Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Disneyland be restored to its former glory by the 70th anniversary?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Disneyland be restored to its former glory by the 70th anniversary?

Before COVID, Disneyland had been on a multi-decade period of growth, spectacularly rocketed by the incredible 60th anniversary party. Disneyland hadn't sparkled so much or been so amazingly alive like it was during the 60th.

It is going to take many years to recover from COVID. The heartbreaking loss of long term CMs, the talent, the history, the knowledge. Nothing like this has ever hit the resort.

What are peoples thoughts here.

How long will it take for the parks to return to levels like the 60th?

Will the parks be back to their former glory by the 70th? Or will they ever return at all?

What do you all see happening to the parks over the next 5 years?

Disney will have to RETHINK....How business is run.........even "Theme Parks"
    This can be good ,it can be bad......Time Will Tell
    IMO
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Due to complete uncertainly as to when they may resume normal operations, I see very lean years ahead for Disneyland. A lot more negative than positive in the next 5 years.

Comment

I think recovery will depend on how many maintenance staff and managers they can retain. You can train new cooks, salesman, and ride operators, but the experienced managers and maintainers keep the park functioning.
        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
          I think recovery will depend on how many maintenance staff and managers they can retain. You can train new cooks, salesman, and ride operators, but the experienced managers and maintainers keep the park functioning.
          This^^^^^^^^

The machinery at DL is pretty complex and therefore, it'll need a lot of maintenance to keep it running smoothly. It would very likely take more than a whole year to get someone up to speed with it, it's not something you can just throw anyone in and expect them to know how to keep it going.

If the rides break down often, word will get out and it'll hurt them a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post

This^^^^^^^^

The machinery at DL is pretty complex and therefore, it'll need a lot of maintenance to keep it running smoothly. It would very likely take more than a whole year to get someone up to speed with it, it's not something you can just throw anyone in and expect them to know how to keep it going.

If the rides break down often, word will get out and it'll hurt them a lot.
            You would think?
            Disney would keep there top maintenance people around........
            Someone just with a can WD-40 , is not going do it !
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Within five years, the resort has dealt with a measles outbreak and then the ugliness of COVID-19... I have a feeling it will never be the same again. If it does go back to its former glory, then it will be a good decade at the very least.

Comment

It's over.

Comment

I’m hesitant to jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon here.

Change has always been a part of Disneyland and I have no doubt that there will be more change in the future, both because of Covid and because of other things too.

I don’t think however that the heart and soul of the park will die because of change. It certainly won’t die because of this pandemic. It’s a sucker punch to the park for sure, but I doubt it’s a killing blow.

Time will heal the wounds of the pandemic. Things will change, but we will move forward and so will the park. At some point, we’ll all end up back in DL, soaking it all in as we had before, and feeling glad that it was strong enough to make it through this.
                  Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                  Walt Disney World
                  Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                  1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                  2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Don't forget it's Bob Chapek running the company now.

Comment

I'd assume so. I think Disney will after Mickey not really put more rides into Disneyland for a while (around its 75th for the next BIG ride or Tomorrowland update)

But for the 70th I think seeing some big upgrades on rides would work really well, Indy could get some more projection mapping and maybe finally fix the rat room to be something interesting, Jungle cruise could get some upgrades and maybe have a "night version", Splash will maybe open around the 75th as well as its new version, maybe by then change Smugglers run into the Rumored Mando story line, Upgrade Roger Rabbit for the first time and if its still there maybe add some new stuff to Nemo with characters from the sequel.

That's what I think will happen mainly just "new" effects on rides people love, which if done really well it for me enough considering it going to take YEARS to make back what they are losing with the parks down for a year and half (or more)

Maybe a new Parade/Fireworks but I doubt we will get an E ticket until after the 70th because we are getting Mickey most likely in 2ish years now
                      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Having worked as a contractor at Disneyland for many years, my gut says Disneyland will be back as strong as they were, if not stronger.

Disney has created a very loyal fan base and fans will be itching for just a glimpse of the magic they all grew to love. Masks or no masks. Sit down restaurants or no sit down restaurants. Pirates of the Caribbean or no Pirates of the Caribbean. Won't matter. Park capacities will be met daily. CM's will be back and happy as ever because they know they're adding to the magic everyone is there for, reason being Disney instills a different level of loyalty from their CM's and those who partner with them.

