Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future of Smuggler's Run in a post pandemic world? 3D glasses as well?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of Smuggler's Run in a post pandemic world? 3D glasses as well?

1. Remember how we were all looking forward to the "interactive features of this new ride? Now, who is going to want to touch buttons anymore? Could Smuggler's Run face the same fate as Superstar Limo? Just bad timing? What about interactivity in general? I could see more hand gesture recognition technology be a good thing.

To be honest,
    We were pretty disappointed with the ride, given how much hype there was leading up to its opening.

2. What is going to happen to 3D based rides? Will they be reverted to 2D? Or is 2 1/2-D the future?
    2012-2015 Era DCA rides/attractions we went on regularly:
    Soarin' Over California
    Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
    Radiator Springs Racers
    Grizzly River Run
    California Screamin'
    Aladdin-A Musical Spectacular

2019 Era-Present DCA rides/attractions we go on regularly:
    Grizzly River Run
    Radiator Springs Racers
    Incredicoaster

Couple points and thoughts:
    • This attraction is up and running at WDW today (currently with a 60 min wait). It’s definitely not going anywhere (comparisons to Superstar Limo are way off IMO)
    • the pandemic is not permanent. eventually, people will become comfortable with touching things others have without being sanitized first.
    • I expect the ride to get upgraded at some point with either multiple adventures to experience, or at least a change down the road if the existing story starts to become stale.
    As for the 3D question. I personally prefer 2D. 3D tends to gives me a headache so I limit my time on the attractions that use it. MF:SR however hasn’t given me any issues and as a result i’d love to see that tech used in place of 3D going forward if possible.
    Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
    Walt Disney World
    Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
    1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
    2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

There is this thing called hand washing and hand sanitizer, and 3D glasses are already sanitized prior to use now anyway. As far as smugglers run we personally loved it great detail and really fun.
      BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Ok, everybody say it with me now: "Covid doesn't spread from surfaces."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/podca...es-or-animals/

Comment

Originally posted by Deez Nutz View Post

Exactly. We just had an LA County health inspector leave my work. He said there is less than 1% chance of getting the virus from touching something.
          "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

I would be much more worried about breathing the air in those cockpits. As for touching the buttons, I already worry about norovirus etc. and wash my hands accordingly.

Comment

You’re misquoting and misrepresenting your own source there. Promoting absolutes around something that has significant grey areas is either ignorant or purposely destructive, and has no place in this forum.

So tired of saying this. Take the covid talk somewhere else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F5C482CB-DDC8-465A-A2F2-9B98C305D0F7.jpeg
Views:	713
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	8629874
              Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
              Walt Disney World
              Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
                You’re misquoting and misrepresenting your own source there. Promoting absolutes around something that has significant grey areas is either ignorant or purposely destructive, and has no place in this forum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F5C482CB-DDC8-465A-A2F2-9B98C305D0F7.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	270.5 KB ID:	8629874
                Bingo. Not to mention, the link was to information that is seven months old -- ancient history in COVID research.
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Huh? This thread is about unnecessary changes to rides due to Covid...

And yes, this information is a seven month old update to the ten month old fear of catching Covid from surfaces. Which we've known for seven months now was unfounded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ning-surfaces/

Comment

And yes, this information is a seven month old update to the ten month old fear of catching Covid from surfaces. Which we've known for seven months now was unfounded.

Actually this thread is about what pandemic level safety precautions may still be desired after it’s over. This was never about COVID itself.

So let me rephrase if that will make you happy.

I’m tired of people using this forum as a sounding board for fringe opinions and half-truths around COVID which if taken literally, encourages people to put themselves or others at higher risk. This isn’t the place for that.

Dropping these ‘debunk the hype’ posts into here has only one purpose, to cause contention and controversy (which will ultimately get this thread closed).

As for the OP’s question, I do not believe that the pandemic safety measures will be necessary after we have finally beaten this. Some minor changes may stick around (hand sanitizer stations for example) but I doubt most of the rest will still be in place after a couple years.
                    Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                    Walt Disney World
                    Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

Once things get rolling with the vaccine, I feel folks will feel comfortable touching surfaces like the ones in Smuggler's Run again. If this is an issue for some, they should probably avoid the entire resort, in general, post-pandemic the same as they would have during. There's no way you go through your Disney day without coming into contact with countless surfaces or areas that hundreds or thousands of other people haven't already. Pulling down the lap bar on Space Mountain is no different than making the jump to Lightspeed. It's part of the reason why the resort is still closed.

As someone who worked in 3D and generally enjoys it, I hope that it doesn't make it's way to Smuggler's Run. Aside from the obvious motion sickness and inaccessibility it would cause for many riders (Forbidden Journey's attempt didn't go so well), my biggest argument against it would be that it simply doesn't make sense in terms of story. I don't mind 3D but I like it when there's an actual reason for riders to be wearing glasses they normally wouldn't built into the narrative or it feels like a natural thing one would do during that type of experience. We never see anyone who pilots the Falcon in film have any need for safety or flight glasses so it would break immersion to have to wear them once in the cockpit.

One attraction that I think should try the 3D goggle route would be Soarin'. The attraction moves slowly enough that I feel motion sickness may not become as large of an issue, soaring through those locales in 3D would likely be stunning and importantly; hang gliding/parasailing eye wear is a very real and protective thing.
                      "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

I know one thing that won't change between a pre-pandemic and post-pandemic world...

I won't be riding Smuggler's Run. I get the worst motion sickness. 🤮

But as for safety precautions, I agree with Mike_M. I think for a while there will be an emphasis on distancing and mask wearing at the resort, but that will be the extent of it. It's totally dependable on when they open.

