Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Changes to "Galaxy's Edge"?

So, rumor has it that Disney might be making some adjustments to "Galaxy's Edge".

"Jim Hill, a Disney historian, recently told the Disney Dish podcast that 'The Mandalorian' characters might roam in Galaxy’s Edge in the near future." https://www.deseret.com/entertainmen...e-of-skywalker

Knowing how Disney took it on the chin from opening day of GE and the shellacking the last Trilogy got at the box office, it wouldn't surprise me that Disney will milk the "Mandalorian" harder than Luke Skywalker milking a Thala-siren.
    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

I've heard this somewhere else and it wouldn't surprise me if Disney bailed out of The Sequel Trilogy (TST). Since Batuu is a generic planet, not shown in any of the movies, it can exist anywhere in the galaxy and in any timeline. Since The Mandalorian is so popular, set it's timeline then. Since Kylo would be a newborn and the First Order didn't exist at that time certain things in the area would need to change but it's nothing that couldn't be built off-site and trucked in on a long weekend.

Smugglers Run doesn't need to change much, just dialog and a few set pieces. I'm sure Hondo Ohnaka has been a smuggler for a long time. Maybe this is the time that the Falcon was stolen from Han and Chewie.
    Rise of the Resistance needs more work but a story wouldn't be hard to create, there are still factions of the Empire hanging on in the galaxy far far away. Obviously, Rey is out and BB-8 could be modified to an early BB prototype.

Here's a few more things:
    First Order banners and ships are removed and replaced with something more to the timeline.
    The two X-Wings would need to be changed to the older variant (new engines).
    TST characters replaced with TOS characters (Chewie is still hanging around because of the Falcon being nearby).
    First Order storm-troopers get old style helmets but now they are working for Moff ?whoever?
    Some of the new walk-around characters can be Mando and Grogu, A Jedi and his Padowan on a mission for Master Skywalker, Very young Padawans going to the Jedi Academy annex (Jedi Academy can be moved from Tomorrowland now)

Galaxies Edge wouldn't be hard to change except for who to replace Kylo in ROTR. I'm unaware of any unknown Sith but where was Snoke at this point in the timeline?
    Last edited by MRaymond; 01-09-2021, 05:42 PM. Reason: Added Snoke
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

I’ve voiced some strong opinions around here for SW:GE.

I’m hesitant to believe this current rumor.

While changing the entire land to a different timeline does solve concerns about maintaining theme and story, there are still a couple problems that I think would either prevent this from happening or end up seriously breaking the theme of the land.

First, the biggest problem with changing the land to the time period of The Mandalorian is ROTR and the lack of a Darth Vader/Kylo Ren character. There just isn’t a recognizable enough villain in the show yet to appeal to both hard core and casual fans. Moff Gideon from the Mandalorian as a replacement for General Hux might work, but there isn’t a force wielding villain at all in the show so that entire threat in the ride becomes difficult/improbable to replace, and would require a huge story re-write that would have to remove the force from it completely. Kids expect to see a bad guy with a red lightsaber. That’s something the Mandalorian does not and most likely will never have.

Secondly, with Disney about to have lost a full year of revenue, making millions of dollars of changes to the land this soon after it opened is just not a realistic expectation.

Lastly, The Mandalorian show is already starting to make ties to the last 3 movies. The shows are something that will make those movies make more sense, and have more significance overall. To me, that isn’t Disney trying to erase them, it’s Disney acknowledging them and working to make them even better. In that case, they have no reason to do a major overhaul of the land.
      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
      Walt Disney World
      Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
      1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
      2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Yeah, there's no time and money to overhaul the land to a different timeline.

The much simpler and safer bet is they will abandon all timelines and just start selling Mandalorian merchandise along with staging character meet and greets. It may raise an eyebrow amongst Star Wars purists, but they'll still pay for entrance while all other guests, the majority of the audience, simply won't care.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
          ... Disney will milk the "Mandalorian" harder than Luke Skywalker milking a Thala-siren.
          I have no opinion on the rumor, but that, ladies and gents, gets my vote for quote of the year. (Yeah, the year is young, but it'll be a cold day on Tatooine before anyone tops it.)