Disney World has been operating well given their limitations, what makes anyone think Disneyland would do any different?

How long will it take? Hard to tell. Disneyland's only limitations will be those that it has no control over.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedog View Post
                          Having worked as a contractor at Disneyland for many years, my gut says Disneyland will be back as strong as they were, if not stronger.

Disney has created a very loyal fan base and fans will be itching for just a glimpse of the magic they all grew to love. Masks or no masks. Sit down restaurants or no sit down restaurants. Pirates of the Caribbean or no Pirates of the Caribbean. Won't matter. Park capacities will be met daily. CM's will be back and happy as ever because they know they're adding to the magic everyone is there for, reason being Disney instills a different level of loyalty from their CM's and those who partner with them.

Disney World has been operating well given their limitations, what makes anyone think Disneyland would do any different?

How long will it take? Hard to tell. Disneyland's only limitations will be those that it has no control over.
                          I can tell you right now, CM morale is going to be down. The ones that survived these cuts are going to feel survivors guilt and when we return we will be working with short staff. Cast will be transferred from areas they have experience in to areas they have no experience in as a result of how they laid of cast members. Most are feeling betrayed by CEOs who reinstated their own pay at the expense of us. Chapek, and previously Iger earn over 200 times the median wage of the average employee within the company. That number is even more drastic for the lowest paid earners like those that run the parks. Those bonuses that were earned by executives for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts' high profitability were made predominantly by low wage earners who now, in their time of need, have been betrayed by their executive leadership. When the parks return, the fans may, but many of the cast that were passionate about the company and its values have come to realize that those values do not matter when it truly counts. The shareholders and executives will always come first, not the front line workers who actually create the magic you speak of.
                          Last edited by Disneylandfan67; 11-02-2020, 02:00 PM.
                          All right, listen! I didn't want to have to do this, but you leave me no choice. Here comes the smolder.

DLR Annual Passholder, Disney nerd
                          Trip Reports:
                          From California to Walt Disney World: The Road to Orlando (Coming soon)

Comment

Originally posted by Disneylandfan67 View Post
                            I can tell you right now, CM morale is going to be down. The ones that survived these cuts are going to feel survivors guilt and when we return we will be working with short staff. Cast will be transferred from areas they have experience in to areas they have no experience in as a result of how they laid of cast members. Most are feeling betrayed by CEOs who reinstated their own pay at the expense of us. Chapek, and previously Iger earn over 200 times the median wage of the average employee within the company. That number is even more drastic for the lowest paid earners like those that run the parks. Those bonuses that were earned by executives for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts' high profitability were made predominantly by low wage earners who now, in their time of need, have been betrayed by their executive leadership. When the parks return, the fans may, but may that were passionate about the company and its values have come to realize that those values do not matter when it truly counts. The shareholders and executives will always come first, not the front line workers who actually create the magic you speak of.
                            Spot on. Not to nitpick an excellent post... but from 2019:

Disney CEO Bob Iger earned 1,000 times as much as a typical employee

"...The $65.7 million Iger earned last year is indeed more than 1,000 times the median salary of all Disney employees, which is $46,127,according to a study from Equilar. Thanks to incentives associated with his contract extension, that imbalance amounted to a paycheck 1,424 times greater than his workers’ in 2018. (This year, his compensation is projected to be a more modest $35 million.)...

Iger joins a fairly full club of CEOs who earn over a 1,000 times more than their typical employee does, according to a report complied earlier this month by MyLogIQ, an aggregator of public company information, which looked at 325 proxy statements filed by S&P 500 companies to the Securities and Exchange Commission...."

And from 2020:

We did the math to calculate how many hours it took Bob Iger to make what his workers earned in one year when he ran Disney

"Former Disney CEO Bob Iger took 9 hours and 37 minutes to earn what a typical employee made in a year."
                            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Disneylandfan67 View Post

I can tell you right now, CM morale is going to be down. The ones that survived these cuts are going to feel survivors guilt and when we return we will be working with short staff. Cast will be transferred from areas they have experience in to areas they have no experience in as a result of how they laid of cast members. Most are feeling betrayed by CEOs who reinstated their own pay at the expense of us. Chapek, and previously Iger earn over 200 times the median wage of the average employee within the company. That number is even more drastic for the lowest paid earners like those that run the parks. Those bonuses that were earned by executives for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts' high profitability were made predominantly by low wage earners who now, in their time of need, have been betrayed by their executive leadership. When the parks return, the fans may, but may that were passionate about the company and its values have come to realize that those values do not matter when it truly counts. The shareholders and executives will always come first, not the front line workers who actually create the magic you speak of.
                              Sadly People have know for years that CM's don't make enough, even Imagneers don't make enough for the quality hey produce.