And on the topic of Smuggler's Run, I think the worst that could happen is they nix the Single Riders line and just keep it to one family per room for a while.

Comment

I’m tired of people using this forum as a sounding board for fringe opinions and half-truths around COVID which if taken literally, encourages people to put themselves or others at higher risk. This isn’t the place for that.
                          Then you will be disheartened to learn that not only WaPo but the NYT have joined the fringe to spread these half-truths.
                          https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/w...-cleaning.html

The hand sanitizer is a (probably) harmless placebo. But in a world of limited resources I don't see a problem with advocating that Disney spend them on more effective safety measures than ones that our best CURRENT scientific understanding don't support. Removing the roof from POC would do more to make us safe from COVID than wiping down the buttons on Smuggler's Run, but I'm not going to impugn anybody's credentials for not advocating that. But improving the air circulation in some of the tight queues or rides in Fantasyland could be a much more effective use of the budget than a hundred sanitizer stations.

I do not believe that the pandemic safety measures will be necessary after we have finally beaten this.
                          Then perhaps you are the minimizer that is insufficiently panicked. A NYT (that fringe rag that thinks we over-sanitize) survey of epidemiologists found several that believe we will be wearing masks long after wide distribution of the vaccine or possibly forever.
                          https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/04/u...s-survey-.html

Comment

Yes it is a COVID thread. But I agree with Mike that it is has been better that we are not turning every thread into a COVID debate which is absolutely worthless because you cannot change anyone's opinion at this point.
                            "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

And on the topic of Smuggler's Run, I think the worst that could happen is they nix the Single Riders line and just keep it to one family per room for a while.
                              Agreed. And as someone who has waited in the single rider line, sometimes it takes just as long as the standby line.

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
                                Once things get rolling with the vaccine, I feel folks will feel comfortable touching surfaces like the ones in Smuggler's Run again. If this is an issue for some, they should probably avoid the entire resort, in general, post-pandemic the same as they would have during. There's no way you go through your Disney day without coming into contact with countless surfaces or areas that hundreds or thousands of other people haven't already. Pulling down the lap bar on Space Mountain is no different than making the jump to Lightspeed. It's part of the reason why the resort is still closed....
                                Completely agree. Additionally, once Covid is in the rearview mirror, it doesn’t mean that there aren’t other viruses and bacteria that were already something to contend with as a part of the parks experience (or traveling in general).

Little kids (and sadly many adults too) are not always the best at washing their hands after using the bathroom and there is always a chance of being exposed to rotavirus or bacteria from surfaces. It was my belief that DL was already doing a lot to keep those kinds of annoying travelers problems at bay with their existing cleaning standards, but DL will never be a sterile environment and we will expose ourselves to plenty of other bugs regardless. if any of the advanced cleaning or safety protocols stick around, it would mostly be helping with that. The main difference there is that in most cases the worst thing you’d have happen is a bad case of diarrhea or something else easily treatable.

By 2022 (unless something new happens between now and then) I personally will not have any concerns about the safety of the parks (so long as i have a couple anti-diarrhea pills in my bag, lol).
                                Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                                Walt Disney World
                                Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

If they limit it to one family per vehicle then everyone can choose their role. I've done single rider a few times and not only is it still a long wait, you always seem to get Engineer as a single rider. I'd probably just ride on auto and enjoy the view if my family was the only one in there.
                                  "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Then you will be disheartened to learn that not only WaPo but the NYT have joined the fringe to spread these half-truths.
                                    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/w...-cleaning.html

The hand sanitizer is a (probably) harmless placebo. But in a world of limited resources I don't see a problem with advocating that Disney spend them on more effective safety measures than ones that our best CURRENT scientific understanding don't support. Removing the roof from POC would do more to make us safe from COVID than wiping down the buttons on Smuggler's Run, but I'm not going to impugn anybody's credentials for not advocating that. But improving the air circulation in some of the tight queues or rides in Fantasyland could be a much more effective use of the budget than a hundred sanitizer stations.

Then perhaps you are the minimizer that is insufficiently panicked. A NYT (that fringe rag that thinks we over-sanitize) survey of epidemiologists found several that believe we will be wearing masks long after wide distribution of the vaccine or possibly forever.
                                    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/04/u...s-survey-.html

I don't quite agree with calling the NYT a "fringe rag", but I do agree that we were repeatedly lied to many times by multiple sources (including the government). I think I posted in MC Gold that I was embarrassed that I bought into the hand washing and sanitizer hype when the virus was clearly one that was transmitted mainly through the air. They lied because they didn't want a run on masks, which would have taken them from healthcare workers when there was already a major shortage.

Based on what we know now, mask wearing and air circulation do much more to prevent the spread of the virus than washing your hands. That does not mean I don't still use hand sanitizer. In fact, I don't touch anything unless there is a Clorox or Sani-cloth wipe between my hands and the object. I do this everywhere at all times (outside my house), but I know it's secondary. Masks and fresh air are the main way to stop the spread. This should not be controversial information.

Comment

^ With the removal of the "No Covid" announcement and PhotoMatt's post supporting the viewpoint of Deez Nutz and TacAlert, it's apparent that MiceChat's Covid discussion policy has been redefined.
                                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                        ^ With the removal of the "No Covid" announcement and PhotoMatt's post supporting the viewpoint of Deez Nutz and TacAlert, it's apparent that MiceChat's Covid discussion policy has been redefined.
                                        This is nonsense. How does the post I quoted minimize COVID in the slightest way?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X