Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Disneyland invite old CMs to reapply?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will Disneyland invite old CMs to reapply?

    Many years ago, when Disneland was desperate for workers, they sent out invites to old CMs to come back. Surprisingly, the even invited some terminated CMs to come back.

    Once Disneyland reopens, will there be enough CMs to staff, considering how long it has been closed and a great many may have moved on.

    Do you think Disneyland may have to resort to again asking old CMs to come back?

  • #2
    Seems like this would be a great question to ask Disney.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think Disney would........be asking old CMs to come back
      That more easy than asking for new hire work!imo
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

      Comment


      • #4
        Probably a mixed bag. I've read that Disney managers often reach out to those they know to see if they are interested in coming back.

        I've also applied to a CM job posting before, and only a week passed before I was brought in for an interview. When Disney needs people, they tend to act fast. It's probably much faster if you've had previous experience with the company.

        Comment


        • #5
          I expect managers will choose the fresh-faced new hires over the established problematic CMs if they can. Not many companies/departments get a clean slate the way Disney has here, and I would be very surprised if non-union CMs who were terrible to work with were rehired.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by UltimateSurvivor View Post
            I expect managers will choose the fresh-faced new hires over the established problematic CMs if they can. Not many companies/departments get a clean slate the way Disney has here, and I would be very surprised if non-union CMs who were terrible to work with were rehired.
            I tend to agree with you. Magic Mountain did not rehire staff for their Christmas event. The only employees I recognized from when the park was open were the maintenance staff who were assisting with traffic control. They have been working since the closure obviously because someone has to maintain the park. The attendants at the toll booth I believe are not MM employees because they do not have name tags and it appears they were brought in from the outside. MM only advertised for entertainers and stilt walkers on their site for this event.
            "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

            Comment


            • #7
              It most likely depends ,what the job is ?
              and if it is union or non-union...........
              and there would be many CM that wouldn't come back........
              So Disney will almost start over with fresh-faced new hires .
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

              Comment


              • #8
                From a safety standpoint, I hope they would hire at least some experienced ride operators.

                If everyone is a 'first day on the job', there could be trouble........

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by micromind View Post
                  From a safety standpoint, I hope they would hire at least some experienced ride operators.

                  If everyone is a 'first day on the job', there could be trouble........
                  You make a Good Point ...........and experience does count in operation ,many parts of the whole resort........
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by UltimateSurvivor View Post
                    I expect managers will choose the fresh-faced new hires over the established problematic CMs if they can.
                    That's not really how Disneyland works. Managers don't hire people. Casting does. And the Union will require Disneyland to offer CMs their jobs back before resorting to new hires or hire-backs.

                    My questions was more along the line of after Disneyland hires back everyone it can and still doesn't have enough people.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Patty Paulson View Post
                      Seems like this would be a great question to ask Disney.
                      Great point.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lighthope View Post

                        That's not really how Disneyland works. Managers don't hire people. Casting does. And the Union will require Disneyland to offer CMs their jobs back before resorting to new hires or hire-backs.

                        My questions was more along the line of after Disneyland hires back everyone it can and still doesn't have enough people.
                        Correct. Union policies rehires Top Seniority down.

                        With the US economy to be tanking for a while, I don't think there will be many vacancies for Unionized employees. I can see temp-hired entertainment for the foreseeable future, though.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

                          Correct. Union policies rehires Top Seniority down.

                          With the US economy to be tanking for a while, I don't think there will be many vacancies for Unionized employees. I can see temp-hired entertainment for the foreseeable future, though.
                          Agree- once again - It most likely depends ,what the job is ?
                          and if it is union or non-union...........
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If they open at 25% capacity they just aren't going to need as many people as when the parks are running at full capacity. Given whatever the attendance parameters are set for reopening I think Disney will rehire/hire in this order:

                            Mandatory union reinstatements/rehires in order of seniority
                            Prior employees 'in good standing' in no particular order
                            New hires

                            I don't think there will be many 'new hire' opportunities. The way union re-hire went where I worked is seniority FIRST and if your position wasn't available you could 'bump' a lower seniority person in a different position as long as you were qualified to do that job. So a wild example; an engineer with 20 years could 'bump' a janitor with 15, but the reverse couldn't happen (unless that janitor had an engineering degree). Managers were SoL as they weren't union members.

                            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                              I don't think there will be many 'new hire' opportunities. The way union re-hire went where I worked is seniority FIRST and if your position wasn't available you could 'bump' a lower seniority person in a different position as long as you were qualified to do that job. So a wild example; an engineer with 20 years could 'bump' a janitor with 15, but the reverse couldn't happen (unless that janitor had an engineering degree). Managers were SoL as they weren't union members.
                              I won't lie.... this sounds incredibly sucky.

                              Disney should do better for their employees, but that sad violin has played one too many times.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Lighthope View Post

                                That's not really how Disneyland works. Managers don't hire people. Casting does.
                                I hope this isn't a stupid question. I've been through the casting process before, and it's quite long (it took almost a whole day). If you've had previous experience with the company, do you have to go through that process all over again, or is it just for new hires?

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

                                  I hope this isn't a stupid question. I've been through the casting process before, and it's quite long (it took almost a whole day). If you've had previous experience with the company, do you have to go through that process all over again, or is it just for new hires?
                                  It's been a loooong time since I went through it, but afaik there is no "expedited" process for former CMs.

                                  The casting process didn't take a whole day, either. Wonder why yours took so long, unless there was a glut of people to wade through.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Lighthope View Post

                                    It's been a loooong time since I went through it, but afaik there is no "expedited" process for former CMs.

                                    The casting process didn't take a whole day, either. Wonder why yours took so long, unless there was a glut of people to wade through.
                                    We were a very big group and we did our casting auditions in a gymnasium of some kind. Very weird, but interesting experience! I wonder where they do auditions in the COVID era, if any.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Welcome back.....here is less pay than before because on your resume you took a year and a half break from your last job...very unprofessional. Also you no longer are a senor level, you are back to level one with less benefits and perks.
                                      Happy Halloween!!!

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                                        Welcome back.....here is less pay than before because on your resume you took a year and a half break from your last job...very unprofessional. Also you no longer are a senor level, you are back to level one with less benefits and perks.
                                        People who quit and rehire always restart at the lowest level. This is the way it's been since the beginning at Disneyland. Unless they rehire within a certain number of days, per union rules if they are under a contract.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X