Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Galaxy’s Edge CMs at Disneyland Being Laid Off Due to Non-Transferable Seniority

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Galaxy’s Edge CMs at Disneyland Being Laid Off Due to Non-Transferable Seniority

Just saw this over at

I understand that Disney is hurting right now, but laying good, experienced CMs off just because they transferred to Galaxy's Edge...no, just no...

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Cast Members in Disneyland are being laid off in the latest round of Disney’s 28,000 layoffs. Disneyland Resort reached agreements with several Cast Member unions regarding furloughs and the layoffs.

According to Teamsters Local 495, Cast Members who transferred to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge from Disney California Adventure lost all scheduling seniority because Disneyland and Disney California Adventure have separate union contracts. A Cast Member who had worked for the company for years in Disney California Adventure was effectively considered a new hire upon transferring to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Cast Members who transferred from within Disneyland Park did not lose seniority.

Transferring Cast Members were told upon starting at the new land that seniority would not make a difference in getting the hours they needed. However, seniority is now determining layoffs, so many long-time Cast Members are being affected. Many Cast Members and Disney fans shared their frustration on Twitter.
    Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

I wouldn’t have agreed to a transfer if it meant losing my seniority but that’s just me.

Comment

Those poor CM's I wonder how many really understood what they were signing up for when they took those roles.

How very sad. I genuinely feel for them. I can't imagine what it's like for them

I think this is the most tragic year in Disneyland's history.

Comment

It wouldn’t be fair to the CMs who stayed in other areas to keep their seniority to do otherwise. Ideally no one would be losing their jobs, but that is not the reality. Like the poster above, I do feel bad for the CMs who were unaware of what seniority meant. If they were better informed of its value, they might not have considered the compromise worth it.
        APs
        Burning Cabin
        Splash Mountain
        Star Wars
        Fantasy Faire
        Smoking
        Pirates
        Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

Always read the fine print.

That is awful though. My heart goes out to them.
          "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comment

It is bad, but everyone that moved there was already told before moving that their seniority will be dropped.

Comment

I'm sure they knew what would happen to their seniority when transferring to SW:GE, but thought the notoriety of being opening crews overshadowed them considering the ramifications of such.

Comment

While I'm sure the seniority drop was communicated to them, that doesn't make the situation any less sad. Here you have a group of CMs, arguably some of DCAs finest (which they often look for when they need reliable and experienced CMs to handle a new, popular area/attraction) who saw this as an opportunity to be a part of something they felt was special and secure some serious hours and shifts in an area they knew would need them.

Then COVID. Obviously they didn't weigh this as an possibility. No one would have. Nothing like this has ever happened in the history of the resort before. I can't say I can fault them for not considering that a massive pandemic would decimate the Anaheim resort area and the tourism industry at large the way it did.

What an absolute gut-punch.
                "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
                  While I'm sure the seniority drop was communicated to them, that doesn't make the situation any less sad. Here you have a group of CMs, arguably some of DCAs finest (which they often look for when they need reliable and experienced CMs to handle a new, popular area/attraction) who saw this as an opportunity to be a part of something they felt was special and secure some serious hours and shifts in an area they knew would need them.

Then COVID. Obviously they didn't weigh this as an possibility. No one would have. Nothing like this has ever happened in the history of the resort before. I can't say I can fault them for not considering that a massive pandemic would decimate the Anaheim resort area and the tourism industry at large the way it did.

What an absolute gut-punch.
                  Exactly. When Disney asked for great CMs to help open the new land, these folks stepped up and did their best to make it as successful as possible.

And, least we forget, Disney leaned a lot of those CMs. Disney cheaped out when it came to entertainment, and those CMs were expected to fill the void. Shopkeepers, ride operators, cashiers and etc. were encouraged to have backstories and entertain the guests. And, in my opinion, they did a pretty darn good job.

And this is the thanks they get. True, this only affects the CMs that transferred from DCA, but I cannot help but wonder how the others who were not laid off must feel, knowing that their jobs were spared for (in my opinion) an arbitrary reason.

Comment

Having a CM friend who didn’t choose Star Wars because she was worried about job security changes my perspective. I know we can’t predict COVID, but I don’t see why a CM who chose to leave their seniority should be prioritized over her.

I am definitely side-eyeing the implied preference of this CMs to others. You don’t get to decide that she made an arbitrary decision because of others.
                    APs
                    Burning Cabin
                    Splash Mountain
                    Star Wars
                    Fantasy Faire
                    Smoking
                    Pirates

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

whiteness You not liking Star Wars land doesn’t mean the land’s CMs should keep their jobs for that reason.

Whys is it Star Wars fans need to inject their misery with brand’s direction in every possible subject?
                      APs
                      Burning Cabin
                      Splash Mountain
                      Star Wars
                      Fantasy Faire
                      Smoking
                      Pirates

Comment

From the transcript of Chapek's video about Star Wars Land:

"It’s interesting, we have eleven one-billion-dollar-or-more consumer products franchises in terms of retail sales. Eleven of ‘em....

