Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland to be one of the first large scale vaccination sites in California

Has anyone seen the articles about Disneyland become a mega vaccination site?

The only article I found has a paywall looking for one that doesn't.

Based on an NPR interview today, it appears to be intended to rival the now well known dodger stadium testing events. Which is entirely possible if they were to make use of the parking structure, or even simply having people park in one of the hotel parking lots and making a line up to the hotels.

Comment

Here's a free article.

California's Disneyland Resort will host a 'super' Covid-19 vaccination site
      https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/o...rnd/index.html

"Disneyland Resort in Anaheim will soon be the first "super" Covid-19 vaccination site in Orange County, California, officials said Monday. The resort will be one of several "super POD" -- Point-of-Dispensing -- sites where thousands of residents daily will be able to get vaccinated, officials said. It will be operational later this week.

"The Disneyland Resort, the largest employer in the heart of Orange County, has stepped up to host the county's first Super POD site -- undertaking a monumental task in our vaccination distribution process," said Andrew Do, acting chairman of the county's Board of Supervisors, in a statement.

More "super POD sites" will be announced as agreements are finalized, officials said.
      Mass-vaccination sites have opened or will soon open in other parts of California, including at Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium, San Diego's Petco Park, and Sacramento's Cal Expo.

Orange County has a population of about 3.1 million. More than 190,000 people there have tested positive for Covid-19 since the pandemic's start and more than 2,100 have died, according to county data.

About 2,221 people remain hospitalized with the virus, more than 500 of whom are in intensive care units.

The county is currently vaccinating people who fall under Phase 1a -- critical and health care workers as well as people 75 years and older. Those who meet the criteria must schedule an appointment to be vaccinated at a Super POD site, the county said.

"It's important to vaccinate as many willing people as possible for Covid-19, and we need the space to do it," county Supervisor Donald P. Wagner said in a statement. "I thank Disneyland Resort and the City of Anaheim for stepping up in the shared effort to give OC residents protection against the virus."

My opinion –– good for them! A refreshing change.

Comment

Yeah, Dodger Stadium was converted from a testing site to a vaccination site this week and Orange county needed something similar to handle all the masses who will be going to get their vaccinations. I applaud Disney for allowing their park to be used as a huge super vaccination site.

I think this also gives us an idea of when DL could possibly re-open -- probably not until late summer or fall of '21 at the earliest or maybe even early '22, as I don't see them using DL to handle vaccines for Orange county and then suddenly shutter it up to re-open the parks.
        Last edited by DarthBrett78; 01-12-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I agree with 2022.
          I think Disney’s perspective is, the sooner large portions of the local population get vaccinated, the sooner they can open. So by allowing that process to be expedited for Orange County at the expense of their resources, they probably see the benefits as well. If they didn’t step up, angel stadium parking lot would have been the next best location, while I could see that becoming a testing site or an additional super pod. Either way, by opening the site it’s advantageous to Disney, by speeding up the immunization process.

Comment

Give the Walt Disney Company major credit for stepping up to this daunting task.

Comment

I'm sure there's some financial incentive for Disney to do this, but this is still a positive thing overall. I think I read that they'll be using the Toy Story lot though, so it's not like people will be getting to go inside the parks to get vaccines.

Comment

I think it a good Ideal........
                I sure they use the parking area........than the parks
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckless Abrandon View Post
                  I'm sure there's some financial incentive for Disney to do this, but this is still a positive thing overall. I think I read that they'll be using the Toy Story lot though, so it's not like people will be getting to go inside the parks to get vaccines.
                  Correct. But as long as any part of the resort property is being used as a massive vaccination site, it will not be able to re-open in any fashion. I don't think anybody thought vaccines would be getting administered in front of the Matterhorn or Sleeping Beauty Castle! lol Though that would be a really interesting and pretty surreal sight to see.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

Correct. But as long as any part of the resort property is being used as a massive vaccination site, it will not be able to re-open in any fashion. I don't think anybody thought vaccines would be getting administered in front of the Matterhorn or Sleeping Beauty Castle! lol Though that would be a really interesting and pretty surreal sight to see.
                    They are setting up for the vaccinations in the former castmember lot next to Toy Story parking. I'm sure they probably would need to also use Toy Story parking. The vaccinations currently require a 15-30 minute observation period so they would have to be walk up.

When the parks reopen, they will most likely be at a reduced capacity so Mickey & Friends + Pixar Pals would be all the parking they would need.

This is a wise move by Disney to get much needed publicity. All for the cost of opening a gate to an empty parking lot. The facilities such as the tents, tables, and other stuff are provided by the County.

Comment

Originally posted by Droberts1395 View Post
                      I agree with 2022.
                      I think Disney’s perspective is, the sooner large portions of the local population get vaccinated, the sooner they can open. So by allowing that process to be expedited for Orange County at the expense of their resources, they probably see the benefits as well. If they didn’t step up, angel stadium parking lot would have been the next best location, while I could see that becoming a testing site or an additional super pod. Either way, by opening the site it’s advantageous to Disney, by speeding up the immunization process.
                      I was actually under the impression Angel stadium was already being used. Each time I've driven by there, the fairground rides are set up in odd rows with cars weaved around in a line. Maybe it was for something besides testing.

