Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment

Word is getting around (mostly by that of CM's) that Pirates of the Caribbean is currently going through another refurbishment at Disneyland Resort.

It hasn't been long since the 2018 refurbishment –– what possible work could they be doing? Any guesses?

Also this is purely speculation, but I know during my last visit (March 2020), one of the Jack Sparrow animatronics was missing near the bride auction scene. Does one think they may be getting rid of him entirely?

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
    ...Also this is purely speculation, but I know during my last visit (March 2020), one of the Jack Sparrow animatronics was missing near the bride auction scene. Does one think they may be getting rid of him entirely?
    If true, here's some speculation as to why: Johnny Depp is going to be center stage in a series of very public and very ugly legal battles, for what may be a very long time.

U.K. court rules against Johnny Depp in libel action

Johnny Depp lost his high-stakes libel case Monday against The Sun tabloid newspaper for labelling him a "wife beater," as a judge said he believed the actor had abused his ex-wife and that she frequently feared for her life.

In a decision that has been cheered by campaigners against domestic abuse, Justice Andrew Nicol said the defendants had proved during the trial in London that their allegations against Depp were "substantially true." Depp's lawyers said they would appeal the decision.

Over the course of nearly three weeks this summer, Nicol had heard lurid — and irreconcilable — accounts from Depp and his ex-wife Amber Heard in which each accused the other of abuse.

"I have found that the great majority of alleged assaults of Ms. Heard by Mr. Depp have been proved to the civil standard," Nicol wrote in his ruling.

In arguably the biggest English libel trial of the 21st century, Depp sued News Group Newspapers, publisher of The Sun, and the newspaper's executive editor, Dan Wootton, over an April 2018 article that accused him of assaulting fellow actor Heard.

The ruling deals a big blow to Depp's reputation that could damage a lucrative movie career, which has seen the actor take the lead in some of the most popular family movies in recent times, from Edward Scissorhands to, most lucratively, the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. That comes with an indeterminate financial cost on top of the several million dollars in legal costs he will likely be required to pay following Monday's ruling.

A lawyer for Depp, 57, described the decision as "perverse as it is bewildering."

"The judgment is so flawed that it would be ridiculous for Mr. Depp not to appeal this decision," Jenny Afia said in a statement.

An attorney for Heard, meanwhile, said the verdict was "not a surprise" for anyone who followed the trial.

Historically, Britain's libel laws have been seen as favouring public figures and tough on media outlets and publishers.

The Sun called the decision a "stunning victory for press freedom."

At the heart of the Sun's characterization of Depp as a "wife-beater" were allegations it printed that the actor had assaulted Heard 14 times in locations around the world.

Heard, 34, said the abuse was largely fueled by Depp's heavy drug and alcohol use and that he could turn into "a self-created third party," which he referred to as "The Monster." She alleged that at various time between 2013 and 2016 he hit, slapped and shoved her, pulled her hair and threw bottles "like grenades" at her.

Nicol noted several instances in which Heard feared for her life, including a "three-day hostage situation" that Heard said took place in Australia in March 2015 while Depp was filming a Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

"I accept her evidence of the nature of the assaults he committed against her," the judge wrote about the episode in Australia. "They must have been terrifying."

In court, Depp accused Heard of making up her allegations, while acknowledging wide-ranging drug problems. However, he insisted that he is "not a violent person, especially with women," a characterization that was backed up by former partners Winona Ryder and Vanessa Paradis.

The judge found that 12 instances of domestic violence had occurred and said that was sufficient to rule against Depp.

He also accepted Heard's evidence that the allegations she made against one of the world's most popular actors have "had a negative effect on her career as an actor and activist."

Depp argued that the allegations caused "serious harm" to his reputation and "significant distress and embarrassment." His lawyers said the case was about clearing his reputation and nothing to do with any potential financial award — in the U.K., there's a notional ceiling of around 300,000 pounds ($515,000 Cdn) on libel awards, small in comparison to those possible in the U.S.

Depp is also suing Heard for $50 million US in Virginia over a Washington Post op-ed essay that she wrote about domestic violence.

The essay talks about her experience being abused but does not name Depp. The trial is due to be held next year.

"Very soon, we will be presenting even more voluminous evidence in the U.S.," said Elaine Charlson Bredehoft, Heard's attorney in the U.S.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Jack Sparrow/Johnny be good, strike again interesting
      I can see...Disney does not want nor longer Depp name tie to the company.......
      ( But , I think it to late) IMO
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

^ Johnny Depp's legal battles has definitely been the front of mind. If they got rid of Captain Jack, I definitely wouldn't miss him. I don't mind the occasional film prop here and there, but adding Jack's character in Depp's likeness has always thrown me.

Comment

The only Sparrow that I don't mind is the one at the very end as you go up the waterfall. All the others should go.