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
          - Bob Chapek

Comment

I'm going to say something controversial....they'll throw Mando and Grogu in the land and probably not change anything in GE. Period.

And even though some fans will call Disney out for "breaking the Canon", the majority of the guest will not care about the timeline placement at all. Or even register that it exists.

Majority of the themed or historic lands in the Disney parks have never been down to a specific year or point. Its always been "an era" or remains vague. Main Street takes place sometime in the "early 1900s". Tomorrowland takes place in "the not so distant future". Disney even admitted that parts of Cars' Land, technically take place in different points of the Cars timeline.

I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

EDIT: J. Thaddeus Toad already summed it up.

Comment

I’ve mentioned it before, but they were already selling Mandalorian merch in Star Trader prior to the shutdown and have had classic stormtroopers roaming Tomorrowland for years. Adding a roaming Mandalorian to Tomorrowland or a meet and greet there is the simplest and in my opinion, the most likely solution.
              Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
              Walt Disney World
              Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

Mando has 8 spin off's...the Sequels had one failed animated show that no one talks about.

While maybe not this year it will happen...slowly they will had from other time lines. If the High Republic Books and Show does well...do doubt they will start selling Merch in the land and maybe meet and greets as well.

Disney cares about money...TOT wasnt changed to meet any theme it was we have a hot new IP here is a cheap way to add it.

Mando also works really well for a stunt show because the voice lines can be pre recorded and the actor in a costume hiding them. So would make sense himself, Boba, and so on can be added into the land.

Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I think J Thaddeus Toad is right. GE is so generic in the first place, even someone interested in canon can't really complain if they mix up timelines. GE never really had many specific places or timelines associated with it. Some characters like Chewbacca are in every timeline because they live so long. Robots too. I just don't see a big conflict if they add Mandolorian. And I don't think they'd spend the money to change the land. They could be talking about changes, hence the rumors, but they won't happen now. They talk abut 100 things at a time, and only a few might ever happen. I think it would be a better investment to add the dining component they originally planned for GE--a sit down restaurant behind Oga's Cantina. It would be nice if they added more of the interactive things they planned originally too--but not holding my breath for that, or the kids ride either. Too bad--it sounded fun, and would make the place seem more completed. But I don't think any money of any great kind will be spent there in the near future.

Comment

...Disney will milk the "Mandalorian" harder than Luke Skywalker milking a Thala-siren.
                    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I have no opinion on the rumor, but that, ladies and gents, gets my vote for quote of the year. (Yeah, the year is young, but it'll be a cold day on Tatooine before anyone tops it.)

Ba-da-bum. "I'll be here all week...twice on Sunday. Try the Veal"
                    We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                    The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
                      Lastly, The Mandalorian show is already starting to make ties to the last 3 movies...
                      Unless I missed something, I haven't seen one tie-in to the last Trilogy. In fact, it appears The Mandalorian is taking great pains as not to link itself with the sequel trilogy. That "little" cameo at the end of Season 2 is kind of a big middle-finger to the sequel trilogy.

We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                      The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Reading some of the posts since my original one (post 2) I do think the outside areas could be more fluid. The attractions stay as they are, stuck in their timelines, except Smugglers Run needs more missions and they can be anywhere in the timeline (like Star Tours). As for walk around characters, simply don't mix timelines. Vader is out for when Kylo is in, Vader is flanked by TOT storm troopers, etc.
                        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

I'm probably what you'd consider your typical SW 'enjoyer'. I wouldn't call myself a 'fan' since I don't steep myself in canon nor the various spinoffs. For me it's the original trilogy and the rest is just 'peripherals', which I think encompasses a HUGE number of park visitors. That being said I really, really loved the Mandalorian and Grogu has stolen my heart. To me the storyline in Mando is closest to the 'heart' of what SW was; a 'space western' with a 'lone hero' and his 'posse' battling the bad guys.