No one cares, people just want to go and turn their brains off and go to Disney. The fact the stores in DTD have hour waits on weekends show people even during a Pandemic want Disney. While I think its going to take a few years to get back to 100% it will happen, the biggest negative is the longer the parks are closed the more people will be let go, the less entertainment and new rides we get over the next 5ish years,
                              Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Spot on. Not to nitpick an excellent post... but from 2019:

Disney CEO Bob Iger earned 1,000 times as much as a typical employee

"...The $65.7 million Iger earned last year is indeed more than 1,000 times the median salary of all Disney employees, which is $46,127,according to a study from Equilar. Thanks to incentives associated with his contract extension, that imbalance amounted to a paycheck 1,424 times greater than his workers’ in 2018. (This year, his compensation is projected to be a more modest $35 million.)...

Iger joins a fairly full club of CEOs who earn over a 1,000 times more than their typical employee does, according to a report complied earlier this month by MyLogIQ, an aggregator of public company information, which looked at 325 proxy statements filed by S&P 500 companies to the Securities and Exchange Commission...."

And from 2020:

We did the math to calculate how many hours it took Bob Iger to make what his workers earned in one year when he ran Disney

"Former Disney CEO Bob Iger took 9 hours and 37 minutes to earn what a typical employee made in a year."
                                Thanks for the link! I was too tired before my morning coffee to get the exact numbers. 😂 I don’t say this to be a Debbie downer; I say it so that the public knows what we’ve lost during this closure. Many tenured cast will not be returning due to how the company has treated them. The resort we left will not be the same one we return to, as I know we will be without some of the most passionate workers. Frankly, the ones that do care about what they do are now realizing that we’re only the ”family” our leadership referred to us as when it's convenient for them. Otherwise, we’re all mere numbers. Especially for those outside of the unions, people with high seniority have realized that despite their loyalty to the company, the company has no loyalty to them. Entire departments have been eliminated, entertainment will be a shell of its former self, and many of the people that put up with the low wages despite their love for the company have moved on.
                                Last edited by Disneylandfan67; 11-02-2020, 02:15 PM.
                                All right, listen! I didn't want to have to do this, but you leave me no choice. Here comes the smolder.

DLR Annual Passholder, Disney nerd
                                Trip Reports:
                                From California to Walt Disney World: The Road to Orlando (Coming soon)

Comment

It occurs to me that a lot of Disney's recovery will depend on the employees, and even on us--the fans. Can we recover our enthusiasm and sense of magic? Walt put a lot into conceiving these wonderful worlds, but it's the people who make it live and breathe. We bring those things with us when we wrk or visit there. It's difficult now--just talked to tonight who said that she wouldn't buy a day ticket to get in if passes don't work (Disney hasn't said that about Disneyland, but apparently cancelling all passes is happening in Tokyo.) But will many others buy those day tickets and fill the place??? When, and who knows when, the hours and attendance return and all/most of the park experiences come back, she'll think of going on her leftover pass or getting another one--she had monthly payments and has not asked for a refund yet. Neither have I and it's because I hope Disney will show some loyalty and I will go back when the time is right. That's loyalty, but it's not always returned by businesses.

Comment

Get rid of the idiot Governor and watch how fast DL would return!
                                    sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Originally posted by Druggas View Post
                                      Get rid of the idiot Governor and watch how fast DL would return!
                                      The only idiots in this sad situation are the people who refuse to understand that the economy can't recover until the pandemic spread is under control, and the people who make Orange County a red zone by not wearing their damn masks.
                                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

The only idiots in this sad situation are the people who refuse to understand that the economy can't recover until the pandemic spread is under control, and the people who make Orange County a red zone by not wearing their damn masks.
                                        IMO
                                        and that statement is A "BINGO"
                                        I agree.....
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X