to live to be 103". Those places and events that I looked forward to have taken a back seat...me and daughter can wait...and it will be well worth the wait...
    Right=......worth the wait....

Leave a comment:

• bayouguy
    Bayou Native

• bayouguy
    replied
    Jiminy Cricket said it best for me: "I want to live to be 103". Those places and events that I looked forward to have taken a back seat...me and daughter can wait...and it will be well worth the wait...

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    I can wait it out for a -Long-Long-While.
    I rather go when it safe........and enjoy the place.
    IMO....this not the time..........

Leave a comment:

• ANadventureTime
    New MiceChatter

• ANadventureTime
    replied
    we leave to WDW this week and I dont care about any of this. I know the lines are longer due to social distancing, im fine w it. I just need to hear the music, smell the churros thru my mask and get on a damn ride. Need some magic in my life, not focused on what we dont have at the parks...focusing on what we do have! #positive

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    Chief Troublemaker

• Stormy
    replied
    If Disneyland opened tomorrow, and you did NOT have an AP and you could get a reservation, would you go? If so, why? What allows you to justify paying pre-pandemic prices for a pandemic-diminished experience?

As others have said, it's all about escape and getting to our 'Happy Place'. It's about 'replenishing one's spirit'.

The experience wouldn't be terribly diminished for me as long as all my fav attractions were open. I'm all about the attractions. Don't give a rat's patootie for shows, parades, and the like. Dining isn't a biggie for me either, I have Celiac so no churros, bakery items, or cupcakes for me.

And I remember very well the days before Fast Pass so waiting in a line is something I'd put up with too.

Leave a comment:

• tarheelalum
    Mice chatter

• tarheelalum
    replied
    People are desperate for their Disney fix. Even if it is watered down and overpriced. But the real question is after the initial surge of customers, will the crowds die like after Galaxy's Edge opened. Will people get tired of the poor product the same way they did with Galaxy's Edge. Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• Mike_M
    MiceChatter

• Mike_M
    replied
    I think part of this is understanding that not all guests take advantage of, or even go to the parks for all of the entertainment or dining offerings.

I will preface this by saying it’s unlikely that I will be returning to any Disney park earlier than 2022. I love DL, but I do take a couple years off every now and again to bring a little unfamiliarity back to my trips. That was actually something I planned pre-COVID. My hope is that by then, the world and DL will be much closer to ”normal”.

As my kids have grown older, some of the offerings in the park are not large draws for me anymore. I’ve never been much of a parade watcher, nor do I find a need any longer to make time to find a place to stand for F! or fireworks in my trips. I have never watched WoC, or seen any stage show in the FL theater. These entertainment options are not why I go to the park and to be honest, mostly interfere with my idea of how theming is maintained in each land where they are shown. I do enjoy the roaming entertainment which is more often than not properly themed to where it’s happening (The Dapper Dans on Main St, Tianna singing jazz in NOS, the Royal St. Bachelors playing sets in the French Market, etc...) but have gone enough times during non peak periods that did not feature much entertainment at all, to not feel like I’m having a bad trip because of light or absent live entertainment.

Dining is also not a huge draw overall. I do make a point of having a meal at least once per trip in the Blue Bayou, and I’ve started making one breakfast at the Carnation Cafe a tradition as well, but the remainder of my meals are all enjoyably had at the counter service restaurants.

All of that said, having no parades, shows or formal dining options at WDW would not be a detractor for someone like me at all, and in some ways, would be preferable.

Now, all day face masks (I agree with the need, but I have a beard and after a while, they get way too uncomfortable for me to ignore) queuing changes that detract from some or all of the details that make a queue actually enjoyable to be in, and the need to reserve park entry, which for me reduces spontaneity, are definitely detractors and would be the parts that actually reduce the value offered to me. Perhaps though, there are people out there that are ok with that as well.

I can see the traditional escapism normally provided by a Disney trip to be a powerful draw in times like this. I get excited just making a bi-weekly trip to the grocery store because it’s something different than my home which I rarely leave right now. Stepping foot into DL, even a reduced experience DL right now would be a welcome change of scenery.

I may have rambled on a bit in this post, but to sum it up, I’ll say this:

Most of us look to Disney park trips as an escape from the day to day monotony of our regular lives. I’d be willing to bet that even with the reductions in entertainment/dining and the operational changes in place to increase safety, many people will still experience that escapism which is what the true value of the trips are for them. Escaping their house or their town may be what helps them make it through the rest of this pandemic with most of their sanity still in place. In that case, the cost is probably justifiable for them.
    Mike_M
    MiceChatter
    Last edited by Mike_M; 10-12-2020, 05:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Blurr
    Fastest Bot in the Galaxy

• Blurr
    replied
    I would pay to go tomorrow if it opened, pandemic or not. I have simple answer, one that not many will agree with so I’m sorry if it frustrates people but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

The park makes me happy and it has the Haunted Mansion. I am assuming it to be open if we are talking about an imaginary, post-pandemic world.

