Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post

Gorgeous video.

Did you make it?
    No. It was created by Chris Zabriskie http://chriszabriskie.com/aboutme/

Leave a comment:

• J. Thaddeus Toad
    replied
    Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post
    I doubt I will go to Disneyland anytime soon, and probably never again. Between the draconian restrictions imposed by the State, vision-less Executives, and lackadaisical Cast Members, the magical spark just isn't there anymore. I'm content to relive Disneyland in my mind's eye.

Gorgeous video.

Did you make it?

Leave a comment:

• TacAlert
    replied
    I doubt I will go to Disneyland anytime soon, and probably never again. Between the draconian restrictions imposed by the State, vision-less Executives, and lackadaisical Cast Members, the magical spark just isn't there anymore. I'm content to relive Disneyland in my mind's eye.

Good memories:

Peoplemover
    Motorboats
    The Parking Lot - walk right to the park
    Original trams
    The arcade.

Thank you!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mike_M
    replied

To each, their own, however I wouldn’t give up on DL just yet. I’ve made this statement before:
    I believe that nothing compares to the reality of actually standing in the park.

There is always room to improve in how the parks are managed and maintained, however I truly believe the real test of the magic can only be made while in the park. The way we feel about the park is different when not there vs. being there. It’s easier to be critical of certain details when we are not immersed in it.

If you are standing in Fantasyland, eating a churro, or going down a waterfall in POTC, and the magic truly is gone for you in those moments, then yes, it’s probably best to retire from trips to the parks and instead reminisce of yesterland.

I’m not saying that criticism of the park is unwarranted, just that IMO it hasn’t spoiled the true magic of a visit while in the moment.

New processes may happen once we return to “normal” which could alter how a day in the park flows, but it would take an extreme change in the park atmosphere to affect my enjoyment of a visit to the point that I would consider never returning.
    Last edited by Mike_M; 10-29-2020, 11:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Laugh-O-Grams
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    I can not speak from experience, however I have had a number of Friends that have made the trip to Walt Disney World in the last month and they have all said it is extremely different feeling being in the parks right now, They were happy to be there and it was still fun but it was definitely not the experience they were use too. All of them said it was still worth it to them.

Leave a comment:

• Mom kissed Walt
    replied
    It’s all perspective. For some a diminished experience is mask wearing. For others diminished experience is too crowded. I’m not suggesting I would go right now as the OP posits but when they do open it will be under the guise that the pandemic has severely waned so I can only speak to what’s possible. If I could go tomorrow.

I’ll take stringent precautions over large crowds any day but that’s me.

I have to say I don’t see the plaque having any real different meaning than it ever has personally. If anything parts of it become more poignant.

Yesterday will always be a part of entering Disneyland by it’s very nature and I’m not just talking about it’s historical themes. It takes me back to memories of yesterday. That’s what it has come to mean to me.

Tomorrow is subjective but I would venture to say that just the other side of a pandemic is about as “tomorrow” as you can get, dystopian or otherwise. “here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.“ If moving forward and visiting Disneyland as it becomes safe to do so isn’t savoring the challenge and the promise of the future, I don’t know what is. Eventually we all move forward.

Fantasy. This comes down to any given individuals ability to lose themselves in a story. Personally I could do this with a mask on and bathed in sanitizer with 6 feet space around my family/group, but I understand some people cannot do this. For me good story will always outweigh optics.

Our family is already very much used to the “diminished experience” model and will remain so for the foreseeable future. I’ve finally stopped mourning what used to be. If we get back to some semblance of it later, great.

I did try not to make my answer “about the pandemic” but really it’s the world we live in now so I don’t even know how one does that, except to just to learn to live with it which appears to be the essence of your question. Some will, some won’t.

