• Show
Clear All

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

You got a point.......
    I grew up with Disneyland most of my life
    only 30 min's away.........
    The way the resort is run Today, from the ways I grew up.......
    It took time to realize.........there is fest different
    " Not the SAME nor longer" the way they run by Today Leadership.

Such as diminished experience and I find it Sad as Well !
    IMO
    This.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by micromind View Post
    I wonder how many people go there expecting things to be as they were and are surprised when they're quite different than what they're used to.
    You got a point.......
    I grew up with Disneyland most of my life
    only 30 min's away.........
    The way the resort is run Today, from the ways I grew up.......
    It took time to realize.........there is fest different
    " Not the SAME nor longer" the way they run by Today Leadership.

Such as diminished experience and I find it Sad as Well !
    IMO
    Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky
    Last edited by Eagleman; 10-11-2020, 08:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• micromind
    world class bilge rat

• micromind
    replied
    I wonder how many people go there expecting things to be as they were and are surprised when they're quite different than what they're used to.

Leave a comment:

• ChipmunkCheeks
    Chipmunk

• ChipmunkCheeks
    replied
    I think a lot of people have just adjusted to this as a "new normal". Pretty much every outing is a diminished experience now. I went to the mall last weekend and had to wait in a line to enter each store. You can't try on clothes anymore. IKEA has a longer queue than the Matterhorn on Christmas Eve. Supermarkets still have limits on the number of cleaning products you can buy. Every movie theater in my area is still closed. Bars and restaurants have tables set up on the sidewalk or in the parking lot. Why pay to eat dinner in a parking lot? People just want to get out and do stuff however they can and try to make the best of it.
    To be sure, it's not going to be "worth it" to everyone. But enough people are willing buy a ticket and just enjoy the day with their family at a beautiful park with a castle, because even a sub-par experience at Disney World beats sitting at home.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Disney Experience has diminished-IMO
    So I ask same questions.........Why are people so eager for this ?
    Matter of Worth...........

Leave a comment:

• Golden Zephyr
    Mice Chatter

• Golden Zephyr
    replied
    PhotoMatt We currently have Signature+ passes for Disneyland and live locally in Newport Coast. So it's easy and convenient to get to the parks and Downtown Disney. Our family loves the parks but we would not go under the current circumstances right now. For out of town family It just isn't worth it and it's not because cost is an issue. Friends and neighbors have expressed a similar sentiment, the experience is diminished and uncertain at this time.

We will wait until things are clearer before going back to the parks. Honestly it's painful to think about all the hard working CMs who have lost their jobs in this crisis.

​​​​​​​We are going to wait it out for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Andy
    A Brave Little Tailor

• Captain Andy
    replied
    A lot of my friends on Facebook (not close friends, just... you know, old high school mates and college acquaintances) have been posting their trips to Disney World. From an outsider's perspective, everything looks normal, masks included. It's weird how masks are the new normal. I think that's a good thing, but it also shows how much has changed.

I agree with J. Thaddeus Toad that it's escapism. Paying top dollar to get away makes sense, especially when a lot of people have saved money from not driving anywhere, not going out... A lot of my acquaintances and even friends in Los Angeles (who are traveling to other states) are also saying it's for their mental health. A lot of people are very very sad (myself included), and they're trying to find ways to cope (I got into hiking per the recommendation of my doctor. It's fine). I think those who pay to go to Disney World are wrestling with this feeling of isolation in some capacity.

I won't lie. The more I see people out there in places like Florida and Texas living life like normal, the more confused and sad I feel. It's this feeling of missing out. Maybe that's part of it as well.

I'm not one of those people who would drop money for a ticket to Disney World for a "semi-operational" experience. Nor would I go because I think I would feel guilty given the current circumstances of the world, but those are my thoughts on why people would spend so much for what's offered.

Leave a comment:

• brian11811
    MiceChatter

• brian11811
    replied
    I think (thinking as a local - if I were one), I think going back would be a return to normalcy and a soothing thing, even if it sucked (like NYE crowds or whatever). For someone with a young kid, visiting soon might be so they have the experience (I can wait a year or 2, for my 2 year old). For me I will not go back until there is a vaccine or reliable therapeutics and a better understanding on the pandemic. But I might just be OCD.

I feel like we can hold out a few more months in order to have a safer real return to normal.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoMatt
    replied
    I think Downtown Disney is so packed because it's free, and people are desperate to get out and do something...anything other than sit at home. I completely agree that people are desperate to get back to some sense of normalcy, and I completely understand the crowds there. The thing is, going is free. You only pay for what you eat or purchase, and you usually don't spend all day there.

I can see your point about the rides. If your main priority is the rides, then I can understand why you would go. I can understand that some people find value in the rides, even if it does cost over $100 to get in. Again, I already understand why passholders would go. They have already paid or are committed to the monthly payments. I get that.

I don't have a pass right now, so I ask myself, would it be worth paying to just ride a few rides? I can't say no, but I can't say yes, either.