You could plunk Mando, Grogu, Moff Gideon, and especially Cara Dune (a kick-butt role model for young girls, not like some of the other namby pamby 'SW Universe' female characters) into SWGE and I daresay 90% of the guests wouldn't notice or care that they're not 'right' for the setting.

With sightlines buggered up, changes to classic rides and characters, and IPs taking center stage, Disney is far beyond anachronism or 'misplaced reality'.
                          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I'm not aware of any reason Mando and The Child would not be around during the ST. Or, for that matter, any Mandalorian characters, including Boba Fett and Ahsoka. Sure, they all might not make through season 5 or 6 or whatever, but who knows? So far simpler to just integrate them as is.
                            "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post

Unless I missed something, I haven't seen one tie-in to the last Trilogy. In fact, it appears The Mandalorian is taking great pains as not to link itself with the sequel trilogy. That "little" cameo at the end of Season 2 is kind of a big middle-finger to the sequel trilogy.
                              Yes you missed a lot.

Spoilers for the Mandalorian follow...

Season 2 opened up quite a few doors to the sequel trilogy. it became known that the reason the imperials wanted Grogu (the child), was because his midiclorian count (a call back to the prequel trilogy) was being transfused into clones to try and create a force using clone (Snoke).

Discovering that Grand Admiral Thrawn is still alive will most likely mean that he is behind rebuilding the imperial fleet which will explain why star destroyers look different in the sequel trilogy. That also explains the connection to the region where the first order rebuilt itself since that is where Thrawn is from.

The episode where Grogu was taken by the dark troopers showed us the same drop ships used by the first order at the beginning of the force awakens so we are already starting to see First Order tech making its way into the series.

There were many comments made throughout the series so far about how ineffective the new republic has been at winning over parts of the outer rim, which shows how the first order was able to recruit zealots to their cause. In other words, the series is specifically showing us how it is that The First Order can have any support at all and that many people in the galaxy see the Rebels and the New Republic as terrorists, not patriots.

Bringing in Luke at the end of the season wasn’t a middle finger to the sequel trilogy, it was showing that Luke is rebuilding the Jedi and starting up his academy that Kylo Ren will ultimately destroy (Which led to many people speculating if Kylo Ren kills Grogu too or if he escaped).

So, sorry to disappoint you, but The Mandalorian is specifically filling the gaps between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, not diverting away from it. Dave Filoni’s other projects (Clone Wars & Rebels) similarly did this with the Prequel and Original trilogies.
                              Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                              Walt Disney World
                              Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

Yes you missed a lot.

Spoilers for the Mandalorian follow...

Season 2 opened up quite a few doors to the sequel trilogy. it became known that the reason the imperials wanted Grogu (the child), was because his midiclorian count (a call back to the prequel trilogy) was being transfused into clones to try and create a force using clone (Snoke).

Discovering that Grand Admiral Thrawn is still alive will most likely mean that he is behind rebuilding the imperial fleet which will explain why star destroyers look different in the sequel trilogy. That also explains the connection to the region where the first order rebuilt itself since that is where Thrawn is from.

The episode where Grogu was taken by the dark troopers showed us the same drop ships used by the first order at the beginning of the force awakens so we are already starting to see First Order tech making its way into the series.

There were many comments made throughout the series so far about how ineffective the new republic has been at winning over parts of the outer rim, which shows how the first order was able to recruit zealots to their cause. In other words, the series is specifically showing us how it is that The First Order can have any support at all and that many people in the galaxy see the Rebels and the New Republic as terrorists, not patriots.

Bringing in Luke at the end of the season wasn’t a middle finger to the sequel trilogy, it was showing that Luke is rebuilding the Jedi and starting up his academy that Kylo Ren will ultimately destroy (Which led to many people speculating if Kylo Ren kills Grogu too or if he escaped).