Leave a comment:

• TacAlert
    replied
    Originally posted by spinycactus View Post

I haven't read all of the replies. I and my DH are going to WDW in January for 6 days. And yeah, if Disneyland was open, we would be going there. Why bother with so many restrictions? With no fireworks, shows, character meet & greets, etc., etc.? I have multiple reasons:
    1. because this past summer was our 25th wedding anniversary.
    2. When we couldn't go to Hawaii like we'd planned, our backup plan was to go to Disneyland for a couple of days.
    3. In fact, we already had 2-day 1-park-per-day tickets purchased back in January of this year so our family of 4 could experience Star Wars land for the 1st time. That trip got postponed because 1 of our kids got sick (influenza, not COVID-19) just before we were to leave.
    4. because I had cancer last year and I want to celebrate just being alive.
    5. because we want to celebrate putting up with other for 25 years. LOL.
    6. because even compared to our local community, Disney takes the COVID-19 precautions and safety for park guests & CMs way more seriously than just about anybody else.
    7. because at this point, I'd just be happy to eat soup in a bread bowl at the French Market.
    8. because I'm dying to go on Pirates of the Caribbean again.
    9. because it'll be me & DH's first trip without kids since before we had children over 14 years ago.
    10. because I want to tell the CMs how much their hard work means to me.
    11. because I don't care if we have to wait in long lines or not ride every ride in the park in one day. This trip is more about smelling the roses than going sun up to sun down all commando/turbo style.
    12. because I can work around the limited restaurant options. At Magic Kingdom, for example, we can leave mid day and take the monorail to the Contemporary Resort and have lunch at The Wave. And my DH loves the old school style monorails at WDW.
    13. because we can still have a pretty darn fabulous time without fireworks and night time shows.
    14. because at Disneyland, people (generally speaking) are more patient with each other & more friendly than the average person on the street somewhere.
    15. because DH & I literally cannot wait to ride the People Mover at Magic Kingdom when we go in January.
    16. because we are totally stoked to get to see Country Bear Jamboree.
    17. because the Haunted Mansion is one of the best attractions around.
    18. because it's a nice reprieve & escape from regular life for a few days.
    19. because Disneyland & WDW are places where you really can unplug. Where you can truly reconnect with each other & with your family & loved ones who are with you.
    Agreed with all of your reasons. I know we will be doing it here soon.

I don't go to DLR for the fireworks or shows. I will watch Fantasmic sometimes, but it is not a must, and I don't like the newer version anyways. I go for the atmosphere and the rides. Bread bowl is a must, and DLR should be selling those off a cart in DTD. Hopefully they in DCA when they open up Buena Vista Street.

Leave a comment:

• spinycactus
    replied
    Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    This post is not about the pandemic, so don't make it about that.

I wanted to post this in the WDW section, but the same questions apply to DL once it opens.

Do you have the WDW app on your phone? If you do, have you checked the attraction wait times? They seem pretty high for October...any October.

Have you seen social media posts that show how long the lines are? Sure, a lot of that is because indoor queues are being eliminated. That being said, is standing outside in the direct sunlight, heat, and humidity your idea of a good time?

Have you checked the operating hours? They seem to be less than usual for October.

Have you checked the entertainment? There are no parades. There are no character meet-and-greets. There are no fireworks. The typical entertainment is not there.

Have you checked the restaurants? Are they all open? Can you get a reservation? What are the wait times to order and get your food? Are they typical, or are there more delays than usual?

Have ticket prices been reduced?

Does it cost less to park?

Are the on-property hotel rates heavily discounted because many amenities are not available?

Is the cost of a churro less than it was a year ago?

I want to go to Disneyland. I would love to go to Walt Disney World. I understand why people want to go. I really do. That being said, even if I completely ignore the pandemic, I just can't justify a trip. I mean, why would I spend the same amount of money for a vastly diminished, inferior experience? I don't get it. I honestly don't get it.

So, let's get to the title of this thread. "Why? No, really. Just...why?" Why are people willing to pay the same amount of money for a severely limited experience? I can understand if you are local and you have an AP. I get that. Your answer is, "because I paid for it." Again, forget the pandemic. This thread should not be about that.

If Disneyland opened tomorrow, and you did NOT have an AP and you could get a reservation, would you go? If so, why? What allows you to justify paying pre-pandemic prices for a pandemic-diminished experience?

Do NOT include health concerns in your reply. I simply want to know why people are willing to pay so much for so little.

