Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Governor Newsom sending team to WDW

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Governor Newsom sending team to WDW

    California Gov. Gavin Newsom said on Monday that he was sending members of his staff to Walt Disney World to see firsthand how the theme park is operating amid the pandemic as the company is demanding Disneyland be allowed to reopen.

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ening-feedback

  • #2
    Well
    I glad - I'm not on Gov. Gavin Newsom
    member of staff !
    I have no desire to go to Walt Disney World or Florida
    at this time.........//
    IMO
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

    Comment


    • #3
      He is just putting on a show. Gavin Nuisance has no desire to open Disneyland. Just doing damage control over Igor quiting the panel.
      Last edited by tarheelalum; 10-13-2020, 06:23 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        That moment when California residents realize, they are literally paying tax dollars for someone's vacation to Florida....

        Good thing I don't live in Cali.

        Comment


        • #5
          Sounds like a practical thing to do. I just hope they go as "secret shoppers," rather than arriving with a lot of fanfare to a rolled out red carpet.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pips View Post
            Sounds like a practical thing to do. I just hope they go as "secret shoppers," rather than arriving with a lot of fanfare to a rolled out red carpet.
            I agree! It's not going to show how things really are on a day to day basis at WDW if everything is 'staged' for them in advance.

            Not that I think WDW is ignoring their own rules consistently or encouraging non-compliance, but since 'past behaviour predicts future behaviour' I'm sure there are CMs that 'look the other way' rather than confront people violating the protocols or who may be a bit 'slap dash' in the disinfecting.

            Now, if Gavin wants to send ME on an all expense paid 'secret shopper mission' I'm unrecognizably face-masked and sanitized for everyone's protection!
            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

            Comment


            • #7
              Make them quarantine for 14 days when they arrive and another 14 days when they return.

              Comment


              • #8
                A broken watch is right twice a day.
                “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                so many years of our own lives.”


                DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                WDW Trips: '81
                EPCOT Trips: '93
                Tokyo DL Trips: '86

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well, well...

                  WHO Warns Against Lockdowns

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by stovk View Post
                    A broken watch is right twice a day.
                    Unless its a 24 hour clock, then its' only once a day.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                      That moment when California residents realize, they are literally paying tax dollars for someone's vacation to Florida....

                      Good thing I don't live in Cali.
                      More like that moment when California residents realize the Disney execs are acting like a bunch of tantrum-throwing babies, and now the Gov has to go risk the covid in a fully open state to appease them.
                      "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        During Dr. Ghaly's COVID-19 update this afternoon, he said that they already made their visit to WDW. A report should be making its way to the governor's office sometime this week. He also mentioned that they will be visiting Disneyland for a walkthrough.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

                          More like that moment when California residents realize the Disney execs are acting like a bunch of tantrum-throwing babies, and now the Gov has to go risk the covid in a fully open state to appease them.
                          Glad to know you're financially secure to where you can lock down indefinitely. Only if the Disney employees (and millions of others) could be so lucky.

                          The Disney Execs are "babies" for wanting to open the Park, huh? So, were they "babies" for laying off 28,000 employees because they didn't make a stink sooner for opening the Park?

                          You can't have it both ways sunshine. This is not a Disney problem.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jar.Jar.Abrams View Post

                            Glad to know you're financially secure to where you can lock down indefinitely. Only if the Disney employees (and millions of others) could be so lucky.

                            The Disney Execs are "babies" for wanting to open the Park, huh? So, were they "babies" for laying off 28,000 employees because they didn't make a stink sooner for opening the Park?

                            You can't have it both ways sunshine. This is not a Disney problem.
                            The Disney execs could make some sacrifices to their salaries and bonuses if they wanted to keep those employees afloat. Our politicians could work for us and ensure no one is going hungry rather than stalling any and all progress through their partisan fighting. All of these are the ones whose financial security should be called into question. But I guess attacking an average citizen instead of millionaires and billionaires makes more sense, right?

                            And I don't think they are babies for wanting the park open. I think they are babies for making demands on the Governor, as if there aren't much more pressing matters than Disneyland being open or not. I think they are babies for throwing a public fit over the lack of guidelines, and then throwing another fit because they didn't like the guidelines that they made such a show over.
                            Last edited by Sun Bonnet; 10-13-2020, 02:51 PM. Reason: wc
                            "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

                              The Disney execs could make some sacrifices to their salaries and bonuses if they wanted to keep those employees afloat. .
                              Ive seen this suggestion a couple times here, and I'm trying to figure the math out. The company couldn't afford 28,000 employees. Assuming the average park employee salary is say, $30,000 a year, that means execs would have to donate 210 million of their annual combined salaries to keep them afloat for only 3 months. If low pandemic numbers and/or lockdown in CA lasts another year, the donation would have to be close to a billion.

