Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] My Prediction of What's Replacing the AP Program

Like a lot of people, I too am disappointed that the AP program is being discontinued. But...I also saw this as something that was going to happen within time.

The pandemic is certainly to blame in large part as Disney has no timeline on when the CA parks are reopening. Without an a guaranteed start point (I'm betting either July or August), the park would still have had to honor a TON of passes to make up for the difference and save face. It would have been a financial disaster, especially for those who have paid in full (though its good to see that they'll be refunded).

Though we also need to remember that the AP program had been overflowed with local crowds. I've heard my fair share of complaints of how "Disneyland is too crowded" or "the magic is gone". For a while, Disney had no interest in changing that, given how many promotions were offered like the popcorn buckets. It was a cash bonanza. But it also seems like that STGE has changed that.

Though it has had a rough opening of low attendance, they still had to maintain a lottery system for Rise of Resistance and even had one set up for the land in general. That was the point that Disney likely realized that unlimited visits were creating too much stress on the park and how they plan to move forward. We're they gonna do a lottery for Marvel and the Spider-Man attraction as well?

There seems to be a lot of people that expect the old system to return, and even Disney seemed like they were gonna do that, but I'll bet a million that the original AP program won't return.

Here's what I'm predicting,

The parks will obviously have a limited capacity until the pandemic officially ends. This will mean tickets only. This will ensure everyone is on equal footing when they want to return, and that all the AP's take up all the spaces.
    But when things are close to normal,

I'm predicting some sort of "punch card" style system in which rather then paying for unlimited visits, people would be allocated a certain number of visits. Like a lower their could have 5-10, a middle tier could have 10-15, and a higher their could have 15-25. The discounts on food, merchandising and parking would all return as normal.

This way, Disney can still do the limited merchandising events like the popcorn buckets and events like Halloween. But this ensures a more balanced crowd, taking a more conservative approach to "how a day is spent". In fact, locals could theoretically still come after 4 for an after work/after school outing, but would be warned it would still count as a full day.

I'm also predicting that our mobile phones will be playing a larger role. Tickets, fast passes, food, and even merchandising will become consolidated with what you can do with your phone. You'd make your reservation for which day you want to come in, use it to get in, get a fastness to your chosen rides, go experience whatever you want, either ordering food or making a reservation, and continuing to enjoy the rest of the day.

Does this sound like a sound plan? Could this be better?

I'd rather not deal with reservations, but I'd be fine paying for only X amount of visits per month or year. I'd like to see a 2/month with parking included pass if this is the way they choose to go.
    "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

How about Admission Only, “Big 10” Ticket Book, and a “Jumbo 15” Ticket Book.
      We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
      The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post
        How about Admission Only, “Big 10” Ticket Book, and a “Jumbo 15” Ticket Book.
        I for that
        I think Disney wants to revamp- the AP's anyway.........
        But ,I'm for bringing back ticket books........IMO....but....I do not Disney ,will go that far
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Sorry, but little chance I'll pay for a specific # of visits. I like the ability to go for a few hours, or perhaps just at night to see Fantasmic or Fireworks.

Disney just lost my money, not that they'll miss it, but I probably won't be visiting and spending my money there without an Annual Pass without a limit on visits.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalDisneyFan View Post
            Sorry, but little chance I'll pay for a specific # of visits. I like the ability to go for a few hours, or perhaps just at night to see Fantasmic or Fireworks.

Disney just lost my money, not that they'll miss it, but I probably won't be visiting and spending my money there without an Annual Pass without a limit on visits.
            Agreed, I've been a premium/sig plus holder for years, ever since our family emigrated to the US. We'll see what Disney ultimately brings back, but our family has moved on. The magic just isn't there so much for us. Disneyland largely lives in my heart now. I hope future generations enjoy and I may go from time to time. But now that the AP era is over, we have moved on to other things.