When Disneyland opens I foresee outrageously large crowds, insane wait times, no entertainment, limited food availability, and a pretty miserable experience overall. Why are people so eager for this? I truly don't get it.
    I haven't read all of the replies. I and my DH are going to WDW in January for 6 days. And yeah, if Disneyland was open, we would be going there. Why bother with so many restrictions? With no fireworks, shows, character meet & greets, etc., etc.? I have multiple reasons:
    1. because this past summer was our 25th wedding anniversary.
    2. When we couldn't go to Hawaii like we'd planned, our backup plan was to go to Disneyland for a couple of days.
    3. In fact, we already had 2-day 1-park-per-day tickets purchased back in January of this year so our family of 4 could experience Star Wars land for the 1st time. That trip got postponed because 1 of our kids got sick (influenza, not COVID-19) just before we were to leave.
    4. because I had cancer last year and I want to celebrate just being alive.
    5. because we want to celebrate putting up with other for 25 years. LOL.
    6. because even compared to our local community, Disney takes the COVID-19 precautions and safety for park guests & CMs way more seriously than just about anybody else.
    7. because at this point, I'd just be happy to eat soup in a bread bowl at the French Market.
    8. because I'm dying to go on Pirates of the Caribbean again.
    9. because it'll be me & DH's first trip without kids since before we had children over 14 years ago.
    10. because I want to tell the CMs how much their hard work means to me.
    11. because I don't care if we have to wait in long lines or not ride every ride in the park in one day. This trip is more about smelling the roses than going sun up to sun down all commando/turbo style.
    12. because I can work around the limited restaurant options. At Magic Kingdom, for example, we can leave mid day and take the monorail to the Contemporary Resort and have lunch at The Wave. And my DH loves the old school style monorails at WDW.
    13. because we can still have a pretty darn fabulous time without fireworks and night time shows.
    14. because at Disneyland, people (generally speaking) are more patient with each other & more friendly than the average person on the street somewhere.
    15. because DH & I literally cannot wait to ride the People Mover at Magic Kingdom when we go in January.
    16. because we are totally stoked to get to see Country Bear Jamboree.
    17. because the Haunted Mansion is one of the best attractions around.
    18. because it's a nice reprieve & escape from regular life for a few days.
    19. because Disneyland & WDW are places where you really can unplug. Where you can truly reconnect with each other & with your family & loved ones who are with you.

Leave a comment:

• TacAlert
    replied
    Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

If you have any questions that you're unsure about send me a PM enjoy!
    I meant when DLR opens......haha.

Leave a comment:

• biggsworth
    replied
    Originally posted by TacAlert View Post

Glad to hear a report that is positive. Glad you had a great time also. We will be doing the same here soon also.
    If you have any questions that you're unsure about send me a PM enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• TacAlert
    replied
    Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
    J
    Final observations about guests. We saw 99% mask follow through. Most people figured out how use the line markers for line social distancing. CMs reminded guests about policies consistently.

So we had a blast and wouldn't want to tell anyone to go it's a choice you have to make and base it off your own health and situation. We're able to quarantine while working and are not high at risk for the virus. Told our family they won't see us for 2 weeks lol sorry for the long post hope you enjoyed.
    Glad to hear a report that is positive. Glad you had a great time also. We will be doing the same here soon also.

Leave a comment:

• biggsworth
    replied
    Just got back from a 7 night trip 5 days in the park. We planned on going for a while now so our flight was super cheap on Southwest and booked a car and hotel through "Express Deals" on Priceline in the middle of last month. We scored the Swan for 115 a night. I can't express the feeling we had being there it was so nice. Having popcorn whole listening to the music on Main Street going on things we love. A quick over view of what we did.

We slept in Monday but accomplished a lot for a rainy day in Animal Kingdom. We entered at 12:30

MON- Animal Kingdom 9am-5pm, Flight of Passage, Kilamanjaro Safari, lunch at Yak and Yeti, River Na'vi, Flight of Passage

Did our best to rope drop Magic Kingdom but got in at 9:15

TUE- Magic Kingdom 9-6 Seven Drawfs, Space Mountain, burger at cosmic Ray's, Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Big Thunder, Peter Pan, snack at village Haus, The Little Mermaid, Winnie the Pooh, Seven Drawfs.