Comment

Some (nowadays) rare goodwill coming out of Disneyland.

I guess they finally realized the negative sympathy they were getting after their months-long crusade against California completely backfired.

Comment

Doctor Strange will give guests their shots in DCA,
                          & Doc will inject people in Disneyland.

Comment

I do wonder like others have said if this is truly a sign Disney is not planning to open up this summer. I can't see the vaccinations stopping at that site until well into Fall to get to a point where we have the needed saturation of vaccinated. CVS, Walgreens and Dr offices will also be administering vaccines, Disney is just a mass vax site. and just as most people in OC have been tested mostly via Dr offices, pharmacies or small medical groups rather than massive test sites I see vaccinations happening the same way. It will be a huge help and I applaud Disney stepping up even if it's for their own gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                              I do wonder like others have said if this is truly a sign Disney is not planning to open up this summer. I can't see the vaccinations stopping at that site until well into Fall to get to a point where we have the needed saturation of vaccinated.
                              I don't see any reason on why they couldn't. The vaccine sites could be placed anywhere on property. They could even set it up across the Main gate on Harbor Blvd, as Disney still owns the property that was planned for the Eastern Gateway.

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                              Doctor Strange will give guests their shots in DCA,
                              & Doc will inject people in Disneyland.
                              Wait. If Docter Strange is administering shots in DCA, then what is Doc injecting people with in Disneyland?!

Comment

I heard on the News
                                Knott's will be also a another vaccinations center.........
                                Which would be another, good Ideal !...IMO

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                I applaud Disney stepping up even if it's for their own gain.
                                Agree........I applaud Disney stepping up as well !
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I see were Disneyland is advertising on billboards on Bus system
                                  on Covid-19 safety rules.............
                                  Disney is stepping up and I think that great !
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

As I mentioned in a previous post of mine - I’d bet cash money their will be an opening for vaccinated people. I cannot fathom the Disneyland Resort not requiring it for hotel stays and park entrances. Downtown Disney is another story. The DLR is almost a city of people. There is no way the planet and yea I mean the planet will not expand requirements for vaccination. No way. They’ve already said that Los Angeles City Schools will require it. And yes eventually I could see a time - I hope where Disney doesn’t require it for admission but not initially. With the added anxiety of mutations, variants gaining steam the game has shown just how fragile a return to the normalcy we used to revere is in a galaxy far far away.

Just look how most of us though - oh this is a “temporary thing” and by summer things would normalize. Did it? I’ve said I’m a COVID vaccine trial participant but I have my concerns whether these will permanently get us back to normal or not.

Comment

Disney could be reacting to the fact that vaccine rollout has been lagging, and that's bad for business. Many businesses probably see this vaccine as their saving grace, and the botched plan to get it in as many arms as possible is probably creating a strong sense of anxiety. Disney is hitting two birds with one stone here –– get Orange County to the Yellow Tier as fast as possible, and receive some good PR. I'll take this method over the latter.

Here's the current trajectory so far:

"Ferrer said it will likely take until the end of January to finish vaccinating all health care workers listed in Phase 1A of the priority list. Once that phase is completed, the county will move to Phase 1B. The beginning of that phase will now include people 65 and over, along with select essential workers, such as those in education, child care, emergency services and food and agriculture -- in early February.

Younger residents with serious underlying health conditions are not eligible until Phase 1C, which Ferrer said would likely not begin until late March."

I think that leaves the general public of California to receive the vaccine probably in mid to late April, and maybe prepare Disneyland Resort for a soft summer re-opening.

Who knows! This year is already so unpredictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post
                                        As I mentioned in a previous post of mine - I’d bet cash money their will be an opening for vaccinated people. I cannot fathom the Disneyland Resort not requiring it for hotel stays and park entrances. Downtown Disney is another story. The DLR is almost a city of people. There is no way the planet and yea I mean the planet will not expand requirements for vaccination. No way. They’ve already said that Los Angeles City Schools will require it. And yes eventually I could see a time - I hope where Disney doesn’t require it for admission but not initially. With the added anxiety of mutations, variants gaining steam the game has shown just how fragile a return to the normalcy we used to revere is in a galaxy far far away.

Just look how most of us though - oh this is a “temporary thing” and by summer things would normalize. Did it? I’ve said I’m a COVID vaccine trial participant but I have my concerns whether these will permanently get us back to normal or not.
                                        The issue with requiring a vaccine, is that, it would prevent most families to return. Right now, only medical 1st responders & the elderly are recieving the limited amount of dosages. It will take months (at best) for a significant amount of the population could return.

Could it still become a requirement? Yes, but it wouldn't make any sense now.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X