Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney's place in KC

https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-d...-aOu0mYu8kebOs

Honestly, I don't know how newsy this is, but KCUR (the UMKC NPR station) just posted it, so ...there ya go! Does anyone have any more info about this?

This is a 2018 Google Streets View.

You can get further info here: https://thankyouwaltdisney.org/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Laugh-O-Grams.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	8630105
    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Interesting................
      Walt Disney work for
      Laugh-O-Gram Studio, (Kansas City ) which went into bankruptcy in 1923.

Disney moved to Hollywood in July 1923.
      Last edited by Eagleman; 12-23-2020, 07:19 PM.
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet, but I live just a stones throw from this building and I would LOVE to see something done with it. I'll be the first one to admit that I've spent my fair share of time standing outside imagining Walt taming a tiny mouse in his desk! To be honest though, at this point it's sort of a "I'll believe it when I see it" situation. They fixed the facade, maybe 10 years ago? And since then I don't know if it's seen a single hint of progress.

I think it's an area of the city that people are still hesitant to invest in, especially for a museum (an element which it sounds like they've nixed in the most recent plan) but for better or worse it does seem like gentrification is moving in that direction and I do think we could see a time here soon where they can at least get the building open in some form.

For what it's worth, it's a bit of a drive from KC, but there's a Disney museum in Marceline, MO, where Walt lived as a kid, that is actually extremely well done and contains a lot of really cool pieces. I'd recommend it to anyone who ever makes it out this way. On our last visit, our tour guide was a woman whose family housed Walt when he would come back to visit (on account of their house being the only one in town that had air conditioning. ha!), and was quite a treat hearing first hand accounts from someone who spent personal time with Walt. Shame we can't make something like that happen here.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
        Working...
        X