For example, let's say Disneyland kept the crowds reasonable, not because of the pandemic, but just because we all know how crazy packed it gets. Let's say they capped attendance at 25 percent. Would I pay $100+ to ride the train, pirates, HM, and Mark Twain and just sit on a bench for a few hours? Maybe, but the answer would be a hard no if the park was packed. That's not because of the pandemic. That's because insane crowds would make it not worth it, and you know, now that I think about it, that's my main reason for posting this. When you look at the attraction wait times at WDW, how can you justify going when you consider everything else? WDW is clearly not limiting attendance to anything close to 25 percent.

When you consider how packed the parks are and how long the wait times are, is it still worth going? I'm leaning towards "no".

Leave a comment:

• J. Thaddeus Toad
    MiceChatter

• J. Thaddeus Toad
    replied
    I'm with you, I think it'd personally be difficult for me to enjoy the park wearing a mask all day and social distancing, which is why I won't consider going when Disneyland reopens.

But the fact WDW isn't dead and there's a long line to get into World of Disney in Anaheim shows there's some significant portion of people it simply doesn't bother, or at least they don't think it would. I mean, at the end of the day, you still get to ride Small World, Expedition Everest, and Pirates of the Caribbean! Which isn't so bad, especially if you live far away and don't get to go too often.
    J. Thaddeus Toad
    MiceChatter
    Last edited by J. Thaddeus Toad; 10-11-2020, 08:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoMatt
    replied
    One more thing...I think it's pretty ironic if you view this sign while wearing a face shield or while breathing through a mask.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Disneyland_plaque.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.5 KB ID:	8627355

Leave a comment:

• PhotoMatt
    replied
    To be clear, let me say that if it's your money you can do whatever you want with it. If you find value in going to Disney World, or Disneyland when it opens, then my opinion should have no effect on your decision. I would just legitimately like to know why you would still want to go considering how drastically different the experience has to be.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoMatt
    replied
    Thanks for your reply.

I completely agree that people want to escape reality. I agree that people have always longed for a sense of community.

My question is this, doesn't social distancing (masks, ground stickers, signs, etc) diminish the escape from reality? I completely understand why they are necessary. This is not a debate about the necessity of social distancing. What I am asking is doesn't social distancing make it impossible to escape reality? For example, we know Walt built the berm around Disneyland to keep out the visual clutter of the outside world. Social distancing eliminates the berm, and all the other measures Disney has taken to make their world one of escapism and fantasy.

One more time, just to make sure there are no arguments, I completely understand why they need to do it. My point is that since it has to be done, is there really any escape from reality inside the park? I respect everyone's viewpoint, but I don't think there is escape. I went to Knott's for Taste of Knott's, and although I had a good time, social distancing was what I thought of before anything else.

I agree that people want to be part of a community, but I don't think you can experience that right now at any theme park, or pretty much anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• J. Thaddeus Toad
    MiceChatter

• J. Thaddeus Toad
    replied
    I think it's because people are starving for:

- An escape from reality
    - A sense of community
    - Uplifting content

Disneyland/World can provide all 3, even at a diminished experience like you described.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoMatt
    started a topic Why? No, really. Just...why?

Why? No, really. Just...why?

This post is not about the pandemic, so don't make it about that.

I wanted to post this in the WDW section, but the same questions apply to DL once it opens.

Do you have the WDW app on your phone? If you do, have you checked the attraction wait times? They seem pretty high for October...any October.

Have you seen social media posts that show how long the lines are? Sure, a lot of that is because indoor queues are being eliminated. That being said, is standing outside in the direct sunlight, heat, and humidity your idea of a good time?

Have you checked the operating hours? They seem to be less than usual for October.

Have you checked the entertainment? There are no parades. There are no character meet-and-greets. There are no fireworks. The typical entertainment is not there.

Have you checked the restaurants? Are they all open? Can you get a reservation? What are the wait times to order and get your food? Are they typical, or are there more delays than usual?

Have ticket prices been reduced?

Does it cost less to park?

Are the on-property hotel rates heavily discounted because many amenities are not available?

Is the cost of a churro less than it was a year ago?

I want to go to Disneyland. I would love to go to Walt Disney World. I understand why people want to go. I really do. That being said, even if I completely ignore the pandemic, I just can't justify a trip. I mean, why would I spend the same amount of money for a vastly diminished, inferior experience? I don't get it. I honestly don't get it.

So, let's get to the title of this thread. "Why? No, really. Just...why?" Why are people willing to pay the same amount of money for a severely limited experience? I can understand if you are local and you have an AP. I get that. Your answer is, "because I paid for it." Again, forget the pandemic. This thread should not be about that.

If Disneyland opened tomorrow, and you did NOT have an AP and you could get a reservation, would you go? If so, why? What allows you to justify paying pre-pandemic prices for a pandemic-diminished experience?

Do NOT include health concerns in your reply. I simply want to know why people are willing to pay so much for so little.

When Disneyland opens I foresee outrageously large crowds, insane wait times, no entertainment, limited food availability, and a pretty miserable experience overall. Why are people so eager for this? I truly don't get it.

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X