As a local, I can access and have a pass but for the sake of discussion, I’ll pretend to not have access to that option.

Price may affect my ability to visit as often as I’d like, but as long as the Mansion stands in the park, I will be there. A trip through those haunted halls, I will pay nearly any price for, even if I only get to do so once or twice a year. Yes, I love the attraction this much and it has had that level of effect on my life (both as a fan and a former CM working it).

-and that’s just the one attraction existing in a vacuum. There would be others open that I love, too. -and my wife. Plenty of them, even though not everything would be there, admittedly.

I have tons of CM friends and I love the company. I would go tomorrow and spend money to support them and the company. I love the food options found around the park that I can’t get elsewhere but also, (-and I hate to be a downer here) it is one of the few places and things left in this world that makes me happy.

Life is tough and to be blunt, over the past few years I’ve had effectively all hopes and dreams dashed and have been trying to find myself again. But in the parks, all my troubles disappear for a few hours and remind me of the way things can be in the world. My time there reminds me of good times that have come and gone, let me escape from present reality and it gives me hope for future. Being there gives me a mental boost to keep going and reminds me that things are going to be alright, more than any other place or thing in the world can do to me given my connection and history with the park.

I’m rambling now. But hopefully some of that makes sense. It has my favorite attractions that are worth any amount for me to visit (so long as they’re there), I love my friends and the company in general and want to support them both and it honestly makes me happy in ways that other things cannot. Would I reach a breaking point in price for that? I would. But I’m not there yet.

I see the price and diminished experience that is coming soon. I do. But it isn’t enough to scare me away, yet. What I feel when I step through the gates is still worth it to me and it’s going to take a lot more to scare me away for good. I’m not saying it’s impossible but I’m not there yet. There’s more to life than Disneyland, I understand this notion, too. -and I partake in other things that make me happy in life, but nothing is quite like the parks (heck, most of the time I’m here posting it’s during my work days because I’d rather be discussing these parks than focusing on the literal, soul-draining job I’m paid to do).

-and while I can’t speak for others, maybe the reason the lines are so long and people are willing to pay the same for less, is because they’re looking for an escape from reality during these trying times. Things haven’t been easy for anyone this year (unless you’re a toilet paper or hand sanitizer company), so a little bit of happiness or escape from the horrors of reality is something folks are willing to pay to experience. Even if it’s neutered in multiple ways.

Sure, there are other avenues one could go down for that. But everyone has their own opinions about matters to them. Folks can’t speak for others and certainly shouldn’t judge them for what they like or what they feel makes them happy. For some, simple camping trip might be enough. Folks of that mindset will never understand why someone would want to pay hundreds for a less than perfect Disney trip. But they don’t need to be convinced. All that matters is the second person finding the right balance between value and happiness. Maybe their decision will confuse you. But that’s fine, if it honesty makes them happy and they have the money to spend for it, let them be happy. We can’t see into the minds of others and their experiences, who they are and what things like these parks mean to them.

Some may never understand them, but again, that’s fine. You don’t need to. Let them be themselves and have their happiness and you make whatever decisions make you happiest, too. Humans are emotional creatures yet we’re always seeking to fully understand things and apply logic to every little decision others make. But having emotions inherently means there will always be a degree of logic lost and replaced with feeling. -and I think that’s just fine.

I hope each and everyone reading this is finding whatever way they can to keep themselves happy during these times. Much love to you all.

EDIT: An analogy of this I experienced last night; I went to a Japanese steak house. I’ve had Kobe beef before, it’s obviously incredible. But 8oz of it was $160 dollars. Now, that price for that small amount is worth it to many. For those people, I am happy. Yes, it tastes incredible to me too but not enough for me to pay that price. But if it makes others happy, have at it, no judgement from me. I enjoyed my blackened Salmon and fried rice, and they’re free to enjoy their Kobe beef, which I’ll never fully understand logically why others feel is worth the asking price. -and that’s okay!
    Blurr
    Fastest Bot in the Galaxy
    Last edited by Blurr; 10-11-2020, 10:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied

This.
    Thanks

You the person............that told me -Why-?
    I could not find a Park Bench ,to get off my feet to rest........
    Leadership at Disney Today-took most of them out from the parks.......
    They Want there Guest walk and shop ~~lol
    talk about another "Diminished Experience"

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X