For EPCOT we took a lazy go at our own pace day. Since it was a Wednesday we figured it would be lite crowds and it was.

WED- EPCOT 11-7 Walked over from the Swan at noon. Did Test Track, ate at Flavors of Fire, Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Soaring, Figment, Ate at Hawaii before working our way around world showcase. Snacked and drank at, America, Germany,China, then rode Three Caberlleros, finished off with Frozen Ever After and a sloooow stroll out and back to the Swan.

For our second visit to Animal Kingdom we woke up earlier but not too drop.

THUR Animal Kingdom 9-5 got in at 10:15. Rode Everest two times then Dinosaur, ate at Flaming BBQ, River Na'vi, Flight of Passage, Kilamanjaro Safari, Ate at Yak and Yeti (love this place) Everest, River Na'vi, Flight of Passage.

For Hollywood Studios we definitely had a plan of getting in very early and it paid off.

FRI Disney Hollywood Studios 10-7. Walked over from Swan At 8:30. They let us in at 9:05 and we briskly walked to Mickey and Minnie Runaway rail they started running it at that time we had NO WAIT! Headed to Slinky and got off that at 9:57 to secure our spot for a boarding pass for Rise of the Resistance. Wife got boarding group 2! We headed headed next. Got off Rise at 10:30 is. We decided to grab a Starbucks and chill after that morning lol We then head on Tower of Terror before our reservation at Sci-Fi drive in. After that we decided to head back to the room VIA Disney Skyliner which dropped us off at EPCOT. We drive back over to Hollywood Studios to knock out Aerosmith, Star Tours snack, Slinky, and Buzzer beat another ride on Mickey and Minnie's.

So for my wife and I we had a blast and don't regret anything about this past week. Now we're at home for two weeks where we'll quarantine since we both work at home and have a grocery delivery set up for today.

A couple of things we did too help protect us from the virus. Rented a car (no Uber,Lyft,or buses) Sanatize after each attraction which Disney provided. Then we also went and washed our hands at the nearest restroom. We had a different mask for each day. Didn't touch handrails at all. Denied taking pictures for people who asked. If you go DO NOT GO ON A WEEKEND. Friday night at the Swan was very busy. Yesterday morning there were people everywhere at the Swan as we were walking out of the resort.

Final observations about guests. We saw 99% mask follow through. Most people figured out how use the line markers for line social distancing. CMs reminded guests about policies consistently.

So we had a blast and wouldn't want to tell anyone to go it's a choice you have to make and base it off your own health and situation. We're able to quarantine while working and are not high at risk for the virus. Told our family they won't see us for 2 weeks lol sorry for the long post hope you enjoyed.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    For lesser experience - pay more
    No Thank You

Leave a comment:

• metsno1fan
    replied
    My wife and I have been thinking about going down to WDW since August. Here in NY we've been wearing masks since April, so that part doesn't bother me. We're fine wearing masks all day, though I guess if it gets too hot down there it might become a little annoying.

But even besides the 14 day quarantine on the way back to NY and the kids in school, the thing that keeps us from going is the full price of park tickets vs the completely diminished experience. No character meets, no park hopping and worst of all no fastpasses. I've got 3 kids under 8, and I've made using fastpasses wisely a science when we go down. I haven't waited on line for something for probably more than 20 minutes our past 5 trips. Even after all the cutbacks, having to wait in extended lines all day with no 'guaranteed' rides makes it not worth it. I know there are those who hate the WDW fastpass system, but with little kids its an absolute lifesaver.

That being said if I was a Florida resident I'd 100% go to the parks, even with masks and social distancing, just walking around the parks is an escape that's desperately needed these days.

Leave a comment:

• TacAlert
    replied
    Originally posted by whiteness View Post
    Yes, the parks are getting crowded out here in Orlando. Both Universal Studios and Disney World.