So, sorry to disappoint you, but The Mandalorian is specifically filling the gaps between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, not diverting away from it. Dave Filoni’s other projects (Clone Wars & Rebels) similarly did this with the Prequel and Original trilogies.
                                That's some amazing gymnastics to make those "connections". Might as well say because there is Hyperspace technology in Episode I there is a direct tie-in to Episode IX. Vague, speculative ambiguities and coincidences does not tie it all together. Also, "people speculating" is not a tie-in either.
                                Last edited by stovk; 01-10-2021, 11:07 AM.
                                “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                                WDW Trips: '81
                                EPCOT Trips: '93
                                Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

That's some amazing gymnastics to make those "connections". Might as well say because there is Hyperspace technology in Episode I there is a direct tie-in to Episode IX. Vague, speculative ambiguities and coincidences does not tie it all together. Also, "people speculating" is not a tie-in either.
                                  Mental gymnastics is acting like the Luke in Mando is incongruent to the Luke in the ST. It was also cameo. A crumb. What a feast...

ETA - This is all speculation so brushing it off while accepting another is absurd.

Comment

Star Wars land sells plenty of merch as is and ROTR is crazy popular (and proof that land would have been fine if it opened on time). I don’t see financial incentive for Disney making significant and costly changes to the land at this point in time. However, adding walk around characters is easy. Another crumb that we already were expecting from long before the land was built (if anything Disney’s initial attempt to remain strict to the theme, despite missing out on popular characters, should be applauded - if only for effort).

Comment

That's some amazing gymnastics to make those "connections". Also, "people speculating" is not a tie-in.
                                      Star Wars has always followed certain story formulas and it’s pretty easy to see where they are going on some things. There may be details that I’m not anticipating yet, but I’d bet disney dollars that I’m either spot on, or at a minimum close to the basic framework of where they are going.

The following is pretty nerdy. LOL

-The Grogu/Snoke connection is not a stretch at all and is the most obvious tie to Rise of Skywalker where they showed that Snoke was a clone. That one isn’t speculation, it’s blatantly obvious.

-Season 2 is filled with comments and references about how little support the New Republic has and that there is still a power vacuum going on. They also spent more time letting the former imperials show their point of view which makes them more than just faceless villains. The best villains are ones that think they are the heroes. This is the only way that they can explain how the First Order would have the ability to return at all which was a big complaint about the sequel trilogy. In other words, The shows are working to explain things in the sequel trilogy that didn’t make sense without more background.

-I admit there is a lot of speculation around Thrawn, but they’ve been laying the groundwork for this with new books detailing his origin and rise in the Empire and If they follow the framework they’ve already setup for the character, it’s not a huge stretch to see where they are going with him. His character in Rebels was involved in advanced fighter design and production. The original arc for his character prior to Disney’s acquisition was as the leader of the empire after the death of the emperor. It would appear that they are setting him up to be leading the remnants of the empire and working to rebuild them into something new (the First Order) and will most likely be a major part of the Ashoka show. Yes, this is speculation, but there is precedent for this speculation.

I know that this will fall on quite a few deaf ears. The way that such tiny details can be so obvious and have such large consequences to hard core fans is something that Dave Filoni (one of the main people behind The Mandalorian) is known to do. The way he retconned one of the prequel era clones to be a background character in Return of the Jedi, or how the main villain in Solo, a movie that many considered to be the reason Star Wars movies lost their momentum, shows up in the series finale of Clone Wars, foreshadowing that connection to Maul and making a reference to a ‘failure’ film shows that they don’t just erase the less popular parts of the saga.

Regardless, my point that Disney is not abandoning the sequel trilogy is still valid.

The bigger point that I’ve always held to though, is that a greatest hits land would break the established theme and be a cheapening of the concept they sold us with Galaxy’s Edge. Some of you may not care, and yes, this would follow suit with what Disney has done with lands like Pixar Pier so it’s not impossible to believe that they will do it. I personally love what they have built and it restored a lot of my faith in WDI and Disney to do amazing new things in the parks. Changing to greatest hits land will undo that faith and confirm that sticking to a theme means nothing to them and that it truly is just a money grab.

I would prefer to not be disappointed like that.
                                      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                                      Walt Disney World
                                      Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                                        Mando has 8 spin off's...the Sequels had one failed animated show that no one talks about.
                                        It's only 3 spin offs. The Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and Rangers of the New Republic. A planned 'crossover event' has been implied, as well.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X