Comment

^ Johnny Depp's legal battles has definitely been the front of mind. If they got rid of Captain Jack, I definitely wouldn't miss him. I don't mind the occasional film prop here and there, but adding Jack's character in Depp's likeness has always thrown me.
            With all the accusations of drugs, alcohol and wife abuse, one might almost say that Disney may soon find itself, um... "out of its Deppth."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

MiceChat confirmed this back in March, during the inital planned 2 week closure:

Perhaps to use up their project budgets before the axe is brought down on them, Disneyland has rushed Pirates of the Caribbean and some additional attractions into refurbishment.
              I wouldn't be surprised if PoC, IASW, and the soon to be rethemed Splash were all drained, to prevent internal rot.
              A week ago we were enjoying Food and Wine Festival and obsessing over how long it was taking to build a new set of stairs in Tomorrowland. Then, a rapid

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                Jack Sparrow/Johnny be good, strike again interesting
                I can see...Disney does not want nor longer Depp name tie to the company.......
                ( But , I think it to late) IMO
                Disney has not cast Depp in any movies since Pirates 5, which came out 3 years ago. And I don't think they will be working with him in the near future. Whether they remove Jack from PoC or revoke his Disney Legend status, is anyone guess. Though, I think Depp's ex-wive, Amber Heard will be joining Depp on the Hollywood blacklist, based on the Anti-Heard petitions springing up....

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

With all the accusations of drugs, alcohol and wife abuse, one might almost say that Disney may soon find itself, um... "out of its Deppth."
                Click image for larger version

Name:	5c2dc88ce2901dd2660f775f924ac76a.jpg
Views:	2754
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	8629251
                Jan 24, 2019 - statler and waldorf, featuring this image

Comment

They're adding a loop.

I'm sorry, I dunno if that's a running gag here anymore.
                  "Have I gone mad?"
                  "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                    Disney has not cast Depp in any movies since Pirates 5, which came out 3 years ago. And I don't think they will be working with him in the near future. Whether they remove Jack from PoC or revoke his Disney Legend status, is anyone guess. Though, I think Depp's ex-wive, Amber Heard will be joining Depp on the Hollywood blacklist, based on the Anti-Heard petitions springing up....
                    Well, at least no one will accuse Depp fans of following the Heard...

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post
                      They're adding a loop.

I'm sorry, I dunno if that's a running gag here anymore.

No worries, it's always good when the loop gag returns. You know what they say -- "What goes around comes around."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                        MiceChat confirmed this back in March, during the inital planned 2 week closure:

I wouldn't be surprised if PoC, IASW, and the soon to be rethemed Splash were all drained, to prevent internal rot.
                        Specific to Pirates, the term “large overhaul” is being used among Redditor's. I don’t think what they’re doing is a two-week job. Of course, my sources are unconfirmed rumors, but if the term “overhaul” is being used, one can’t help but be curious. 😉

Attached Files

Comment

Specific to Pirates, the term “large overhaul” is being used among Redditor's. I don’t think what they’re doing is a two-week job. Of course, my sources are unconfirmed rumors, but if the term “overhaul” is being used, one can’t help but be curious. 😉
                          When I meant by the two week closure, I meant when the parks were still planning to be closed for two weeks. Not the ride.

Comment

I couldn't care less about Depp's legal issues, but I would welcome Jack Sparrow's removal from the ride because I always felt that the movie additions messed up the storyline and atmosphere of the ride. Shanghai pirates works because it is 100% based on the movies, but CA is mostly the classic ride with movie elements awkwardly shoehorned in and the movies have been feeling like a tired out "brand" here in the States for a while now.

Comment

I think i’d be equally ok with keeping or removing Capt Jack elements. I try and separate the bad behavior of actors from the works they’ve been part of.

What i’m more concerned with is reliability. One thing i always think about when i hear about POTC refurbs is an experience i had two years ago where it was down nearly the entire time we were there due to what i heard later was a hydraulic fluid leak causing the boats to slip when starting up the waterfall at the end and getting stuck. It always surprises me to think about a ride that has been so reliable to us for so long having an issue that kept it down for the better part of a week. That said, any maintenance that occurs during this down time has my grateful acceptance. 👍🏼
                              Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                              Walt Disney World
                              Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                              1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                              2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Before anyone gets too excited by the possible removal of jack sparrow, which I’m doubtful of anyway, let me remind you a reboot of the franchise is coming starring Margot Robbie as Redd, which will probably have an impact on the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
                                  Before anyone gets too excited by the possible removal of jack sparrow, which I’m doubtful of anyway, let me remind you a reboot of the franchise is coming starring Margot Robbie as Redd, which will probably have an impact on the ride.
                                  Considering that her AA is relatively brand new, I doubt having her character as the central one in a new film would bring about more significant change on the ride. At most, we could possibly get new dialog that replaces what she currently says.
                                  Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                                  Walt Disney World
                                  Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                                  1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                                  2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

No worries, it's always good when the loop gag returns. You know what they say -- "What goes around comes around."
                                    Still waiting for a "L O O P" corn dog
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

If it's not removing Johnny Depp, then let us form a circle and pray the harpsichord returns.

Comment

If it's not removing Johnny Depp, then let us form a circle and pray the harpsichord returns.
                                        You know until you mentioned it, I didn't realize it was missing. But looking at some video I took on the ride, it is missing.
                                        "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X