Look, we’ve got the wealth of riches. We’ve got an embarrassment of riches....

One of my favorite things – it’s actually a soft programming thing, it’s not an imaginary thing – it’s the cast. Because I don’t know if you’ve figured this out yet, but each cast member was asked to come up with their own backstory – why they’re here, what their origin is, what their problem is. So each cast member has created their own story. So that adds yet another dimension. Because everything we’ve talked about so far is really all about the land, right? And the programming of the land. But when you talk to the cast, you get all these different layers. And to me, that’s really what takes this – as always, it’s always about the cast, right? – they take it over the top."
                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Also it is interesting that the same land that apparently failed and is now being partially blamed for CMs job loss is the reason Hollywood Studios in Florida is the only park that is fully booked some days.

It proves that they don’t care about the CMs. They only want people to know that they don’t like Star Wars land.
                          APs
                          Burning Cabin
                          Splash Mountain
                          Star Wars
                          Fantasy Faire
                          Smoking
                          Pirates

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
                            Also it is interesting that the same land that apparently failed and is now being partially blamed for CMs job loss is the reason Hollywood Studios in Florida is the only park that is fully booked some days.

It proves that they don’t care about the CMs. They only want people to know that they don’t like Star Wars land.
                            I think this is one of those special cases where the California Adventure and Disneyland unions muddied the water, and put CM's with superiority in a bad place.

I feel like this demotion should have been HIGHLY discouraged. For instance, at my current job, I am highly discouraged from considering jobs where I would be paid a lower salary or lose benefits based on my current skillset and experience within the company. I hope Disney and the unions at least did that. If not, it's extremely irresponsible. I feel sorry for the CM's that clocked so many years of hard work only to be let go in this manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post

Yes, Galaxy's Edge is a major draw in Disney World. And the wonderful CMs that staff it are, in my opinion, a big part of that. It was my favorite land when I visited Hollywood Studios, but the "Marketplace" area did feel a bit crowded, which was a negative.

Hang on: someone thinks I am a Star Wars guy that hates Galaxy's Edge...? That's so funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

I think this is one of those special cases where the California Adventure and Disneyland unions muddied the water, and put CM's with superiority in a bad place.

I feel like this demotion should have been HIGHLY discouraged. For instance, at my current job, I am highly discouraged from considering jobs where I would be paid a lower salary or lose benefits based on my current skillset and experience within the company. I hope Disney and the unions at least did that. If not, it's extremely irresponsible. I feel sorry for the CM's that clocked so many years of hard work only to be let go in this manner.
                                Some job sites don't allow members of one union to change jobs to another union class where pay or required skillset would be less, out of fairness to workers from both groups. However, in this case, it seems the Galaxy's Edge job was a lateral transfer of some of the best CMs in the park. Their seniority dates should have been preserved. It's tragic that that wasn't the case.
                                "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

I feel like this demotion should have been HIGHLY discouraged. For instance, at my current job, I am restricted from considering jobs where I would be paid a lower salary or lose benefits based on my current skillset and experience within the company. I hope Disney and the unions at least did that. If not, it's extremely irresponsible. I feel sorry for the CM's that clocked so many years of hard work only to be let go in this manner.
                                  That I absolutely agree with. From what I understand, the keeping the hours benefit really masked what was being lost and falsely assured those to take it. This is all on Disney management. They SHOULD have at least explained what seniority loss could mean in an unexpected event.

I also don’t think this mass lay-off is Disney’s only option unless we pretend to live in a false dichotomy.

APs
                                  Burning Cabin
                                  Splash Mountain
                                  Star Wars
                                  Fantasy Faire
                                  Smoking
                                  Pirates

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post

Yes, Galaxy's Edge is a major draw in Disney World. And the wonderful CMs that staff it are, in my opinion, a big part of that. It was my favorite land when I visited Hollywood Studios, but the "Marketplace" area did feel a bit crowded, which was a negative.

Hang on: someone thinks I am a Star Wars guy that hates Galaxy's Edge...? That's so funny!
                                    Ohhhhh. Well egg on my face then! I am sorry. I see what you are saying now.
                                    APs
                                    Burning Cabin
                                    Splash Mountain
                                    Star Wars
                                    Fantasy Faire
                                    Smoking
                                    Pirates

Comment

I hate the concept any worker losing jobs!
                                      But ,if layoff going happen with in the union
                                      Seniority dates should have been preserved.......IMO

Cast Members really did to know ,what they doing ?
                                      If they belong to union ,also know need to know , what the contract say's.
                                      But again I do not trust - Disney Leadership
                                      Last edited by Eagleman; 10-21-2020, 06:35 PM.
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

This is what I wonder as well. Were they really informed of the actual risks in regards to such a move? I guess we'll never know for sure, but the whole tragedy of the situation just adds to the series of calamities that have hit the parks this year.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X