                              I don't think they're getting paid that kind of money in either the 3 month or 12 month scenario. And even if they did, both scenarios would require them to work for free for 3-12 months, which is a hell of an expectation, especially considering how insanely difficult/stressful their jobs must be right now.
                              Last edited by J. Thaddeus Toad; 10-13-2020, 04:34 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Considering how insanely difficult/stressful their jobs must be right now?
                                I know , I'm glad I not CM dealing with guests.....
                                and I know today time - It difficult/stressful for many - on there jobs !
                                ​​​​​​​IMO
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post

                                  Ive seen this suggestion a couple times here, and I'm trying to figure the math out. The company couldn't afford 28,000 employees. Assuming the average park employee salary is say, $30,000 a year, that means execs would have to donate 210 million of their annual combined salaries to keep them afloat for only 3 months. If low pandemic numbers and/or lockdown in CA lasts another year, the donation would have to be close to a billion.

                                  I don't think they're getting paid that kind of money in either the 3 month or 12 month scenario. And even if they did, both scenarios would require them to work for free for 3-12 months, which is a hell of an expectation, especially considering how insanely difficult/stressful their jobs must be right now.
                                  I've been thinking about this, too. While it certainly would help if the company were a smaller and had less employees, this is Disney we're talking about. They're massive. More massive than I think we realize sometimes. They have employees from all sorts of subdivisions all over the planet.

                                  Google says that Bob Iger makes $65 million per year. While I don't think anyone needs that amount of money to survive and he should have been making less in exchange for folks on the lower end making more, let's pretend for a second that Iger feels like being a good guy and decides he wants to make $0 this year. He donates it all.

                                  $65 million divided by the 28,000 Cast Members is a little over $2,000 to each of them, at the cost of the company CEO. While that would certainly be a noble gesture and the amount would increase with each exec taking a cut, that amount won't even cover one months rent in some SoCal areas. Heck, some studio apartments cost $2,000 a month 'round here. That means the trade we'd be looking at would be the company CEO, the man steering the ship, making NO money for a year in exchange for maybe one months rent for those 28,000 employees. What happens the next month when we're still locked down or the state still hasn't issued guidelines for park re-openings and Disney is still paying for upkeep on everything it owns?

                                  I think the idea of a pay cut is noble. For lots of companies it can work, probably. But I think Disney is a little too big for it's own good in this instance. I'm starting to think that it just doesn't seem realistic. The unfortunate reality is that without some form of re-opening, those 28,000 employees are seen as assets that can't be afforded. Are they important? Absolutely. It takes people to make the company what it is. But right now, their approach seems to be that the most important part is keeping someone at the helm to steer the ship through these treacherous waters.

                                  I'm not a huge Iger fan by any stretch of the imagination. But I won't deny that he's probably more qualified to navigate the company through this financial crisis than the actress for Anna or Elsa that just lost their jobs. Those lovely people can (-and hopefully will) be hired back when things (hopefully) pick back up.

                                  But not if there is no company to speak of. I'm sure Disney wants to keep these Cast Members. I'm sure Disney wants to keep paying them. But they can't unless they are making the money to do so and they can't make the money to do so if they aren't open. Which they obviously want to be but are not currently allowed to do. Lots of us (myself included) sometimes imagine Disney has these huge Scrooge McDuck-style money vaults under the castle or something but this pandemic has shown us that is anything but true. They're hurting. Bad.
                                  Last edited by Blurr; 10-13-2020, 04:52 PM.
                                  "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Blurr View Post

                                    I've been thinking about this, too. While it certainly would help if the company were a smaller and had less employees, this is Disney we're talking about. They're massive. More massive than I think we realize sometimes. They have employees from all sorts of subdivisions all over the planet.

                                    Google says that Bob Iger makes $65 million per year.
                                    His actual salary was 3 million, the rest was stock. Are they going to be doling out stock this year? I'm not so sure. Are salaries even going to remain the same? Not so sure either.

                                    Regardless, your points stand.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post

                                      His actual salary was 3 million, the rest was stock. Are they going to be doling out stock this year? I'm not so sure. Are salaries even going to remain the same? Not so sure either.

                                      Regardless, your points stand.
                                      Fair enough, I knew most of it was stock but didn't know how much. Assuming that stock money can't go to CMs (because of some legal rule or loophole I don't know about), that leaves them with $100 each and Iger with $0. There'd have to be quite a few execs out there willing to make $0 this year in order to afford even a single months rent for laid off CMs.
                                      "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Here is a novel idea, let Disneyland open up so cast members can earn a living again. Just like the ones in Florida have been doing now for months without issue.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X