Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Mountain Asteroid Effect

Does anyone have any pictures or footage of the exploding asteroid effect that debuted around 2005? I recently saw an image on reddit that shows the black spherical mass at the top of the lift hill, and was totally unaware that it was used for an old effect!

I still remember its predecessor, the light-up red hexagon...thingie. It was random, made no sense and no one know what it was supposed to be.

But it was still cool.

Comment

I miss the red hexagon sphere and I miss the glowing carts and window from the queue as well. Space Mountain is a classic and one of the greats but it was once a bit better imho.

Comment

Asteroid Effect

that cool-Asteroids has been on the News lately
        other day,
        one was very close to us(((
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
          I miss the red hexagon sphere and I miss the glowing carts and window from the queue as well. Space Mountain is a classic and one of the greats but it was once a bit better imho.
          Honestly, the current version is missing a little bit of pizazz. The beginning of the ride is packed with pretty great effects, but after the lift hill, its all stars at that point.

An exploding asteroid, or even the glowing ball would do the ride some good, but... #RIPImagineeringEffect

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
          Asteroid Effect

that cool-Asteroids has been on the News lately
          other day,
          one was very close to us(((
          Well... it is 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

Honestly, the current version is missing a little bit of pizazz. The beginning of the ride is packed with pretty great effects, but after the lift hill, its all stars at that point.

An exploding asteroid, or even the glowing ball would do the ride some good, but... #RIPImagineeringEffect

Well... it is 2020.
            tell me=what a (BAD)year....IMO.....
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

What about the floating chocolate chip cookie?

Comment

I can't help but feel that with a little creative screen/scrim placement, it could have worked without ruining the rest of the ride.

At this point, I would at least appreciate if disney were do just, make a special on Disney+ and explain what it was SUPPOSED to look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                  I can’t quite explain why, but the glowing hexagon was always strangely disturbing to me as a kid.

that said, I don’t miss it at all. lol

I do miss the windows in from the queue (and the view from the peoplemover too)
                  Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                  Walt Disney World
                  Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                  1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                  2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                    What about the floating chocolate chip cookie?
                    P-Pardon...?

I guess I missed out on a lot during my Disneyland dry spells.

Comment

Yes! The chocolate chip cookie...iconic!

There's a lot about pre-2005 Space Mountain that I miss. I'm glad they made the ride darker, but...that's pretty much it. The blue light tunnel is usually broken, and the 'spinning laser' lift hill effect is wayyyyy less impressive than the press releases made it out to be.

Comment

One of the big changes for the 2005 version was minimizing "light leaks" in any way possible. This included the covering of the viewing area windows and a redesign of the star projectors inside the mountain. My understanding is that the asteroid effect was disabled after soft opening due to it lighting up too much of the track and ceiling above. An identical version was installed in the Hong Kong version of the mountain and still remains lit up to this day. Garner Holt manufactured the asteroid, which you can see unpainted during construction under the "show action equipment" section of their portfolio here.

Comment

Originally posted by Zipcoaster21 View Post
                          One of the big changes for the 2005 version was minimizing "light leaks" in any way possible. This included the covering of the viewing area windows and a redesign of the star projectors inside the mountain. My understanding is that the asteroid effect was disabled after soft opening due to it lighting up too much of the track and ceiling above. An identical version was installed in the Hong Kong version of the mountain and still remains lit up to this day. Garner Holt manufactured the asteroid, which you can see unpainted during construction under the "show action equipment" section of their portfolio here.
                          Ah! This has everything I was looking for. Thank you!

I wonder if there's a way to add elements like these without disturbing the darkness so terribly. It really begs the question –– are there show elements from Hyperspace Mountain that could make Space Mountain better without succumbing to total Star Wars fanfare? There's a lot more happening visually in Hyperspace Mountain, which is why that iteration has such a strong following.

Comment

The "chocolate chip cookie" effect was just a projection, correct?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Bob Weaver; 11-23-2020, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X