Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes Disneyland's Small World arguably better than WDW's?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes Disneyland's Small World arguably better than WDW's?

Hi everyone!

Please not that this is not about the façade at all (we know that DL's is already the winner here), but I rode DL's IASW for the first time during my visit a couple years ago and I was blown away by how bright, dynamic, and overall impressive the attraction actually is. I remember WDW's always looked a bit stale (the interiors have some empty spaces, some set pieces/rooms break the illusion with some 70's "flatness"...). But I cannot really pinpoint what exactly makes DL's better! I know there is a difference in there being a track in DL while WDW has flooded sets, but this has nothing to do with that either. Is it newer sets? Darker rooms with brighter, newer sets and no bare spaces? What is it !?

IMO = Disneyland's Small World
    Stand Out Better , + Exterior
    with the The garden's around the building are decorated with topiary animals.
    Façade was designed by Disney Imagineer Rolly Crump, who was inspired by Mary Blair's styling.
    than the one in the Magic Kingdom at WDW
    Plus
    Long with the History of the first incarnation of It's a Small World,
    which debuted at the 1964-1965 , New York World's Fair.
    And 1966 ,it one the last Attraction that Walt Disney open at Disneyland !
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I’ve made my comments about the things I’d like to see change inside, but outside it’s definitely perfect in just about every way. Rolly’s clocktower facade, the topiary animals, the recently improved queue.

It always puts a smile on my face.
      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
      Walt Disney World
      Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
      1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
      2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
        I’ve made my comments about the things I’d like to see change inside, but outside it’s definitely perfect in just about every way. Rolly’s clocktower facade, the topiary animals, the recently improved queue.

It always puts a smile on my face.
        Like wise...the area always put a big "SMILE" on my Face......
        Specially around Christmas................
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I haven't been on WDW's since '06, but I think the takeaway after riding that version, was how the"flooded look" put the dolls at a distance from the guests. In DL, they are closer to the guests, which makes the experience more intimate.

In addition, WDW's IASW is the odd hold-out over not retheming for the Holidays, which improves the ride, IMHO.

I will ding DL's version, over the facade"s color scheme. While the white & gold is nice, I prefer the 90s pastel look, which matches the ride better.

Comment

I don't remember the ceilings at the other versions of Small World, but at the otherwise excellent Small World in Anaheim I've always been annoyed that the ceiling looks cheap to me. Micechatters have tried to explain to me the theme is that it's all like grade school classroom, but I still dislike it. That said, I still have always liked this attraction. And that written, I think Disneyland's Small World would be even better if the boats were sped up so the ride were a couple minutes shorter. That way would there would be more to see than can be taken in, like the Haunted Mansion ballroom. People could always ride it again if they really wanted.

I love the holiday version!

I also like the 6 cent U.S. postage stamp with Walt & the Small World dolls. Mary Blair was a wonderful artist, and I've always loved the song by the brilliant Sherman Bros. We sang it in grade school, and I've even liked this tune even when it's been stuck in my head. The ridiculed lyrics are actually excellent.

I thought it was funny that an evil cast member placed a Chucky doll in this attraction during a grad night.

This clip from a low-budget film secretly shot at WDW might weird you out:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY4QsQuWqpI

The Small World at Disneyland Paris is pretty fancy, BTW.
            Last edited by jcruise86; 12-18-2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
              ...I don't remember the ceilings at the others, but at the otherwise excellent one in Anaheim I've always been annoyed that the ceiling looks cheap to me. Micechatters have tried to explain to me the theme is that it's all like grade school classroom, but I still dislike it....
              I’m with you on that. Once you notice the ceiling, it’s difficult to ignore.

I think that flooding the attraction and doing something about the ceiling (both like MK’s version) would cement DL’s version as the best in every way.
              Last edited by Mike_M; 12-14-2020, 05:22 AM.
              Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
              Walt Disney World
              Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_48540.jpg Views:	5 Size:	387.1 KB ID:	8629826 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_48541.jpg Views:	5 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	8629828 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_48542.jpg Views:	5 Size:	232.6 KB ID:	8629830 Here's my reason that DL's is best: it's the one that contains water poured from all the different places from around the world. :-)

Opening day photos (after it was moved from the 1964 NY World's Fair to DL) to show the children from around the world pouring water from their homelands into IASW alongside Walt.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                  This clip from a low-budget film secretly shot at WDW might weird you out:
                  But nothing compares to the Simpsons version.

ALL HAIL THE LIZARD QUEEN!

Last edited by Spongeocto4; 12-14-2020, 11:33 AM. Reason: Removing unnecessary Forum forumula

Comment

While I love the DL's facade and Holiday version, I really do love the flooded look of the WDW one and the indoor queue (although, the added shade at DL helps)! I also do like the addition of the Disney characters throughout the ride...

Facebook | Zazzle site | Twitter | Redbubble

Comment

iceknyght , one would think that the flooded look at WDW would make it better, but I agree with Spongeocto4 with the fact that it not being flooded at DL makes it more intimate. Perhaps all being more cramped together makes it a "fuller" experience? As I mentioned, the one in Orlando also seems to have some sets that have a lot of stale, empty space.

Spongeocto4 DLP was my home park for some time and while the exterior looks, fancy, I would rank DL first, DLP 2nd, and WDW 3rd. The one in Paris has an interior that is waaay to bright and seems stuck in the 90's. It looks more like a flat toy shop than an immersive travel through sets. If the classroom/supermarket ceiling bothers you in the USA, the one in Paris looks like the brightest Target store you've ever seen. During the normal year it's a pity to see that all the sets have lights everywhere that are turned off and are only used during the Xmas overlay.

I think that in all IASW, it would be a huge plussing to paint the celings a neutral colour, darken the ride, and project-map fanciful skies (perhaps make the ride go from daylight to nightime?

Comment

Originally posted by mtlchuck View Post
                        ...I think that in all IASW, it would be a huge plussing to paint the celings a neutral colour, darken the ride, and project-map fanciful skies (perhaps make the ride go from daylight to nightime?
                        This I think would be the most realistic option available at DL. It would certainly make a substantial difference. 👍🏼
                        Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                        Walt Disney World
                        Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...