As Eagleman wisely says, there's more to life than Disney. So much to see and do, be sure to explore.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post

As Eagleman wisely says, there's more to life than Disney. So much to see and do, be sure to explore.
              Well...Thank You my Friend
              Just my Opinion.....
              I just feel one could be missing out life so much.......
              Doing same things ,and going to same place's, over and over....
              When this World have so much to offer and SEE.......

(one should do more while they are young and able )
              Life is a Adventure of it self !
              imo
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Speaking of trying new things. Maybe I'll get a Knott's Annual Pass once the parks open again. It's less convenient for me to get there, but would be significantly cheaper.

I know it's not Disneyland, but Disney is apparently punishing me and every other passholder, for a situation which was no fault of ours. And now they are simply looking to make money by attempting to get me to buy something of lesser quality, or to buy 1-3 day passes, which I never did before. So I'll spend my money elsewhere. I admit that I got immense value out of my AP, given the # of times I went, but they also made money off me on food & souvenirs, which now they will not get.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalDisneyFan View Post
                  Speaking of trying new things. Maybe I'll get a Knott's Annual Pass once the parks open again. It's less convenient for me to get there, but would be significantly cheaper.

I know it's not Disneyland, but Disney is apparently punishing me and every other passholder, for a situation which was no fault of ours. And now they are simply looking to make money by attempting to get me to buy something of lesser quality, or to buy 1-3 day passes, which I never did before. So I'll spend my money elsewhere. I admit that I got immense value out of my AP, given the # of times I went, but they also made money off me on food & souvenirs, which now they will not get.
                  I had a pass for Knott's......I enjoy the food (which is pricey -but filling and good )
                  and one can buy thing's which is hard to get in our area....such as "EAGLE" T-shirts

I grew up ,with Disneyland and Knott's , in my back yard.......

But ,l love simple life too
                  like go to Newport Bay and walk around ,some time go on the ferry boat cross the bay~~~~~~~~
                  There is a lot one can do ,to get out and get fresh air !
                  IMO
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I think you're right. Something not completely unlike the Costco DL package. That said, I have not missed DL much if at all. I wasn't sure I'd get any level of pass once their offered anyway.

Comment

I'll admit that as a Flex AP, the reservation system didn't really bother me in the slightest. Most weekends I was able to guarantee a Saturday / Sunday at least twice each month. I work Monday through Friday, so those weekend reservation days were always something to plan for and look forward to.

Regarding prices, I will say that if a regular Disneyland ticket is unable to cover any sort of deposit expected, or if the monthly payment program is scrapped and/or exceeds $50 each month, I don't think I would be tempted to sign up for a new membership.

Disneyland is a wonderful place, yes, and there are plenty of people willing to shill, yes. However... based on what I experienced as an AP –– the lack of care being put into certain lands and attractions, and what felt like the lack or lack of accessibility to live entertainment (hot take, but the Fantasmic! and World of Color fast pass booths are a nay for me... not to mention, the crowds around these live shows SUCK!) –– doesn't leave me wanting to pay anymore than what I was already paying before.

Sure, Disney is probably doing what's best for Disney, but every customer has their limit. I know mine. A rich man can have fun seeing both Yetis broken on the same back-jabbing ride on the Matterhorn.

Comment

My thought is that Disney will use a point system that incorporates their tiered ticket pricing. Your Membership level gets you so many points to use per year based on Membership level. The number of points you redeem for a ticket is based on the existing tiered ticket pricing. Visiting during peak periods is going to cost more points than visiting midweek in the winter. With a finite number of points to use each year you are going to be more selective of when you go, possibly opting to get more bang for you buck and going during the low point periods to increase the number of visits you get.
                        Disney could offer special deals during periods of low attendence like on rainy days by offering reduced point pricing.
                        I am interested to hear what Disney ends up doing, because they will do something. They loved the money the AP program brought in, but not the impact the program had on the park.

Comment

I predicted a flex pass for all quite a few months ago. But first a hard ticket only event makes sense. The longer this has gone on, the more I realize the flex pass is the only way. I’m sure when they eventually do go back to having the passes at all again they’ll have tiered flex passes with something closer to (but maybe not completely) unfettered access at the top of the scale. The most “unlimited” pass will be pricey for sure this time.

