Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting help with three photos from Disneyland taken the year 1999

Hello.
    I am currently working on scanning and sorting old family photos, attempting to get them in somewhat order and also write descriptions for each photo such as location and what's in the photo. Among my photos there are many pics from Disney World, Seaworld, Universal Studios, MGM Studios etc. I have managed to get most of them sorted and written descriptions for most of them too on my own, but there a some mystery photos I really could use some help with. So I discovered this forum and it appears there are sections for most of these parks and I was hoping maybe someone in here would be able to help. I wrote the admin prior to posting this and was told I could create a thread with my photos along with questions.

So here I'm posting links to the first photos I'm wondering about. They're all from Disneyland in Anaheim and they're all taken on November 24, 1999. My questions are:

Pic1: https://ibb.co/PwFydNP - Is it possible to tell where in the park this photo was taken? Also, what is that stuff in the background? Is it something that was put in there especially for the holiday season?

Pic2: https://ibb.co/Gd6Yz1x - Horrible picture but I would like to know what it is of and where in the park that thing was photographed at? Might be impossible to tell but I thought I'd ask.

Pic3: https://ibb.co/6mJJLF7 - What is that castle thing called and where in the park is it located? Is it always there or just for the Christmas season?

I hope someone knows something about these photos. After these photos are out of the way I have photos from other parks.

Sincerely, Antoinette

My best guess for the first photo would be the central hub at the end of Main Street in front of the Castle. The trees being lit for the holiday season.

No idea about the second.

The third photo is a picture of the outside of the It’s a Small World ride. It’s located in Fantasyland. it’s always there. However. the lights on it are just for the holidays.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D184C284-2577-4204-883D-BD0D223D1312.png
Views:	1301
Size:	6.79 MB
ID:	8629384The ‘it’s a small world” photo looks to be The Light Tragic (couldn’t help myself 😝) .... Light Magic terraced viewing area on the right near The Motor Boat Cruise side. Could be the “mirror” copy of the Light Magic infrastructure on the left ... which was more for traffic flow than a designated viewing area.
      MY SIGNATURE:
      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Here are a couple of photos that show what the Small World building looks like during the holidays, taken from a slightly greater distance that show the building a little better.Click image for larger version

Name:	its-a-small-world-holiday-bright-16x9.jpg?1528480186297.jpg
Views:	1231
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	8629389
        Click image for larger version

Name:	small-world-side-view-exterior-disneyland-2015.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	8629388

Comment

My best guess on the 2nd is some kind of holiday specific decoration either statically placed somewhere or part of a parade float. Anything beyond that would require a greater understanding of where in the park the pic was taken.
          Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
          Walt Disney World
          Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
          1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
          2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

The first pick almost looks like it's right at the beginning of DTD by the tram entrance just past the fountain.

Comment

The first picture is definitely of the hub, facing north. At the bottom of the picture, you can even see part of the trolley tracks (where you see the curving shape in the pavement).
              The second is one of the holiday wreaths that decorate the small world mall area during the "holiday" overlay period. Each one represents a different country/continent/theme.

Click image for larger version  Name:	25-1999-11-24-Disneyland-1313-South-Harbor-Boulevard-Anaheim-CA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.48 MB ID:	8629395

According to "disunplugged", this is the one for "Africa". The wreath looks a little different in the second picture, with those zebra striped balls, giraffes, etc. (the daytime picture is from 2011), but the cutout of the bird holding the bell definitely matches.
              http://disunplugged.com/2011/12/01/d...world-holiday/
              Attached Files

Comment

Excellent thread! This brings back memories of Ortizmo2000's great Disneyland photo guessing game thread, "Where are we?"
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                  Excellent thread! This brings back memories of Ortizmo2000's great Disneyland photo guessing game thread, "Where are we?"
                  Yeah, I was going to suggest this would make a great guessing game. Post obscure photos and ask "where is this?".

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                    The first pick almost looks like it's right at the beginning of DTD by the tram entrance just past the fountain.
                    Good guess. Only problem- there was no Downtown Disney in 1999. My guess for picture #1 is Main Street, just South of the hub coming up to Coke Corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                      Looking through that thread, all I can say is Wow. You play at a much higher level than me :-).

Comment

Originally posted by PlutoSpace View Post

Looking through that thread, all I can say is Wow. You play at a much higher level than me :-).
                        Someday I’ll have to get a hold of my parents photo albums from my childhood trips to Disneyland, get them scanned, and perhaps we can start up a new version of that thread (or just Resurrect the old one)

I think that would be a fun diversion.
                        Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                        Walt Disney World
                        Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                        1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                        2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Wow thank you so much for all the replies, makes me so happy! You guys are the best. If you enjoyed these photos I will try to get together the photos from the other parks that I was not able to ID and post it in the Disney World / Sea World / Universal Studios subforums.

Antoinette

Comment

The first picture looks to be Main Street near the Plaza Inn. It looks to be one of the planters that separate the two walking paths on the east side of the street. It could also be the planter on the west side of the street near where the information booth used to be.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for all your help! I posted another thread in the Walt Disney World forum where I'm requesting more help from the theme parks in Orlando. If any of you are familiar with those I'd love you to take a look in there. Here is a direct link to the thread: https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...-the-year-1996

Comment

Wow those years take me back, I had the hub which of course is the hub yet almost looks like the the pathway to the right of the castle toward the Matterhorn but old age has faded my memory, whoever found the bird wreath one is pure genius. Thanks for sharing, I could look at old park pictures all day.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X