Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 20th Birthday Grand Californian!!

On this day, January 2 2000, Disneyland officially opened their 3rd hotel, Disney's Grand California Resort & Spa. Unlike the initial failure of DCA, the Grand Californian has remained relatively strong past it opening, and has remain a fixture for the last 2 decades.

While I never had the pleasure of staying at the hotel, I still normally have visited it during previous trips. It was a bright spot during my last trip (which occured in the infamous March shutdown), where I had a nice lunch at the GCH Craftsman Grill.

I know some were disappointed that Disney did not built another Victorian era hotel, similar to the Grand Floridian. However, as a resident of the PNW, I enjoy it's charm and rustic decor. I hope to stay there one day.

Happy Birthday GCH!!!

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
    I know some were disappointed that Disney did not built another Victorian era hotel, similar to the Grand Floridian. However, as a resident of the PNW, I enjoy it's charm and rustic decor. I hope to stay there one day.

Happy Birthday GCH!!!
    I like the - "Charm and Rustic Decor"
    I have some great meals there.....and enjoy the over looks.....
    IMO- It feel like ,that place should be in the Mountains......

It is the BEST Hotel in the Resort .......Happy Birthday Grand Californian!

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I've never been in the Grand Californian but I've seen enough pictures to know it's a sight to see. My only problem with the Grand Californian is location. If Disney wanted DCA to compliment Disneyland, why put in a hotel that takes up a big chunk of DCA? They should have built it across the street and removed the Paradise Pier Hotel.
      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
        I've never been in the Grand Californian but I've seen enough pictures to know it's a sight to see. My only problem with the Grand Californian is location. If Disney wanted DCA to compliment Disneyland, why put in a hotel that takes up a big chunk of DCA? They should have built it across the street and removed the Paradise Pier Hotel.
        I agree........a hotel does take up a big parcel of land .........
        The concept of Disney ......was having Hotels as part of parks.........
        Which they started with Disneyland Paris, with there 'Disneyland Hotel'
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
          I agree........a hotel does take up a big parcel of land .........
          The concept of Disney ......was having Hotels as part of parks.........
          Which they started with Disneyland Paris, with there 'Disneyland Hotel'
          Funny enough, as much as I loved DLP when I was there, I did find the entrance a little underwhelming due to the huge hotel blocking and dwarfing the Main Street Train Station the way it does. Maybe it would be different if I was staying in the hotel, but I’ve never felt the ‘resort’ spin was important, and so it’s lost on me.
          Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
          Walt Disney World
          Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
          1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
          2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

I absolutely love the Grand Californian, It is our DVC home resort and nothing beats the park view DVC units. I love the rustic vibe and feel it fits perfectly. Nothing beats a trip to Disneyland like staying at the Grand it just makes everything more magical.
            BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

We were there on opening day (2-8-00) and stayed at the DCA hotel. There was actually soo much hype about opening day that many people stayed away and we walked around with our arms outstretched and not touched anyone else! Here is a pic of the complimentary map they gave out upon entering from the DCA hotel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0275.JPG Views:	0 Size:	975.6 KB ID:	8630341
              My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

What an amazing memory, I remember it like it was yesterday but now so many years ago.

Comment

I love the craftsman look of the Grand Cal. It's unique and so faithfully executed--at least before some recent refurbishments. I actually haven't seen all the changes, but they said they were streamlining it which I think is code for minimalism/mid-century modern/aka less theming. The lobby looks the same--incredibly impressive and beautiful. Thanks Darth Scottie for the map pic. I remember spending whole early visits looking for a big map of DCA for sale, and I'm not sure they ever made one for sale. I have most of the Disneyland ones that were ever made starting in the 70s--but they stopped making those too. I do own the coffee table book of Maps. Happy birthday Grand Californian!

Comment

Originally posted by pattimarie View Post
                    I remember spending whole early visits looking for a big map of DCA for sale, and I'm not sure they ever made one for sale.
                    The map pictured above (by Darth Scottie) was for sale in the park - I bought one soon after the 2001 park opening and still have it today. A quick search shows it is out there on ebay now.

Comment

Absolutely the best hotel. My wife and I love visiting (and eating, and drinking) at the Grand Californian whether going to the parks that day or not. Lots of wonderful memories there.

Cheers, all!

Comment

Grand Californian Hotel ,is a very relaxing place of it self.
                        A very nice place to go to getaway ,from the parks.........to rest up !
                        Even if one is not a guest at hotel.......
                        and the food there is Disney best =IMO
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The hotel is amazing..never stayed there because it costs an arm and a leg but its a beautiful hotel
                          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                            The hotel is amazing..never stayed there because it costs an arm and a leg but its a beautiful hotel
                            Price went up ,that arm and a 2 legs.......lol
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                              To me all of the Disneyland resort hotels are so expensive. The whole supply and demand thing I suppose. If I were not a DVC member I would never have stayed there either. Such an amazing experience though. The price I have never understood though is the Paradise pier. That is literally just like every hotel on Katella and is 300 dollars a night.

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

To me all of the Disneyland resort hotels are so expensive. The whole supply and demand thing I suppose. If I were not a DVC member I would never have stayed there either. Such an amazing experience though. The price I have never understood though is the Paradise pier. That is literally just like every hotel on Katella and is 300 dollars a night.
                                It the concept...if they got the name "Disney"....the price is higher......because of the location and brand .
                                I agree with you ......literally they just like every hotels on Katella, except the price be cheaper and further away !
                                IMO
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Paradise Pier is great if you have a room with a view of DCA. I spent hours at night watching the workers scurry around doing their jobs after park closing time. The downside, there are 3 elevators and trying to get one is damn near impossible.
                                  My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Scottie View Post
                                    Paradise Pier is great if you have a room with a view of DCA. I spent hours at night watching the workers scurry around doing their jobs after park closing time. The downside, there are 3 elevators and trying to get one is damn near impossible.
                                    I too enjoyed watching the workers when we had a park view at the grand Californian. We sat on our Balcony and just watched the after hours fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

It the concept...if they got the name "Disney"....the price is higher......because of the location and brand .
                                      I agree with you ......literally they just like every hotels on Katella, except the price be cheaper and further away !
                                      IMO
                                      Definitely paying for the Disney name and the location

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

Kinda but Its rare they are sold out...so more like Disney refuses to let the "value" drop. Also I don't know what hotels you stay out but I for sure stayed at places for under 200.
                                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X