The truth is it would make zero sense for them to keep things the way they were. I'm glad they are doing it now and giving time for people to get their refunds handled and get their anger out.

I understand others anger but I personally am not angry about it at all. I don’t mind anything that helps crowd control. The pandemic has brought us this but I think anyone who thinks they wouldn’t enjoy (at least a slightly) less crowded Disneyland than what it was before just isn’t being honest with themselves.
                          Last edited by Mom kissed Walt; 01-15-2021, 05:33 AM. Reason: Typo
                          You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling
                          It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

I think once the parks can go back to normal you will see a return of the annual pass. I do however think that you will see a different version of the AP program. For my own preference I hope they do end the SO Cal options I think the top tiers are good options. The So Cal options and the payment plans are likely the cause of the crowding issues. Again just my opinion so have a freak out if you were once a So Cal pass holder.
                            BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

The only issue I see is with the reservations for popular times being limited. Before the AP ended (and Disney was hopeful about getting it running in 2020), there was concern from APs that they would be paying for pass but would not be able to secure a good time to go. Having a limited number of entries is reasonable (as a local AP). However paying the prices Disney asked before, but now needing a reservation that might be hard to get isn’t a good selling point. Not that I don’t think Disney will try or even succeed

Disney constantly raised their pass prices and despite grumblings, most people still paid. I wonder if this will be the breaking point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                                I'd rather not deal with reservations, but I'd be fine paying for only X amount of visits per month or year. I'd like to see a 2/month with parking included pass if this is the way they choose to go.
                                This is what I am hoping for. Before the cancellation of the program we had 2 Signature for my wife and I and (for parking and discounts ) and we had 2 Flex passes for the kids. For the 2 months we had them we were able to get all the days we needed ( i would always book a month out and just keep moving the booking ) We had the variations of this over the past 7 years but we seldom went more than 15 times per year and always went at least 10 times. so a 10-15 times pass would be ideal for us but the cost would be a factor. That will be the big question for any future program is how badly will they try and gouge guests.
                                Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

My best guess is that the program will be replaced with varying levels of FLEX passes. It gives Disney information on parks attendance in advance and allows them to micromanage scheduling etc. etc.

Perhaps higher tiers will have fewer blackout days for when they can attend, or have more days a month. But they will all be reserved in advanced and can change according to Disney's whims.

Comment

Im hoping it is Low Price with minimal days and no perks, ie parking, lower discount and so on vs. High Price with all Perks like Sig Plus

"To All Who Come To This Happy Place Your Welcome!"

Comment

Originally posted by Neff man View Post
                                      My thought is that Disney will use a point system that incorporates their tiered ticket pricing. Your Membership level gets you so many points to use per year based on Membership level. The number of points you redeem for a ticket is based on the existing tiered ticket pricing. Visiting during peak periods is going to cost more points than visiting midweek in the winter. With a finite number of points to use each year you are going to be more selective of when you go, possibly opting to get more bang for you buck and going during the low point periods to increase the number of visits you get.
                                      Disney could offer special deals during periods of low attendence like on rainy days by offering reduced point pricing.
                                      I am interested to hear what Disney ends up doing, because they will do something. They loved the money the AP program brought in, but not the impact the program had on the park.
                                      This actually sounds about right to me. Their point system apparently works well for them with DVC so why not apply something very similar to park visits?
                                      "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

I'm thinking that if DL just opened in July as expected, without the unions stepping in and making it sound like a death trap, then the parks would be open, reduced capacity of course like Disneyworld, and then we wouldn't be having this topic to discuss. But many employees didn't want to return. Why? The $600 a week bonus pay from not working? Maybe. But everything looked good back in July for an opening and then it just went away. Just my opinion. But I know we will be back to normal soon and I will buy whatever pass DLR offers. Less people will be fine with me.
                                        "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X