Does anyone remember when passes were a great deal? I do. When I was a grad student at UCI, it was a great deal even for a "starving student." Year after year, the value was lessened. I cannot totally blame Disney for that: there were just too many locals wanting passes. Disney kept on raising prices, restricting days and reducing perks, and folks like me just kept renewing them. People kept predicting that the breaking point would eventually be reached, but somehow it never happened. Until now. COVID hit the reset button, and as painful as it's been for everyone, in the case of Disney maybe it will bring a needed dose of reality? I hope so.
    I got my first pass in 1989 for $199. Included 365 days of admission and parking. Researching on Google, ticket prices were $29 a day, so I would have to use it 7 times to payoff which I probably did 5x that amount of visits.

I think top admission price now is $129??? Average pass about a $1000 +/-. I'm not sure. Please no one beat me up over this. Still about 7 visits a year to payoff, parking not included in most passes I know. But still about equal to the value.

I just went years without a pass because having to buy 6 of them just got too much for me. I got one this last year to enjoy SWGE and just to have fun again at DL? I don't miss the crowds.

The AP program got way out of hand and my opinion is that when they went to the payments, that allowed more people to come. It helped me get one this year as I didn't have to put the 100s of dollars of front on my pass and I budgeted the $50 a month or whatever it is (haven't paid since March) so I didn't feel the hit of the pass.

But DL can raise their prices to whatever they want. It has been proven the APers will pay whatever to go and I honestly don't feel you will see any reduction in price when the parks reopen. This will be how they control the crowds. Plus those who don't renew will not get the renewal rate if they still have one.

Leave a comment:

• whiteness
    replied
    Yes, the parks are getting crowded out here in Orlando. Both Universal Studios and Disney World.

I was just in Universal Studios this weekend, and there was basically no ride or attraction that I wanted to go on with less than an hour wait. Even those rides with virtual queues, I was still waiting in line for an hour. Hogwarts Express, I was in line for >2 hours!

Furthermore, the adherence to "social distancing" is deteriorating every time I visit. A lot of times, I felt crowded. Fortunately, people were still wearing masks, and mostly I felt the crowds outdoors, but still...

Photomatt, I agree that the experience is suffering and, especially at Disney, the value is just not there. It would be very hard for me to justify purchasing Disneyworld passes for my family right now, even if I could, at the current price levels. And that's maybe not a bad thing, because that is a couple of thousand dollars that I can now use for something else. Much more if one factors in food and other expenses. I was spending so much money feeding this addiction, and, now that I've been forced to go "Cold Turkey" I can take a step back and rationally evaluate the cost/benefit to me. In my case, it's just not there right now.

Does anyone remember when passes were a great deal? I do. When I was a grad student at UCI, it was a great deal even for a "starving student." Year after year, the value was lessened. I cannot totally blame Disney for that: there were just too many locals wanting passes. Disney kept on raising prices, restricting days and reducing perks, and folks like me just kept renewing them. People kept predicting that the breaking point would eventually be reached, but somehow it never happened. Until now. COVID hit the reset button, and as painful as it's been for everyone, in the case of Disney maybe it will bring a needed dose of reality? I hope so.

Leave a comment:

• TacAlert
    replied
    Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
    I just read today's MC Disneyland Update and seeing photos of people waiting in line 3 hours to get into DTD had me saying basically the same thing, "What? Why? Do they know they can go to shopDisney?" This weekend was HOT. Why anyone would subject themselves to that... I don't understand it.
    Basically it is because people want to get out, and they also show that it is not that serious to go out. But I agree. Even in normal times I would not wait 3 hours to get into a store. I don't understand it either.
    Last edited by TacAlert; 10-21-2020, 06:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Well Just...why?

I don't get it .........at same time , I don't want it !>

Leave a comment:

• rld275501
    replied
    Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    One more thing...I think it's pretty ironic if you view this sign while wearing a face shield or while breathing through a mask.

Click image for larger version Name:	Disneyland_plaque.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.5 KB ID:	8627355
    Well, they could play a game. Temporarily alter the sign and say something like "HERE YOU LEAVE TODAY AND ENTER THE WORLD OF YESTERDAY (The Spanish Flu Pandemic), TOMORROW, AND FANTASY. The 1918-1920 Spanish Flu pandemic would work better in DCA however, because BVS is set in the 1920s when they were dealing with a pandemic. Immerse guests in the era!
    Last edited by rld275501; 10-20-2020, 06:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X